Guest Found Dead ✓

Av sparklingauthoress

When her close friend and neighbour, Sarah, is found dead in a pool of blood, Lisa sets on a mission to unrav... Mer

Introduction
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seveteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Epilogue
Appreciation
More from The Sparkling Authoress

Chapter Six

100 10 5
Av sparklingauthoress

The Burial

IT had been almost a week. Sarah had died on Monday and now it was Sunday.

The clouds were bright so the burial was outdoors. Not a single colour apart from black was being worn. Be it a dress, suit, or shirt and trousers, it was all black as the residents of the town all came to mourn the death of a stranger who easily made her way into their hearts and was welcomed and loved by them.

Some people came up to talk. Lisa decided she couldn't so Hugh went up instead.

"Sarah was so many things to all of us. A friend. A helper. A bubble of joy always spreading it with us. And most of all a sister, to me. When she first came she was confused about so many things and it was funny seeing her getting used to our town and the way things work here. I would have never thought she would have met such a fate here, but I really wish wherever she is now that she's happy there. She deserves all the happiness in the world and if we couldn't give her that, if we couldn't make her as happy as she made us then we at least should give her justice.", he said and quietly went to his seat with a small applause.

Then Robin came up.

"Our small town has been tainted with such huge tragedy. Today is a sad day as we mourn one who was very close to us. She didn't grow up here but she came here, and as if she was one of us, she weaved her way into our hearts and lives. She was very helpful to all of us and helped me in so many ways. More than I can ever repay.", he paused.

"I know you all are wondering who did this but I want to assure you that I am here and I am the Sheriff of this town and I will at all cost bring forth the person who did this. So this town and Sarah's soul will be at peace.", he said and was given a huge applause.

On his way down the podium, he gave Gwendolyn a pointed and determined look and she gave him a 'the floor is yours' look. He looked at Carter who glared at him before he continued talking to his wife.

Now they were lowering the coffin. Josh was the first to throw sand on it once it was lowered. Then Lisa, Hugh, Raven, Pablo, Miles and some other people.

Successfully, they covered it. It took a while before people started leaving. Right now, people were just conversing.

"Did you hear how he talked.", Hugh started. "Like he was some hero. I am here and I am the Sheriff. Like how is that going to solve anything. He didn't say how or what little progress he has made, if any at all.", he added, mimicking Robin.

"C'mon Hugh, don't talk like that.", Lisa said.

"I'm serious Lis, what does he want us to do, put blind faith that he is here.", Hugh said and Miles laughed.

"Bro, why are you pissed?", Pablo asked.

"Yeah. Or is it 'cause he got a better applause than you had.", Miles said and the group burst into light laughter at Miles's statement

Even Lisa who had been dull since morning smiled. Hugh just rolled his eyes.

"C'mon Miles, look at where we are. Do you think that's what I'll think about now?", Hugh snapped.

"Woah sorry man, I didn't mean to...", Miles didn't finish cause Hugh rudely muttered something about fresh air and left.

"Don't worry Miles, he's just going through a hard time.", Lisa said.

"And so am I, but I'm trying to lighten the mood here. We lost a friend, a dear friend. Sarah was also very close to me. Not because he was closer to her doesn't mean that I don't feel the loss as much as he does.", Miles said and turned around.

Lisa looked at Pablo for help and he nodded.

"C'mon.", Pablo started as he took Miles somewhere leaving Lisa and Raven alone.

Lisa studied Raven, she had been looking different since the murder. Raven was normally the quiet type, not that she wasn't crazy and outgoing at times but she was the most levelheaded amongst them and she always came up with calm and collected answers to any problem.

"Raven.", Lisa started. "I know how you feel and that you feel sad and distraught but please, don't go back into your shell again.", Lisa said.

Lisa and Raven had been friends since they were kids in kindergarten along with Pablo. It was the three of them, Lisa, Raven and Pablo that have been together for the longest before Hugh and Miles came.

When Raven had lost both her parents in a car crash she had gone to live with Pablo and his mother, her aunt. They were the only family members she had left but they were extended family.

Meaning no matter how Pablo tried to make her feel at home, it didn't work. Calm Raven was now extra calm and always scarce. She would always disappear off to somewhere.

It was Lisa who helped her out. Lisa would always pester and follow her and didn't let Raven be on her own for long periods of time. They became attached at the hip and ever since then, they had never been separated, they were more than best friends and even more than sisters.

Raven looked at Lisa and hugged her.

"Will you always be here Lisa?", Raven asked and the way she sounded broke Lisa's heart. She had a way of grieving that was different. Raven never cried but sounded so pained if you weren't looking at her you would think she was crying.

"Always."

"And you'll never leave like they did as Sarah did.",

"Never Raven, never.", Lisa said.

》》》》》

Carter sat in his office waiting, not long there was a knock and in came Gwendolyn Martins, the real love of his life. He had loved Gwendolyn since they were in high school. It was the relationship that everyone looked up too and dreamed of having. They were perfect for each other, both had outstanding looks and complemented each other perfectly.

His announcement of his marriage to Maria was the shock of the year for the town of Liddenville. It was just after he was fresh from college. Some were shocked but in the end were able to understand why as one could easily deduce Carter's reason for marrying Maria.

His parents were wealthy and influential and they only wanted to increase that wealth. They got his little sister married to the Mayor of New York's son and so she left for New York.

Since it was just him and his little sister and he was the first child, he had the duty of carrying on the family name.

Gwendolyn wasn't a rich girl and neither did she have rich parents so Carter's parents were always against their relationship. When his father had told him about Maria, he had revolted but in the end there was only so little he could do to oppose his father and he ended up marrying Maria.

His marriage to Maria was like a contract to him. He only married her because of her affiliation with rich people. After the marriage his father had explained to him that he didn't have to love Maria, he just had to work with her to get an heir that would continue the blood line and that was all he did.

Gwendolyn was very angry at that time the announcement was made and invitations were sent. She was angry and sad and the way people gossiped about her made her feel worse. When the marriage date was drawing near, Gwendolyn left town and didn't come back till months after and when she did, she was bitter to everyone not giving anyone the chance to talk about her past in front of her.

It took a lot of convincing and pleading from Carter to finally get Gwendolyn back but when he did, he was the happiest man. Sure he couldn't divorce Maria and risk losing majority of his affluent contacts and he couldn't go around with Gwendolyn in public because he had a reputation to maintain.

The Winter men were men of honour and promise, was what his father always drilled into his head from a very young age,  but with time he and Gwendolyn accepted their fate, that even if they weren't together as before, they still loved one another and even if they couldn't express that love in public like before, they still had one another and that was enough for both of them.

Since then they had been meeting in private for the sake of their reputation but Gwendolyn didn't care. If anyone found out it would only be fake because it wouldn't be on the papers. Would she publish her own illicit love affair, of course not?

She came closer and landed a soft kiss on his lips.

"You locked the door right?", he asked.

"Yes of course.", she said and they teased more before Carter pulled away to the wine cabinet in his office.

He brought out a bottle of wine and two wine glasses.

"Hmm we're celebrating?", she said.

"Of course we are. You don't know how happy I am about that girl's death.", Carter said and Gwendolyn smiled as he filled the glass.

"She was always so nice, trying to help the world. What did she think of herself coming here and embarrassing me the way she did, acting like she's some golden girl, loved and cherished by everyone and soaking in all their good words and praises. She deserved what happened to her.", Gwendolyn said bitterly and took her cup.

"That silly social climber. She came and within a week wooed my son. Whatever spell she cast on him I don't know. Can you imagine, I had just met a rich old friend and I was thinking of introducing Josh to his daughter when he suddenly comes home telling me his in love.", Carter said and she scoffed.

"I bet he doesn't even know what it is.", she said and Carter smiled.

"I knew I had to do something so I called in Mark.", Carter said.

"Mark, your private detective?"

"Yes. I had to find out who she was, she was obviously not rich but I needed to know about her. No one really questioned where she came from, even Josh didn't know much about her life before here. All she said was that she was the only child and her parents had died but that wasn't enough information or me."

"Did Mark find anything?", Gwendolyn asked.

"Oh yes he did, he did find something about her. Something I revealed to Josh at the lunch we had at my house with her. It was something that Josh was quite angry about so he didn't even take her home that day. Oh I was so overjoyed, from his reaction I hoped that he was starting to see Sarah for the snake she was. But then...", Carter scowled.

"What happened?", Gwendolyn asked seeming interested in what had changed Carter's mood so quickly.

"The idiot went back to her. I thought he was going to call things off but he went back to her, like a dog following bone.", he said and angrily gulped his wine.

"Hmm. I'm not gonna ask what exactly it was you found about Sarah because it's of no use to me now. She's dead and no longer in our lives, you know I was very worried when she found out about us but it's good she's gone, at least now we don't have to worry about her blabbing her mouth off to those ill-mannered good for nothing friends of hers. Gwendolyn said.

"Speaking of friends, I like what you wrote about that friend of hers.", Carter said.

"Oh, that was Sandra's idea, sensible young girl. Knows where's she heading and how best to get there, but she got a whiplash for it.", she said and Carter looked confused.

"She was slapped. Useless friends Sarah had.", she said.

"A set of mediocre people all wanting attention. I'm happy I was able to keep Josh out of their reach.", he said.

"Speaking of, how is he dealing with this?", Gwendolyn asked but she didn't sound like she was concerned.

"Oh you know him, probably smoking or crying his eyes out to his mother.", he said with disgust.

"I've always tried to groom him properly, but he just goes off acting like an idiot. I'm tired of him.", Carter said and she held his cheek.

"Reminds me of someone I once knew.", she said with a smile.

"What do you mean?", he asked.

"You know how you were in high school. Always the rebel, the bad boy, the jerk. You name it and that is exactly what attracted me to you.", she said and pecked him on the lips, then she turned to pour more wine into their glasses.

"To the only obstacle we had in our way being eliminated.", he said and they clinked their glasses.

"Cheers.", they both said and after a sip resumed their game of kisses.

Oh, Raven's story is so touching, but what was that about in Carter's office, I guess you guys have an advantage over the sheriff.

Vote, Comment, Share
SJ💝

Fortsätt läs

Du kommer också att gilla

647K 15.4K 27
Arianna Mitchell has always been the pack's most hated werewolf. Everyone picked on her, everyone hated her. Ever since her mother's accident, her fa...
306K 5K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION Griffin Tomlin is dead. And Clara's sister killed him . . . Four months after the murder, the entire town of Shiloh is still...
1.1K 306 42
Perhaps things would have turned out differently. Maybe I could have avoided what was to come. Maybe it's a game life wanted me to play, and there's...
737 127 27
*** The First Book of the Spectral Seekers Series*** •••••••••••••••••••• Even after having heard stories of spirits most of their lives, five boys s...