Paint You Wings // Ashton Irw...

By rdysasi

"All you needed was for someone to paint you wings; to set you free from the memories that tied you down." ~~... More

Paint You Wings // a.i.
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-one
Twenty-two
Twenty-three
Twenty-four
Twenty-five
Twenty-six
Twenty-seven
Twenty-eight
Twenty-nine
Thirty
Thirty-one
Thirty-two
Thirty-three
Thirty-four
Another Author's Note
Thirty-five
Thirty-six
Thirty-seven (Part One)
Thirty-seven (Part Two)
Thirty-eight
Thirty-nine
Not an update
Forty
Forty-one
Character Q&A
Forty-two
Forty-three
Forty-four
Forty-five
Forty-six
Forty-seven
Forty-eight
Forty-nine
Fifty
Fifty-one
Fifty-two
Final Author's Note
SEQUEL
BIG ANNOUNCEMENT

Character Q&A: Answers

15.8K 330 230
By rdysasi

The author aka me (Rebecca)

@adorable_neonkitty: What inspired you to write this and do you have any tips for new writers?

I've been an avid reader of fanfiction since I was a teen and back in high school, many of my teachers said that I was good at writing and so earlier this year when I discovered 5sos (No, I have not been a fan of them for a long time, but I don't want to hear that 'fake' fan bullshit (not saying that you would say that to me, but I'm just saying in general). I support them and love them just as much as a fan who has known about them since they began their career) I began reading some fanfics of them and I was like "I wonder if people would read my writing?" So one day while I was listening to All Time Low, the song 'Paint You Wings' came on and I was listening to the lyrics and I thought that that would be a good story to play off of. At first I was going to make PYW in relation to the song lyrics however, I completely deviated away from that because I had so many other ideas for this story.

As for tips for new writers, just go for it! I didn't know what the hell I was doing when I first started this story and I still don't. I'm still learning. Reading is a good way to pick up on different styles of writing as well as seeing how plots and character progression are shown. But don't rely on that. Every writer has their own style. But one major tip that I can give is to not write just to see what others think of it or to just get millions of reads. You need to have that drive to write because you want to. If you have an idea for a story, then write it. If someone says they don't like it, screw them. Writing isn't meant to please everyone. This is a very long answer; I am so sorry, haha :)

@aylahipster: Can I be Michael's girlfriend sometime in the story? @Lynss_: Can I be set up as Luke's girlfriend somewhere in the story? This is literally one of my favorite books and I'd be so happy. @5soslittlemonster98: Can Luke have a girlfriend too? I'm available!!

Okay, I grouped these questions together because they're all related. I'm still working on figuring out the plot for the sequel to PYW (as well as figuring out the rest of PYW) and I would like to incorporate more characters in that. I haven't decided if the other boys are going to get girlfriends or not (but they seriously need them because they're so cute and sweet and ugh) but if the time ever comes where I will need girlfriends for them, I will consider it. I'm not going to guarantee it, but I will consider it.

@lilleone: How are you?

I'm great! Other than the fact that I am extremely stressed because of college and have had two stress-induced breakdowns where I cried in my car on my way home from class because there is a shit ton of stuff that I have to do, but there aren't enough hours in the day to do it. But other than that, I'm good. Thank you for asking! :)

@1ds_chickz: Rebecca, where do you get your inspiration for you stories from?

I get my inspiration mostly from personal experiences. There are several things in PYW that have happened to me, but some of them are not to the extreme that I have written them. The same goes for my other story Piece of Cake. I'm taking actual experiences that are happening with my best friend who is getting married next week (November 16th)! But I get a lot of inspiration from music as well. There could be a verse or chorus that sticks out to me and then I come up with so many ideas that could turn into a story. It's really weird, haha.

@PumpkinSpiceLuke: Update maybe?

HAHAHAHAHAHA. Please, I would love to update, but with college being a pain in the ass, I barely have time to breath, eat, or sleep. I'm trying my hardest but I literally have no time to update. That's why I did this Q&A thing to leave you guys with something until I can start writing.  

@chloe_martin10 : what does rdysasi mean?

I've actually been waiting for someone to ask me this. It's my first and middle name initials plus my last name: Rebecca Danielle Ysasi :)

@allykat1316: How did you learn to write? I mean, I'm only 15 but want to be a writer and your fanfiction (being a fanfiction) is so well written, everything makes sense and it all fits together timeline wise. 

I can't really say that I "learned" how to write. I sort of just improved with what I had. When I first started writing PYW I had no idea what I was doing. I had no plan. I just had an idea and rolled with it. I didn't plan out the plot like I should have; I just wrote chapter by chapter. It wasn't until I took a Creative Writing course in college when I really learned how to write fiction properly. Even though I never had the plot fully developed, I still had an idea as to where the story was going. Eventually I figured out (by the use of my characters' motivations) the direction of my story and how I wanted the characters to develop. My characters were my main focus. They drive the story. They make the decisions. I just guide them there. I feel like I'm going off on a tangent. I took an Advanced Fiction Writing course in college as well which is where my writing really improved and I understood the proper elements that need to be incorporated into a story. It takes a lot of practice and there are going to be times when you think your writing is absolute trash (I still think that on a daily basis) but the only way to improve is to keep practicing. Reading is a great way to pick up on different writing styles as well. :)

@allykay1316: Why did you decide to choose the name Emilia?

I'm going to be honest, I really didn't put much thought into the names of my characters. But midway through the story, I looked up the meaning of the name Emilia and it means to strive, to excel, or to rival. I honestly think the meaning of the name fits Emilia as a character. She is someone who strives to overcome her fears and to be the best person she can be. Personally, I've always loved the name Emilia and I love the nickname Emmie even more. So naturally I used the two and I love the outcome of it.

@allykat1316: Why did you decide to give Jared a background that make your fans (no matter how angry we are with him) pity him?

Every character needs a background whether it be as developed as Jared's or barely detailed. I wanted my readers to connect with an unlikable character and sympathize with him. I wanted to make him as real as possible, and by giving him a backstory like his, it makes you realize as a reader that he's still human in this fictional world. As much as I hate him and as much as I know you guys do too, that backstory was significant for his development and actions.  

Emilia

@recklesshemmo: On a scale of 1-10, how much do you love Ashton?

Do you remember that friendship scale that I used for Ashton when I first met him until we started dating and then he basically broke that scale? Well, that's not the case for this. I honestly think I would scale my love for Ash at about 6.5-7. The whole concept of love is still fuzzy to me, but I know that he'll help me break this scale sooner or later.  

@5soslittlemonster98: Since you met Ashton your life turned 360 in every way possible, but of all the things that had happened between you two what would you like to change and why?

I think you mean my life has made a 180 not 360. If it were a 360, I would be back to contemplating throwing iPhones across the library and listening to the idiots on campus for my personal amusement. But he has changed my life in so many ways that I can't even fathom it sometimes. I think the only thing that I would change would be running away from Ash after he confessed that he liked me. I think we both needed each other at that time, but it was something new to me—something that I didn't understand but I wish that I did. However, I think we both needed that space and if we didn't, I don't think we would be dating right now, or even talking to each other for that matter.   

@carkghluyd: Do u think u will visit Jared in jail?

Absolutely not.

Ashton

@1ds_chickz: Ashton, are you gagging for it yet? Haha

I'm not that desperate to sleep with Emilia. I mean yeah, I would love to and I can't wait until she's ready because it will be amazing, but I can manage until then. I'm just hoping it's not going to be too far into the future because I only have so much self-control, but I wouldn't force her into it.

@5soslittlemonster98: what of spilling the drink on Emmie's shirt was the best part? Do you think you'll ever regret it?

Seeing her bra through her wet shirt. I'm joking, but it was a plus. If I didn't spill her drink on her, I would have never met Emilia. I couldn't have asked for anything better to happen. I will never regret it. Why would I regret the best thing that has ever happened to me?

@PumpkinSpiceLuke: What inspired you to paint the wings?

Emmie in general. In a way, she resembled that of a caged bird with its wings clipped. She couldn't get away from her past and the same goes for me. So while I was in the art studio, the only thing I could think of were wings. We needed new wings (metaphorically) so that we could escape and no longer be restrained by our past experiences.     

@hugtheclifford: Have you decided if you're going to Natalie's wedding?

No comment.

@carkghluyd: Where do u think being an art student will take you in the future?

I'm honestly not sure. Maybe I could sell some of my work or something. Right now I'm just enjoying doing what I love.

Julia

@Lynss_: Are you in love with Calum?

I love him, but I can't say that I'm in love with him just yet. I don't feel like I'm at that point.

@5soslittlemonster98: which was the first impression Ashton gave you since Emilia didn't interact too much with people and this was a guy she was talking about?

I thought he was a godsend. For him to be able to get Em to talk to him when they first met was completely shocking. She has never let anyone in that easily so I knew that he was something special. He sounded cute when she first talked about him but at the same time she kind of spoke about him like he annoyed the crap out of her, haha. I knew he was a good guy when I first met him. He always looked at her like she was a piece of art. He cared about her even though he had only known her for a short period of time. He was perfect for Em from day one to now.

@carkghluyd: What's your major?

I'm currently an undecided major. I'm very indecisive sometimes, so I know once I do choose a major, I'll most likely switch it to something else. But I think English would be interesting to study. Maybe even Communications.

Luke

@5soslittlemonster98: why are you so cute and all ears and always willing to help? I mean, what drives you to be like that and why you feel such like a brother to Emmie?

I'm just a good listener and I like to help people out, especially those close to me. It's just what I do. I care about everyone's well being and if I can do something for them in their time of need then I will. Emmie is like family to me. You do anything for family. I want to protect her just like Ash and the rest of the guys do. I don't know if I can answer as to 'why' I feel like a brother to her. I just do. It's one of those things that you can't explain.  

@hugtheclifford: Have you ever liked Emilia at one point?

I won't lie, the first time I saw her when she came over to our house, I gained a crush on her, but Ash would kill me if he ever knew this. But that crush is slowly fading.

@ispeakenglish: Does Luke have a crush on anyone in his classes!?!?!?

No, I'm not really interested in any of the girls in my classes, but I do have a slight crush on someone else.

Michael

@aylahipster: What's your type of girl?

Honestly, anyone who can put up with me.

@5soslittlemonster98: do you think you'll ever stop dying your hair? Why are you such a procrastinator?

Maybe one day. And I'm not that much of a procrastinator; it just depends on what it is I want to procrastinate on.

@hugtheclifford: What was your reaction when you found Emilia in the closet with Jared at the party?

I was completely shocked and confused with a sprinkle of what the fuck. That's not something that I would like to relive because it was the most heartbreaking thing to see Emmie on the floor after Jared ran with his tail between his legs. 

@ispeakenglish: Does Michael have a crush on a girl in one of his classes!?!?!? (if so, I'd think that'd be fun to write)

I don't currently have a crush on any girl in my classes, but a new semester means new girls, so maybe there will be a new crush for me in the spring semester.

Calum

@Lynss_: What do you like about Julia the most?

She's very energetic and loving and will do anything for Emmie as if it was her duty. Her loyalty is just admirable. I love that about her.

@5soslittlemonster98: what's your favourite thing about Julia? Do you think you'll still have time for "guy time" on the future considering you and Ashton both have girlfriends and schedules to attend?

Bros before girls who we love but sometimes need a break from every once in a while. There will always be time for "guy time."

@ispeakenglish: have you and Julia done the dirty deed ;)

Let's just say we were trying not to be too loud. ;)

Jared

@solorio505, @adorable_neonkitty: Why are you such a dick?

Why are you so rude? Is it so wrong for me to want Emilia?

@aylahipster: SUCH A DICK

That's not really a question...but again, rude.

@Lynss_: Why/how did you turn out to be the person you are today?

My dad abused me. I didn't receive love like a normal person. When I found Emilia, I wasn't going to let the one person who actually cared about me go. So I had to make sure I did everything to make her mine in the only way I knew how: dominance and force.  

@lilleone: Why are you an ass?

Because I want Emilia.

@5soslittlemonster98: let me start by saying YOU'RE A FVCKING PRICK (sorry Becca ik it's your character and he's your BB but yeah he is!) what is wrong with you? Why would you like to hurt such a sweet girl like Emilia? She's not an object, you know that, right?

Hurting her was never my intention. I just want for her to be mine and mine only. She may not be an object but she can certainly be used as one.

@lexlovesniall: where is your chill

I have no chill. Deal with it.

__________

A/N:

That was fun, haha. I hope you guys learned something new about them! If you have any more questions, just send them in and I will add them to this. Or you can go to my ask.fm or my tumblr and ask questions there :)

Also, I just wanted to mention that @sissi29 is translating Paint You Wings into French!! I think it's so cool that someone actually wanted to translate this story! It really blows my mind.

And lastly, PYW and POC are nominated for the 5sos Watty Awards: Underdog Edition by @The5SOSWattyAwards for Best Plot and Best Ashton and it would mean so much if you could vote for them!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.2K 1.2K 47
So this story is about a girl named Brooke who's Ashton Irwin's girlfriend. They create great memories, fall in love more and more everyday, until th...
1.1K 37 27
Ashton Irwin fanfiction
38.3K 2.1K 55
Meeting someone at your lowest point who understands the struggle you're facing can be everything, until your struggles become the reasons you're hur...
86K 3.4K 47
[COMPLETE]✔️ On New Years day a cruise ship full of hundreds of innocent people find themselves trapped in the middle of a powerful ocean storm. The...