Just Friends || h.s.

By alostbookworm

PREVIOUSLY NAMED "TENSION" ~Nothing is louder than the silence between two people who used to be so in love w... More

Just Friends
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
42.5
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
Epilogue - 1
Epilogue - 2

13

3.5K 84 36
By alostbookworm

• • •
Madison

"What did 50 cent do when he was hungry?"

I stepped out of the elevator in front of Harry and Zayn, waiting for one of them to answer as I pet the baby kitten in my hand. They had decided to join me on my trip to Anna's place to pick up her kitten since she was staying with Brandon and I.

"I don't know, Maddie. What did he do?" Zayn asked.

"58."

Harry snorted and held back a chuckle while Zayn shook his head, smiling at my lame attempt at a joke.

"Yeah, leave the shitty jokes to Harry."

"Hey!" Harry whined. "My jokes aren't shitty."

It was my turn to hold back a laugh. "Sure they're not."

"What? You used to laugh at my jokes." Harry frowned.

"Because we were dating. I had no choice." I teased, smiling when the kitten licked my finger.

"Wow." Harry shook his head in disbelief, fighting a grin.

I stopped in my tracks when I saw a head of brown hair walking towards the door of his apartment, and I was filled with anger - and relief that he was at least alive.

"Hold him for a second." I tell Harry, handing him the kitten gently before turning back around.

"Okay?" He muttered confusedly as he stared at the small being in his hand.

"Hey!" I called, running after Louis. His head shot up in panic and he started to run in the opposite direction, but I caught up to him within seconds, tackling him to the ground and straddling his lap. Louis huffed from beneath me, trying to push me off of him but I slapped his hands and pinned them to his sides.

"Where the fuck have you been?"

He didn't answer, but he looked on the verge of hyperventilating.

"I'm sorry." He breathed shakily, and my anger faded when his eyes started to water. Feeling bad now, I climb off of him and help him up.

"You and I need to have a talk."

"I know." He whispered, avoiding my gaze and staring down at the floor.

"Look who's alive!" Zayn exclaimed as he and Harry approached us from behind me.

Louis ignored them and continued to unlock his door. "Maddie only."

Zayn and Harry frowned, sharing a weird glance before looking at me. I just shrugged and followed Louis inside of his apartment. He locked the door behind us and nearly broke down the minute we sat down in the living room.

"I know you guys are all upset and I'm sorry I've been gone but I just - I needed to be alone for a while." Louis apologized, hiding his shaking hands in his lap.

"We were all worried, Lou. Where on earth did you go?" I asked softly, suppressing my anger seeing the fragile state he seemed to be in.

"You know I would never purposely do anything to hurt Riley." He started, ignoring my question.

"You didn't cheat on her, did you?" I had to ask.

His eyes widen and he shakes his head. "No. Never."

"Then what's wrong? She thinks you are cheating or disgusted with her or something."

"Recently, I...realized something about myself. I'm not disgusted with Riley. I love her to death, and in no way is any of this because of her." He continued nervously, tears slipping past his cheeks. "I don't want to hurt her, Maddie."

I scoot closer to him and rest my hand on his to keep it from shaking violently, because this was honestly starting to scare me a little. "Louis, whatever it is, you can tell me."

He sniffled and hung his head in disappointment. "I think - No, I know..."

I stayed silent, hoping it would encourage him to keep going.

"I like men."

His chest started to rise and fall heavily as he swallowed back a sob, and I smiled sadly.

"Louis..." I trailed off, releasing his hands and pulling him into a tight hug. He relaxed in my arms, the sob finally leaving his throat as he rested his head against my shoulder.

"I'm sorry." He cried.

I rubbed his back gently, my eyes watering. "Don't be sorry, Lou. You being gay doesn't change what any of us think of you."

My words only made him cry harder, and his arms tightened around my waist. "I don't know how to tell her, Maddie. She's going to hate me."

"She's not going to hate you. If she really loves you - which she does - she would understand and support you." I pulled back from our hug to see his red, puffy eyes, and used my hand to wipe his tears away.

He wasn't full on crying anymore, but he continued to take shaky breaths while tears slipped past his lashes. "I went to England to visit my mum's grave. I felt like I had to tell her first before I told anyone else."

My heart broke right then and there, and I squeezed his hand. "I know she's very proud of you."

He smiled thankfully, nodding slightly. "You are the first person I've told this. I knew you'd understand the most."

"Oh my god. Coming out to my dad was the scariest shit ever for me." I laughed. "I thought he was going to disown me for being bisexual. I know it's not exactly the same thing as coming out as gay, but I felt that relief once I told him, and we both cried like babies when he said he'd support me no matter who I love."

"Your dad is a huge softie no matter how hard he looks." Louis chuckled. "Thank you for listening."

"Thank you for telling me." I responded, pulling him into another firm hug. "I love you, Louis. Always."

"I love you too, Maddie." He sighed in my embrace before we both pulled back. "I should really go talk to Riley."

"I know she's my best friend, and she deserves the truth, but only talk to her if you're ready. Don't talk to her because you feel like you have to." I reassured him.

"I know, but I want to. I'm ready and you're right. She deserves the truth." He nodded to himself.

"Okay then. Let me know how it goes. If you ever need anything, you can tell me."

"I know." He sighed as the both of us stood up and walked to the front door. "Also, don't tell the guys. I want to do it myself."

"Of course. It's not my place to say anything at all." I squeezed his shoulder before he opened the door for me to walk out first, forgetting that Zayn and Harry were standing outside the door.

I take the cat back from Harry, listening to him meow quietly as he relaxed against my chest and arm.

"What happened?" Zayn asked.

"Nothing." I answered. "He just apologized for going missing and he will explain everything later."

"That's it?"

"Yup. Now I have to go give a pregnant lady her kitten before she starts crying." I stated before walking towards the stairs leading up to my floor.

"Aren't you allergic to cats?" Harry questioned as he and Zayn followed me up.

"Yeah, but he's too cute so I don't care." I smiled down, petting his orange fur and listening to him purr.

"Your funeral." Zayn commented, earning a slap on the back of his head from Harry.

I'll admit that recently Harry and I have been getting along great, but every time I think it's going well, I remember that I still have news to break to him eventually that could potentially ruin everything.

Once we make it to my apartment, I open the door to find Anna and Brandon on the couch watching tv.

"Leo!" Anna gasped with a wide grin, seeing the cat in my hands. I brought him over to her and set him in her arms. "Thank you, Maddie."

"You are very welcome."

"Remember it's only for today. Maddie can't be around him for too long." Brandon reminded her, but I hit his shoulder.

"Stop it. I'll be fine. Don't you have a work trip to pack for?"

"Yeah, I should probably get up." He answered before turning to Anna. "Are you sure you'll be okay? I can call them and tell him I can't come."

"I am sure. The due date isn't for another week." Anna smiled, kissing his cheek.

"I'm believing you." My brother sighed before standing up and walking to his room. I took his spot next to Anna.

"You guys can sit down." I said to Zayn and Harry humorously as I that stood by the door. Zayn set the kitten's carrier down next to the couch and sat down on the other side of the sectional next to Harry.

"So how did you and Brandon meet?" Zayn asked Anna.

Anna glanced at me knowingly before answered. "I've known Maddie since junior year of college so I met Brandon shortly after."

"So you've been together for two years?" He followed.

"No." She chuckled. "We started dating a couple months after I told him I was pregnant. We had a one night stand."

Zayn's eyes widened. "Oh. Well then."

"Yeah, not exactly an ideal love story, but I'm happy." She smiled. She really had that pregnancy glow, and I was happy for both her and my brother.

"Do you know the sex of the baby?" Harry asked her, finding the voice to jump in.

"It's a girl." She answered giddily before turning to me. "I forgot to tell Brandon, but I had another name idea."

"What is it?" I asked excitedly.

"Aurora - after your nonna."

My smile nearly fell. "Oh."

She noticed my mood drop slightly, and it worried her. "Is it bad? I'm sorry."

"No no. It's beautiful. I'm sure Brandon will love it." I nodded, pushing my sorrow down and forcing another smile.

"Are you sure?" She asked I surely, but I could only nod.

"I'm sure. My nonna would love it too." I promised, ignoring the overwhelming amount of emotions going through me right now.

With Harry and Zayn here, I couldn't tell Anna the reason why I was hesitant with her naming her child after my nonna.

• • •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 4.7K 48
Fate. A word so few believe to be real. The world is a place where fate may seem coincidental, but it is real. Times have changed, the world evolvin...
513K 14.7K 53
what happened when the biggest mafia in the world hid his real identity and married an innocent, sweet girl?
1.2M 29.7K 42
Sometimes I feel as if I should receive an award for staying strong for so long. When it becomes almost habit to fake a smile everyday and to hardly...
779K 60.9K 78
Nandini, a quite girl who lives a simple life being the youngest child,with close friends and good grades.! However,simple turns into complex when sh...