The life of Eve De La Cruz

By Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve is the daughter of a third-generation American and the youngest Crawley daughter, but when they died she... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Two

744 16 2
By Lilith_Deckerstar

October 1912

Mary and Eve ride their horses to invite Mrs. Isobel Crawley and her son, Matthew, the new heir of Downton Abbey for dinner at the request of Cora. The mother and son were staying at Crawley House. While Mary rode sidesaddle, Eve rode astride, much to her uncle's chagrin, but she wore a big enough skirt to cover one of her legs. Eve also wore pants under her skirt. The skirt was also detachable, so all she had to do was unclasp the hooks, and she could remove it.

When they arrived at the house, Lynch watched the horses while Mary and Eve walked inside to meet Matthew Crawley and his mother. The housemaid welcomes them in, and as they enter the house, they hear Matthew and Mrs. Isobel Crawley talking in the sitting room.

"What on earth do you mean?" Isobel asked.

"Well, they're clearly going to push one of the daughters or the cousin at me. They'll have fixed on that when they heard I was a bachelor," Matthew said.

Mr. Molesley enters the room and announces Mary and Eve's arrival, "Lady Mary Crawley and The Honorable Miss Eve De La Cruz."

Matthew turned around and his stunned by Mary.

"I do hope We're not interrupting," Mary said.

Isobel curtsies a little, "Lady Mary. Miss Eve."

"Cousin Mary and Cousin Eve, please," Mary insisted, "Mama has sent us down to welcome you and to ask you to dine with us tonight. Unless you're too tired."

"We would be delighted," Isobel smiled.

"Good," Mary nodded, "Come at eight," She and Eve turned to leave.

"Won't you stay and have some tea?" Isobel asked them.

"Oh, no. You're far too busy. My cousin has to get home for her to change before leaving for her shift at the Hospital," Mary looks at Matthew, "And we wouldn't want to push in."

Mary and Eve leave the drawing room and go outside before mounting their horses.

"Lynch, I think we'll go back by the south road," Mary said.

"Very good, Milady."

Eve noticed Matthew had come out of the house.

"Lady Mary. Miss Eve. I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I was only joking," Matthew said.

"Of course. And I agree. The whole thing is a complete Joke," Mary then rides off with Lynch, but Eve stays behind.

"Don't worry, Matthew. Mary tends to be cold at first, but give her time, and she will warm up to you. And, I just want to say, welcome to Downton," Eve rides off and catches up with Mary and Lynch.

When they arrived at Downton, Eve went to her room and dressed for her shift. Her time at the hospital flew by, and she went home. Eve changes into a simple light blue high-waisted shirt and a white Marielle blouse. Eve wrote a bit for her book. She placed the typewriter back behind the wall and went down to the servant's hall to have a little to eat with the staff.

"Good afternoon, everyone," She greeted.

They all stood straight up the moment they heard her voice.

"How many times have I told you all not to stand up for me when no one from upstairs is here."

They sat back down before Eve took an empty seat and sat with them.

"So, what do you think we'll make of them?" Thomas wondered.

"I shouldn't think much. She hasn't even got a lady's maid," Miss O'Brien said.

"It's not a capital offense," Anna told her.

"She's got a maid; her name's Ellen. She came a day early," Mr. Bates said.

"I met her when Mary and I visited them," Eve said.

"She's not even a lady's maid. She's just a housemaid that fastens hooks and buttons when she has to. There's more to it than that, you know," Miss. O'Brien told them.

"Daisy!" Mrs. Patmore shouted from the kitchen, but Daisy ignored her as she stood beside Thomas, and he showed her the newspaper.

"We'll want some very precise reporting when dinner's over," Anna said.

"Are we to treat him as the heir?" William asked.

"Are we 'eck as like! A doctor's son from Manchester? Humph. He'll be lucky if he gets a civil word out of me," Miss O'Brien said.

"We're all lucky if we get a civil word out of you," Anna teased. Eve tries not to grin as Miss. O'Brien gave Anna a look.

Mr. Carson walks into the servant's hall, "Gwen, parcel for you," everyone stood up, "Came by the evening post."

Gwen left her seat and took the parcel from his hands, "Thank you, Mr. Carson."

Everyone sat back down when Mr. Carson motioned for them to do so.

"William," Mr. Carson held out a letter for him.

"Have you seen 'em yet, Mr. Carson?" Thomas asked.

"By 'them,' I assume you mean the new family, in which case, no. I have that pleasure to look forward to this evening."

Mr. Carson walks out just as Mrs. Patmore enters the servant's hall.

"Daisy? Did you hear me call? Or have you gone selectively deaf?" Mrs. Patmore asked with anger.

"No, Mrs. Patmore," Daisy answered.

"Then might I remind you we are preparing dinner for your future employer, and if it goes wrong, I'll be telling them why!" Mrs. Patmore walks back to the kitchen, and Daisy quickly follows her.

Eve went to her room and picked out a dress for dinner. The dress she chose to wear is an aqua color. The captivating blue lining contrasts beautifully with the ivory lace and embroidered accents. The sleeves of the dress are transparent and end at her elbow. Eve fixed her hair and placed her golden rose pin in before heading downstairs to the great hall and joining her family to greet the Crawleys as they arrived. The women stood side by side in a line. They stood in order of age, but Cora stood at the front. The house staff lined up across from them.

The footmen take Matthew and Isobel's coats as Robert approaches them.

"Hello again. It's a pleasure to meet you, at last, Mrs. Crawley," Robert greeted.

"We're delighted to be here, aren't we, Matthew?" Isobel asked as she turned to her son.

"Delighted," He said.

Robert leads them into the great hall where the house staff and the family are.

"Welcome to Downton," Cora greeted.

"Thank you. You've been so kind," Isobel said.

"What a reception committee," Matthew said, making the family surprised and amused by his comment. Isobel senses the awkwardness of his remark and tries to recover.

"Yes, thank you."

"This is Carson. We'd all be lost without him. Mama, may I present Matthew Crawley and Mrs. Crawley, my mother, Lady Grantham," Robert introduced.

Isobel steps forward and holds her hand out toward Violet, "What should we call each other?

"Well, we could always start with Mrs. Crawley and Lady Grantham," Violet said.

Cora approaches Isobel and suggests, "Come into the drawing room, and we can make all the proper introductions."

Violet looks at Carson, who tries to contain his amused smirk. The family moves into the drawing room.

As they walked toward the drawing room, Matthew stopped when a painting hung on the wall caught his eye. The portrait was of Robert and Cora. The husband and wife were standing next to each other, and Robert held both of his wife's hands. And the two were smiling with genuine happiness. It was commissioned for their wedding anniversary the year before. And painted in a way that would allow anyone looking at it could feel the love between the Earl and Countess of Grantham.

"That painting is quite beautiful," Matthew commented.

"Thank you," Robert said, "It was a gift for Her Ladyship and I's anniversary last year."

"The artist did a wonderful job, Cousin Robert. Who was the artist?" Isobel asked.

"The artist would be me, Cousin Isobel," Eve answered.

"It is truly a magnificent painting, Cousin Eve. Do you have more paintings?"

"I have landscapes and portraits hung in other rooms throughout the house."

"Do you paint often?" Isobel asked her.

"Whenever I have the time or manage to find it. My father was a painter. He taught me everything he knew."

"I think we should all head to the drawing room now," Robert said.

After a short while, dinner was ready, and they walked to the dining room.

"Do you think you'll enjoy village life?" Robert asked, "It will be very quiet after life in the city."

"Even Manchester," Violet said.

"I'm sure I'll find something to keep me busy," Isobel told them.

"You might like the hospital," Cora suggested.

"What sort of hospital is it? How many beds?" She asked.

"Well, it--it isn't really a hospital," Violet said as one of the staff leaned over for her to pick what she wanted from the tray.

"Don't let Dr. Clarkson hear you. He thinks it's second only to St. Thomas's," Robert said.

"It's a cottage hospital, of course, but quite well equipped. His Lordship's and my niece, Eve, works there as a nurse," Cora told Isobel.

"Most of the patients who come in only have minor injuries or illnesses, and they'll stay at the hospital for a few days before going home, but there are patients who do require serious medical attention," Eve said.

"Who pays for it?" Isobel asked.

"Oh, good. Let's talk about money," Violet sighed, slightly annoyed.

"My father gave the building an endowment to run it. In a way, he set up his own memorial," Robert informed Isobel.

"But how splendid."

"And Mr. Lloyd George's new insurance measures will help," He said.

"Please don't speak that man's name, we are about to eat," Violet told Robert.

Thomas leans forward over Matthew's shoulder with the first dish, "I will hold it steady, and you can help yourself, Sir."

"Yes, I know. Thank you," Matthew said before picking what he wanted.

Mary smiles, "You'll soon get used to the way things are done here.

"If you mean that I'm accustomed to a very different life from this, then that is true," Matthew said.

"What will you do with your time?" Sybil asked.

"I've got a job in Ripon. I said I'll start tomorrow," He answered.

"A job?" Robert asked.

"In a partnership. You might have heard of it, Havel and Carter. They need someone who understands industrial law, I'm glad to say. Although, I'm afraid most of it will be wills and conveyancing," Matthew explained.

"You do know I mean to involve you in the running of the estate?"

"Oh, don't worry. There are plenty of hours in the day. And, of course, I'll have the weekend."

"We'll discuss this later. We mustn't bore the ladies," Robert said.

"What--what is a weekend?" Violet asked, confused.

Eve almost choked on her drink from what her grandmother said but managed to keep it together and not choke or laugh.

When dinner was over, the ladies left the room. And as they were leaving, Isobel turned to Cora.

"I'm so interested to see the hospital," Isobel told Cora.

"Mm, well, you would be with your late husband a doctor," Violet said.

"Not just my husband, my father, and brother, too, and I trained as a nurse during the war," Isobel informed.

"Oh, fancy," Violet commented sarcastically.

"I'd love to be involved in some way," She said.

"Well, you could always help with the bring and buy sale next month. That would be most appreciated."

The girls, except Eve, exchange amused smiles as they follow behind. Thomas bows as they pass his post.

"I can show you the hospital when I'm on shift if you would like," Eve suggested.

"That would be quite lovely. Thank you, Eve. I would very much appreciate it," Isobel said.

"Excellent. I'll inform Dr. Clarkson about it when we arrive."

The next day on her way to work, Eve picks up Isobel. When they arrived at the hospital, Eve and Mrs. Crawley went to Dr. Clarkson's office and explained to him why Mrs. Crawley is here. Once Dr. Clarkson had agreed, they began the tour.

Dr. Clarkson opened the door, and Eve and Isobel followed him into the ward.

"It's kind of you to take an interest," Dr. Clarkson told Isobel.

"I'm afraid it's a case of the warhorse in the drought," She told him, "You know my late husband was a doctor."

"I do. I'm familiar with Dr. Crawley's work on the symptoms of infection in children."

"I read some of his work while I was in school," Eve said.

"Ah. Even I studied nursing during the South African War," Isobel told them.

"Really?" Dr. Clarkson asked, then a nurse escorts a weeping woman out of the ward, "Very distressing. A young farmer, John Drake, a tenant of Lord Grantham's, came in today. It's dropsy, I'm afraid."

"May I see him?" Isobel asked.

"Yes. By all means," Dr. Clarkson replied.

Isobel walks around the screen to find John Drake, his legs swollen and full of sores and having trouble breathing.

"Is the dropsy of the liver or the heart?" She asked.

"Everything points to the heart."

John Drake begins to cough, and blood comes out as he brings a cloth to his mouth. Dr. Clarkson and Eve go over to him.

"All right, Mr. Drake, you're in safe hands now," Dr. Clarkson said.

After Eve and Dr. Clarkson had finished helping Mr. Drake, they escorted Isobel outside and past the hospital gate.

"What will happen to his wife?" Isobel asked.

"She may try to keep the farm on," Dr. Clarkson replied.

"My uncle is not a harsh landlord, but her children are young. She will have some difficulty," Eve told her.

"What can I do to help?" Isobel asked. Dr. Clarkson is surprised, while Eve is not, "If I'm to live in this village, I must have an occupation. Please, let me be useful."

For the remainder of Eve's shift, she and Mrs. Cralwey were in the children's ward. When Eve returned home, she and Hera walked the grounds. After the walk, Eve wrote some more of her book before it was time for dinner.

The next day, Eve and Isobel arrived at the hospital. Some time had passed before Isobel, now wearing a nurse's apron, came into the Children's Ward and asked Eve to join her to examine John Drake. Not long after they came back to Mr. Drake's bed, Dr. Clarkson joined them.

Isobel leans over John Drake with a stethoscope, "May I?" Mr. Drake nods.

"I must compliment you, Mrs. Crawley. When you made your offer, I thought you might be a great lady nurse and faint at the sight of blood, but I see you're made of sterner stuff," Dr. Clarkson told her.

Isobel steps aside with Dr. Clarkson and Eve before saying, "It's definitely the heart. It's almost too quiet to hear at all."

"I'm afraid so."

"I've been thinking about the treatments that are available. Considerable success has been achieved over the last few years by draining the pericardial sac of the excess fluid and administering adrenaline," Isobel informed Dr. Clarkson.

"I've read about those cases, and they have had great success, Dr. Clarkson," Eve said.

"Mrs. Crawley, I appreciate your thoroughness," He said.

"But you're unwilling to try it?" Isobel asked.

"Injection of adrenaline is a comparatively new procedure," Dr. Clasrkson told her.

"It's a while ago now, but I saw my husband do it. I know how," Isobel argued.

"Please, Mrs. Crawley, don't--don't force me to be uncivil. We would be setting an impossible precedent when every villager could--could demand the latest fad in treatment for each new cut and graze," He told her.

"I would remind you that we're not talking of a cut or a graze, but the loss of a man's life and the ruin of his family."

"Of course, but I beg you to see that it is...not reasonable."

In the evening, in Mary's room, Edith, Sybil, and Eve were discussing with Mary about her distaste for Matthew.

"Why are you so against him?" Sybil asked.

"Aside from the fact he's planning to steal our inheritance?"

"Your inheritance," Edith corrected Mary, "It makes no difference to Sybil, Eve, and me. We won't inherit, whatever happens."

"He isn't one of us," Mary told them.

"Cousin Freddy's studying for the bar, and so is Vivian McDonald," Sybil informed Mary.

"At Lincoln's Inn. Not sitting at a dirty little desk in Ripon. Besides, his father was a doctor."

"There's nothing wrong with doctors. We all need doctors. Maybe Eve will become a doctor."

"We'll cross that bridge when we get there, Sybil," Eve said with a smile.

"We all need crossing sweepers and draymen, too. It doesn't mean we have to dine with them," Mary shot back.

There was a knock on Mary's door. Anna goes to open it, and Cora enters Mary's room and asks, "Whom don't we have to dine with?"

"Mary doesn't care for Cousin Matthew," Edith answered.

"Sybil, be a dear and fetch my black evening shawl. O'Brien knows which one," Sybil gets up to leave, "Edith, can you see if the drawing room's ready, "Edith leaves, too, "And Eve, put some food in your room for Hera."

Eve leaves the room, knowing Cora will speak with Mary about something that has to deal with Matthew.

In the dining room, everyone is seated and enjoying their meal.

"Have you been able to explore the village?" Robert asked.

"Indeed, I have. And I thought the hospital a great credit to your father's memory. But I'm afraid the good doctor and I did not see eye to eye," Isobel told him.

Violet chuckles, "Oh, you amaze me."

"He is treating one of your tenants, John Drake, for dropsy," Isobel explained, "But seems reluctant to embrace some of the newer treatments."

"Drake is a good man, and far too young to die," Robert agreed, "But I suppose the doctor knows his business."

"Not as well as Mrs. Crawley, apparently," Violet said. Isobel tries to reply, but Robert steps in first.

"By the way, if ever you want to ride, just let Lynch know, and he'll sort it out for you."

"Oh, Papa, Cousin Matthew doesn't ride," Mary said.

"I ride," Matthew corrected her.

"And do you hunt?"

"No, I don't hunt."

"I daresay there's not much opportunity in Manchester," Violet said before she chuckled.

"Are you a hunting family?" Matthew asked.

"Families like ours are always hunting families," Mary answered.

"Not always. Billy Skelton won't have them on his land," Robert said.

"But all the Skeltons are mad," Mary said before she took a scoop of fish from her plate.

"Do you hunt?" Matthew asked her.

"Occasionally. I suppose you're more interested in books than country sports like Eve."

"I probably am," Matthew said, "You'll tell me that's rather unhealthy."

"Not unhealthy. Just unusual.... among our kind of people," Mary said. Robert, Violet, and Isobel are all astonished at Mary's snobbery. She then asks Matthew, "I've been studying the story of Andromeda with Eve, do you know it?"

"Why?"' He asked.

"Her father was King Cepheus, whose country was being ravaged by storms, and in the end, he decided the only way to appease the gods was to sacrifice his eldest daughter to a hideous sea monster. So, they chained her naked to a rock..." Mary begins.

Violet chuckles uncomfortably, "Really? Mary, we'll all need our smelling salts in a minute."

"But the sea monster didn't get her, did he?" Matthew asked.

Both Sybil and Eve become transfixed by the story and the drama playing in front of them.

"No. Just when it seemed she was the only solution to her father's problems, she was rescued."

"By Perseus," Matthew stated, causing some wind to leave Mary's sails.

"That's right. Perseus, son of a god. Rather more fitting, wouldn't you say?" Mary asked.

"That depends. I'd have to know more about the princess and the sea monster in question," Matthew said before taking a bite of his food. Mary is left in silence by Matthew.

Once dinner had finished, Grandmama Violet and the Crawleys left and returned to their homes. Eve went up to her room, and when she entered, Hera ran up and laid on her back, waiting for a belly rub. Eve smiled and gave her a quick belly rub before picking her up and putting her on the bed.

Eve walked over to the bookcase in her room and picked out 'Beauty and the Beast' a story that her parents would read to her when she was young. She changed into her nightgown and got underneath the covers of her bed before reading the book.

The next day, Robert was showing the grounds to Matthew. Cora, Mary, and Edith were in the Village, and most of the staff were. Sybil and Eve stayed behind to go riding. When the two finished riding for the day, they put their horses back in the stables. Eve and Sybil go into the library, but when they enter, they see Mr. Bates and another man. The strange man was looking around.

"Bates...?" Sybil said as she and Eve entered.

"This...gentleman is an acquaintance of Mr. Carson, Miladies," Mr. Bates answered.

"Do you know why he is here?" Eve asked.

"He says he has urgent business with His Lordship," Mr. Bates answered.

"Urgent," The man told them.

"I've sent for Mr. Carson to come at once," Mr. Bates informed them.

"Then we'll stay with you in case explanations are needed," Sybil told him.

"Thank you," Mr. Bates said.

A few minutes later, the stranger beings to complain loudly.

"How long are you expecting me to wait?" He asked, " I'm a very busy man, you know."

"If you could just be patient for a little longer, Sir," Mr. Bates told him.

The stranger sees Robert entering, "Ah."

"May I ask who this is and precisely what is going on?" Robert asked just as Mr. Carson and Anna entered.

"Mr. Bates, what are you...? Er... I'm sorry, Your Lordship. Mr. Bates, you may go now," Mr. Carson said.

"No, stay where you are. No one is going anywhere. Do I take it you know this man?" Robert asked Mr. Carson.

"Don't try and deny it," The man told Mr. Carson.

"No, I won't deny it. I do know him, My Lord, but not what he is doing in the library," Mr. Carson explained.

"I tried to take him downstairs out of sight, Mr. Carson, but he wouldn't come," Mr. Bates told him.

"Thank you, that was thoughtful," Mr. Carson said.

"But who is he?" Robert asked, but Mr. Carson hesitated to answer.

"Will you tell him, or shall I?" The man asked.

"His name is Charles Grigg. We worked together at one time," Mr. Carson answered.

"Oh, I'm a little more than that, aren't I, Charlie? We're like brothers, him and me," Mr. Grigg told them.

"We are not like brothers," Mr. Carson stated, a little angry.

"We were a double act. On the halls."

"You were on the stage? Carson, is this true?" Robert asked.

"It is, My Lord," Mr. Carson answered, a little embarrassed.

"The Cheerful Charlies, that's what they called us," Mr. Grigg said. Mr. Carson rolls his eyes while Grigg does a tap dance and hands Robert a flier for their old act, "We did quite well, didn't we?"

"Until you couldn't keep your hands out of the till," Mr. Carson said while looking at Mr. Grigg.

"Would you like us to go, Mr. Carson?" Anna asked.

"No. You know it now. You might as well bear witness to my shame. He turned up in the village with no warning some days ago on the run, asking for somewhere to hide and, of course, for money," He told them.

"God in heaven," Robert mutters under his breath.

"He's wanted for some petty crime of which he is, of course, guilty," Mr. Carson continued.

"Hey, steady on," Mr. Grigg warned.

"He threatened to expose my past to make me a laughingstock in this house. And in my vanity and pride, I gave him what he wanted."

"You did not," Mr. Grgg scoffed.

"I put him in an empty cottage and fed him from the kitchens. I couldn't buy food in the village, it would raise too many questions. I stole. I'm a thief. She... saw it," Mr. Carson gestures to Anna.

Anna shakes her head, "I'd never have said anything, Mr--"

"And now my disgrace is complete. My Lord, you have my resignation," Mr. Carson cuts Anna off from saying anything more.

"Really, Carson, there's no need to be quite so melodramatic. You're not playing Sydney Carton, "Robert said to Mr. Carson before turning to Grigg, "So, why have you come here if he has done everything you asked of him?"

"Because he hasn't," Mr. Grigg sits in a chair, "He wouldn't give me any money.

Mr. Carson looks at Robert, "If I had, how could I have prevented his returning to Downton once it was spent?"

Robert clears his throat, "My dear Mr. Grigg..."

"Ah. Nice to see someone 'round here's got some manners," Mr. Grigg rudely interrupted.

"Hold your tongue!" Mr. Casron said, enraged at Mr. Grigg.

"I'll tell you what is going to happen. When I have given you twenty pounds, you will leave Downton immediately, and we will never set eyes on you again," Robert said.

"I'll have to see about that," Mr. Grigg resorts.

Robert continues," If you return to this area, I will personally ensure your conviction for theft and blackmail.

Mr. Grigg springs up from the chair, "Just a minute--"

"You will serve from five to ten years in His Majesty's custody," Robert cuts him off and pulls out his wallet.

"You think you're such a big man, don't you? Just 'cause you're a lord, you think you can do what you like with me," Mr. Grigg angrily said.

"I think it because it is true," Robert holds out the cash.

Grigg debates briefly before taking the money, "You'll not always be in charge, you know. The day is coming when your lot will have to toe the line just like the rest of us."

"Perhaps. But happily, for Carson, that day has not come yet," Robert said.

Grigg looks at Carson and stalks off. Anna and Bates follow, but Sybil and Eve stay.

"I...take it my resignation has not been accepted?" Mr. Carson asked.

"My dear fellow, we all have chapters we would rather keep unpublished. To be honest, Carson, I'm rather impressed," Robert told him before asking, "Did you really sing and dance and everything in front of an audience?"

Sybil and Eve smile.

"I did," Mr. Carson answered, a little ashamed.

"And do you ever miss it?" Robert asked.

"Not in the least, My Lord."

After Eve had changed, Taylor drove her to the Crawley residence and picked up Isobel, who told her she had a way to save Mr. Drake. When they arrived at the cottage hospital, they went straight to Dr. Clarkson's office.

Isobel holds a tiny vial, "I have the adrenaline here in my hand. Will you really deny the man his chance of life?"

"I just wish it was a treatment I was more familiar with," Dr. Clarkson said.

"Will that serve as your excuse when he dies?" Isobel questioned.

"Please, Dr. Clarkson. If there is a chance to save Mr. Drake, we must take it," Eve begged.

Clarkson stands and takes the vial, "Nurse De La Cruz. Can you prepare Mr. Drake for his procedure, please? Well, Mrs. Crawley, I have a feeling we will sink or swim together."

They left the office and gathered what they needed for the procedure before going to the ward where Mr. Drake resides.

"Mr. Drake, your heart is not functioning properly, and, as a result, your pericardial sac is full of fluid. I am proposing first to withdraw the fluid and then to inject the adrenaline to stimulate the heart and restore normal activity," Dr. Clarkson explained to him and his wife.

"Is it dangerous, Doctor?" Mrs. Drake asked.

"The draining may stop the heart, and the adrenaline may not be able to restart it," He told her.

"Mrs. Drake, the choice is simple. If your husband endures this procedure, he may live. If not, he will die," Isobel told her.

They stopped what they were doing when they heard a Nurse say, "He's with a patient."

"Please, please, no, let me pass. I must see the doctor at once," Violet steps around the screen. Mrs. Drake rises from her chair.

"Your Ladyship," Dr. Clarkson said.

"Yes, it's just as I thought. Dr. Clarkson, tell me you will not permit this amateur to influence your professional opinion," Violet told him.

"Amateur?" Isobel questioned.

"My dear woman, do not let them bully you. They'll not disturb the peace of your husband's last hours, not if I can help it," Violet said to Mrs. Drake.

"But that's just it, My Lady. I don't want them to be his last hours. Not if there's a chance. Please, Doctor, do what you must," Mrs. Drake said with tears,

Dr.Clarkson steps forward to begin the procedure. Eve hands Dr. Clarkson a needle, and he attaches it to a draining tube.

"As..." Violet began but stopped when she suddenly started to feel sick at the sight of the procedure.

Clarkson and Eve insert the needle, and Mrs. Drake turns away. Isobel steps over to comfort her.

"Steady. Yeah, all right. Nice and steady," Clarkson drains the fluid with a syringe attached to the tube.

"As president of this hospital, I feel I must..." Violet tries to continue.

"Valve," Dr. Clarkson said. Eve hits a switch, and the fluid drains into a glass jar.

" ...tell you... I...I shall bring this to the attention of the board."

"You're doing very well," Dr. Clarkson told Mr. Drake.

"Have you no pity?" Violet asked as the draining finished.

"Adrenaline. Quickly, quickly. His heart's stopped," Dr. Clarkson told her. Eve hands him the syringe, and he attaches it to the needle already inserted in Drake's chest, "Ready?"

"Mm-hmm," Eve answered.

Isobel intently watches while she holds Mrs. Drake. Clarkson quickly injects the adrenaline and pulls out the needle. Mr. Drake wakes and heaves deep breaths. Mrs. Drake turns to look and goes to hold and kiss his hand.

"Oh, my dear," Mr. Drake said to his wife.

Isobel turns to Violet, who is stunned by what happened.

Mary, Eve, Sybil, and Edith left Mary's room after getting ready for the hospital.

"Why must we all go to the hospital?" Edith asked.

"I'm afraid Papa wants to teach Granny a lesson," Mary answered, "Poor Granny. A month ago, these people were strangers. Now she must share her power with the mother, and I must marry the son."

"You won't marry him, though, will you?"

"What, marry a sea monster?" Mary joked before she and Edith chuckled as they walked down the stairs.

"You shouldn't laugh, that's so unkind," Sybil scolded them.

"We can't judge someone before we truly know them," Eve told them.

"But he must marry someone," Edith said.

"Edith, what are you thinking?" Mary asked her.

"You know, I don't dislike him as much as you do," She answered.

"Perhaps you don't dislike him at all."

"Perhaps I don't."

"Well, it's nothing to me. I have bigger fish to fry," Mary told them.

"What fish?" Sybil asked.

"Are we talking about E.N.?" Edith asked.

"How do you know that? Have you been poking around in my things?" Mary asked her.

"Of course not," Edith replied, but Eve knew she was lying.

"Come on, who is he?" Sybil asked, "It's not fair if you both know. Is it, Eve?"

"Depends," Eve replied.

"You won't be any the wiser, but his name is Evelyn Napier," Mary answered.

"The Honourable Evelyn Napier, son and heir to Viscount Branksome," Edith told Sybil and Eve while giving a mock salute.

"Who wants an old sea monster when they can have Perseus?" Mary joked.

The four women chuckle as they leave Downton to go to the hospital.

When they arrived, including the staff, it seemed like the entire village was in the room.

They all rise when Dr. Clarkson enters with Violet and Isobel, then sit when the ladies do.

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to this happy event: the investiture of our first chairwoman, Mrs. Reginald Crawley, who has graciously agreed to share the duties of our beloved president, the Dowager Countess of Grantham," Dr. Clarkson announced. Violet is clearly not pleased by the power play, "Our little hospital must surely grow and thrive with two such doughty champions united as they are by the strongest ties of all, family and friendship."

Everyone applause at Dr. Clarkson's announcement, while Violet and Isobel sense the heavy irony.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 396 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...
91.3K 1.4K 20
When the youngest Crawley sister falls in love with the chauffeur trouble ensues.
65.4K 1.1K 83
REVISING! You're just Tom's little sister he never talked about. When out of the blue you get a call from him inviting you to Downton Abbey to meet h...
15.5K 693 62
March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paternity for the foundling. The story mainly r...