✓ | RECKLESS AND BRAVE | Drac...

By fhreyachaes

[ BOOK TWO OF MISCHIEF MANAGED | JAMES POTTER VS SIRIUS BLACK ] ❝ But," her voice trailed off brokenly, "I'm... More

DISCLAIMER + CAST
I | THE SORCERER'S STONE
1 | AURORA
2 | BUOYANT
3 | CHUTZPAH
4 | DEMURE
5 | ETHEREAL
6 | FELICITY
7 | GAUCHE
8 | HALO
9 | IDYLLIC
10 | JOCUND
11 | KAPUT
12 | LUMINESCENCE
13 | MONDEGREEN
II | THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS
14 | NEFARIOUS
15 | OPULENCE
16 | PETRICHOR
17 | QUAINT
18 | RESPLENDENT
19 | SAUDADE
20 | TRANSCENDENCE
21 | UPPITY
III | THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN
22 | VEHEMENT
23 | WANDERLUST
24 | XERIC
25 | YONDER
26 | ZEAL
27 | AMORIST
28 | BERCEUSE
29 | CHRYSALISM
30 | DUENDE
31 | EFFLEURAGE
32 | FANTOD
33 | GELASIN
IV | THE GOBLET OF FIRE
34 | HAMARTIA
35 | INTERSIDEREAL
36 | JEJUNE
37 | KOI NO YOKAN
38 | LATIBULE
40 | NAZ
41 | ORPHIC
42 | PULCHRITUDINOUS
43 | QUERENCIA
44 | REDAMANCY
45 | SEHNSUCHT
46 | TEMERATE
V | THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX
47 | UITWAAIEN
48 | VIRAGO
49 | WHELVE
50 | XAERN
51 | YŪGEN
52 | ZUGZWANG
53 | ANAM CARA
54 | BASOREXIA
55 | CHEILOPROCLITIC
56 | DEFENESTRATE
57 | ESPRIT D'ESCALIER
58 | FORELSKET
59 | GLAUCOUS
60 | HONNE
VI | THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE
61 | IBRAT
62 | JAYUS
63 | KAIROS
64 | LA DOULEUR EXQUISE
65 | MIZPAH
66 | NEDOVTIPA
67 | OCULOPLANIA
68 | PHOSPHENES
69 | QUATERVOIS
VII | THE DEATHLY HALLOWS
70 | RESFEBER
71 | STRIKHEDONIA
72 | TAUSENDSASSA
73 | UBUNTU
74 | VELLEITIE
75 | WABI-SABI
76 | XANTHORIATIC
77 | YERTDRIFT
78 | ZEMBLANITY
79 | AEIPATHY
80 | BOKETTO
81 | COUP DE GRÂCE
82 | DRAPETOMANI
83 | ERLEBNISSE
84 | FINIFUGAL
B O N U S | 1
B O N U S | 2
B O N U S | 3
B O N U S | 4
B O N U S | 5
C A N O N
CONTEST WINNER
TESSA AND DRACO'S READING LIST
THEO'S SPIN-OFF BOOK
KASI'S SPIN-OFF BOOK

39 | MINUTIAE

24.2K 914 3.3K
By fhreyachaes

MINUTIAE
(n.) the small, precise details that make one unique; the finer points and subtleties

TESSA DIDN'T WANT TO LET GO OF PHILIP — NEITHER DID HE. Eventually, he carefully unwinded her arms around him as he grinned at her. "Surprise!"

     Tessa was laughing and shaking her head in disbelief. "How? What are you doing here? I — I have no idea what to say."

     Philip shrugged, throwing her a teasing wink. "You said you wanted to see me for your birthday — belated Happy Birthday!"

     She playfully punched his arm. "Well, I didn't think you'd actually do it! But how did you get to go with them? Don't you have to be seventeen?"

     "Perks of being friends with Viktor Krum," Philip said, throwing an arm around her, only to frown slightly. "Tessie, why the hell are you so cold? Here," he shrugged off his own coat and draped her in it before wrapping his arm around her again. "Come on."

     Tessa couldn't stop smiling as she put her arm around his waist and kept hugging him while they walked inside the castle. This year was definitely going to be her favorite, now that her best friend was here with her.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

Draco was scowling murderously at the pair, arms crossed haughtily as they embraced and laughed together. Something ugly bubbled in the pit of his stomach, not liking a single second of what was happening. Somebody approached him and sidled close by, also staring hard at the duo. "Who the hell is that?" Fred asked Draco, his voice low.

Draco huffed, narrowing his eyes at the Durmstrang boy who put his coat over Tessa. "I believe that's Philip Williamson."

Fred snorted, copying Draco's crossed-arms stance. "She talks about him a lot, but this is the first time I'm actually seeing him."

Draco shifted his gray eyes to Fred as he hissed, "Looks like there's another one to look out for, Weasley."

Fred chuckled darkly, stepping away from Draco. "Careful, Malfoy — wouldn't want Father dearest to find out about how you really feel about her now, would you?"

Draco snarled at him, but Fred had already walked away from him. He turned to stare at Tessa and Philip once more as Theo came over and slung an arm around him. "Stop glaring at them, you git. Let the girl enjoy her time with her best friend, now come on."

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

Even though Beauxbatons sat with Ravenclaw and Durmstrang sat with Slytherin, Philip chose to sit right next to Tessa as she introduced him to her other friends (Hermione had already met Philip during the summer of last year when she visited Tessa's manor). Fred didn't seem to be in a good mood, but he had nodded and acted politely to him. Philip had also caught sight of Catherine sitting up at the staff table, and had happily beamed and waved at her as well. It made Tessa's heart swell with pride in how everyone loved Philip.

She looked toward the Slytherin table to where Draco say directly across of her, but he seemed to avoiding her gaze. He had an expression of irritation etched into his features as he listened in to what Theo and Blaise were saying to Krum and his friends. Tessa had hoped Draco could be friends with Philip, but he also didn't seem to be in a good mood either.

     "I'm really glad you're here," Tessa whispered when no one else was paying attention. She smiled up at Philip, taking in his ebony hair, sapphire eyes, and handsome features. "I really, really am."

     Her best friend grinned back at her, slinging an arm around her and playfully knocking his head against hers. "I didn't want to miss out on all the drama my two best friends get to experience." He clicked his tongue once.

     Tessa rolled her eyes. "I never knew you and Viktor Krum were best friends."

     "Well — I never knew you had a boyfriend."

     She blinked at him once — twice. "What the bloody hell are you talking about? I never knew I had a boyfriend . . . ?"

     Philip rolled his eyes at his best friend's dramatics. He jutted his chin to the direction of the table across them, his dark hair falling on his eyes as he impatiently pushed them back. "You know — that blond over there who won't quit glaring at me." Philip hummed to himself. "My guess was either boyfriend or bodyguard — but judging from your reaction, I'd say bodyguard."

     Tessa opened her mouth to retort to that, but a voice swooped in, "You're absolutely right!" She looked up to flash the Slytherin boy a flat look. "Hi, I'm Theo — pleased to meet you." Theo had reached over Ron's head to shake Philip's hand.

     "Philip — so nice to meet you as well. A friend of Tessa's?"

     Theo nodded once before jerking a thumb behind him to Draco whom Tessa knew was avoiding the conversation and pretending to talk to Krum. "This one over here's Draco Malfoy — I'd like to say he'd be glad to meet you, but I'd be lying."

     Recognition flickered in Philip's blue eyes as he threw Tessa a glance. She subtly shook her head at him, but mischief lit up his features as he turned back to Theo. "Draco Malfoy, you say? Why, I've heard so much about him from our dear Tessie over here."

     She looked over to Draco in panic, but he genuinely wasn't listening this time. Ron, Hermione, and Harry all shared amused glances with each other. Theo's grin broadened as he crossed his arms. "You and I will be great friends, Philip. Join the bandwagon — we all think that Draco and Tessa are — "

     "The best people you've ever met with the nicest attitudes — sit down, Theo," Tessa cut in with narrowed eyes at him, daring him to finish that sentence.

     Theo stuck his tongue out at her and told Philip, "In case you're curious about Draco — he's a lot like Tessa just as she is like him, you'll find that out soon." He sent her another playful glare as he clicked his tongue. "I can't say I haven't asked myself before loads of times on why you're not a Slytherin. Anyways, you're welcome to join us whenever you'd like to, Philip." He mock saluted the Durmstrang boy before focusing his attention back to Draco and Blaise and the rest of the Durmstrang students.

     Tessa stifled a groan as Philip merely laughed at her, reaching up to ruffle her hair. She slapped his hand away with a grunt before they all looked up at the staff table to see Filch adding four chairs.

     "But there are only two extra people," Harry said. "Why's Filch putting out four chairs, who else is coming?"

     "Eh?" Ron said vaguely, still looking over at Krum.

     The headmasters and headmistress all arrived and the Great Hall fell silent for Dumbledore who had cleared his throat to speak. "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, ghosts and — most particularly — guests. I have great pleasure in welcoming you all to Hogwarts. I hope and trust that your stay here will be both comfortable and enjoyable."

     One of the Beauxbatons girls whom Tessa recognized as the one who'd become infatuated with Draco gave a laugh of ridicule.

     "No one's making you stay!" Hermione whispered in a hissing voice, and Philip chuckled lowly at that.

     "The tournament will be officially opened at the end of the feast," Dumbledore went on. "I now invite you all to eat, drink, and make yourselves at home!"

     Dishes upon dishes appeared within an instant, and Tessa was extremely delighted to find a greater variety of food from several other countries. After she helped pile food into her brother's plate, she turned to put some on Philip's — only to find that Philip himself had already placed a tower of food onto her own. He flashed his obnoxious grin at her and proceeded to eat, gesturing at her to do so.

     She fought the urge to smile and covered it by shoving potatoes into her mouth. Whenever she was busy checking on Hermione when she was over for that summer, Philip always made sure that Tessa would be cared and looked out for.

     "What's that?" Ron asked curiously, pointing at a large dish of shellfish stew.

"Bouillabaisse," Hermione responded.

"Bless you," Ron said. Philip snorted out laughing.

"It's French. I had it on holiday summer before
last. It's very nice."

"I'll take your word for it," Ron said with a huff, resorting to black pudding.

     Philip chuckled deeply from next to Tessa, reaching over to brush her hair behind her ears. "Tessie, slow down."

     There was a loud clatter of someone dropping their silverware, and Tessa glimpsed to the side and barely caught Fred throwing annoyed glances at Philip before George forced him to look away.

Ron let out a loud 'HA' as he shook his head at Philip. "Fat chance on stopping The Girl Who Lived to Eat."

Hermione giggled and opened her mouth to add to that, but Hagrid had entered the Hall and waved over at them. "That's Hagrid," Tessa whispered to Philip who nodded.

"Skrewts doing all right, Hagrid?" Harry called.

"Thrivin'," Hagrid called back happily.

"Yeah, I'll just bet they are," Ron murmured quietly. "Looks like they've finally found a food they like, doesn't it? Hagrid's fingers."

     Just then, there was a a girl from Beauxbatons with silver hair who approached them. "Excuse me, are you wanting ze bouillabaisse?"

     Ron went purple as he stared up at her, opening and closing his mouth. Nothing came out, the girl leaving him speechless.

     "Yeah, have it," Harry said, sliding the dish over.

     "You 'ave finished wiz it?"

     "Yeah," Ron finally spoke out breathlessly. "Yeah, it was excellent."

She picked up the bouillabaisse and gracefully carried it back to the Ravenclaw table where her friend, the girl who'd ogled — and still is ogling — Draco, was waiting for her.

Tessa shared a look with her brother before starting to snicker.

"She's a veela!" Ron said hoarsely to Harry.

"Of course she isn't!" Hermione sniffed, her nose up in the air. "I don't see anyone else gaping at her like an idiot!"

Tessa couldn't help but to quirk an eyebrow at Hermione, smirking teasingly at her whose cheeks flames but refused to say anything more.

"I'm telling you," Ron continued to argue, "that's not a normal girl! They don't make them like that at Hogwarts!"

"They make them okay at Hogwarts," Harry mumbled distractedly, and Tessa followed his line of sight to be directly at Cho Chang. She pressed her lips together to keep from making a comment on how hot the tea was.

Philip gently pinched her side, discreetly shaking his head at her despite the fact he was also well aware with the situation.

"When you've both put your eyes back in," Hermione cut in briskly, "you'll be able to see who's just arrived."

     Tessa set her silverware down and glanced over to see that Ludo Bagman and Barty Crouch had just arrived and filled in the extra seats.

     "What are they doing here?" Harry said in surprise.

     "They organized the Triwizard Tournament, didn't they?" Hermione said. "I suppose they wanted to be here to see it start."

     Shortly after, desserts filled the table — several of which were also from different countries. Tessa couldn't stop laughing at Philip who'd pile her plate with unknown treats. He and Ron began a contest on who could eat the most chocolate.

     Fred didn't even touch his dessert, much to George's constant persuasions. He'd been breathing heavily to try and control himself from wedging his way between the laughing duo. He peeked between the heads of Angelina Johnson and Alicia Spinnet to catch the eyes of Draco Malfoy who had slipped into a killing calm.

     Once Draco met his gaze, Fred subtly jerked his head to the direction of Tessa. Remembering how they'd communicated well without having to speak, Fred made an expression in his face that said: Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

     Draco blinked once in confusion. "What?" he mouthed grumpily.

     Fred tipped his head over again to Tessa's direction, but Draco still looked extremely bewildered.

     The Slytherin blond reached over to nudge Theo who looked over at Fred. "What the hell is Weasley trying to say?"

     Theo raised a brow at the redhead before shrugging and finishing his dessert.

     Fred wanted to bang his head against the table.

     After everyone finished their desserts, Dumbledore rose to his feet as the students and staff all fell silent. "The moment has come. The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket —"

     "The what?" Harry muttered.

     "— just to clarify the procedure that we will be following this year. But first, let me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr. Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, and Mr. Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports."

     Everyone applauded politely for them both.

     "Mr. Bagman and Mr. Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard Tournament, and they will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime on the panel that will judge the champions' efforts. The casket, then, if you please, Mr. Filch."

Tessa watched curiously as Filch approached Dumbledore with a great wooden chest encrusted with jewels.

"The instructions for the tasks the champions will face this year have already been examined by Mr. Crouch and Mr. Bagman," Dumbledore said, "and they have made the necessary arrangements for each challenge. There will be three tasks, spaced throughout the school year, and they will test the champions in many different ways . . . their magical prowess — their daring — their powers of deduction — and, of course, their ability to cope with danger."

Tessa shared a look with Harry, slightly worried on how dangerous this competition is and had no space for recklessness.

"As you know, three champions compete in the tournament," Dumbledore went on calmly, "one from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire."

Dumbledore took out his wand and tapped the casket three times. The lid creaked open as he pulled out a large, wooden cup that was filled to the brim with blue-white flames. Tessa watched the goblet in mesmerization, unable to take her eyes away from how incredibly magical it was.

     "Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the goblet," Dumbledore continued. "Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Halloween, the goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools. The goblet will be placed in the entrance hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete.

     "To ensure that no underage student yields to temptation. I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it has been placed in the entrance hall. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross this line.

     "Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become a champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are wholeheartedly prepared to play before you drop your name into the goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Good night to you all."

     "An Age Line!" Fred said loudly, his eyes glinting in mischief. "Well, that should be fooled by an Aging Potion, shouldn't it? And once your name's in that goblet, you're laughing — it can't tell whether you're seventeen or not!"

     "But I don't think anyone under seventeen will stand a chance," Hermione retorted back, "we just haven't learned enough . . ."

     "Speak for yourself," George said shortly before turning to Harry. "You'll try and get in, won't you, Harry?"

     Tessa turned over to Philip with her dimples flashing. "I take it you have to go back to your school friends now, right?" She jutted a thumb over to where Durmstrang was being gathered by Karkaroff.

     Philip nodded before reaching up to ruffle her hair affectionately. "I'll see you later, Tessie." He laughed as she swatted his hand away before he sidled next to Krum who nodded at him.

     "Dumbledore didn't say where the Durmstrang people are sleeping, did he?" Ron asked them as they slowly walked over to the entrance, following after the crowd.

     "Back to the ship, then," Karkaroff was saying to his students. "Viktor, how are you feeling? Did you eat enough? Should I send for some mulled wine from the kitchens?"

     Krum quietly shook his head before turning to Philip with an inquisitive look, but his best friend simply shook his head and impatiently pushed his dark hair away from his forehead.

     "Professor, I vood like some vine," one of the Durmstrang students piped up.

     "I wasn't offering it to you, Poliakoff," Karkaroff snapped as Ron and Tessa snickered together. "I notice you have dribbled food all down the front of your robes again, disgusting boy —"

     The Golden Quartet paused to let Karkaroff and his students walk through first.

     "Thank you," he said, throwing a glance behind him — and freezing upon catching sight of them. His eyes had widened, shifting relentlessly from Harry to Tessa and back to Harry's scar.

     Now that Tessa thought of it — everyone said Harry looked just like James except for his eyes, and Dumbledore himself had said Tessa looked so much like her father more than her mother.

     "Yeah, that's Harry and Tessa Potter," came the growling voice of Professor Moody.

     Karkaroff spun around to come face to face with Mad-Eye Moody who was glaring at the Durmstrang headmaster. The color drained from Karkaroff's face as fear came over him. "You!"

     "Me," Moody replied grimly. "And unless you've got anything to say to the Potters, Karkaroff, you might want to move. You're blocking the doorway."

     Wordlessly, Karkaroff spun on his heel and swept out of the room with his students following closely behind. Tessa shared a look with Harry before they themselves walked back to the Gryffindor Tower.

     The next day, Tessa was pleased to find Philip waiting for her in the Great Hall. The Goblet og Fjre has been placed in the center of the Hall on a stool, and a thin golden line traced around the floor, which Tessa presumed was the Age Line.

     "Anyone put their name in yet?" Ron asked Philip.

     "All from my school except for me," he replied. "But I haven't seen anyone from Hogwarts yet."

     "Bet some of them put it in last night after we'd all gone to bed," Harry said. "I would've if it had been me . . . wouldn't have wanted everyone watching. What if the goblet just gobbed you right back out again?"

     Tessa heard laughter, and she turned around to see Fred, George, and Lee hurrying down the staircase excitedly. She cracked a smile upon seeing how happy Fred was — it warmed her heart to feel happiness radiate from him.

     "Done it," Fred whispered triumphantly to them, winking cheekily to Tessa right in front of Philip. "Just taken it."

     Tessa laughed, ignoring the way Philip narrowed his eyes ever so lightly at Fred. She knew very well that Philip was an avid supporter of her and Draco and expressed his disapproval on other boys making a move on her. She had laughed at Philip's face and called him ridiculous.

     "I can't believe you lot really did it," she said between laughs.

     "What?" Ron asked dumbly.

     "The Aging Potion, dung brains," Fred snorted.

     "One drop each," George added. "We only need to be a few months older."

     "We're going to split the thousand Galleons between the three of us if one of us wins," Lee joined in with a grin.

     "I'm not sure this is going to work, you know," Hermione said in a sing-song voice. "I'm sure Dumbledore will have thought of this."

Everyone ignored Hermione as Fred turned to his twin and Lee. "Ready? C'mon, then — I'll go first — " He pulled off a slip of parchment from his pocket and walked right up to the edge of the line. With everyone's eyes on him, Fred sucked in a sharp breath before taking a step over.

Tessa held in her breath for so long, she thought her lungs would explode any second now. George happily jumped right after Fred — but the next thing Tessa knew, there was a loud sizzling sound as both twins were launched back out the circle and landed painfully on the floor. With a popping sound, long white beards grew from their faces as everyone burst out laughing.

"I did warn you," the amused voice of Dumbledore rang out, and everyone turned to him. "I suggest you both go up to Madams Pomfrey and Valentine. They are already tending to Miss Fawcett, of Ravenclaw, and Mr. Summers, of Hufflepuff, both of whom decided to age themselves up a little too. Though I must say, neither of their beards is anything like as fine as yours."

Tessa watched as the twins made their way to the infirmary with Lee howling in laughter. They made their way to breakfast, Tessa faltering on her feet when she saw Draco enter the Great Hall with Crabbe and Goyle flanking either sides of him. She couldn't help but to subconsciously straighten herself, ready to wave at him — until she saw the Beauxbatons girl approach him.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

Draco was in an exceptionally foul mood since yesterday, and most people steered clear from him. At least he thought they did — until he entered the Great Hall, hands casually tucked in his pockets. As usual, his eyes immediately scanned the crowd of people for her. But before he'd even found her, someone had blocked his path.

"Hello, I'm Adalene." It was a Beauxbatons girl with light blonde hair and big brown eyes. She was smiling at Draco, coyly twirling her curly hair with a finger.

Draco merely blinked at her, saying nothing as he made a move to sidestep her — but she moved in front of him again. He lifted a brow and drawled lazily, "Can I help you?"

Adalene beamed at the fact he'd spoken to her. "Do you remember me? From yesterday, I tripped and — "

"Sorry," he interrupted, though his careless tone meant anything but apologetic, "I have no clue who you are." His silver eyes continued to scan the crowd before he heard a familiar laughter — and he instantly spotted her with some Gryffindor friends. He fought the urge to grin at the sight of her with that large smile of hers.

Adalene looked rather disappointed as she tried to catch his attention again. "I was wondering if you'd like to — "

"I have a girlfriend," Draco blurted out, eyes sharply cutting to her brown ones again. "And I don't think she'd appreciate you hanging around like this. Right, boys?" Draco called out, a dangerous smirk tugging on his lips.

Crabbe nodded vigorously at Adalene as Goyle threw in, "Tessa can be really scary if she wants to."

Adalene looked thoroughly upset now, and seemed as though she might cry any minute now. Draco didn't do well with crying girls — especially ones he didn't particularly care about. Without anymore words, he walked passed her with Crabbe and Goyle following closely behind.

"Is it true?" Crabbe asked him as they approached the Slytherin table.

Draco made a show of rolling his eyes and chuckling darkly. "Of course not." Despite that, he couldn't stop himself from wistfully looking over at his Braveheart who was now talking animatedly with Philip. And suddenly — Draco felt alone again at that moment.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

"What're we going to do today, then?" Ron asked them as they finished breakfast. Philip had said goodbye to them, explaining that he was going to see what Krum was up to. Before Ron could pester him on an autograph, Tessa waved him off.

"We haven't been down to visit Hagrid yet," Harry reminded.

"Okay, just as long as he doesn't ask us to donate a few fingers to the skrewts."

     Tessa yawned and Ron recoiled away from her. "Sorry," she mumbled, popping in some mints to take away the strong scent of coffee.

     Hermione suddenly beamed and said, "I've just realized — I haven't asked Hagrid to join S.P.E.W. yet! Wait for me, will you, while I nip upstairs and get the badges?"

     "What is it with her?" Ron asked exasperatedly as she dashed up the stairs. Tessa quietly rubbed the back of her neck, thinking on how Hermione didn't give her the chance to offer to get it herself with her magic of opening doors.

     "Hey, Ron," Harry said suddenly, looking at someone behind them. "It's your friend . . ."

     Tessa turned and resisted the urge to burst out laughing. The Beauxbatons students were approaching the Goblet of Fire, even the girl from earlier who'd spoken to Draco, and the one from last night whom Ron had fawned nonstop over.

     Madame Maxime organized them into a line as they all dropped their name into the fire.

     "What d'you reckon'll happen to the ones who aren't chosen?" Ron muttered to them. "Reckon they'll go back to school, or hang around to watch the tournament?"

     Tessa hummed thoughtfully. "I don't know about the lot of them — but that girl looks like she'd cry if she wasn't chosen."

     Ron rolled his eyes at her. "You're only saying that because she clearly likes Malfoy."

     Tessa's face burned bright red at that as she shoved Ron away and shuffled to stand on Harry's side. She peered over her brother's shoulder to glare at Ron and stick his tongue out at him.

     Harry looked up the ceiling as though begging for strength to endure the two of them.

     "Where are they sleeping, then?" Ron asked as he watched them all leave the Hall.

     Before Tessa or Harry could respond, there was a rattling noise behind them as Hermione came bounding down the steps with the box of S.P.E.W. badges.

     "Oh good, hurry up," Ron mumbled as they all left the steps. They walked behind the Beauxbatons students and made their way to the edge of the Forbidden Forest where Hagrid's hut stood. Harry knocked on his door as Fang's barks answered loudly.

     "'Bout time!" Hagrid exclaimed while opening the door for them. "Thought you lot'd forgotten where I live!"

"We've been really busy, Hag —" Tessa started before abruptly cutting short upon seeing what he was wearing: a hairy brown suit and a checked yellow and orange tie. He'd even tied his hair into a ponytail.

Hermione coughed and said awkwardly, "Erm — where are the skrewts?"

"Out by the pumpkin patch," Hagrid said happily. "They're gettin' massive, mus' be nearly three foot long now. On'y trouble is, they've started killin' each other."

"Oh no, really?" Hermione said quickly as Tessa pinched Ron to keep from commenting on Hagrid's hairstyle.

"Yeah. 'S' okay, though, I've got 'em in separate boxes now. Still got abou' twenty."

"Well, that's lucky," Ron huffed sarcastically.

The four went to sit on the couch and instantly immersed themselves into a discussion on the Tournament as Hagrid made them tea.

"You wait," he said, grinning. "You jus' wait. Yer going ter see some stuff yeh've never seen before. Firs' task . . . ah, but I'm not supposed ter say."

"Go on, Hagrid!"

"I don' want ter spoil it fer yeh. But it's gonna be spectacular, I'll tell yeh that. Them champions're going ter have their work cut out. Never thought I'd live ter see the Triwizard Tournament played again!"

The four ended up staying for lunch with Hagrid as they drifted from topic to topic about the Tournament to Philip to the Beauxbatons girl Ron was infatuated with and to Hagrid arguing with Hermione about house-elves.

"It'd be doin' 'em an unkindness, Hermione," he said gravely. "It's in their nature ter look after humans, that's what they like, see? Yeh'd be makin' 'em unhappy ter take away their work, an' insultin' 'em if yeh tried ter pay 'em."

"But Harry set Dobby free, and he was over the moon about it!" Hermione retorted. "And we heard he's asking for wages now!"

"Yeah, well, yeh get weirdos in every breed. I'm not sayin' there isn't the odd elf who'd take freedom, but yeh'll never persuade most of 'em ter do it — no, nothin' doin', Hermione."

She looked rather upset, but Tessa tried her best to comfort and cheer her up. Eventually, it was time to head back to the castle for the Halloween feast and for the announcement of the school champions.

"I'll come with yeh," Hagrid proclaimed. "Jus' give us a sec." He got up and went to search for something in his drawers — until a horrible smell wafted into their nostrils.

Ron was coughing as he said, "Hagrid, what's that?"

"Eh? Don' yeh like it?" There was a massive bottle in his hands.

"Is that aftershave?" Hermione asked in a choked voice.

"Er — eau de cologne," Hagrid muttered. "Maybe it's a bit much, I'll go take it off, hang on . . . " He walked out of the cabin and washed himself in the water barrel.

"Eau de cologne?" Hermione repeated in surprise. "Hagrid?"

Tessa was still wheezing for air. "Should I be concerned?"

"And what's with the hair and the suit?" Harry added.

"Look!" Ron pointed out the window and they all watched Hagrid straighten himself and turn beet red. Madame Maxime and her students had just emerged from their carriage to head off to the feast as well. He was talking to her in an overtly rapt expression and Tessa dramatically covered her mouth with a hand as understanding dawned on her.

"He's going up to the castle with her!" Hermione cried out indignantly. "I thought he was waiting for us!"

They watched as Hagrid followed right after Madame Maxime and her students up the castle.

"He fancies her!" Ron said incredulously. "Well, if they end up having children, they'll be setting a world record — bet any baby of theirs would weigh about a ton."

Tessa snorted and lightly hit Ron's arm before they themselves walked out of the cabin and up the sloping lawns. "Ooh it's them, look!" Hermione whispered.

Over by the lake, they could see the Durmstrang students making their way up toward the castle. Viktor Krum was at the front between Karkaroff and Philip who was impatiently brushing his ebony hair away from his eyes.

Upon entering inside the Great Hall, Tessa noticed that the Goblet of Fire had been moved in front of Dumbledore's empty chair at the teachers' table. She smiled lopsidedly at Fred, taking a seat between him and Philip. "Glad to see you without a beard."

     Fred grinned back at her, cocking his head slightly. "It was actually amusing while it lasted — nice to know what you thought about it."

     George popped his head over his twin's shoulder to look at Tessa and whisper, "Your mum wouldn't stop laughing when she saw us at first."

     Fred nodded. "Took her a while before she could help manage the beards."

     The feast started shortly, and Tessa had shared raised eyebrows with Hermione on how Fred had suddenly piled food into her plate before Philip could even pick up his silverware.

     "Hope it's Angelina," Fred said as they talked about the champions.

     "So do I!" Hermione agreed through a mouthful of food. "Well, we'll soon know!"

     Once the golden plates disappeared from the tables, everyone quieted down as Dumbledore got to his feet. "Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision. I estimate that it requires one more minute. Now, when the champions' names are called, I would ask them please to come up to the top of the Hall, walk along the staff table, and go through into the next chamber where they will be receiving their first instructions."

     He took out his wand and at once, all the candles except those inside the carved pumpkins were extinguished. The Goblet of Fire shone brightly and illuminated the Hall with blue-white flames.

     In the midst of the tension, Tessa's eyes wandered off and she found herself locking gazes with Draco. She raised her eyebrows slightly at him. Nervous on who the Hogwarts champion would be?

     His lips quirked up as he regarded her fondly for a second. I don't really care about such trivial matters like who it is — but I suppose I hope it's a Slytherin.

     Tessa dared herself to smirk and purposely shifted her eyes to the Hufflepuff table. What if I say I want it to be Cedric Diggory?

     Draco's eyes seemed to darken in a manner that made him look like an avenging angel as he tipped his head down slightly, his hair tumbling atop his eyes. Now why would you want to do that when you have a perfectly capable Gryffindor who'd submitted her name?

     Tessa feigned an innocent look, propping her chin against her fist. I'm just saying — if I were playing a game, I'd cast my vote on Cedric.

     Draco paused for a moment to assess her face before he blinked. Braveheart, did you really bet on Diggory to get chosen as champion?

     Why not? Tessa winked at him. It's called a hustle, sweetheart.

     The blue-white flames suddenly turned red as sparks flew from it. Just then, a tongue of flame shot into the air as a charred piece of parchment fluttered out of it. Dumbledore caught it and read aloud: "The champion for Durmstrang will be Viktor Krum."

     "No surprises there!" Ron yelled happily as everyone burst into applause for Krum who stood up and made his way into the chamber next to the staff table.

"Bravo, Viktor!" Karkaroff was proudly booming. "Knew you had it in you!"

Philip had whistled loudly next to Tessa, showing his support as well.

Once the applause died down, everyone swiveled their attentions back to the Goblet of Fire that turned red again. A second piece of parchment flew out and Dumbledore caught it. "The champion for Beauxbatons is Fleur Delacour!"

"It's her, Ron!" Harry shouted as the girl with silver hair stood up and made her way out of the Ravenclaw table.

"Oh look, they're all disappointed," Hermione said, nodding toward the remainder of the Beauxbatons party. Tessa couldn't help but to snicker upon seeing the same girl who'd spoken to Draco earlier burst out wailing.

Philip rolled his eyes at her. "You cruel thing."

She grinned gleefully. "Yours truly."

Everyone hushed down again as the flames turned red — it was time for Hogwarts to find out their champion. "The Hogwarts champion," Dumbledore called, "is Cedric Diggory!"

There was a loud uproar as everyone screamed and stamped and shouted. Tessa had gone ballistic amidst the crowd, up on her feet as she cheered for Cedric at the top of her lungs all the while stretching a hand out to Seamus and Dean and several more Gryffindors to pay up their loss for the bet.

"Excellent!" Dumbledore called happily once the noise finally lessened. "Well, we now have our three champions. I am sure I can count upon all of you, including the remaining students from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang, to give your champions every ounce of support you can muster. By cheering your champion on, you will contribute in a very real —"

For some apparent reason, the fire in the Goblet had turned red once again as sparks flew into the air. Just then — it gave out a small burst of flame as another piece of parchment shot out. Dumbledore reached out and seized the paper as he stared at it for a long time.

     And in a very calm voice he said clearly, "Harry Potter."

     Tessa froze — she'd gone so still she didn't even know if she was breathing. Harry looked incredibly lost with the situation, and she instantly knew he had no clue on what was happening. She dared herself to look up at the staff table where her mother sat. Catherine had a look of utter horror on the situation — her face blanching to the color of the light blonde on her hair.

     Silence rang throughout the Hall, you could hear a pin drop as Harry stayed in his seat, unmoving. Professor McGonagall got to her feet and approached Dumbledore to whisper something urgently.

     The first person Harry instantly turned to was Tessa, a look of desperation on his face. She reached across the table to hold his clammy hand firmly in hers as she held his gaze. "I believe you," she whispered strongly.

     She watched her brother turn to Ron, Hermione, and everyone else in the Gryffindor who were all gaping at him. "I didn't put my name in," Harry said blankly. "You know I didn't." But Ron and Hermione were just staring back at him.

     Up at the staff table, Dumbledore straightened and called out again, "Harry Potter! Harry! Up here, if you please!"

     "Go on," Hermione whispered, giving Harry a slight push. And Tessa watched her brother silently walk amidst the judging crowd and enter the chamber alone.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

     The entire Gryffindor common room was in full blast by the time Harry got back. Tessa was sitting alone in the corner of the partying room, anxiously waiting for him. Ron and Hermione had gone back into their dormitories, clearly upset with the turn of events.

     "You should've told us you'd entered!" Fred bellowed as soon as Harry stepped in.

     "How did you do it without getting a beard? Brilliant!" George added.

     Tessa tried to push her way through the crowd as Angelina approached Harry. "Oh if it couldn't be me, at least it's a Gryffindor —"

     "You'll be able to pay back Diggory for that last Quidditch match, Harry!" Katie exclaimed happily.

     "We've got food, Harry, come and have some —"

     "I'm not hungry, I had enough at the feast —" Harry's eyes cut to Tessa and he instantly left the shouting crowd and went over to her. "Tessa — I don't know what happened — "

     She grabbed her hands in his. "It's okay — I believe you. Do you remember what I always say?"

     Harry swallowed roughly, nodding absentmindedly as he mumbled, "We'll be okay."

     She nodded. "Exactly. We'll be okay."

     "Where're Ron and Hermione?"

     "Ron should be up in the dormitory, as well as Hermione." Tessa paused before adding in gently, "Perhaps you should go try and talk to Ron."

     "Yeah, okay. I'll see you tomorrow morning, Tessa." Harry reached over to give her a side hug. "Thank you."

     She squeezed him tighter. "Of course — you're my brother, I'll always believe you."

     Sunday morning, Tessa had apologized to Philip and explained that she wanted to stay with Harry and comfort him. He'd waved her off, saying it was fine and that Krum had been looking for him anyways. She hurried down to grab some breakfast with Hermione, before rushing back up to the common room.

     "Hello," Hermione said as they came face-to-face with Harry. "We brought you this — " she gestured to the stack of toast she and Tessa were carrying.

     "Want to go for a walk?" Tessa asked, handing him a piece.

     "Good idea," Harry mumbled gratefully as they left the castle and strode across the lawn toward the lake where the Durmstrang ship was moored. As they walked, he explained to Hermione what he told Tessa last night.

"Well, of course I knew you hadn't entered yourself," Hermione finally said. "The look on your face when Dumbledore read out your name! But the question is, who did put it in? Because Moody's right, Harry . . . I don't think any student could have done it . . . they'd never be able to fool the Goblet, or get over Dumbledore's —"

"Have you seen Ron?" Harry interrupted.

Tessa and Hermione hesitated before the latter said slowly, "Erm . . . yes . . . he was at breakfast."

"Does he still think I entered myself?"

"Well . . . no, I don't think so . . . not really," Tessa said with a cough.

"What's that supposed to mean, 'not really'?"

"Oh Harry, isn't it obvious?" Hermione said. "He's jealous!"

"Jealous?" Harry said incredulously. "Jealous of what? He wants to make a prat of himself in front of the whole school, does he?"

"Look," Hermione said patiently as Tessa brought Draco's jacket closer around her, "it's always you who gets all the attention, you know it is. I know it's not your fault — I know you don't ask for it . . . but — well — you know, Ron's got all those brothers to compete against at home, and you're his best friend, and you're really famous — he's always shunted to one side whenever people see you, and he puts up with it, and he never mentions it, but I suppose this is just one time too many . . . "

"Great," Harry muttered bitterly. "Really great. Tell him from me I'll swap any time he wants. Tell him from me he's welcome to it . . . People gawping at my forehead everywhere I go . . . "

Tessa frowned slightly at that. "We're not telling him anything. You can tell him yourself — it's the only way to sort this out."

"I'm not running around after him trying to make him grow up! Maybe he'll believe I'm not enjoying myself once I've got my neck broken or —"

"That's not funny," Hermione murmured quietly. "That's not funny at all. Harry, we've been thinking — you know what we've got to do, don't you? Straight away, the moment we get back to the castle?"

"Yeah, give Ron a good kick up the —"

Tessa snorted as Hermione intervened, "Write to Sirius. You've got to tell him what's happened. He asked you to keep him posted on everything that's going on at Hogwarts . . . It's almost as if he expected something like this to happen. I brought some parchment and a quill out with me —"

"Come off it." Harry glanced around them to make sure no one was nearby. "He came back to the country just because my scar twinged. He'll probably come bursting right into the castle if I tell him someone's entered me in the Triwizard Tournament —"

Tessa smiled faintly, remembering all the stories her mother had told her about Sirius's temper and no-nonsense attitude. "I don't doubt it at all."

"He'd want you to tell him," Hermione told him sternly. "He's going to find out anyway —"

"How?"

"Harry, this isn't going to be kept quiet. This tournament's famous, and you're famous. I'll be really surprised if there isn't anything in the Daily Prophet about you competing . . . You're already in half the books about You- Know-Who, you know . . . and Sirius would rather hear it from you, I know he would."

Tessa sighed and warily glanced at Harry. "If you won't write to him — I will. And if you don't think I'd really do it, then Mum will."

"Okay, okay, I'll write to him," Harry finally said, tossing his last piece of toast toward the lake where a large tentacle rose up to grab it. "Whose owl am I going to use?" Harry said as they climbed the stairs. "He told me not to use Hedwig again."

Hermione started, "Ask Ron if you can borrow —"

"I'm not asking Ron for anything."

Tessa rolled her eyes. "Then use Tommy, you genius — Merlin, you're more dramatic than I am."

They went up to the Owlery where Tessa called her owl over. She gently stroked his feathers as Hermione passed Harry a quill and some parchment. She peered over his shoulder as she read the letter.

Dear Sirius,

You told me to keep you posted on what's happening at Hogwarts, so here goes — I don't know if you've heard, but the Tri-wizard Tournament's happening this year and on Saturday night I got picked as a fourth champion. I don't know who put my name in the Goblet of Fire, because I didn't. The other Hogwarts champion is Cedric Diggory, from Hufflepuff.

Hope you're okay, and Buckbeak —
Harry

"Finished," Harry told them loudly as Hedwig came flying over to him. "I can't use you, I've got to use Thomas today . . ."

     Hedwig have a loud hoot and took off instantly. He tied the letter to Tommy's leg as Tessa sent him off. Harry tried to reach for Hedwig, but she furiously clicked her beak and flew away from him.

"First Ron, then you," Harry said angrily. "This isn't my fault."

The next day, the situation didn't get any better for Harry as everyone continued to stare and whisper amongst themselves. Even Tessa couldn't stop Draco from sneering at Harry upon seeing him during Care of Magical Creatures — the blond was mad and had the perfect excuse to go about hissing pettily about it.

"Ah, look, boys, it's the champion," he said to Crabbe and Goyle upon approaching the Golden Quartet. "Got your autograph books? Better get a signature now, because I doubt he's going to be around much longer . . . Half the Triwizard champions have died . . . how long d'you reckon you're going to last, Potter? Ten minutes into the first task's my bet."

His two goons began to guffaw idiotically, but when Tessa hissed loudly and drew in her breath in a threatening manner — both Crabbe and Goyle recoiled instantly in fear. Draco frowned, but decided to shut up for the remaining of the class.

The next couple days that passed by seemed to bring Tessa to an edge. For some odd reason, she was getting more and more irritated with the smallest of things. She was snappier than usual, and even Philip had a difficult time in calming down the roaring in her veins. What's worse was that Tessa couldn't control her ability to open doors — and would end up yanking open doors to random places. It aggravated her to no end, and did nothing to soothe the fire inside her tempting to explode.

It didn't help that one Ravenclaw girl had bumped into Tessa one morning, making her drop all her books as she and her new friend — the Beauxbatons girl called Adalene who kept trying to talk to Draco — had laughed at her.

Tessa had snarled at them to leave her alone, but the Ravenclaw girl had narrowed her eyes at her and said, "As much as you used to hate Malfoy, Tessa — you're no better than him."

Her eyes had flashed menacingly as she got to her feet after picking her things up. She opened her mouth to make a retort to that, but Adalene had raised a hand. "Wait — you're Tessa?"

"What's it to you?" Tessa couldn't stop herself from barking.

The Beauxbatons girl made a show of looking at Tessa from head to toe with a scrutinizing eye, scrunching her nose up at her before tugging her Ravenclaw friend away to whisper something in her ear.

Later that afternoon, they had Double Potions — and Tessa could already feel herself getting grumpier. When they arrived at Snape's dungeon after lunch, the Slytherins were all waiting outside with a large badge in front of their robes saying:

SUPPORT CEDRIC DIGGORY —
THE REAL HOGWARTS CHAMPION!

"Like them, Potter?" Draco said loudly as Harry approached. "And this isn't all they do — look!" He pressed his badge against his chest as the red letters switched to green:

HARRY POTTER STINKS

Everyone howled with laughter as Tessa clenched her fists and counted to ten to leash her temper. "Oh very funny," Hermione said sarcastically to Pansy Parkinson, "really witty."

"Want one, Granger?" Draco asked, holding one out for Hermione. "I've got loads. But don't touch my hand, now. I've just washed it, you see; don't want a Mudblood sliming it up."

Tessa sucked in a sharp breath, opening her mouth to yell at him — but Harry had taken a step forward and drawn his wand out.

"Harry!" Hermione said warningly.

"Go on, then, Potter," Draco said quietly, drawing out his own wand. "Moody's not here to look after you now — do it, if you've got the guts —"

Instantly, Tessa stepped between them, coming face-to-face with Draco. She held his gaze in hers, those silver eyes void of humor as he warily watched her. "Don't do this," she whispered to him. "Please."

A battle of emotions crossed his face as slowly — very slowly — Draco lowered his wand, only to watch his eyes flicker to something behind Tessa — and he swiftly pushed her aside when Harry yelled, "Furnunculus!"

"Densaugeo!" Draco shouted as soon as he managed to push Tessa away from Harry's curse. Lights shot from both wands as they ricocheted off each other — hitting Hermione and Goyle in their faces.

"Hermione!" Ron hurried forward as Tessa gasped and scrambled to her feet. Hermione's front teeth — already larger than average — were now growing at an alarming rate.

"And what is all this noise about?"came the cold voice of Snape who pointed a finger at Draco and said, "Explain."

"Potter attacked me, sir —"

"We attacked each other at the same time!" Harry shouted.

"— and he hit Goyle — look —"

"Hospital wing, Goyle," Snape said calmly.

"Malfoy got Hermione!" Ron said. "Look!"

Snape blinked lazily at Hermione's beaver-like teeth and sneered, "I see no difference."

Hermione whimpered and scampered away as Tessa turned her furious gaze at Snape. In a growling voice, she said, "I don't know why you enjoy acting this way — but you're a pathetic excuse of a professor."

Harry reached for a hand, to warn her to keep quiet — as Snape glared nastily at Tessa before saying, "Let's see. Fifty points from Gryffindor and a detention each for the Potters and Weasley. Now get inside, or it'll be a week's worth of detentions."

Tessa snarled at him, but Harry and Ron dragged her inside before it got any worse. The two boys flanking her sides were shaking in anger as they slammed their bags down onto the table. Tessa made to her usual seat beside Theo's, but he was absent today, so she went to sit beside Harry.

It took her a very long time to calm down.

ϟ ϟ ϟ ϟ

Tessa stayed with Hermione for a few hours, angrily ranting to her mother about everything that happened. When she was exhausted and drained, Hermione had told her to go on back up to the dormitory where Harry might be waiting for her.

True enough, she found Harry waiting in the common room with a letter from Sirius.

Harry —

I can't say everything I would like to in a letter, it's too risky in case the owl is intercepted — we need to talk face-to-face. Can you ensure that you are alone by the fire in Gryffindor Tower at one o'clock in the morning on the 22nd of November? Bring Tessa along with you.

I know better than anyone that you can look after yourself and while you're around Dumbledore and Moody I don't think anyone will be able to hurt you. However, someone seems to be having a good try. Entering you in that tournament would have been very risky, especially right under Dumbledore's nose. Be on the watch, Harry. I still want to hear about anything unusual. Let me know about the 22nd of November as quickly as you can.

Sirius

Tessa sighed and leaned into the cushions of the couch as she mumbled tiredly, "I hope Sirius has answers that'd help us."

Harry mumbled back, "You and me both, Tessa. You and me both."

A/N

THE LOT OF YOU ASKED FOR DRAMA IN THE LAST CHAPTER'S COMMENTS — AND SO I PRESENT TO YOU DRAMA!!!

Any ideas on how the next chapter will play out? I'm super excited to write about it! So much things are going to happen in this book — along with several foreshadowing!!! Tbh I've laced so much foreshadowing since the beginning of Goblet of Fire, I'm not sure if y'all caught it —

What was your favorite part of this chapter! Tell me about it!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

91.3K 2.1K 86
COMPLETE. Hermione convinces Draco to spy for the Order and she becomes his handler. But what are Draco's true motivations? Hard to say when he's sti...
64.6K 2.2K 76
⚠️UNDER EDITING/REVISION⚠️ (Still available to read) "There's no way that boy could ever feel love..." Hermione spat "I think he could...you guys j...
46.3K 1.2K 42
Draco Malfoy: cold, distant, ignorant, rude, arrogant, and above all else, downright gorgeous. Juniper Hartley: caring, intelligent, unfathomably sw...
717K 15.5K 59
"I know you want me Laurier" he whispered, I lifted my head up and glare at him. With every anger I seethed through gritted teeth, "Fuck you Malfoy"...