Epiphany

By FairySalvatore

Nazereth Vinter is the fun-loving handsome Prince of Krobet, the largest of the five elemental Kingdoms and a... More

⇞ epiphany ⇞
⇞ glossary ⇞
⇞ udairis ⇞
⇞ fire master ⇞
⇞ princess ⇞
⇞ ceremony ⇞
⇞ home ⇞
⇞ target ⇞
⇞ agony ⇞
⇞ humiliation ⇞
⇞ stupor ⇞
⇞ lavish prisoner ⇞
⇞ the hunt ⇞
⇞ hope ⇞
⇞ pretense ⇞
⇞trouble ⇞
⇞ fiends ⇞
⇞ hatred ⇞
⇞ unwanted guests ⇞
⇞ songs of pain ⇞
⇞ protective ⇞
⇞ bitter truth ⇞
⇞ trials ⇞
⇞ price to pay ⇞
⇞ agitation ⇞
⇞ water-ride ⇞
⇞ exchange mission ⇞
⇞ monster ⇞
⇞ trance ⇞
⇞ enchantment ⇞
⇞ invitation ⇞
⇞ amulet ⇞
⇞ person of interest ⇞
⇞ closer ⇞
⇞ heartache ⇞
⇞ medicine for pain ⇞
⇞ heartbreak ⇞
⇞ new turn ⇞
⇞ remorse ⇞
⇞ attempt to heal ⇞
⇞ needed ⇞
⇞ stronger ⇞
⇞dream ⇞
⇞ destination ⇞
⇞ secrets ⇞
⇞Re-attempt ⇞
⇞ tower ⇞
⇞ butter biscuits ⇞
⇞ plan a ⇞
⇞ error ⇞
⇞ confrontation ⇞
⇞ stage ⇞
A/N
⇞ root ⇞
⇞ a friend in need ⇞
⇞ rescue plan? ⇞
⇞ failed rescue plan ⇞
⇞ The Same Fate ⇞
⇞ light in dark ⇞
⇞ disbalance ⇞
⇞ princess of udairis ⇞
⇞ dawn of the curse ⇞
⇞ the weapon ⇞
⇞ courage ⇞
⇞ puppet strings ⇞
⇞ reign of terror ⇞
⇞ vengeful soul ⇞
⇞ haunted ⇞
⇞ hope for survival ⇞
⇞ journey ⇞
⇞ only solution ⇞
⇞ her epiphany ⇞
⇞ krobet ⇞

⇞ warmth and support ⇞

1.5K 155 8
By FairySalvatore

"And I thought you said he was king," Drian said in a pained tone.

I remembered when he was little and I would sing him to sleep just because we had no food and his stomach grumbled. He would pretend to close his eyes so that I would stop singing and don't tire myself. He was maybe five or six then.

The concern in his eyes was still the same.

"Should I sing?" I said lightly not trying to show the pain I was feeling on seeing his injuries.

"You have been living with someone like him, someone so...monstrous?"

"He is not," I said rather sharply.

Through the memories, I have seen him as a kind and beautiful person that he is.

"Why are you defending him?" Drian asked with a frown.

"He has lost everything and everyone he loved. Just imagine for a second if you went through the same." I said and Drian actually thought for a moment.

"I would kill everyone in my presence." He said in a defeated tone.

"Then he would kill everyone who came here from Udairis?" Drian concluded the plan.

I didn't agree to anything.

"I would not let anything happen to you," I said bravely.

He chuckled at my attempt but that made him wince as well due to all the injuries on his body.

And rest of the night passed with us talking and then he drifted to sleep while I was too scared to do so.

A few hours later the King entered and I looked at him, from his state he didn't get any sleep last night either.

"Him, drag him out," King said and I saw that he pointed to Drian.

"No, no, don't do that. I beg you." I said not ashamed of literally begging him to protect Drian.

His eyes darkened in anger and guards woke up a sleeping Drian and dragged him. I followed along. When we stepped outside I realized it was still dark, closer to the time of dawn.

"Tie him to the pole, let's see how well he can handle the heat of the fire."

And guards followed. Drain avoided looking at me knowing too well I will break down on seeing his pain.

I was running out of threats and ideas and the panic was building in my body.

He clicked his finger and fire started burning under the wooden pull and a sharp scream escaped Drian's mouth.

And I reached out to Nazereth's hand, grabbing it desperately," I will do anything you want me to do. I will die, run or be a spy for you, anything you want, please don't kill him. He has been my family more than my family while I was locked in a tower."

"And I should care about your family because?" He asked with confusion evident in his eyes.

I tried what I did before and held his hand, taking away all the pain if that is even possible. The flicker in his eyes flashed a moment before extinguishing again. His eyes locked with mine, the hate, the anger was gone, he just stared as I felt his pain seep into me.

Then I knew he was in pain but the amount shocked me yet again as it came down crashing on me. My bone, my soul everything squirmed with sharp ache. For some reason, his pain has intensified at that moment.

"What is this? What are you doing? For a moment I actually thought of not killing this soldier." And he jerked his hand away looking shocked.

I gasped and fell on the ground.

I looked up at him and his frown deepened. How was he carrying so much pain and what made it increase to such level? But at that moment, a tear slipped his eyes.

Surprised even to react I stared at him as he himself looked surprised and carefully wiped a single tear. I coughed out blood after the amount of pain I just took in and saw concern fill his eyes. I was hopeful again. The fire had died down as his attention shifted from Drian to me now.

"Why Ermeline?" He asked sounding agitated.

"He is a brother I never had," I said not sure if this was the right thing to say but the pain was making me dizzy.

He sighed and looked at me as more blood dripped down my nose this time.

"Please not him." I pleaded again.

"What did you do to me Ermeline?" He muttered as he bent down and picked me up in his arms.

I was so astounded even in this sick state that I gasped. He had strong arms and he was carrying me away from there. My eyes were getting heavier as I clutched onto him for my dear life but I wanted to make sure, so I asked barely able to speak," Not him?"

He looked at me with a tired expression," Not him." He answered after a while.

And I let the pain pull me in.

➻➻➻

A girl was singing and I knew it was Nazereth's sister. But this time we were standing in a garden. I have never seen it but from the looks of it, it was somewhere inside the palace. It was beautiful.

I wanted to let explore it but I was frozen staring at the singing girl. I was staring at her with utter happiness that her song was spreading. Birds were sitting there enchanted by her voice.

But then I saw Nazereth, behind the tree with tear-filled eyes. He was holding it back as he stared into nothingness listening to his sister sing.

He was worried and the song was making him relax.

But this was no memory, this was something else more like a thought process like I saw earlier. Because this Nazereth had lost all his goodness, the kind smile, this one had coal-black eyes as he held back the tears.

He was seeking comfort from his sister's voice.

And for some reason, this little soft part in him melted my heart. He was still that brother, son, and lover before being the King, before anything else.

The trance ended and my eyes shot open. I was in a familiar room, Nazereth's room. I carefully looked at my surroundings. Nazereth was sitting next to the bed on a wooden chair and his hand was on mine, which made sense why I was looking into his thought process.

His head was resting uncomfortably on the chair as he was sleeping while sitting and it warmed my heart. He was here for some reason and last I remember he promised not to hurt Drian.

Then panic hit me as I realized my clothes were changed. Flushed with embarrassment I tried to sneak out and carefully stepped out of the bed but his hand caught my wrist making my heart leap to my throat.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

And words failed me.

This was one of those times when his beauty surprised me. He was so good looking that it put other Princes to shame, heart-aching handsome if I mildly summarize it.

"Have you lost your ability to speak?" He asked in his usual stern tone.

"Maybe," I mumbled realizing I said it out loud.

He didn't let go of my hand which was making it worse.

"How are you feeling?" He asked and his tone was enough to make me sigh.

"Sore, but fine."

I wanted to ask how Drian was, the question was on the tip of my tongue but I wanted to do that when he was not holding my hand and I was out of his reach.

"Then you need to answer my few questions."

I nodded feeling wary.

I sat down as he gestured right in front of him and my eyes couldn't decide where to look.

"Look at me Ermeline." He said and I did because I had no other choice.

And at that moment the teary-eyed, devastated Nazereth from the thoughts came to my mind. He needed someone to help him right now and care for him. Like everyone else, he needed a support point even though he pretended to be stronger and cold.

"Who are you, Princess?" He asked in a sharp tone.

But after spending months with him I was accustomed to the tone. His question was what caught me off guard.

"What?"

"Who are you and what kind of power do you hold?" He asked seriously.

"If I answer your questions will you answer mine?" I asked in a small tone.

"This is not a game." He snapped.

"I hope it was." I murmured but being absolute silence he heard it.

"I am not answering any questions." He said.

"Neither am I," I said just wanting to know if Drian was okay.

"He is okay if that is what you wanted to know." He said in a tired tone.

"Is he here?" I asked not holding back the relief.

"They all left, but your actual brother did not once come to check on you while he did, several times. For now, I let them all go because I will make sure there is a war where I will beat them fair and square."

I sighed in relief almost feeling weak.

"I am Princess of Udairis and I have no powers" I obliged him with an answer.

"Then how is it that you go in a trance, how is it that when you can actually make me feel painless for some time, how is that you can actually change my mind about something." He sounded exasperated at his own self more than me.

"Maybe that is just the good in you," I said softly not sure I can explain how or what I could do.

"Don't start this again." He said in a threatening tone.

"Then tell me why the Prince was here when he doesn't care for you, was it some kind of plan?" He asked.

But my mind was so settled on his good part, the way he carried me when I took in his pain and how he actually let Drian go.

"He was here to see if I was alive and still a thread to hold the peace between the Kingdoms," I said truthfully.

"It's my turn for a question," I said and waited for him to snap or storm out of the room.

But he just frowned.

I took this as encouragement and asked my question," Can you close your eyes?"

His eyes widened at my question.

"Please," I said scared that this might go wrong.

He sighed and surprising me closed his eyes.

"Is this the time when you stab me as per the plan?" He said with his eyes closed.

But I gathered all the courage and snaking my arm around his neck I pulled him for a hug. His whole body when stiff.

"What do you think you are doing Ermeline, do you wish to die?" He said in a strained voice.

But I pulled him even closer letting him know that I can be his source of warmth and support.

"Let go, now Ermeline." He said but didn't push me away.

I sighed with a small smile as I felt the warmth myself. Subconsciously I buried my head in his shoulder taking in his scent that made my heart speed up.

"That's enough." He said but sounded more awkward than anything else.

I pulled away before I broke his patience and searched his eyes.

My heart swelled with joy as I saw the flicker in them shine brighter.

"Thank you for everything," I said as I realized how hard it must be for him to let go of army of men he hated.

And he did it for me, there was absolutely no other reason.

He stared back at me with confusion clear on his face.

With sudden haste he finally let go of my hand and got up, "You can leave now."

So I did because embarrassment came crashing down on me.

➻➻➻

Wow, but it's kind of hard to pull out of anger and sadness to get into healing mode. So it took me 3 tries to write this chapter and I think now it turned out okay.

He is suspicious of Zephora now. But for now, her secret is safe because trust me other troubles are coming.

Also let me know if you have any thoughts to share both +ve and -ve, helps me shape the story.

Have a good weekend and happy reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84.2K 7.3K 84
A BOY WHO IS HATED BY EVERYONE.HIS OWN BROTHER HIMSELF HATES HIM AND CALLS HIM A CURSE BUT ONE DAY EVERYTHING CHANGES............... MY FIRST FANFIC...
81 0 29
Mordrake Scoretti, a powerful mage, is chosen from birth by The Lady of the Lake to fulfil a destiny. In return he asks for the Vasilis crown. After...
405 8 1
When they love him, but he's in love with his bad boy ways. (Want the entire 700 pages of this series in 1 book? Go online to Apple Itunes, Barnes...
946 178 29
Not all poison comes in a bottle. Not all dragons breathe fire. After the death of Queen Ilia, the King of Lyris married again to keep the peace. His...