redamancy | jace herondale

By concupiscentz

[temporarily on hold] (n.) the act of loving the one who loves you; a love returned in full. More

intro
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53

11

3.1K 79 7
By concupiscentz

"Dad?" Jace's voice was weak, staring at the man that was his father.

"Son." He slowly got up, throwing his arms around his son instantly, "Oh, Jace- I can't believe it."

"Son, you're hurt." He noticed the sting, "How did you find me?-"

"You're dead." Jace's eyes were wide with shock, his voice was low and weak, shaking at an extent, "Valentine killed you. Valentine's here-"

"No, Jace. It's me." He looks at me, "I'm Michael Wayland. I'm Jace's father."

"Yeah, I kind of figured that one out." My voice was quiet but I still held guard, suspicion clouding my judgment.

"Look, I know what Jace told you, but I've been here for ten years. Valentine took off and left me-" Michael explained, noticing the look on my face.

"What about Jocelyn Fairchild?" I question.

"He took her with him." Michael told me, "You are?"

I exhale deeply and let my guard down, "Zee Young."

"Zee Young." Michael repeated, his expression changing like he had known me.

Before I could reply, Jace began to fall, Michael catching him, "Jace, no!"

"It's Ravener venom." I held Jace's face with one hand, caressing his cheek, "Damn it- it's affecting him quicker-"

"We have to find your father, not my father-" Jace breathes heavily, looking at me with droopy eyes, "Valentine's-"

"Jace- it's okay," I ignored how he wanted to find Valentine, only worried about him, as I ran a hand through his hair, "It'll be okay-"

"His stele." Michael held him up, "Where is it?"

Michael dug through Jace's pockets, pulling out the card that held the Mortal Cup in it.

I snatch it instantly, shoving it into my pocket, "Back pocket-"

Michael grabs the stele, running it over Jace's Iratze, "The rune is weak-"

"Ravener venom must be spreading." I breathed heavily in panic, "We have to get him help- but, we closed the Portal-"

"Valentine's got a standing Portal." Michael pulled Jace up, "Let's go-"

I nod towards him, letting Jace wrap an arm around me for support, holding him up as best I could.

"Hey, Jace, stay with me." Michael said, "Do you remember our first demon fight? We were way out past the Institute, way up at Kinshasa. You were only eight, but you were so brave. Do you remember what you said?"

Jace's voice came out as a broken whisper as he called the memory, "I'm ready to die."

"And then I said, "Sometimes it's as brave to live as it is to die." Do you remember?" Michael asked him.

"I do." Jace breathes heavily, "It's true. It's you."

"Let's go." Michael leads, as we made our way to the portal.

-

"Luke!" I cried out when we stumbled into the Jade Wolf, "We need help!"

Luke and Simon were already up, Simon shying away front the sunlight that shone in, "Zee, what happened?"

"We thought we found Valentine, but he was already gone when we got there." I exhale deeply, setting down Jace in a booth, Michael next to him.

Luke stares at Jace's father, "Michael Wayland?"

"Valentine took Jocelyn with him, but we found Jace's father." I held Jace's face, "It seems impossible, but- we did."

"What? I thought Valentine killed Jace's father." Simon looks between us, just as confused.

"He tried." Michael exhales, "Hello, Lucian."

"This can't be." Luke shook his head in denial, "I thought I'd never see you again."

"I never thought I'd see anyone again." Michael mutters, looking at Jace's wound.

Luke cleated his throat, "What happened?"

"Demon got him- he can't fight the poison." I began to pace, running a hand through my hair, "His runes are too weak and he needs blood, but we can't go back to the Institute."

Suddenly, an idea popped into my head as I made my way over to Simon, "Simon, there's gotta be some kind of blood at Hotel DuMort- right? I mean- you could call Raphael or something?-"

"Calling won't work. We have to do this in person."
Simon held my arms, "My van is in the garage. You drive, I'll hide under a blanket to stay out of the sun, and- there's underground parking in the hotel."

I nod quickly, Michael looking at us, "He's weaker. You gotta hurry-"

I grab Jace's face, caressing his cheek with my thumb, "Hey- listen to me. I'm coming back."

"Zee-" Jace's voice was weak, grabbing my wrist, his eyes barely open, as if he wanted me to say.

"Jace- I need to go." My voice was steady as I kissed his forehead, "I'm coming back, I promise."

Jace wheezes, not being able to breath, opening his eyes wider, his voice raspy and barely there, "Zee-"

"Hang on, Jace- a little longer." I pull away, running to Simon, "Simon, let's go."

"Come on." Simon grabs my hand, pulling me along to the back doors.

-

I huff deeply as I paced back and forth, stressed that we wouldn't make it back in time, "Why can't we just take what we need and leave?"

"If we were transfusing goat blood, no problem." Simon sighs, "But, I'm sure you know- human blood, that's against the Accords."

I looked at him, "I didn't."

Raphael shows up behind Simon suddenly, "I'm surprised you know that much."

Simon turns around, huffing, "Why do you keep doing that to me?"

"If you worked on controlling your enhanced senses, as you should, you wouldn't be surprised." Raphael remarks, then looks at me, "Zee, you really have to stop barging in here."

"I wouldn't if I didn't have to." I snipped at him, crossing my arms, "We need blood."

"So I've heard. Human blood." Raphael says, "Funny how those rules for Downworlders stop being such a big deal when you need our help."

Raphael pauses, then shook his head and sat down, "No can do."

"Okay, listen." Simon pulled him back up and brought him to the side, "Last night, I bumped into Bernice. She overheard a couple of bridge and tunnel vamps gossiping about Camille."

"You said Camille took a leave of absence, right?" Raphael eyes me, muttering back.

"Yeah, yeah. They didn't care about that." Simon said, "They said she kept around a couple of humans, apparently, she'd feed on them, but never went all the way."

Raphael stares at him, "What are they called?"

"Uh, sub- submissives?" Simon guesses.

"Keep your voice down." Raphael whispered in a loud tone, "They're called subjugates. Horrible things- even Camille got sick of them."

"Okay, so, they're gone." Simon crosses his arms, "But keeping around human beings just to drain at cocktail hour, that's against the Accords. Camille had a taste for the real stuff. I know from experience. She had to have something on ice."

"I'm sorry." Raphael laughs lightly, "If you want to tattle to the Clave about Camille draining humans, fine. I'm the new administration."

"Yeah." Simon shrugs lightly, using the art of blackmail against him, "You could probably get over on them with that line, but you weren't exactly an innocent bystander in my case."

Raphael grits his teeth in slight frustration, "We agreed not to discuss that."

"Did we? Funny, I can't really remember." Simon looks back at me, smirking, "Hey, did you ever tell the Clave what Camille did to me?"

I shrug lightly and place my hands on my hips, playing along, "It might've slipped my mind."

"You can't." Raphael said instantly, looking between us, "I'd be implicated."

"Well, if you want me to keep my mouth shut-" I walked over to them, a smirk painted on my lips, "You're just going to have to hand over what we need."

Raphael paused.

Simon crosses his arms, the smirk remaining on his lips, "Or, she'll let a word or two slip."

"I can't believe you'd do this to me." Raphael looks between us in fake disbelief, "Blackmail."

"Save it." Simon cuts him off, "You're getting off easy."

Raphael glared at us, walking past Simon and over to the keypad that was hidden.

I nudge Simon, "We're good."

Simon nods in approval, "We are."

"What's his blood type?" Raphael looks at us, his blood collection right in front of us.

"Go for type O." Simon told him, then looks at me, "Universal donor."

Raphael grabs two bags, then hands it to me.

"Much appreciated," I took them, "Simon, let's go-"

"Yeah, not so fast." Raphael stops him before he could follow me, "I like the way you handled yourself in this negotiation. Stick around."

"I'm ambassador to the werewolves." Simon came up with an excuse quick, "It's very time-consuming."

"Let me take that burden off of your shoulders." Raphael said, "As of now, you've been recalled. You're advisor to the interim chapter president."

"Don't complain." Raphael speaks before any of us could, "My new advisor has to stay here."

"Wait-" I interject, "No, this-"

Simon stops me, "It's okay- really, just go."

I sigh deeply, taking a step back, "Thank you."

-

Michael Wayland walks through the back doors, looking at me where I sat alone at a booth, "The transfusion helped. He's much better. He's gonna wanna see you."

I gently nod, grabbing my jacket as I got up, starting to head for the doors.

Michael stops me, "But, uh, can I, um, talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure-" I stop, facing him, "What's up?"

"I feel as if I know you." He smiles down at me softly, as it gave me a weird vibe, "You're so much like your mother."

I look between his eyes, "Really?"

"Yes." Michael nods, "You're fearless, and loving, and you got a mind of your own- a little stubborn, perhaps?"

"Jace likes to think so." I held my jacket.

He chuckles, "I see some of your father in you as well. There's always a little bit of both of them."

I stare at him, "How so?"

"His determination." Michael stares into my eyes, "His ambition- recklessness but efficiently."

For a moment, I felt like I was talking to the man himself.

I simply shook my head and looked away.

Michael spoke again, "Would it help if you knew how much he loves you and your mother? He's fierce in his love."

"I couldn't care less." I sigh deeply, "If he loved us, he wouldn't have taken her away from me and tortured her- what type of love is that?"

"I just- I'm going to go see Jace." I turn to leave.

Michael grabs my arm, "I saw and heard a great deal while I was a prisoner. Maybe that's my destiny. To bring your family and mine together."

I stare at him, staying silent.

He nods towards me then lets me go, "Go see Jace."

I slowly step back, then quickly turn, walking behind the doors, Jace laying on the couch, playing with his stele.

"Hey there-" My mood was much better when I saw him, walking over to him, crouching in front of where he laid.

"Hey-" Jace smiles lightly at me, then gestures with his arm, "Yeah, uh fresh blood. These vamps may be on to something."

I laugh quietly, Jace taking off the bandage, tossing it somewhere.

When the laughter faded, I quietly brought up as I sat in the chair in front of him, "I, uh- I just talked to your father."

"Yeah?" He nods for me to go on.

"Do you remember that story you once told me about the boy who trained the falcon with kindness?" I looked up at him, "That night I couldn't sleep and I kept pestering you for telling me the worst story."

A small smile fell onto Jace's lips as he recalled the memory, "You tormented me for weeks."

"That was you, wasn't it?" The smile faded from Jace's lips, "He broke your falcon's neck."

"I ruined it." Jace swallows, looking away, "It wanted to be fed. It wouldn't hunt."

"He just- seems different- now." I shrug gently, "Why would he do that- why would he break your falcon's neck if it would hurt you?"

"We're not mundanes, Zee, remember?" Jace shot me a look, "He had a lesson to teach me. That's how it's done."

Memories flooded my mind.

Whenever I thought about my father, I'd see a blank face. I never knew who he really was.

I assumed it had something to do with my mother, her wanting to erase traces of Valentine in my mind.

But, now that I knew that Valentine was my father, it had me rethinking everything.

I stare at him, my voice quiet, "To love is to destroy and to be loved is to be the one destroyed."

I was taught that too.

But, by Valentine.

Jace stares at me, his voice equally quiet, "Yeah."

"Jace-" I inhale deeply, sitting up, "I need to talk to you about something."

Jace nods and sits up, looking at me, "Tell me."

I clutch the seat I sat on tightly, staring down, "I've always been taught that I shouldn't feel anything for anyone because it's probably the worst thing you can do to yourself or that person."

"And when I was in the other dimension, alone- whenever I was with you- whatever you- that you were, I slipped." I confessed, "And I don't know if what I felt there was real, or if this- is real-"

"Zee-" Jace puts his finger under my chin and tilts my head up to look at him, "You and me- this is real."

I stare into his eyes, not replying.

"And what we feel-" Jace inhales, "Is just as real."

I broke the distance between our faces along with Jace, our lips connecting in sync as I grabbed fist fulls of his hair, as he pulled me into him.

-

"But- why would Valentine tell a prisoner what he was planning to do?" I question, seated with Luke, Michael and Jace at a booth.

"He didn't." Michael inhales sharply, "Well, not directly. But- he gave me a way to learn all about his plans."

Jace looks at him, "How do you mean?"

"He injected me with Downworlder blood." Michael told us, Jace looking down instantly, not liking having to hear this, "The pain was excruciating. Sometimes I was sick for days."

Michael went on, "But it's not often you got a Shadowhunter to experiment on- so, I guess that's why he always stopped short of killing me."

I cross my arms, leaning them against the table, looking at him, "My mother's a Shadowhunter, he had her captive- so why just you?"

"He loved her too much to put her through that." Michael stared into my eyes, and for some reason his eyes looked like they were getting darker.

"Oh, but he didn't love her enough to not put her through all the beating and starvation that lead her into a coma?" I blinked, staring at him accusingly.

I didn't buy his story.

I had a feeling he wasn't who he said he was.

"I don't know what to tell you, Zee." Michael looked away from me, "Through the experiments, little by little I developed enhanced hearing and vision."

Michael then explains to us a memory he has of Valentine speaking to a man.

"And Renwick is?" I looked between everyone.

"It's a deserted smallpox hospital on one of the islands of the East River." Luke told me.

"How unfortunate." I slouched, "We can't track over water."

Michael looked down, "He left me to die in that cage."

Luke sighs, "Valentine never wasted time on compassion."

Jace got up suddenly, making us all look at him, "He won't get any from me when the time comes."

"Before it does, you need a strategy." Michael stares at his son, "Waiting a day could mean the difference between failure and success."

Jace pauses, "Okay, Zee and I will scout Renwick's tonight."

"I will, you won't." I stood up and in front of him in protest and disapproval, "Your runes are still weak- you need the rest."

Jace huffs, "I'll be fine, Zee-"

"Jace," I place my hands on my hips, "You're staying here- I can handle myself."

Jace sighs, giving me a simple nod, "Just- be careful."

I looked at him, "Since when am I ever not careful?"

-

"There was too many- the entire building was filled with them." I cross my arms, looking at Luke, Jace and Michael, "I couldn't even count them."

Luke reasons, "Yeah, but we still gotta get Jocelyn out of there."

Jace's eyebrows furrow, shaking his head, "That would be a suicide mission."

"Doesn't have to be." I shrug simply, "I have the Cup, any demon must be in my command."

"That's what Valentine wants." Michael crosses his arms, "He knows you'll do anything to save Jocelyn, he wants you to take out the Cup and use it."

I scoff, "And if I do?"

"He'll take it." Michael's answer was clear, "And he'll kill us, too."

I almost glared Michael, my teeth gritting, "Well, I'd like to see him try."

-

I hid behind the bushes, holding my kindjals tight in my hands, as Luke, Michael and Jace approached Renwick's.

The plan was for Jace, Michael and Luke to handle whatever demon or whoever came out of Renwick's, while I snuck in and found Jocelyn.

And right with our plan, they was sudden fighting and swords clinking together, as I quickly ran inside.

I ran through the building, bursting through every room, trying to find Jocelyn.

I push through the double doors, seeing Jocelyn floating, green surrounding her, her unconscious.

"Jocelyn!" I ran over to her, putting my kindjals away and try to shake her awake, "Hey-"

Moments later, Jace and Michael came running in, throwing the doors closed and locking them.

I looked back at him after my fail attempts to wake Jocelyn up, "Where's Luke?"

"We left him fighting Blackwell." Jace told me, my eyes widening, "Luke told us to leave him, Zee."

As demons thrashed against the doors, I began running towards them, ready to go after Luke.

"No!" Jace blocks my path as I ran right into his hard chest, as he grabbed my arms and held me back, "What are you doing- get back!"

"Jace, let go of me!" I tried to fight out of his grip, "I'm going after Luke!"

Jace shook his head and tightened his grip, "No, Zee, there is not enough time!"

"We have to secure the room." Michael stepped back from the door, "We don't even know if Luke is still-"

"Alive?" My eyes were so wide that they could pop right out of their sockets, "Jace, no- I'm going after him!"

Jace pulled me back, "Zee, stop!"

"I can't wake Jocelyn up!" I shoved Jace back, "Luke will die for nothing- I need to go help him-"

"Luke wants you and Jocelyn out of here, that's all he cares about." Michael shot at me, "Pull yourself together."

I scoff in disbelief, beginning to make my way over to him, "Like hell I will-"

"Zee, if you don't help us, no one survives!" Jace pulls me back in front of me forcefully, holding me there, "Do you understand?"

I began shaking my head, looking at the doors, "Jace-"

"Zee, you're the glue that's holding us together!" Jace raises his voice at me, "Look at me!"

"We will get her home- we will find a way to wake her up-" Jace makes me look at him, "Do you believe me?"

Michael backs up, "Get ready."

-

"Zee, now!" Jace tells me, signaling for me to get the Cup out and come over to them, "We can't wait any longer."

I nod towards him, walking over to them, holding a makeshift Cup that was really a mug I had casted a glamour on, as only I knew it was fake.

If I wasn't right about Michael, then I would be going to hell for this one.

"Demons, I command you!" I held it up, looking around, "Find Valentine!"

The banging and screeching from the demons continued, as they threw themselves at the walls and doors.

I repeat myself, "Demons, find Valentine!"

"Let me try." Michael held his hands out after my second failed attempt, his eyes filled with hunger and eagerness.

I handed it over, Michael staring at us both, a small smile forming on his lips.

Jace was confused on why he didn't do anything, "Come on."

Michael chuckles, using his blade to cut into his shapeshifting rune, Jace's eyes widening, "No- no."

Jace's eyes filled with hatred when he saw Michael's true form, "Valentine."

"Demons, attack my enemies!" Valentine held up the Cup, the demons snarling, "I command you!"

"All right, enough!" I shouted, having held the real Mortal Cup in my hand, behind my back the entire time, as the screeching stopped right away.

Valentine looked back at me, sharing the same shocked expression Jace wore as I revealed the Cup, "You know, if you're going to cast a glamour, play the part- or someone's gonna figure it out."

I looked at Jace, after Valentine shatters the mug, "Should we let the demons take care of this? I'm kinda having fun being the all powerful being."

"No- send them away." Jace shook his head, his voice filled with hatred and betrayal, "He's mine."

"Demons, be gone!" I ordered, as slowly, the demons moving away and disappearing from our sight.

Jace's voice was quiet and dangerous, "You pretended to be my father."

Valentine shook his head, "I wasn't pretending, Jace."

"You murdered him." Jace put his seraph blade to Valentine's neck, "You're a liar!"

"I am your father- I always have been." Valentine put his hands up in surrender, "The face that you saw as Michael Wayland was mine."

"Then and now- it was a powerful glamour." Valentine confessed, "I want you to know me as I am- to know the truth about me and you."

"Don't listen to a word he says." I stared at Valentine, "He's my father- we know that for a fact."

"Yes, that's true." Valentine confirmed, "That's a fact."

"I am your father, Zee." Valentine's words made shock run through my veins, "And Jace's."

I shook my head, "No-"

"Think about it." Valentine taunts the both of us, "Why are the two of you so drawn together?"

"No-" Jace's voice broke as he didn't want to believe it either, "You're lying!"

"You are meant to be." Valentine went on, shutting off Jace, "Blood calls to blood, no?"

Jace was shaking, not being able to do anything.

Valentine opened a portal on the thin board, "A part of my dear family together at last."

"A lost mother, found-" Valentine was smirking, "A brother and sister, finally united."

Jace noticed the tears screaming down my cheeks, letting out a yell as he put his blade to Valentine's neck once more.

"You won't kill me." Valentine tormented, "I said that you were weak, and I meant it."

"But, don't worry- your sister is too." Valentine took advantage of Jace's state, "What's wrong, Jace? Can't kill the man who raised you, hm?"

I pulled my kindjals out, "I know I can-"

"Go ahead, Zee." Valentine was quick to turn Jace, and hold him there, his own blade at Jace's neck, "Two for one."

Jace stared at me, tears streaming down his cheeks as well, making this even worse for me.

"We can't even fight back, huh?" Valentine stares at me as my hands shook, "No?"

"Come with me, son, you know that you love me." Valentine said to Jace, "Your sister is welcome to join us- and bring your mother along, we can find a way to get her moving again- and convince Clary and Margaret to join us."

Valentine lets go of Jace, giving us both one last look before entering the portal and disappearing with it.

I stepped back when Jace looked at me, the both of us not knowing what to do or say.

Luke then runs in, rushing over to Jocelyn, "Jocelyn- I'm taking you home."

-

"I gave Lydia the Cup." My voice was quiet as I spoke to Alec, after we had gotten back, "Hodge is taking her to lock it up until she goes back to Idris."

Alec exhales deeply, "Okay."

"Okay?" I repeated, "That's it, Alec?"

Alec began walking away, "I don't want to get into it."

"Stop- please- I do wanna get into it." I grabbed his arm, "I know we're not on the best terms-"

"Not on the best terms?" Alec repeats my words in disbelief, "You betrayed me, you lied to me, you attacked me when I was doing what we should've been doing together."

"I didn't betray you, Alec!" Tears burned in my eyes, "When you're on duty you get lost in it- so, no- I didn't betray you, I saved you from yourself!"

A tear fell from my eye, "If you'd have taken Meliorn to be tortured, you would have that on your conscience for the rest of your life."

"Really?" Alec scoffs, "Everything you do is for a higher principle."

My face twists in hurt, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Alec's tone was straight, "You took the Cup, and you nearly handed it over to Valentine."

"But, I didn't!" I burst, "I knew that he wasn't who he said he was- I'm not as reckless as you say I am, Alec!"

"You're right- it's only gotten worse since Clary's shown up." Alec's words were like knives in my heart, "Now, I'm going to go tell my sister that she still has a future."

Alec walks away from me, leaving me speechless.

Jace stops a few feet away from me, having seen the full thing after he and Alec argued as well.

It was like whatever Jace and I had left with Alec was destroyed and it was all my fault.

Whatever Jace and I had was destroyed as well.

Jace suddenly breaks the silence, "How did you know that he was Valentine?"

"I just knew." My voice was quiet, fresh tears watering my eyes as I couldn't make eye contact with him.

Jace stared at the ground as well, not being able to look at me either, "You should've told me."

"You wouldn't have believed me." I couldn't continue this conversation any longer, as I turned and walked away, covering my mouth to hold back sobs.

authors note:

well, I'm upset

i always hated this part-

but hey, zee stay sus

but AGH NOW ITS GONNA BE WEIRD FOR THEM

vote and comment loadssss

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 40 2
'How is it that the best part of me is always you?' 'Well, parabatai, it's just like you said. We're two parts of one soul.' Note: I do not own any o...
17.2K 558 18
When his sister has fallen ill Alec seeks help from the high warlock of Brooklyn. He would do anything to save Isabelle so he makes a deal. But is th...
52.1K 1.3K 26
𝐂𝐡𝐥𝐨𝐞 𝐄𝐦𝐦𝐚 𝐅𝐫𝐚𝐲 𝐚𝐥𝐰𝐚𝐲𝐬 𝐟𝐞𝐥𝐭 𝐮𝐧𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐝 𝐛𝐲 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐉𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐲𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫 �...
241K 5.1K 14
"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage." ― Lao Tzu Shadowhunters (Season 1)