(ON HOLD) The Forgotten Andro...

由 midnightXcross

"Perhaps the time has come for us to consider that androids are a new form of intelligent life. One thing's f... 更多

Prologue: Detroit 2038
Prologue: Detroit 2596
Chapter 1: City of Slums
Chapter 2: Thief
Chapter 3: Lord Ra9
Chapter 4: An Unexpected Friend
Chapter 5: Arena
Chapter 6: Remnants of Time
Chapter 7: Awakened
Chapter 8: Out of Place and Time
Chapter 9: Kara and Alice
Chapter 10: Memories like Stars
Chapter 11: New Detroit
Chapter 12: The Rebels
Chapter 13: The Plan
Chapter 14: Initiation

Chapter 15: Connor's New Mission

671 40 42
由 midnightXcross

I knew I was awake, yet I still did not open my eyes. My head was pounding, and I simply stared at the backs of my eyelids. I could tell from the warmth on my face, and the light flooding into my dark world that I must have been outside, or in a place with sunlight. I heard birds around me, and the rustling of branches and leaves in the breeze.

I was lying on something hard, but there was a pillow underneath my head. Even on the rough surface I was lying on, the soft place around my head brought me comfort.

My breaths still rasped, and I realized that I must have been sick. Perhaps I caught it after staying in the cold prison cell for an entire night. Or maybe it was when I was in that place underneath Ra9's tower, that world where I discovered Connor for the first time. I could not tell.

My thoughts cut off abruptly as I heard a voice right beside me... or perhaps above me.

"I cannot do that..." It was Connor's voice, and to my surprise, he sounded very serious. It seemed he was in mid-coversation with someone.

"Connor, you need to really think about this..." Kara replied, her voice sounding from around my feet. "Is this really what you want?"

Connor was quiet after that for a long moment, and I heard him exhale.

"I know what you want me to say..." He replied, "You want me to let her go. You want me to help the revolution; to help you, and Lucy, and everyone else..." He paused, seemingly waiting for a response, before continuing. "I am not a deviant. I had never anticipated that I could reawaken in this time. But even if I did, that does not mean I am any different from the machine I used to be."

I continued to listen, and I could imagine Kara shaking her head.

"You were deviant from the moment you opened your eyes Connor," I heard a slight smile in her voice, "No one is here to give you missions anymore. You are free."

"I can never be free..." He replied solemnly, "I am still a machine. And so are you, and every other android here. They are all... just machines."

This conversation went back and forth, and I listened quietly, drifting in the place between sleep and waking life. After a while, I was unsure if I was simply dreaming the whole thing up.

"You care about [F/N], don't you?" Kara finally asked, and I felt my breath catch slightly. It seemed neither android noticed.

"She is the one who helped me come back to life. I thought it was not possible for an android to come back, but she worked against all odds..." Connor said softly, "I owe her my life, and I cannot forget that."

"How long are you going to stay with her?" Kara continued, "How long are you going to protect her?"

"As long as I need to."

It was silent again for a long moment, and I wondered if I had fallen into sleep. Then suddenly, I felt a shift under my head, and moments later, my head was on the same stone surface as the rest of my body. I heard Connor rise to his feet, and it sounded as if Kara did the same.

"Connor, you can't get close to her."

A pain coursed through my heart at Kara's words. Why would she say something like that? I tried to erased the groggy feeling from my mind, and I opened my eyes slightly.

I was outside, in the garden, as I had suspected. Connor stood nearby, facing Kara, hands in the pockets of his servant uniform. Kara stood facing him, her hands clasped in front of her, as if pleading.

"Please Connor, hear me out..." She sighed, moving to clutch her hands by her sides. Then she began to pace away, towards the trees in the garden. "I have spent countless years with humans. It's been painful... so painful." She turned back to Connor, a sad look on her face. "Our lifespans are vastly different. I've seen humans become weak, or injured. Humans have a strong will, stronger than anyone else, but their bodies are fragile. Us androids can replace parts when they get damaged, or even transfer our consciousness to a whole other body if need be." Kara seemed to reach out to Connor, then drew her hand back, reconsidering. "But humans only have one life... and one body. If they get badly injured, or sick, it is almost impossible for them to recover from it."

"Are you telling me that [F/N] is going to die?"

"No..." Kara replied, "I am just warning you Connor. I am telling you not to grow attached to her. You can stay by her side, and protect her. But you have to be prepared for what may happen. This world is dangerous... and things can change in the blink of an eye."

They remained still for a long time after that. It seemed as if they too had become a part of the garden. I was considering trying to move, when Connor finally spoke.

"I am not a deviant... but still... I am an android who needs a mission," Connor rose his head and moved to look at me. For a moment, I thought he noticed that I was awake. I tried to make my breaths as soft and rhythmic as possible, letting my eyes flutter closed. "I have made protecting her my new mission, and no matter what happens, I will fulfill that mission."

My heart seemed to skip a beat. I hoped he would not notice the sudden blush that rose to my face. Connor wanted to... protect me?

"You will regret it Connor..." Kara said, barely above a whisper.

"I will never regret it, if it means keeping her safe."

I remained silent for a long time. Eventually, I heard soft footsteps, and I assumed that Kara was leaving. As I waited, I felt someone move beside me, and a gentle touch on my forehead. I allowed my eyes to flutter open, and I took in Connor's face above me.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, as I carefully sat up.

"I am fine, just a little dizzy," I held my head, and groggily gazed around the garden, from where I was sitting on the stone bench. I wondered if Connor had noticed that I had been listening. I felt a little bit guilty for eavesdropping, but I felt as if I knew a little more about Connor now.

I made a move to stand up, and Connor helped me, wrapping his strong arms around my shoulders. I began to move slowly forward, taking in the atmosphere of the garden around me. Even with the remnants of old buildings, and the skeletons of broken vehicles, it was still a beautiful place. Nature had made this world it's home now, with birds taking residence inside broken columns, and spiders casting webs between broken windows. Grass poked between metal bars, and vines crawled up every surface.

"I never knew a place like this could exist..." I murmured, tilting my head to look at a bird that was an electric blue colour. The bird made a melodic sound, cawing towards the sunlight.

"You've never seen a garden?" Connor asked.

"I sometimes saw trees and grass in the more appealing areas of the slums, but it was a rare sight. I knew it existed from the books I have read, but I have never been in a place with so much of it."

Connor reached his hand towards me, and smiled, the kind look seeming to reach his eyes.

"I can show you more, if you want. This is the first time in many years, that I have seen a garden too."

Gratefully, I took Connor's hand, and we moved together through the green world. Birds flew around us, and I took in their vibrant colours. I reached up, trying to touch one, and laughing as it flitted past me. I turned to Connor, wondering what his response would be. To my surprise, he simply gazed at me. I felt my cheeks flush, and glanced away, continuing to move forward.

To my surprise, even the trees and flowers varied in colour. We soon came across a tree, with particularly beautiful pink flowers. The colour of the flowers seemed to stir a memory in Connor, and he suddenly had a conflicted look.

"What's wrong?" I asked, but he simply shook his head.

"It's nothing..." He regained his composure, and forced the topic away, clearly not comfortable with answering it.

Eventually, we reached the edge of the garden, where the buildings rose above us, creating a barricade. I was surprised to see how the sun had set, turning the green world of the gardens slightly gold.

"We should go back inside," Connor said softly, also noticing the setting sun.

"Are the others okay with that?" I asked, suddenly feeling self conscious. "If I am sick, I don't want to make them sick." Connor smiled in response.

"I will make sure they allow you to stay. Don't worry," He reached towards me, and seemingly without thinking, brushed my hair off my face. I was drawn in by his deep eyes once more, and it seemed he was in no hurry to look away.

"You..." He said softly, "You don't have to be afraid. No matter what happens, I promise to keep you safe."

"Why?" I asked, and then blushed. I had blurted out the question without thinking. Connor did not seem to mind, and continued to stroke my face.

"Because... that is my mission."

Suddenly, the moment was interrupted by a rustling in the bushes. Connor immediately turned, guarding me with his back. He remained poised and still, watching the bushes cautiously. I watched from behind him, my heart suddenly thudding loudly in my chest.

A moment later, to my complete surprise, a dog covered in dirt darted out of the bushes, barking desperately at Connor. I blinked in shock, as the small puppy barked desperately, seemingly trying to be ferocious even as cute as he was. After a moment of silence, I burst out laughing. The situation was almost comical. Connor glanced at me, then back at the dog, his LED flashing amber.

"It's... a dog..." He murmured, then added, "A saint-bernard..."

The barks turned to a slight whimper as Connor stooped to pick up the small puppy, turning it towards me. I hesitated, before petting it's head.

"He's young..." I stated the obvious, "Where's his mother?"

Connor cradled the dog in his arms, firmly holding him, even as he squirmed. "I don't know... he must have crawled in here, between the barricades in the buildings."

"We can't leave him here," I replied, "It gets cold at night. We have to take him with us."

Connor nodded, seemingly fixated on the little puppy. I smiled, moving to walk beside him.

"Do you like dogs Connor?" I patted the puppy's head absently. The fur was soft. Connor replied, without taking his eyes off the small dog.

"Yes... I suppose I do."

继续阅读

You'll Also Like

29.6K 564 36
˚ · . "Welcome to FPE Oneshots!, feel free to make requests." ╰┈➤ ✎ 𝙍𝙚𝙦𝙪𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙘𝙡𝙤𝙨...
989K 1.5K 37
There will probably be some fluff but there will mostly be smut stories. And I'm very sorry my miss spelling This is my first ever book so please let...
77.9K 2K 30
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
267K 7.8K 133
"𝑻𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆'𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝒊𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒊𝒓 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖'𝒍𝒍 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒅𝒖𝒎𝒃 𝒃𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆."