Japanese Urban Legends

Por Akiiteru

Love the creepy side of Japan? On the surface, all that people hear about Japan is their rich culture, and ho... Más

Slit Mouthed Woman ||•Kuchisake-Onna•||
Long Neck ||•Rokurokubi•||
Gashadokuro
Teke-Teke ||•Tek-Tek•||
Hanako Of The Toilet ||•Toire No Hanako-San•||
Pale Man ||•Te-no-me•||
Snake Woman ||•Nure Onna•||
Yama-Uba
Kappa
Red Cloak ||•Manto•||
Cow Head ||•Gozu•||
Yotsuya Kaidan ||•Oiwa•||
Yuki-Onna ||•The Snow Woman•||
Japanese Demons
White String
The Red Crayon
Tomino
Kashima Reiko
Himuro Mansion ||•Himikyru Mansion•||
The Two Mouthed Woman ||•Futakuchi-Onna•||
The Long Haired Woman ||•Harionago•||
Shirime
Kokkuri-San
Omote ||•Noh Mask•||
Demon Cat ||•Bake-Neko•||
Hitori Kakurenbo ||•One Man Hide & Seek•||
Hikiko-San
Red Room
Kashima-Reiko
Kayako
Sadako ||•Sadako Yamamura•||
Hachishaku-Sama ||•Eight Feet Tall•||
Okiku Doll
Kunekune
Purple Mirror
Tripping Bathroom
School at Night
Fishing Boat
Human Dog ||•Jinmenken•||
Bald Man ||•Kanbari-Nyudo•||
Dream School
Face Powder ||•Oshiroibaba•||
The Blue Robe/Hood ||•Aozukin•||
Icicle Woman
Betobeto-San
Red QR Code
Mary-San

No Face

1.4K 37 24
Por Akiiteru

This Japanese Urban Legend is called "No Face" and is about Nopperabou, a creature from Japanese Folklore.

Though the No Face is able to appear to others like a normal person, this is just an illusion. The Nopperabou really lacks eyes, a nose or a mouth. Instead of normal human features, Nopperabou have only smooth skin. People who encounter Nopperabou usually do not immediately realize that they are talking to something that is otherworldly, as the creatures are able to create the illusion that they have a normal human face.

A Nopperabou will wait for the right moment before causing their features to disappear, scaring the person they are speaking with. People usually run into Nopperabou at night in lonely rural settings, although they can appear anywhere as long as the area is deserted. The Nopperabou's primary purpose is to scare humans, but beyond that they do not seem to have any sort of agenda.

One famous Nopperabou story is Lafcadio Hearn's Mujina. The story is short and deftly describes an encounter with a Nopperabou, but it is also the source of much confusion. In the story, Hearn refers to the creatures as mujina, which is actually a different type of creature altogether (a sort of badger). This mistake has caused a lot of Western readers to mix up the names for nopperabou and mujina, and even today you will run across authors and scolars that are using the wrong name. Regardless, the story itself is a very typical tale of nopperabou mischief.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

42.2K 648 20
♪───O(≧∇≦)O────♪ 〜𝘚𝘩𝘰𝘳𝘵: 🌼, 𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘪𝘶𝘮: ☁️, 𝘓𝘰𝘯𝘨 : 🌸 ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ 〜A one shot book of H...
101 14 12
Every chapter is a standalone tale about different horrible (or friendly?) beings and they are inspired by my nightmares. These stories haunt me when...
66.4K 2K 12
「 " 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙚𝙩 𝙢𝙮 𝙨𝙤𝙪𝙡 𝙖𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩! "」 Ah. What a peculiar boy. - This story depicts an unhealthy relationship between the reader and a fic...
14.3K 336 18
Even the softest faces can bring about the ugliest bloodshed. After learning your Pokémon is a killer at heart, life becomes uneasy. The past become...