His Revenge (Power Play #1)

By Neon_chocolates

Ethan Lachlan, wealthy businessman and CEO of a fortune 500 company had planned his revenge down to the very... More

His Revenge
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
AUTHOR'S NOTE

Chapter 26

599K 17.9K 3.1K
By Neon_chocolates

For the third time that evening, Erin felt shock course through her like a punch in the gut, stealing her breath in one forceful slam, threatening to topple over her already fragile hold on reality. Indeed, she wouldn’t be surprised if she suddenly woke up to find that the past few hours had been nothing but a product of her already stressed out imagination. She could hear Ethan saying something, but she couldn’t make out anything through the frantic swirl of thoughts as her brain struggled to piece together a story that made more sense than the ridiculous notion that Nicky was somehow involved in all this…

She shook her head, and took a step back, her legs coming up against the chair and she sank down to it, the tightness in her chest a reminder that she had forgotten to breathe. She opened her mouth on a gasp, the renewed flow of oxygen helped to clear her muddled thoughts enough to hear Lillian ordering them from the house and threatening to call the cops.

Her gaze shot to Ethan, as he stood so still he seemed to be made of stone, the only sign of animation the ice cold fury that swirled in his eyes. She’d seen him like this once before… the first time they’d met and she had managed to piss him off after less than ten minutes alone with him. She remembered being the recipient of that look, the barely concealed rage that could crush its prey in a heartbeat. That day, she’d unwittingly made a dangerous enemy and Erin had no doubt that whatever was going through his mind at the moment boded ill for Lillian.

As though recognizing the formidable presence of a predator, Lillian shivered, fear replacing the self-satisfied smile of a minute earlier. To her credit, she didn’t cower or run away, though her eyes darted about the room in search of something with which to defend herself.

For long seconds, the only sound in the room was the loud ticking of the clock.

“There are two things you need to know about me, Ms. Putney,” Ethan finally spoke, his voice low yet dangerous. “One. I am not the kind of man you wish to have as an opponent because I fight dirty. And two…”

 He moved, closing the gap between them and leaning down so he could look Lillian right in the eyes. She let out a small squeak of terror and shrank back at whatever she read in his eyes.

“I will make you wish you had never crossed me and mine, and by the time I am through with you, a broken heart will be the least of your worries."

He straightened, dismissing her with a look and held out his hand to Erin. Bemused, she placed her hand in his and allowed him to pull her up and usher her out the front door, leaving two terrified women in their wake.

The minute he shut the front door, Ethan dropped her hand, and without a word, stalked towards their parked car, his every movement controlled like a beast in a cage waiting to be unleashed. Despite the warm midday sun, Erin felt a shiver travel down her spine as she watched him walk away, suddenly hesitant about being in the same car with him in this mood. His opinion of her had been less than glowing before…after all, he still believed she’d manipulated Nicky into breaking up with him and now…to discover that she was also responsible for breaking up yet another relationship and getting caught in the middle of an insane plot for revenge, and not even to add the extra offence of believing she had been aware that Nicky still loved him..

Her head throbbed badly, the rays of the sun seeming to pierce through her irises and she shut her eyes against the glare. Nicky didn’t love Ethan…she knew that for certain, but for her to actually go around telling people  otherwise made Erin out to be some sort of…… man stealing monster and that, she could not forgive. She’d covered for Nicky, endured Ethan’s scorn and all this time, the ungrateful little bitch was….

“Are you coming or do I go on without you?”

Erin’s eyes snapped open and she found herself gazing into a pair of blue eyes. Ethan regarded her impassively, his face giving away no clue to his thoughts as he stood at the foot of the steps.

Erin took a deep breath and began walking down to steps to join him. “Ethan, I need to tell you something.”

He raised an eyebrow and glanced behind her at the door. “It can wait Erin. Let’s go.”

He turned and walked off without a second glance. Feeling her temper rise at his dismissal, Erin glared at his back, but followed nonetheless. By the time she reached the car, he already had the engine idling, not sparing her a look as she slid in, barely managing to shut the door before he put the car in motion.

As they pulled onto the main road, Erin tried again, turning slightly so she could face him. He stared straight ahead, his white knuckled grip on the wheel saying volumes of his mood and she fell silent, deciding to wait until he’d calmed down a bit. When that would happen, she had no idea.

Instead she shut her eyes again and leaned her head back against the head rest, wincing as the drums inside her skull began beating a relentless rhythm of pain. She’d never been much of a drinker, but right now Erin wished for some alcohol to take the edge off her worries. Right now, she couldn’t say what troubled her the most… Ethan’s anger or Nicky’s lies, each one intertwining with the other to produce the mammoth of all complications.

“Where is Nicky?”

Erin turned to face him, her mouth tightening as she wondered at his motive for asking. “Why?”

His lips twisted in a grim smile. “Still playing the protector Sweetcheeks? I’d have thought you’d be throwing your dear sweet cousin under the bus by now. Or wasn’t that what you wanted to tell me a few minutes ago?”

“I…” Erin began, and stopped. Much as she hated to admit, Ethan was right. She’d been about to tell him the truth about Nicky….still, hearing him say it rankled her. She turned her gaze out the window, watching the scenery as the car ate up the miles, trying to gather her thoughts.

Telling Ethan about Nicky’s treachery would do her no favours. Knowing him, the arrogant sod would see it as another example of her trying to come between them and she wouldn’t give him the satisfaction adding more misery to what had fast become the most miserable week of her life.

The car slowed at the toll bridge and Erin turned to find Ethan studying her with an intensity that raised goosebumps on her skin. Resisting the urge to squirm under that gaze, she stared back at him until the blast of car horns from irritated drivers behind them forced him to break contact and resume driving.

“What happened five years ago, Erin?” Ethan asked his tone abrupt. “And I want the truth.”

Caught off guard by the unexpected question, Erin struggled with her thoughts, suppressing the selfish part of her that wanted to blurt out everything. She was tired of carrying Nicky’s secrets, tired of having to endure the censure in Ethan’s eyes each time he looked at her. Still, regardless of Nicky’s betrayal, she couldn’t…wouldn’t give up the secrets that were not hers to tell.

“Even if I wanted to tell you, I don’t think it’s my place to do so.” She sighed, careful to avoid looking at Ethan. “I think it’s high time you and Nicky talked, if she chooses to tell you the truth or not, is up to you.”

“And what if I want you to tell me the truth?”

Erin raised her eyebrows in mock surprise. “Would you believe me? Come on Ethan, we both know you don’t trust me and you think I’m a selfish, manipulative bitch who would do anything to get what I want…”

“You’re not selfish.” Ethan broke in, while she stared at him in open-mouthed shock. “I may have thought so in the beginning, but…and I’m saying this by way of an apology… you’re not. If anything you have this rather stupid but adorable tendency to put your family needs before your own and they take it for granted. Did I say that was stupid?”

For several seconds, Erin could only stare at him in disbelief. Ethan had actually paid her a compliment…though of course, in his usual manner, he’d also managed to insult her in the same sentence but still…he’d apologized…ish. Sweet lord in heaven!

“Thank you.” She replied softly, wincing at the sharp throb of her headache. She gave him Nicky’s address then asked, “So, what are we going to do about Lillian?”

His features hardened in renewed tension. “I’ll take care of it.”

She nodded, keeping her eyes fixed on the road. “I’m sorry you got dragged into this mess, Ethan. Believe me, I had no idea Luke was seeing anyone else when we started dating, in fact, I made a point in asking him and I remember he told me he’d ended a previous relationship three months before meeting me. So help me, I don’t know what or who to believe.”

“She was lying.” Ethan replied, and when she glanced at him askance, he elaborated. “Luke didn’t lie to you. If he had a secret girlfriend stashed somewhere, I would have known about it.”

He would? Erin leaned closer, eyes narrowed in suspicion. “Did you know Luke?”

Ethan shrugged, his usual unreadable expression in place. “In a manner of speaking.”

“In a manner of…..what is that even supposed to mean? Is that some sneaky underhanded way of saying you had him checked out?”

He didn’t reply, but the corners of his mouth twitched. “In a manner of speaking. Honestly darling, I’m surprised you didn’t run a background check on him. Or is that a privilege you reserve for your cousin’s dates?”

“I didn’t think it was important.” Erin mumbled, chagrined he’d found out. “Look, I don’t want to talk about it anymore ok?”

He raised his eyebrows in surprise but said nothing else, letting the rest of the ride pass in silence.

 The truth was, she’d always felt guilty about prying in people’s lives ever since the night Ethan had accused her of being too controlling. Still, the thought that Ethan had taken an unusual interest in her life was just this side of unsettling…and she made a mental note to arrange for some tech guys to sweep her apartment for bugs….she wouldn’t put it past Ethan to be sneaky.

Ethan covertly studied the woman sitting so close, every breath he took, his nostrils filled with her intoxicating essence. Christ, it muddled his senses to the extent he kept forgetting he was supposed to be furious….murderously so. And heaven help him, once he got his senses back, he was going to decide how best to teach Lillian Putney a lesson she would be hard pressed to forget in a lifetime.

But first, he would deal with Nicola Gosling, would willingly wring every single morsel of truth from her manipulative little mouth and put an end to this madness once and for all. He stole another glance at Erin, noting for the first time how vulnerable she looked, sitting there with her hands tightly clasped, the unfocused look in her eyes hinting at a headache, shoulders tense, and he seriously wanted to hit someone… Luke, Nicky, Lillian, it didn’t matter as long as he could somehow protect the one woman who had suddenly become a victim of a pair of vicious lying sluts.

Something had definitely happened five years ago, something only Nicky and Erin knew about and he needed answers…and since Erin was not spilling, that left the other cousin.

He pulled the car to a stop in the parking lot adjoining Nicky’s apartment and killed the engine. Beside him, he felt Erin sigh and run a hand through her hair, if possible looking even tenser than before. He placed a hand on her arm, the contact sending waves of mild shock racing through both bodies.

Her eyes raced up to meet his, pupils dilating in sudden awareness of his touch. “What?” She whispered, tongue darting out to moisten her lips, and he nearly groaned aloud at the action. Damn it Ethan, he admonished himself silently, now was not the time to imagine doing shocking things to that mouth….or having those luscious lips doing things to him…

He grimaced in disgust and abruptly broke the contact, uttering a curse under his breath. Damn traitorous body.

When he spoke, his voice came out harsher than he’d intended.

“When we leave here, you and I are going to have a long talk so don’t even think this is over yet.” Erin’s eyes flashed in rebellion…or was it disappointment and she yanked open the door and stalked away without a word.

“Shit!” Ethan swore louder this time and hurried after her, catching up in a few long strides as she marched on without sparing him another glance. Together, they entered the building and she led the way to the elevators.

 He cursed again as they ascended the building, he’d been hoping to offer another apology in the privacy of the elevator ride but instead, contented himself with glaring at the buttons, ignoring the couple sharing the ride with them. Once the doors slid open on their floor, Erin marched along the wide corridor and Ethan found his eyes drawn to the unconsciously seductive sway of her hips, that he slowed his pace, just to enjoy the stunning view. At the door, she stopped and swung around to face him so suddenly that he almost crashed into her, one arm whipped out to grab her waist while he steadied them from toppling to the ground.

“Ooomph!” She gasped, the breath knocked out of her as she found herself pressed against his hard length. Instinctively, her hand wrapped around his neck and Ethan damned near forgot to breathe, as his mind spun out of control.

He let Erin go, forcing his mind back to the present. “You were going to say something?” He reminded her brusquely.

Ethan could see her struggling to get control back. At least, he wasn’t the only one affected with this madness, he thought wryly.

“Why were you walking so close?” Erin asked, in a stage whisper, shooting him a murderous look through narrowed lids. She held up a hand before he could answer. “Wait…don’t tell me. Ok, look Ethan,” she took a deep breath, “Nicky’s still in a bad way cause of the breakup with Ryan, so there’s a very good chance she won’t behave rationally if you barge in with guns blazing.”

“No.” Ethan folded his arms across his chest and gave her a stony stare.

“I haven’t even finished!” Erin protested, her voice rising a notch.

“Don’t need you to finish, I know you’re going to suggest I wait out in this damned hallway while you go in and try to coddle cousin dearest. The answer’s no.”

“And why the hell not?” Arms planted on her hips, she aimed a freezing glare at him. Ethan smirked, infuriating her even more.

“I’m a firm believer in shock therapy Sweetcheeks. Nicky will be less inclined to lie when she’s taken unawares. Now, shall we?” He raised an eyebrow and she scowled and muttered an insult under her breath but turned to open the door, letting them into a dim foyer. Motioning for him to precede her into the living room, she shut the door, turning on the lights.

Ethan glanced around, taking in the lilac wallpaper, complimented by pristine white and blue antique furnishings. Erin moved about, opening blinds, revealing a stunning view of the river.

“Nicky’s probably asleep.” Erin said, motioning for him to take a seat. He eyed a fragile looking chaise, doubtful it would hold his weight and shook his head, earning him another frown. “I’ll go wake her.”

Ethan nodded and crossed to the floor length windows, his professional instincts intrigued. Erin left the room, but in the silence, he could hear her calling Nicky, the murmur of soft female voices too indistinct to hear them clearly, but a few minutes later, Erin came back into the room, with her cousin trailing behind her, looking haggard and worn in pajamas and red-rimmed eyes.

“Why can’t we talk in the bedroom Erin,” Nicky was complaining as she let Erin pull her to the sofa where she promptly curled up, clutching a throw pillow to her chest. “I’m tired and I want to go to back to sleep.”

She still hadn’t seen him yet, so Ethan took the time to study her. She’d lost a lot of weight since he’d last set eyes on her, her cheeks were hollow, with eyes far too large for her face, giving her a waif-like appearance, that he found rather unattractive. Jesus! The woman looked little like the elegant woman he’d met a few weeks ago…though he supposed a broken engagement would do that to any sane person. His eyes strayed to Erin, standing by the sofa, a stark contrast with those generous curves and full lips that filled his head with ideas he’d rather not focus on at the moment.

“…..to talk, it’s really important.” Erin was saying, her gaze lifting from her cousin to his. Ethan took a step closer to the sofa and cleared his throat.

“Hello Nicola,” He spoke softly, watching as she started then bolted to her feet, eyes widening as she registered his presence. “You look like hell.”

“Ethan!” Erin exclaimed, aiming a scowl at him, eyes flashing a warning to behave. He merely shrugged off the warning, his gaze fixed on Nicky who’d gone white with shock.

“What are you doing here?” Nicky rasped, taking a step back as though afraid he would jump her. She shot an accusing look at Erin, quickly recovering from shock to anger. “Why did you bring him here Erin?”

“Can’t I pay my ex a friendly visit?” Ethan forced a light tone, shoving both hands into his pants pockets. “To offer my condolences for your loss, so to speak.” He could feel Erin’s gaze burning daggers through him, but ignored her again, moving closer to Nicky, until he could grasp one hand, bringing it to his lips. Beneath his lips, her skin was soft but wispy, like fragile paper.

Nicky gasped, her breath speeding up at the touch. “Don’t do that.” She whispered hoarsely but made no move to free her hand. Ethan sighed and dropped her hand, feeling his patience wearing thin.

“Sit down Nicola.” He ordered softly, turning away from her in Erin’s direction. “You may sit too, if you like, because I imagine Nicky has a lot of explaining to do, this might take a while.”

Erin’s chin lifted in defiance, though he caught a hint of apprehension lurking there. “Don’t order us around Ethan, and you’d better behave or I won’t think twice about throwing your ass out the door.”

Ethan chuckled in wry amusement. “I’m tempted to misbehave just to see how you intend to accomplish that remarkable feat.” His amusement faded as quickly as it came and he pinned Nicky with a warning glare.

“Lillian Putney, who is she?” Nicky paled at the abrupt question and her already wide eyes expanded even more, mouth opening and closing like a fish in shock. She looked to Erin, but at her closed expression, she turned back to Ethan, miraculously schooling her features to hide her discomfiture.

“Is she someone I should know?” Nicky asked, trying to appear unconcerned. she trained her deep green eyes at him, wide pools of feigned innocence that would have fooled anyone who hadn’t witnessed the shock of a few moments back. “The name doesn’t ring a bell, though I suppose she may be someone I’ve met before, I do meet a lot of people after all. Is she a client of yours?”

The woman was a bloody accomplished liar. Ethan forced a smile and decided to play along for now.

“Perhaps,” He replied, his tone non-committal. “Erin and I just spent a lovely afternoon having a chat with her, wonderful woman…really…remarkable. Not someone I would be likely to forget mind you.” With every word, Nicky seemed to grow whiter until her skin almost matched the shade of the sofa. “I learned quite a lot actually, but that’s another matter altogether….but you see, surprising enough, she mentioned the two of where well acquainted, she even shared a couple of interesting anecdotes about your….conversations.”

Nicky had a death grip on the pillow, her posture stiff with tension and fear. “Ethan I….”

“I’m not finished Sweetheart.” Ethan cut in, with another chuckle. “Lillian was happy to tell us how close you were, to the point of exchanging secrets and information that were none of her business. Information that she felt belonged to the public and even had the good grace to share said information in the tabloids, with pictures too. So, forgive me, but I will ask one more time.”

 Ethan hardened his voice, all trace of humor gone. He walked up to the sofa and leaned over Nicky, his gaze icy blue daggers. “Do you know who the fuck Lillian Putney is?”

“Yes!” Nicky gasped, her eyes filling with tears, but Ethan felt no pity. “I’m so sorry…I’m sorry…I swear I didn’t know she was going to….. she came to me and we became friends and I told her about….I swear Ethan, please….when the article came out I was so angry and I told her to stop… but she said Erin had done something horrible and she needed to teach her a lesson….please, please…” She turned to Erin, who’d gone as pale as her. “She said you took her boyfriend and she was pregnant and…that you were sleeping with Ethan… she showed me the pictures and I felt bad cause I couldn’t believe you could do such a thing….how could you Erin?”

“You didn’t want him.” Ethan heard Erin whisper over Nicky’s hysterics. Her eyes held unimaginable pain and he longed to hold her close and comfort her, but somehow, he knew she would reject him if he did. Not with Nicky’s accusations hanging over her head like a damned pistol.

Tears flowed freely down Nicky’s cheeks now as she glared at her cousin. “It still didn’t give you the right to screw my boyfriend behind my back.”

“I didn’t mean for it to happen ok?” Erin jumped to her feet, gesturing wildly. “I was trying to protect you from his crazy vendetta and it just happened. I know it’s not an excuse but shit! You should have come to me and told me how you felt. Instead you go pouring everything to some….deranged bitch? For fuck’s sake Nicky, we were friends and closer than sisters.”

“I asked you and you said there was nothing going on.” Nicky retorted “You lied to my face and you expected me to trust you?”

“There was nothing going on then. We hated each other and we fought all the time. And when it happened, believe me Nicky, I felt horrible. But you told me you didn’t love him so I felt it would be ok…oh god! What am I even saying? It was not ok….not even then…not now….I’m sorry.” Erin pressed her fists against her eyes and heaved a deep breath, before continuing in a much calmer tone.

 “Nicky, you know I didn’t have anything to do with your decision to break up with Ethan, but for so long, I’ve kept your secret, even when it threatened to destroy my family, I kept my mouth shut and endured the insults and accusations from Ethan. You brought this on all of us…if you’d just explained… I’m begging you now, please tell him the truth.”

“You can’t be serious!” Nicky exclaimed in alarm, darting an apprehensive glance at Ethan who stood stock still, watching the drama unfold. “I’m not going to tell him.”

“Like hell you won’t, you stupid idiot.” Ethan finally cut in coldly. “You will tell me the truth or so help me Nicky Gosling, I will break your scrawny neck.”

“Oh god!” Nicky squeaked, recoiling from the venom in his words.

Erin pushed past him and headed for the door. “I…I need some air, I need to go outside, I can’t stay here.” She was out the door before he could react. With a muffled curse and an order to Nicky to plant her ass on the seat and not move an inch, Ethan went after her.

He caught up with her in the corridor, slipping an arm around her waist, pulling her against his body.

“Stay with me, Erin,” he whispered, his breath fanning the tendrils of hair curled around her ear, his other hand cupped the base of her neck, wanting to offer comfort,  but she shook her head, avoiding his eyes. “Okay then, let me come with you now, sod Nicky, I don’t need to hear…”

“No.” Erin cut in, stiffening in his arms, her hands shoved at his chest for freedom. “You need to hear her out, for both our sakes. I’ll be fine Ethan, I just need to be alone for a while.”

He sighed, and loosened his grip, but only so he could cup her face in both hands and capturing her mouth with his own, brushing his mouth against hers until with a soft moan, she opened for him, her hands wrapping around him neck, her tongue tangling with his in a dance that had them both breathing hard, straining for more. Ethan’s hands left her face to pull her closer, until every inch of her soft body was plastered against his. With a groan of pure need, he deepened the kiss, his body clamouring for more, till everything faded and all he could feel and touch was her, her sweet mouth and tempting body.

Erin broke the kiss, and stepped back, her eyes filled with pain and regret. “Good bye Ethan Laclan.”

He watched her walk away, his heart doing weird things in his chest and with another loud curse, he turned and walked back to the apartment. He would give her a few days to sort herself out, while he handled this mess, but after that, the game would change.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.4K 51 69
Looking for a book to be hooked? A book to keep you up all night? Well you have come to the right place. The books mentioned here ranges from off...
107K 2.4K 27
Cheating With The Billionaire | Previously Titled HER NEW DADDY . . . The man that I'm falling for is a man that I shouldn't want. The odds a...
6.6M 237K 61
#3 on Featured list! "I need you to be my wife." he said lifting her chin up, forcing her to look at him. "But, we don't love each other." protes...
1.7M 44.3K 128
She was his motivation. Madison Connor, the only woman he had ever loved, the woman he had hurt, the woman he had left. Billionaire Damien Daniels ha...