Lady Earthquake

By WriterPratt

A child's deception leads to a life of adventure...and the unraveling of a heavenly mystery. All little An-X... More

Lady Earthquake Chapter 1
Lady Earthquake Chapter 2
Lady Earthquake Chapter 3
Lady Earthquake Chapter 4
Lady Earthquake Chapter 5
Lady Earthquake Chapter 6
Lady Earthquake Chapter 7
Lady Earthquake Chapter 8
Lady Earthquake Chapter 9
Lady Earthquake Chapter 10
Lady Earthquake Chapter 11
Lady Earthquake Chapter 12
Lady Earthquake Chapter 13
Lady Earthquake Chapter 14
Lady Earthquake Chapter 15
Lady Earthquake Chapter 16
Lady Earthquake Chapter 17
Lady Earthquake Chapter 18
Lady Earthquake Chapter19
Lady Earthquake Chapter 20
Lady Earthquake Chapter 21
Lady Earthquake Chapter 22
Lady Earthquake Chapter 23
Lady Earthquake Chapter 24
Lady Earthquake Chapter 26
Lady Earthquake Chapter 27
Lady Earthquake Chapter 28
Lady Earthquake Chapter 29
Lady Earthquake Chapter 30
Lady Earthquake Chapter 31
Lady Earthquake Chapter 32
Lady Earthquake Chapter 33
Lady Earthquake Chapter 34
Lady Earthquake Chapter 35
Lady Earthquake Chapter 36
Lady Earthquake Chapter 37
Lady Earthquake Chapter 38
Lady Earthquake Chapter 39
Lady Earthquake Chapter 40
Lady Earthquake Chapter 41
Lady Earthquake Chapter 42
Lady Earthquake Chapter 43
Lady Earthquake Chapter 44
Lady Earthquake Chapter 45
Lady Earthquake Chapter 46
Lady Earthquake Chapter 47
Lady Earthquake Chapter 48
Lady Earthquake Chapter 49
Lady Earthquake Chapter 50
Lady Earthquake Chapter 51
Lady Earthquake Chapter 52
Lady Earthquake Chapter 53
Lady Earthquake Chapter 54
Lady Earthquake Chapter 55
Lady Earthquake Chapter 56
Lady Earthquake Chapter 57
Epilogue

Lady Earthquake Chapter 25

791 58 8
By WriterPratt

Author's note: For some reason, this did not upload...nor did it show as 'draft' until today.  I will post another chapter tonight as an apology!

To the Fourth Prince's surprise, Meng appeared, flanked by two royal guardsmen. Sun-Sin realized, furthermore, that he recognized the man as one of the Third Prince's boon companions from the nights they caroused under his brother's guidance. He did not remember those nights very clearly except for the final one. That revelry had given him a distaste for such excesses that stayed with him, even four years later.

The guards pushed Meng down to his knees. He looked up at the king on his throne and the assembled court and held up his hands in supplication to his own prince. "Pray tell me how I am at fault that I might propitiate your anger, your highness."

T'ien Luo-Bi stepped forward, his dark silk robe brushing over the patterned tiles. "Acknowledge at once that you knew of your despicable colleague Kang's plan to assassinate the noble Fourth Prince! Acknowledge that you failed to protect the Royal House against this outrage!"

Meng put his head between his hands on the floor for a moment before sitting upright. "I knew nothing of Kang's plans. Only that he wished to revenge himself upon the one who is called Shu Ban-Li."

"Me?"

Every eye in the room turned toward him. Color mounting into his face, Ban-Li looked at his Senior Brother. Had he anticipated this line of attack? Ban-Li could only trust that he had.

Meng continued. "He felt he had been offered an insupportable insult when we first met this gentleman. I could not persuade him an off-hand comment had not been a sincere insult."

The Third Prince scoffed at the explanation. "It never occurred to such as you," he said bitingly, "to take your colleague's bitterness toward this upright young man as a sign his mind was broken?"

"He had cause. The young man is arrogant beyond his years. He made Kang lose face by his attitude. Kang was a hot-headed, impulsive fellow. If he took the notion to teach Mister Shu a lesson, no consideration would prevent him from hunting him down."

"Even when in the company of one whose person is inviolate?"

"He told me that he had information that his prey would be returning via the Gaolin lakeside. He said nothing to me about the Fourth Prince being there. I thought he wanted only to beat the boy at swordplay to take his pride down. I am certain that if Kang had known that his highness was a part of this group, he never would have done it."

"Those things of which you are 'certain' are of no interest to this court."

"Yes, your highness."

T'ien Luo-Bi faced the throne again. "Your majesty, I ask that this man be taken to the prison and there put to the question to be sure he has told all he knows."

"Granted."

Meng bowed once more. "Thank you for your mercy in sparing my life, Great King."

Lady Liu approached the throne on her proper axis. Dipping her knees, she said, "I with to offer my thanks to the Fourth Prince's companions for their service to him. May I suggest that a special commendation be inserted in the records of today's proceedings?"

"I agree," the crown prince said. "We all hope for men of such quality about us."

Even Ban-Li, unused to courtly ways, could feel the insult to the Third Prince inserted into this comment. That impassive face, however, showed nothing. "I agree also," T'ien Luo-Bi said, nodding toward Ban-Li.

"And I," the Second Prince said, lifting his hand negligently. "Furthermore, I will invite my brothers for drinks later. You too, Young Shu." It was not court-etiquette at all, nor was the smile Ban-Li had to conceal when he met Chen-Di's ironical eyes.

Prime Minister Chimu stepped forward again. "Let all necessary steps be taken to identify anyone who may have known about these contemptible actions in advance. The associates of the assassins will be questioned and their homes searched. Anyone found there will be questioned and suspicious persons retained. The scribes will record that Master Shu Ban-Li has done well in protecting the Fourth Prince and a reward of ten taels of silver shall be paid to him."

A trumpet-voiced servant announced the close of the assembly. The Second Prince clapped his taller brother on the shoulder and said quickly, "Come on and drink with us."

T'ien Luo-Bi tried to make excuses but the rotund figure of Chen-Di had deceptively strong hands. His clamp on his brother's arm never varied. "Do not be so foolishly proud. If you skulk in your chambers, people will think you had something to do with this attempt. It would be bad for all of us to have anyone thinking we are not a united family, eh? Could be bad for public feeling, the last thing we want right now."

"Very well. Besides, I want to get to know this...remarkable young man."

"As do I indeed."

Coming down the steps from the throne after his father had left, the crown prince echoed that, adding to the young man, "I saw you at my wedding."

"Yes, your highness. Many felicitations."

"Thank you. As my younger brother has seen fit to invite us, we will go to his hall to get drunk. He always has the best wine anyway."

"My admirable older brother wants to get drunk?" Chen-Di fluttered his hand before his face like the fan of a fainting woman. "This is such a shock I can hardly believe what my ears tell me."

"It has been a long few days but our plans are in place. I can relax for a while."

"You the family-man?"

"My most recent wife is receiving my other wives to accept offerings to the temple for our coming child. I don't need to be part of that conclave when this one is bound to be more entertaining."

"You are the most fortunate among us," Third Prince said. "Of that there can be no doubt."

Many men, Ban-Li noticed, smiled to see the four brothers walk out of the Great Hall together. He slipped along behind them, challenged by their height and long strides. Sun-Sin noticed and fell back, handing back his sword. "Keep up, please. There are many twists and turns in the palace; if you got lost, we might never find you."

"Your highness, that money...." Ban-Li whispered. "It is not right they should give it to me."

"What did you say?" Chen-Di fell back as well. "Forgive me; as a tax administrator, any mention of money sets my ears pricking like a fox's. What money?"

"He means the reward granted him. Why not take it, Adjutant Shu? You could do with it, I think."

"Yes...it is not that. What about Uncle Mo? He was there too."

"What is an 'Uncle Mo'?" Third Prince asked dryly. All of them had stopped as though by agreement at the entrance to the Second Prince's private quarters inside the palace walls. It was fully dark now and the hanging lanterns marked with 'Hall of Joyous Prospects' gave little light.

"He is the sergeant who rode with Shu Ban-Li and me today." Sun-Sin answered. "He helped to hold off the assailants."

"Ah, good man. But as it was in some sense my fault that he was put to so much trouble, I shall happily give this venerable soldier a sum equal to that granted to Young Master Shu."

Ban-Li could only bow to the Third Prince. "Many thanks, your highness. Uncle Mo is not well-off."

"I heard of a man named Mo once. As I recall, he was a sergeant as well."

"He told me it is a very common name, your highness. He himself knew several men of the same rank with the same name."

A slap in the darkness was accompanied by a rude word from Chen-Di. "I hoped the season for biting flies would be over by now. Get inside before we are devoured."

Whatever palace coordination had informed the Second Prince's household that all his brothers would be attending this spontaneous festivity made the military system look like it was run by children playing with invisible ink made from milk. There was no fuss, no fretfulness. The majordomo led the men to a pleasant room lined with rare and valuable screens, bidding them welcome with a bow toward his master. Snacks and wine were already on the table while a brazier under the table defeated the slight chill in the air noticeable after sundown. A translucent screen over the open entrance to the room gave the impression that they were drinking at the foot of a mountain, while a stream played lazily among white rocks.

Ban-Li sat behind his own prince and gazed around in increasing worry. Every inch of the room was elegant, from the prized rugs over the highly polished floorboards to the scholar's treasures on the desk to the art on the walls. So, indeed, were the wine cups, the bowls and plates, and even the chopsticks. In so much beauty, where could a person who did not drink pour away their cups of wine?

Leaning forward a little, he tugged on Sun-Sin's sleeve. "You have much to say to your brothers, your highness. Allow me to leave first."

"No, no!" Chen-Di said. "I shall not hear of it. This evening is in your honor, after all. Come, drink with me."

"Yes, stay, Junior Brother."

"Junior Brother?" the crown prince said, taking his first cup away from his lips. "Is that what you call him?"

"We have known each other since we were boys," Sun-Sin said. "He has been my Junior Brother and I his Senior since we were...what? Ten and fourteen?"

"As you say." Ban-Li had an idea. "Please drink, your highnesses. But I will not, if you do not mind. I am present as the Fourth Prince's bodyguard. To drink would be to neglect my sworn duty."

"Come now...." The Second Prince poured out a cup of clear wine that smelled of ripe berries. "One can hardly hurt you."

"Save your wine, my brother," Sun-Sin said, taking the cup in his own hand. "There is nothing short of an order from the king himself that will sway my Junior Brother from what he sees as his duty."

"Do you have the recipe to bake more like him?" the crown prince asked. "Every one of us need incorruptible men around us."

"There are no other men like Shu Ban-Li." Sun-Sin patted his friend on the knee. "He is one of a kind."

As the wine went around, Ban-Li watched with covert glances of awe how much wine four royal princes could put away without there being much effect at all on their cultured speech, upright bearing, or characters. The crown prince discussed some fine point of law with his full-brother, the significance of which went right over Ban-Li's head even while sober. Then they grew interested in the game of rhymes that Sun-Sin and the Third Prince had begun to play and joined in with clever additions that made even the dour prince smile. Ban-Li laughed behind his hand.

"Your adjutant has a sense of humor, I see," T'ien Luo-Bi said. "Does he ever talk in company even when not drinking?"

"In such company, what can I say that is worth hearing, your highness?"

The Third Prince leaned on a padded armrest and gazed at the young man. Ban-Li realized that every time he had looked up, he had found those cold eyes upon him, studying him. "You could tell us how you took down my man Kang."

"Come now, no controversial subjects while the wine goes around!" Chen-Di said cheerfully. "All though, to be frank, I am curious about that."

"As am I also," said Sheng-Zi, stroking his mustache. "This Kang was a soldier of some service, eh, Younger Brother?"

"He was. He had been in my troop for at least ten years. He was a duelist as well, having killed his man in numerous trials."

All of them were looking at Shu Ban-Li now, curious and intent. The crown prince, once a military leader himself, ran his eyes over the boy's thin arms and legs and shook his head. "How could you fight a man stronger than yourself?"

"I have been well-trained, your highness. My master taught me that skill and study can overcome mere brawn."

"Your master? What is his name?"

Sun-Sin put his cup down on the table. "The Flame of Zhao. Undoubtedly assumed to impress his students as all the world knows the real Flame of Zhao perished a hundred years ago in the Skull Devil Rebellion."

"Look at Shu Ban-Li! He did not know that," Chen-Di said, pointing.

"No, your highness. I did not know. Who was he?"

"A hero, perhaps. Or a dog who swindled people. It depends on who you ask. Some say he escaped with love of his life, the daughter of his greatest rival. Others claim he died when his hideaway was burned.... Oh! I crave your forgiveness, Younger Brother." Chen-Di patted his mouth firmly to punish himself for speaking out of turn. "My unruly tongue ran away with me."

"It is all right," The Third Prince said, pouring out for his brother. "I had actually forgotten about my poor bride for the moment. But I had wanted to ask Sun-Sin if he has heard anything more about that case."

"I have not been at home for several days. I am not aware if Young Lord Zang has sent any new dispatches. I do not despair yet of finding at least Mrs. Li alive."

Ban-Li realized what they were talking about and had to turn his head away to look out past the translucent silk screen to hide his expression. "Are you all right?" the crown prince asked with the consideration he was famous for, seeing tears in those bright eyes.

"Yes, thank you, your highness. The incense is stinging my eyes slightly."

"Ah, mine too!" Chen-Di said. "Let us move this delightful gathering to my tea pavilion. It is still warm enough to sit outside if we keep drinking."

"What about the flies?" Sun-Sin asked with a wink.

"We will drink so much more that they will wake up with headaches! Come, come. Shu Ban-Li, also my Junior Brother, bring the wine as you are the only one sober enough not to spill it on the way!"

In a few minutes, they had settled down in the new location, Sun-Sin falling rather than sitting. T'ien Luo-Bi swayed, something like a smile curving his lips. He sat down next to the Fourth Prince, the sleeve of his robe falling across Ban-Li's knees. He looked down at the young man. "You do not look dangerous. Perhaps that makes you more so."

"I know," Crown Prince said, snapping his fingers after two or three attempts. "Tomorrow we will set up a test for Junior Brother Shu. He will fight the best guardsman we have. We will see his skill for ourselves."

Sun-Sin turned his head, the white in his hair shining. "Without drawing steel," he said. "I will agree under those conditions. I do not want anyone cutting bits off him."

"I will be present as well," T'ien Luo-Bi said. He reached out a long finger and flicked the scabbard on the sword across Shu Ban-Li's lap, making the loose guard ring. "How odd that the hilt is all wrapped up like that. I have never seen anything like it."

"It is to improve the grip." With seeming carelessness, Ban-Li moved the sword from his left side to his right, out of the Third Prince's reach.

The wine went around and around, replenished by velvet-shod servants who came and went like spirits. Chen-Di sang several sad songs after which Third Brother recited a military poem of renown. He forgot the words half-way through, smiled sleepily as he begged forgiveness, and was, surprisingly, the first one to put his head on the table.

Crown Prince said, "No head for wine, no head for wine...." as he toppled over backwards as inexorably as a falling tower.

Ban-Li jumped behind him and caught his full weight in his arms as he fell over. No use looking to Chen-Di or Sun-Sin for help. The older one sat blinking at the lamplight, smiling to himself as insects flew around the deadly light. Sun-Sin had gotten up, unsteadily, and gone to stare into the depths of a pool, looking for carp. An occasional call of 'Here, fish. Here, fish," came from him.

"I will tomorrow write a poem of my own," Ban-Li said in disgust. "I will call it 'Four Drunken Princes'. I am sure it will enjoy a ready sale."

With a chuckle, Chen-Di clapped his hands. When the servants came again, he pointed at Ban-Li, slowly being flattened by the Crown Prince's inert form. "Take him home. No, not the little one. The big one. Take him home. Take the long one too."

"Is it not time for you to rest as well, your highness?" his majordomo murmured.

"No, it is time for me to sing again. Yes, good people, yes. I will favor you with another selection. You are too kind...too kind."

As the strong-backed servants lifted the Third Prince to carry him home, his eyes opened and he looked directly at Ban-Li. "You...." He hiccupped and Ban-Li winced, expecting to be showered in vomit. But instead the deep deliberate voice said, "You have very long eyelashes for a boy."

"Oh, he is so drunk he makes everyone else sound drunk...." one of the men muttered as he draped the Third Prince's arm around his neck.

As Chen-Di started to warble a tune about a girl with a backside like a peach, Ban-Li sighed and wondered how much longer this interminable evening would wear on. Then Sun-Sin came back, sat down, and said, "What do you think, Second Brother? Did he know about this attack or not?"

Chen-Di stopped singing. Unlike the wine-thickened drawling of five minutes ago, he spoke with clarity and firmness. "It is still impossible to say. On balance, however, I believe you sprang your trap too early. He is as wily as a fox, our brother. When you sent me your report by the magistrate's courier, I thought perhaps we had him. At least to the point where doubts might creep into our father's mind. But Luo-Bi must have already seen Meng and been prepared for us."

"Is Meng still in the prison?"

"No. He escaped an hour ago. Those words 'he is so drunk he makes everyone else sound drunk' was the code. Be careful, Sun-Sin. If he realizes that you know you are his enemy, whatever plan he has in mind will be accelerated for your early destruction."

Ban-Li looked between the two men. "What?"

They smiled at him. "There's a most bitter-tasting medication you can take before wine that delays the effects," Sun-Sin said. "Though they are intensified later. Do not call me early tomorrow, all right? Not if you want to live past noon."

"No, what are you talking about? You mean...do you mean the Third Prince sent those men to kill you? You...not me?"

"I think they would have killed you both." Chen-Di leaned toward his brother. "How good is your Junior Brother's swordplay? Was all that true?"

"Wait until tomorrow. You will see...wonders."

"Are you really going to send me to fight the best guardsman? How good is he?"

"Worried?"

"Yes." Ban-Li sighed. "No. Still...."

The older men laughed. Chen-Di said, "Let me see that sword, will you, Junior Brother?"

Though he liked Chen-Di far more than he did Luo-Bi, Ban-Li felt the same reluctance to let anyone handle the Thunder Sword but himself and Sun-Sin. All the same, he could not very well refuse. "May I draw it for you?"

"No, thank you. Someone might see you do it and that is still illegal in any royal presence. Sun-Sin, you do it."

Oh, it is the handsome one again! How nice. But who's that one? He is quite handsome too!"

Ban-Li looked over his shoulder. Had a maid come in? But no maid would dare to say such things aloud, not even if she were as bold as Magistrate Goyuan's laundry maid. "Did someone say something?"

Chen-Di turned the blade this way and that, his wrist strong and straight, letting the light play on the blade. "Remarkable. This darkening of nothing but the center runnel is a technique lost to time. Only the oldest weapons have it. Where did you get this?"

Ban-Li said, "A pawnshop."

"A pawnshop? Where?"

"In Bashan. Or just outside it, I suppose you could say."

"What did you pay for it?"

"Not very much. Not anything. My patroness bought it for me."

Is anyone here ready for a fight?

Ban-Li glanced at Sun-Sin. He had not said anything.

"I would very much like to take the wrapping off the hilt," Chen-Di said. "But you have a bout tomorrow and you will want to use this as it is, seeing you are used to it."

"Yes, your highness. Very much. And we are going North and I will need it there."

"Oh, that reminds me. You will not, after all, be rejoining your troop on the Northeast Border, my dear brother. They are coming to meet you west of here near Huidan to be ready to move to the first ford near Yiang's capital. I think that war is now unavoidable, though we are trying our best to hold it off for as long as we possibly can. Prepare your men well, Younger Brother, Junior Brother Shu. You may soon find yourselves at the forefront of the storm."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322 67 7
A spirit hunter forced to drop his swords and instead pick up silks and tea cups. Bending himself over backwards to satisfy the hard to please spirit...
346K 34.6K 135
*FEATURED* Ao is a wrathful, ravenous former god trapped in a human body and sentenced to roam the Inner Empire for all eternity. Eternity is rather...
52 1 7
In ancient China, when the Hun overthrow the dynasty, A decree forbid any martial arts. Hidden in the heart of the deepest mountains, A school teac...
3.1K 63 34
Married, settled, and earning comfortably, A'Fei and Xie Yun have a good life in the 48 Strongholds. While both are content, A'Fei and Xi Yun feel th...