Ethereal [On Hold]

By bloom-

In an attempt to leave behind her over protective mother and the noisy city life, Mia Godfrey moves to a smal... More

Plot Summary
Chapter One
Chapter Three

Chapter Two

225 17 5
By bloom-

Chapter Two

 It had been a whole week since she had moved into the quiet town of Belmont Bay. The whole duration had been spent with long worried calls from her mother and lengthy shifts at the Grill. In the span of seven days her body had nearly grown accustomed to the cool weather. She had picked up a few parkas at one of the local shops as well as a few flannels and boots. It was almost a sad moment for her when she had to clean out her closet, packing up all of her designer dresses and sandals.

As well as growing comfortable with her surroundings, she had (surprisingly) made good company in some of the towns residents. Aside from Xiao her new found best friend, she had met Ben the owner of the small diner in the heart of town. Ben was a young lad in his early thirties. He had grown up in Belmont Bay and after his parents passing he inherited the small joint. Mia had also met Susan, an old widow who spent her mornings at the Grill, knitting.

Susan filled Mia's early shifts with exciting stories about her life as a young adult. Susan rambled on and on about her days as a radical feminist, burning bras in streets, peaceful protests that would eventually get violent. I was a looker too, a beautiful blue eyed blonde that broke men's hearts left and right, she'd always tell Mia. But Mia would only laugh and shake her head, she honestly didn't believe she would make it through the gruesome morning shifts without the older woman's imagination.

Though Mia was enjoying her new life, and the people in it, there was one person she did not understand, Roman. She had learned his name from Xiao unfortunately that's all she had learned about him, no one seemed to want to talk about the phantom. The whole situation reminded her of Harry Potter actually, "He who must not be named". Mia dropped it after a few days though, she had deemed any further investigation useless on the blue eyed stranger.

        "Hello, earth to Mia!" Xiao giggled from the small stool next to her.

The two girls, along with Ben, were currently at his diner muchin' on the leftover pumpkin pie that hadn't been purchased.

        Mia flinched, bringing herself back to reality, "I-I'm sorry. I did it again." she chuckled.

        "Yup. What's up with the spacing? You got some disease?" Ben asked, placing his fourth piece of pie on his plate.

        "No, but you will get one for eating so much sweets. You may of heard of it, diabetes." she laughed sliding the plate of pie away from the male.

        "I'm thirty two, fit as fuck, and may I add handsome as-"

        "Gags," Xiao spoke through fake gagging gasps.

        Mia laughed loudly before taking a sip of her coco, "So Mia, what's it like living next door to a serial killer?" Ben smirked leaning against the counter.

        "What are you going on about now Ben?" Mia sighed with a smile.

        "Ya know you aren't the only one living on the outskirt's of Belmont Bay."

        "Ben, knock it off." Xiao grumbled.

Mia was suddenly intrigued. She had stupidly wandered around the woods one day and had stumbled upon the large home not too far from her's. She wasn't aware of another home, her Realtor hadn't mentioned one. She had remained curious though as to who occupied the lofty looking home.

        "Who-uh lives there?" she asked cautiously.

         "Roman Black, I'm surprised no one's warned you away from him yet."

        "Warned me away?" Mia chuckled questionably.

        "Black's not a good man, he's been linked to several murders in town. Sheriff just hasn't got enough evidence to lock the bastard away. He's trouble Mia, I mean it."

        "Ben, leave the poor girl alone and stop scaring her." Xiao scolded.

        Mia yawned, stretching out her tight limbs. Glancing over at the clock on the wall she noticed it was nearing ten o' clock,"I should get home guys, it's getting late."

        "C'mon don't be a Debby downer!" Xiao whined with a mouth full.

        "Yeah, says the girl with the afternoon shift. My ass has to be up at seven, goodnight." Mia smiled kissing Xiao's forehead and waving goodbye to Ben.

Mia climbed into her truck and began her journey home. Snow was falling lightly as she drove down the slick pavement. She enjoyed the long commute from the city to her home, though at night the forest did give her the creeps. Mia had been preoccupied when it happened, though she swears it had only taken a second to change the radio dial. Before she could blink an eye her truck was hit causing it to veer of the road. Her head hit the steering wheel, not harshly but enough to leave a small scrape. Her vision was blurry as she looked around, her car was only a few feet from the awaiting forest.

Her heart beat rapidly as she opened the car door to see what she had hit. Mia get back in the car now! She mentally cursed herself as she stumbled out of her old Ford. Snow crunched under her Doc Marten's as she made her way to the front of the car, she nearly fainted at the size of the dent. There was no way that she had hit a deer and she prayed it wasn't a bear. The rational part of Mia was calculating the cost's of getting it fixed instead of worrying about her well being. She knew it would be at least one month of her paycheck. 

        "Ugh,"

Mia froze in her place, she was petrified to face the noise. Taking a deep breath Mia slowly turned around. Her gaze was met with a man. He laid about ten feet away from her car. The size of the man made her question how she hadn't seen him in the process of getting out of her car. The man sat clutching his side, his head hung low but she could hear small mumbles falling from his lips.

        "Holy shit," Mia groaned, "Uh, excuse me. Um mister, are you alright?" Mia asked, wanting to punch herself in the face because the man obviously wasn't alright. The man groaned again causing her to squeak and take a step back, "Oh thank God. I thought-I thought I killed you. I should probably call an ambulance."

        "No."

        Mia glanced up from her phone, "What do you mean no, I just hit you with my truck. A very large truck may I add and you don't want me to call for help?"        

Mia's mouth fell agape as she watched the large man stand up as if nothing had happened, as if he had not just been hit by a car! It wasn't until he walked into the brightness from her headlights that she could see his face.

        "Roman?" she whispered taking another step back.

        "No ambulance." he stated turning around slowly, "See? No damage done."

Mia was shocked, there was not one bruise or speck of blood on the his bare chest. His clothes though were torn a bit from his run in with the road.

        Mia sighed, "At least let me give you a ride home seeing as you don't want to go to a hospital. My car may have a massive dent in it but it still runs."

        "No." his voice ruff, "I can find my way home."

        "I insist. I'd feel horrible if I left you out here, especially when there's a storm coming."

Roman didn't speak again, only made his way towards her car, climbing in and slamming the door shut. Okay then, Mia rolled her eyes before turning around and making her way back. It took a few tries to get it started, but in the span of five minutes they were up and moving. The car ride was full of silence, all of Mia's attempts to start a conversation were shot down immediatly.

                                                                                authors note

Okay so know I said there would be more Roman but this is the best I could do but I promise next chapter there will be so much more

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 97.3K 66
Narrowly escaping an attack by wolves, Jaylin Maxwell is driven towards the alluring Quentin Bronx. Together, they unleash the beast inside Jaylin's...