Petra, the Great - (Book One)

By NopeNope90

Petra of the Shazastar is a thief on the run from an unforgettable past. But, like all thieves, her luck cann... More

"Hang him, swaggering rascal!"
"This above all: to thine own self be true".
"Tempt not a desperate man".
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks".
"That it should come to this!"
"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so".
"Rich gifts wax poor when givers prove unkind".
"So wise so young, they say, do never live long".
"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't."
"Can one desire too much of a good thing?"
"Do you think I am easier to be played on than a pipe?"
"But love is blind, and lovers cannot see".
"You have witchcraft in your lips,"
"I was adored once too,"
"We know what we are but not what we may be."
"We are such stuff as dreams are made on..."
"Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow..."
"Of all base passions, fear is the most accursed".
"The miserable have no other medicine but only hope".
"We have heard the chimes at midnight".
"In my mind's eye".
"I will speak daggers to her, but use none".
"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions".
"I like not fair terms and a villain's mind".
"Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble."
"There's daggers in men's smiles".
"If you prick us, do we not bleed?"
"A little more than kin, and less than kind".
"All the world 's a stage, and all the men and women merely players."
"True is it that we have seen better days".
"A man can die but once".
"The robbed that smiles steals something from the thief".
A/N

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

2.7K 220 46
By NopeNope90

Chapter Four

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

The Tempest Act I, Scene II

                THE COUNCIL DISSEMBLES SHORTLY AFTER the queen's announcement and she too leaves, complaining of boredom and ennui. I try to escape but Giovanni jabs a finger at me and says, "You. Stay."

I sit back in my seat and try not laugh at his distress, but he reminds me of a raging bull, the way he paces and stops and huffs and paces some more.

                He tries so hard to stay in control, so hard not to explode. I watch and mentally count down the impeding destruction.

                Three ...

Two ...

One ...

                He stops in front of me. "You," he hisses. "You did this!"

                And he says I'm not a fortune- teller.

                "I am flattered Milord de Luca that you have such high expectations of me, but I must disappoint you once again - this is your aunt's doing, not mine."

                He ignores me and continues pacing. I do feel a tinge of guilt and I mentally reprimand myself for feeling any sympathy towards de Luca. He certainly does not feel any towards me.

                "So I guess we're partners in crime, eh?"

                He looks at me blankly as if he does not realize who I am and what I am doing in the council chamber.

                "I mean now that our fates are intertwined, it won't do you any good to come after me, right?"

                He sinks into a seat across from me. "Stop talking. Just stop."

                "Look Milord. I can help. I certainly don't want to be burnt up at the stake and you obviously want to be king. So let us put our differences aside for a minute."

"You don't know - I don't want to be -" He takes a breath. "What can you do to help? Your skills are not needed here. Thieving, lying, deceiving how will that help me?"

"Ha! The very skills used in kingdom politics, no? A do-gooder such as you milord, needs someone as accomplished as I in such ways."

Slowly, brutally, he says, "I wouldn't stoop so low."

My face burns. Any sympathy towards him evaporates and is replaced by anger - red and hot. I lean over the table and face him, inches from his face.

"Perhaps this is why your aunt does not want you to inherit the crown... you would lead this country into a depression so great everyone will kill themselves."

He glares back at me and this time, instead of indifference, something ignites in his eyes, like a match and I am taken aback, for it can only be anger and nothing more, surely.

                "I will do everything within my power to ensure that I do not get executed." My voice is low and I hope threatening. "And if that means I have to find the murderers and spies that you and your men can't then so be it."

        He continues to smolder and I try to ignore the heavy beating of my heart. I am angry that is why it is beating so. Who wouldn't be infuriated when dealing with this oaf? "I only suggested we work together as we have the same goal, but I can very well do it on my own."

                His eyes flicker to my mouth and I'm astounded by how long his eyelashes are. For a moment we are still, our breaths heavy and angry.

                "Fine," he whispers. I am surprised by his soft tone, but relieved as I lean back into my seat. I try to ignore the sudden slight fluttering in my stomach.

                "After... after we solve this, there is one thing I want in return." I avoid his gaze just so that he does not see the confusion in mine.

                 "More than your life?" his tone is scornful.

                I ignore it. "I want to leave Florentia, without you hunting me down. I do not like to remain in one place for too long."

                I cannot look at him and so my gaze settles on his hands. I watch his fingers rap the edge of the table.

                "You will leave and never return, for if you do I will not hesitate to give you your just due."

                I know it is hard bargain for de Luca to make; a man as disciplined and authoritative as he, so by the book, it must go against every fiber of his being to let a criminal go. He must indeed be desperate.

                I nod and get up still avoiding his eyes. Little does he know but I am doing him and his people a favor, for although I enjoy Florentia, if I remain too long, then a horror darker than his spies and murderers will descend upon this kingdom.

                And I cannot be responsible for that destruction.

                Not again.

***

                DINNER IN the Florentian court is a grand affair. I am dressed in a purple gown of a similar style and cut as the one I wore to lunch. Despite looking incredibly fashionable and noble, I feel uncomfortable. My head pounds and my stomach turns; the smell of food is at war with perfumes. I try to focus on my meal, but my nausea is quickly returning. Too many people, too many sounds, too many smells...

                "Petra! You will demonstrate your abilities for us, will you not?"

                I smile at the crazy queen. "But of course, your highness! After dinner if you and your courtiers would convene outside?"

                The queen claps with the excitement of a child and I take the moment to excuse myself. If I were to remain in that hall much longer I would black out into unconsciousness once more.

                I walk out into one of the balconies overlooking an enormous maze garden. It is a gentle night; the breeze is ripe with the saltiness of the Florentian Sea and brings with it a promise of a rainy autumn. I hope that I will have left Florentia by then, to enjoy fall in a warmer environment, perhaps Telagar.

                I am lost in my thoughts and do not realize someone has entered the balcony until I hear the click of the balcony door being shut.

                I bite down on my lip to conceal my smile. It must be Giovanni back for a more through verbal beat down. I turn around to face him, my mind already thinking of a million witty remarks - only it is not the ornery captain of the guard...

                He is a noble with tangled blond hair and a hungry sneer. It takes me a few seconds to recognize the man - the one from the council meeting who made the crude comment towards me.

                Instinctively I step back, my back hitting the cold metal of the balcony railings, but the man steps in to close the gap between us.

                "I hear you will be giving us a show of your mystical abilities ..." He licks his wine tinted lips.

                My heart thuds painfully against my chest. I grasp the railings from either side of me. He steps even closer, close enough that I can smell the wine in his breath.

                "Yes, by request of the queen -"

                He rolls his too blue eyes. "The queen." His spittle hits me in the face, but I do not dare wipe it, for I know that it takes very little to provoke men like him.

                He trails a finger down the side of my face down my neck to the opening of my gown. He lets his hand hover over my chest. I try to calm my breathing, for his hand is too close to my chest and I am afraid that if I breathe too deeply, it might graze me and I cannot - I cannot have that man touch me.

                He grasps my waist instead and he pulls me to him.

                "What are you doing, signore!"

                I struggle against his hold, but he grasps me tighter still.

                No. No!

                I have not been on the run most of my life, just to have my life ruined by this boar of man.

                "Why don't you give me a private show of these abilities...?"

                "I will scream!"

                He lets go, but glares at me. "You dare threaten me!" His slap is fast and like a sting of a million bees. I fall to my knees and he pulls me by my hair, until my body is crushed against him.

                Tears sting my eyes from his painful hold and my helplessness. Why is that I can argue and hold my own against the captain of the guard but a coward such as this man and I am suddenly at a loss? I choke back my whimpers. One night in the palazzo and I am in more danger than I ever was the many years in the street.

                "Signore. You are drunk. This is not your character I am sure ..."

                He laughs at my attempt to reason with him.

                "Do not act so frightened. You are naught but a street whore." He then rips the front of my gown. "And I am a gentleman of the court."

A/N:

OMG WHAT! WHAT! lol i would love to know your guys thoughts so far! What situation did Petra get herself into! and what do think about that man? How will she get out of this one!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Reign ✔ By Kajree Gautom

Historical Fiction

13.9K 642 23
HR : #42 in HF There comes a time in life when you are not very sure of who exactly you are. You get confused in accepting yourself. You get engulf...
236 11 14
In a small town, five archeologist are sent on a bizarre journey to a mythical river whose mysteries has been told as folktales for generations by pa...
7.3K 304 15
When the mysteries of marriage don't turn out to be the fairy tale Robin always envisioned, she finds herself second guessing her decision to marry D...
166 23 32
~COMPLETED~ Death is only the beginning. The journey that follows is unknown. So why do people say that? Is it for comfort? To reassure that when one...