Close to Destiny (A Magical L...

By AdriaCimino

Why does Kat feel she knows Will when she's never met him before? Or has she? Kat has been too busy fighting... More

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Part II -- Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Part III -- Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
A playlist

Chapter 20

19 6 2
By AdriaCimino

April 3, after midnight

Long hallways led the way. I pushed open sets of fire doors and moved from modern to Victorian and back again. The staircases, antique with white scalloped edges, grandly led to a string quartet on one level and to darkness on another. 

I marched with purpose, as if desperately seeking someone or something. Alone as I climbed from one flight to the next, followed one sign to another. Only to find myself back to where I started. A complete loop. I turned around in frustration and had another shot at my search for nothing in particular.

Narrow bamboo steps led to an open platform. Books and magazines left behind on a few coffee tables. Drapes drawn in all of the rooms overlooking this plateau. Other than the rowdy crowds closed into the restaurants and the elegant couples enjoying classical music, the rest of the hotel remained masked in silence. It was as if I was the only person who dared to explore anything above the ground floor. 

I felt lost wandering those halls. I saw no one except my own reflection from time to time in a mirror that interrupted the sparseness of the white walls. The blue-gray carpet absorbed even the slightest sound of my footsteps.

An end table placed squarely against a wall—empty but for plastic fruit and two cocktail glasses left behind. By whom? Those revelers who congregated in one of the smoky bars or by Destiny's crowd? Silence. The air conditioners softly whirring. A door slamming now and again. Light footsteps scurrying. Then, nothing.

In a sudden panic, I turned and ran. I was afraid. I pushed open one fire door, then turned a corner. The wrong way. I couldn't be lost. No, I was just dazed. A sign for the elevator. A beacon of light. My feet pounded over the glass bridge leading to the atrium. I shuddered, my fear of heights taking over. And then I found safety as my fingers landed on the right button, whisking me down to the fourth floor.

I was tired. Exhausted wouldn't have been an exaggeration. But in spite of the densely soft down comforter and six feather pillows, I couldn't lay my soul to rest.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 221 56
In a world where the sky fell apart, shattering reality, and an enigmatic flora transforms humanity into lost souls, there's a new normal. Humans wi...
1.7K 216 42
Winner of The People's Choice Awards by Phoenix Wars. #1 winner in Paranormal in the Pixie Awards [2019] 4th place in the Sassy Awards [2020] As a ch...
79.3K 2.8K 33
When Cecilia wakes up in a wattpad fantasy novel she's dumbstruck. Knowing the future of her character she tries to be on the good side of King Jaspe...
384 49 60
He'll live forever into the future. I'm running from my past. When we collide, sparks fly, secrets are threatened, and pasts come back to haunt us. I...