Back To Where He Wants To Be

By by_cur

When Steve went to return the stones, he's not only bringing the stones with him but the slightest hope of br... More

A Soul For A Soul
Changes After My Return (Steve)
It's Nice Seeing You Again
Vision
Thor's Back
Natasha's Breakdown
After The Third Snap
He's Mine Isn't He?
Welcome Back
James Turns 2
He Came Back For Her
How Was He In The Past
I Would've
Maybe

James

5K 120 80
By by_cur

Steve came to visit Clint. He's not gonna lie, he was there to try another chance to get something about Natasha.

He stayed for a while surveying for any clue when he found a photo frame with Natasha and the Barton kids; there was Lila, Cooper, Nathaniel and to his surprise a little boy about a year old sitting on Natasha's lap, looking at her. His hair was red, just by the color of it he could tell it was Natasha's.

"You missed out a lot after you went back in time." Clint who came with two cups in both hands stated the obvious.

His heart stung with the fact that he did, "Yeah, I did." He put back the frame and asked, "Is she happy?" His eyes was still on her photo.

Clint came closer to hand him a cup of coffee, "Thanks to you."

Steve looked at him and asked, "What do you mean?"

"You got her back from there... are you staying for the night?"

Later that night Steve went back to the compound. The photo still haunted him. For some reason he was curious and he was conflicted but he could not tell exactly why. He decided he would stay at the compound for a while hoping he would be there when Natasha calls, though he knew she probably wouldn't, but still, just in case. He was there taking every little chance there was to speak to her.

The chance was slim, Wanda must've reported his presence already.

***

The next day while he was having his morning run. "On your left," Sam declared as he was catching up to him.

Steve stopped resting his hands on his waist while catching his breath. Sam passed by him but before he got further away Steve spoke, "Did you know about her child?"

Sam halted, he was kind of expecting him to ask this question after his visit at Clint's yesterday. He turned to him while Steve stepped closer waiting for him to answer.

After he even out his own breath, Sam started "I did, and if you're gonna ask me who the father is then I tell you, you asked the wrong person. I don't know, man."

Steve stayed still, one hand on his waist one hand on the back of his neck. He knew he shouldn't be but he was a little disappointed how Sam chose to stay silent about it.

Sam noticed his reaction and he found it fitting to clear his name, "I didn't know this is such a big deal Steve." Steve looked at him, "It's not my place to tell and it's not like you're the father." Steve bobbed his head in realization that Sam has a point.

"Yeah, you were once 'somewhat-a-thing' before you went back in time, even before the the first snap... I knew that much." Those years they were on the run, it maybe short but it was enough for him to see, though both Steve and Natasha were just too stubborn to admit it to themselves. "But things are different now, and I don't find any reason why I should be talking about it, you know?"

Steve sighed, he knew Sam was right in so many levels. He started running off, back on his morning routine and Sam followed suit.

They were resting under a tree. Sam was still catching his breath while Steve was sitting on the ground, eyes fixated at the empty field in front of him.

"I met him," Sam started. Steve turned his head towards his direction, eager to listen to what Sam was about to say next.

"One time she asked to meet and she showed up with a baby." Sam paused for a while smiling at the thought of what happened next, "For a second I asked myself 'Why? am I the father? Did I possibly slept with her when we were both drunk?'" They both smiled at the thought. "Without saying anything, she read through me. She cleared my thoughts then and there. 'It's not yours dumbass' just like that."

"Just like Nat," Steve stated a-matter-of-factly.

"Yeah, so Natasha." Sam agreed.

"Who else knows?"

"Clint, Wanda, Pepper of course... Rhodes knows too." He looked at Steve and continued, "Fury and Hill that's a given. Banner and Bucky knew not too long ago."

Steve raised a brow after hearing a long list of names.

"Yeah. Basically everyone at the compound."

***

At the Barton's.

Natasha was actually living not too far from Clint's farm. When she came back, she decided to go on indefinite hiatus again. Clint offered her to stay with them but Natasha declined the offer knowing Steve might want to see her when he comes back and she was too far from wanting to see him just yet. That's when Clint endorsed her a place not too far from his and Natasha took the offer after a long debate.

She was already two months in her pregnancy when she knew about it, she didn't want to tell anyone at first. She was scared. It was something she never thought would happen to her, 'I guess the sterilization has an exception' she thought.

At five months she could no longer hide it from Clint when he surprisingly visited her one time. He and Laura convinced Natasha to stay with them until she gives birth and few more months after. Just until it was safe for Natasha who doesn't have any idea how to raise a kid herself to live separately. Natasha hesitated at first but she did not want anything but for her baby to be at his safest, and not being alone was the best she could think of.

"When will you talk to him?" Clint straight to the point asked her.

Natasha took a moment to respond. She was not certain of anything herself, "I don't know. I'd like to but I don't think it's time."

Clint shook his head, "Then when will the right time be? It's almost three years Nat."

Natasha furrowed, a little furious. "It might be long already but it's not enough for me yet," she said firmly. Natasha let out a sigh to calm herself, "It's not that simple Clint."

Clint realized he was pushing her on something she was not ready yet, "I know. I'm sorry." He apologized.

Natasha took his hand in hers, "I know you want to help him because you're grateful to him for bringing me back. But don't, Clint." She said softly knowing he won't but still finding the need to tell him again.

He just smiled at her and she returned a soft one back, and that was enough reassurance Natasha needed. No words needed to be said, she just knew it. That was how deep their friendship is. They both put trust on each other and they knew whatever situation there will be, they would never break it —unless if they come to the point that their spy senses would tell them protecting it would harm the other.

On the other hand, Steve together with Pepper and Bruce spent their afternoon over a cup of coffee in the common room of the compound. The silence broke when Steve suddenly asked, "Is she happy?"

They look at each other, sharing the same worry in their eyes.

"I'd like to think she is." Bruce said, quite believing his own words.

Pepper then stated the fact that she knew of, "She is."

Bobbing in acceptance, Steve threw another question heavier than the first one, "Who's the father?" He did not know why he was asking but he just felt the need to.

Bruce let out a heavy sigh, "Honestly, if someone ever knows, we know who it would be." He paused before adding, "I asked her once and we know better than to press her for an answer." When Natasha came to visit them with James one time, he was in another level of surprised. She did tell him about not being able to have one before. His genius mind even missed the idea that there's got to be a loophole somewhere.

Wanda who just came in joined the conversation. She looked at Steve who stayed silent, pain all over his blue eyes. "I know you're in pain, I can feel it. I know part of you regretted leaving. I wish I could just tell you but I know her pain as well... too well." She paused for a moment, feeling all the emotions she shared with Natasha the past years. "I've shared it with her and I just can't decide in her behalf, and I understand her." She sat beside Steve and place her hand on his shoulder, "I'm sorry."

***

Few days later after her overnight stay in Wakanda, Pepper decided to visit Natasha at her place. "Auntie Nat!" Morgan jumped to hug Natasha, she missed her auntie Nat.

"Morgan," Natasha felt overwhelming happiness in her heart, she hasn't visited Morgan for a long time.

"Where's James?" she asked.

"Oh... you're here for James huh, thought you missed me!" She grinned.

Morgan giggles and said, "I do and I miss James too."

She smiled lovingly at her, "James is in his room."

Morgan ran off to meet James. Natasha smiled at the sight of having another angel who loves her little James so much, she couldn't be more grateful.

She turned back to Pepper and sighed a little knowing why she came to visit. She led her inside and said, "I know why you are here, and don't start me with it."

Pepper just shook her head slightly, "You also know how stubborn I am." She turned to Natasha before continuing, giving her a point she could never argue about, "Though not as much as you are." She smiled and Natasha just rolled her eyes.

Natasha shifted her weight on one side bringing one hand to rest on her waist, "Pepper, I can't. At least for now."

Pepper sat down on her couch before giving her a lengthy speech, "Natasha I want to give you all the time you need but we've been through a lot... you," she gestured towards her. "Me, the world, universe. Who knows what tomorrow brings?" Pepper tilted her head to look at her straight in the eyes, "James is growing each day, he deserves to grow with him, and Steve deserves to be a dad to James."

Natasha knew Pepper has a point, she always has. "You don't have to be together, you just have to give him a chance," Natasha sat down opposite her. "Okay, not for Steve, at least for James."

Natasha frowned, "Pep, you know I can't tell him. I mean, I can but," no words came out after as she could not find a valid reason not to tell him.

"He's been asking who the father is," Pepper stood up to get some water in her kitchen. "I guess you can't hide the connection he has with James."

With a glass of water in her hand she went to Natasha, she offered it to her while she placed the other hand on her shoulder. "You don't have to tell him now, but you can't hide it forever."

Natasha took the glass and Pepper sat beside her, "Each day that passes will eventually lead him to the answers he's been looking for. And I hope the truth will come from you before he finds out by himself, or worse, from someone else."

Natasha let all Pepper's words sunk in to her. Not like she haven't thought about these possibilities but she never really took time to get lost in those thoughts deeper than she should. "Thanks"

"Anything for you Nat." She stood once more and started roaming around, "Where's Maria?"

"Oh, Nick sent her on a mission. I guess the world never gets tired of asking for saving." She managed to grin at the thought.

Pepper nodded in agreement, "It's five months away from James' 2nd birthday. What's the plan?"

Natasha stood up and headed to James' room, "Since it was at Clint the last time, I guess it's your place next?" She smiled at her.

"Oh God Natasha, you know I'd love that! Morgan's gonna be so happy as well."

Natasha didn't want to celebrate her son's birthday at her place because she doesn't want anyone else aside from Pepper, Clint and Wanda to know where she was staying. She could always not invite others but she felt like James deserved to receive all the love he can get. She did not want a grand celebration, just a little gathering with all the ones close to her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 312 17
{Sequel to I'll Always Love You - A Romanogers Fanfic} -It's not that important to read the other, since this is kinda its own story and can easily b...
21.5K 477 51
Scarlette Romanoff was always known as a wild card. She had her own set of rules she followed. She did her own thing. But when Coulson calls her back...
70.6K 1.8K 24
Watching the world end is only as bad as what you stand to lose. Steve Rogers and Natasha Romanoff have lived and fought side-by-side for over five...
15.9K 664 37
"I'd give up the whole damn Universe for you." The Ghost of the East had lost all will to search for a small grass field and a few red roses to hug...