Tevun-Krus #80 - WattPunk 2.0

By Ooorah

Wattpad is wattching. 60 issues ago, we invented a brand-new sub-genre: WattPunk. Imagine, if you will, that... More

WattPunk 2.0: WattPunkier
Watt's Inside...!?
The Feud - A Short Story by @elveloy
Author Spotlight: @BobJan70
Magic Mike and the Common-Sense Conclusion - A Short Story by @MadMikeMarsbergen
WattPunk: Who Watts a Challenge...?
QueerSpace: The Stories
Images of a Science-Fictional Nature
The Contest - A Short Story by @CynkNapp
And Then We Went Ooorah - A Short Story by @jinnis
@Nablai's Nebula
The People Vs. Wattpad - A Meta-Story by @MadMikeMarsbergen
Part Two: Undercover - by @Silentis
Part Three
Part Four: Mad, Bad and Writing for Wattpad - by @OutrageousOllo
Part Five
Part Six: Small Acts of Rebellion - by @Wuckster
Part Seven
Part Nine
Part Ten: The Extremely Serious Writers' Manual - by @H-A-Spade
Part Eleven
Looking for More...?
Closing Time

Part Eight: In the STARz - by @Emmalee_Sky

16 6 2
By Ooorah

In the STARz

by @Emmalee_Sky

"The further down you go, the more you can see, and the more you can see, the harder it is to break free," Sylvia muttered, a cigarette on the tip of her lip. She spotted the pack. Ecrivain's Specials. The damn things would kill her, but she didn't care. Better than what'd really do her in.

"That's how they drew us all in." She looked at the tape recorder on the table. This was damn stupid, but the best way to get it out. Just batteries. No internet connection. "No Big Brother in the form of Wattpad." She tapped the recorder. "Since its start in 2006, twenty-four years ago, the simple writing website has taken the world by storm. By now, it's flooded across all the platforms, taking this company to a new level. Social media sites like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram—shit, they've ceased to exist. Wattpad's ground them into nothing. Why would you need all those when you had Wattpad? TV shows, movies, books, news, community? What was the damn point? Before the world knows it, the big orange W will take over the digital world. A slow climb to totally monopolizing the industry. Watch out, Google. You'll be next."

She lightly smacked her forehead. It was hard to stay focused. She shook her head again. Damn. But she had to hurry. Someone had to tell the world what was happening. Them Wattpad bastards thought they could get away with—

"You're getting ahead of yourself." She rolled her neck, shivered then scratched her inner left elbow.

Reaching for the glass of some no-name whiskey, she took a swig. It burned the whole way down. Slamming the glass on the table, a stack of cards tumbled over. Just like her mind. Tumbling and tumbling and tu— "Stop!" She shook her head.

"Sylvi, you've got to run! You're in danger. Heard it on the hike over. The wind said—"

Sylvia shook her head harder, rattling her brain. "You're not real. Not real. Not real. Not real." She dug her fingers into her temples. Concentrate. She couldn't let it get the best of her. She needed...

Clearing her throat, she scratched at her inner elbow again. "The faster I do this, the better. It's getting harder..." She took another drag off her cigarette, finishing it up. She got another. Yes, fill up on the nicotine. Hopefully before she lost her ever-loving mind. She licked her lips.

"Ever-loving?" She laughed. She sounded like a nut. What did it matter? She was loaded out of her mind, riding the tails of another trip, however short it might've been. She couldn't be expected to make any sense. And mixing in what had happened... Oh God. She was effing screwed.

But again, getting ahead of herself. She slapped her cheeks, the movement forcing a drop of ash to the table. She brushed it aside hastily. She curled up in the chair, bringing her knees to her chest. She stared at the cigarette for a moment.

"It all began with the next step as a Wattpadder or WattPadian, who the hell knew?"

***

Sylvia sat on her sofa, reading Joss Whedon's Fray #7 when her computer beeped. She tossed it aside. A new email from Wattpad? God, she hoped so. She'd just posted a short story, a tie between Sci-Fi and Fantasy, something new for her, and was dying to know what everyone thought.

Except it wasn't just any email from Wattpad. It was from the MOTHERSHIP. Holy crap. She plopped down before her laptop, hands shaking as she moved the mouse. An invite to join the Stars Program. Oh God. It was happening. The Stars Program was the next step for any writer. It came out in late 2015, and as the years passed, they turned into the cream of the crop. Having been on their Featured list for years, from one story to another, Sylvia had gained a steady following over the years. To be invited... She couldn't believe it.

She said yes. Was there ever a question about it? Being a Wattpad Star meant going places. With Wattpad ruling the internet, the Stars got the best opportunities. Writing whatever they wanted. For TV shows, movies, articles; hell, you named it, a Star was there. They were the new celebrities. At the top of the world now were writers.

And Sylvia was one step closer to that.

The next day, she received an email about a Stars-Program party at headquarters that weekend. This was her big chance. Make connections, network. With a quick call to her parents telling them she was traveling for work—Hey! Keeping up on Wattpad is work!—she bought her ticket.

She'd been waiting forever for an opportunity like this. Forgoing the dental business like her mama or the IT venture like her papa. Writing, and joining Wattpad in that role, was all she ever wanted to do.

The week passed quickly. The flight across the country from Florida to Toronto was excruciatingly long. Once it landed, she had just enough time to hit the hotel, drop her stuff, get a quick shower then head over to headquarters. It took up a city block now with the enormous orange W that could probably be spotted from space.

Sylvia stumbled through the doors, catching all the movement in a haze. New robots, she didn't want to think AI, 'cause that scared the bejesus out of her, though she knew it was on the ups. But everything here was state of the art, high-tech, computers, and security.

She was escorted to a ballroom with tables and a stage. She stood there, staring for a moment. Was that Anna Todd? Sylvia hadn't read the After series, but that didn't mean she didn't know the woman. It'd been about ten, twelve years since she made it big. Sylvia wasn't much of a fan but couldn't help being a little star-struck. Here was someone who'd started off with FanFiction, like her, and made it big turning her story into an original work. She had to applaud her.

Within moments, a woman appeared; dark, wavy hair and the sweet dimples that made her heart jump.

"And you're Sylvia, right? Sylvia Davis?" When she nodded, the woman shook her hand. "I loved Spark in the Dark. Oh, oh, and the first one in that universe, Firecracker. I know it's a bit away from your usual work, giving a little Sci-Fi, but— Oh my God! I'm totally gushing. I'm Taby. I'm the Stars Welcoming Community, kind of." She laughed.

Sylvia blinked. Wow. Whirlwind. Shocked that this woman, who worked for Wattpad, knew so much about her writing blew her mind. She cleared her throat, rubbing her sweating hands against her jeans. "Th-Thank you, Taby. It's nice to meet you."

Taby grinned. "Aren't you just the cutest?" Wrapping an arm around Sylvia's shoulders, she turned her to the crowd. "Guys, our newest addition is here!"

The entire group spoke at once. She blinked again, overwhelmed.

"Slow down!" Taby cracked up. "Oh, oh, someone get the hat!"

"The hat?" Sylvia's forehead furrowed.

"Yeah, you'll see." There were those adorable dimples.

Sylvia licked her lips.

Taby grinned. "There it is!"

Sylvia turned to see an enormous hat. She gawked. They couldn't be serious. The thing was a bit much, like an exaggerated top hat. Faded pages painted on top of each other, writing indescribable, and an ink bottle attached to a faded red cloth wrapped at its base, with a quill, the feather taller than the hat. It also looked like ink had spilled on the hat above the cloth, and in white letters 'Once upon a time...' had been scribbled.

Taby took it and walked over, holding it out to her.

"You're kidding." Sylvia frowned.

Grinning, Taby put it on. It dropped over Sylvia's head, and the ballroom laughed.

Fixing it, Sylvia blushed, settling it at an angle so it wouldn't slide down again. "You were serious. Ugh. Is this a hazing stint or something?"

"It looks good on you." Taby ran her hand down Sylvia's shoulder to her hand. "Come, you should meet..."

And off Taby took her, introducing her to the other Stars.

*

Standing by the bar, Sylvia watched two more Stars disappear behind a door. She'd counted thirteen people who went back there and hadn't returned. She took a sip of her rum-and-coke. What was happening back there? Should she check it out? Maybe it was an extended part to the festivities?

"So this is where you ran off to," Taby said, leaning against the bar. "What's—" She followed Sylvia's gaze. "Oh!"

"What's back there?" She couldn't help asking.

"Want to see?" Taby wiggled her eyebrows.

Sylvia blushed. "I— If I shouldn't—"

Taby laughed, taking Sylvia's glass from her hands and putting it on the bar. She slipped her arm through Sylvia's. "C'mon!"

Sylvia grinned as they reached the doors. It led to a white hallway with quotes, pictures and titles lining it. Sylvia caught a bunch she knew, but those were overtaken by a million others. This community's size was mind-boggling. Her smile grew. She was part of this community now and damn proud, too.

"Here we are." Taby pushed another door open, leading her in.

Sylvia stopped. But it wasn't the huge bright-orange room or the soft instrumental music playing. No, it was the dozens of beds filled with Stars, arms attached to the medical poles you saw in hospitals. They twitched, mumbled, but were unconscious.

"What the—" Sylvia backed up, but Taby stopped her. "Hey! Let go!"

"Now, Sylvia. Relax. Let's— Please, don't resist. It'll be fine. Just—"

"No! I know the Dark Side when I see it, unlike Anakin! I won't be part of it!" Sylvia fought, but she was forced on a bed. She kicked, screamed, but it was pointless as Taby and a man bound her.

"There's no need to scream. It's fine," Taby told her.

Sylvia tried to yank her arm away when the man stabbed her left arm with a needle. "Don't!" Oh God. What had she gotten into? Was this even Wattpad? What if it was some fake company that kidnapped unsuspecting young women? What if— Her body relaxed, worries fading away.

"There we go." Taby grinned. She ran her hand over Sylvia's forehead. "It's starting. This drug is called WPSTARz, but in The Program, it's known as STARz. It's amazing. It'll make you feel, see, experience things like your creative mind never imagined. It's experimental right now, but it's the highlight of The Program. That's what everyone—"

But Sylvia stopped listening, sinking into the bed then, further and further, and she knew no more.

*

"What was that?" a voice asked.

"Maybe it was the wind. She's sure talkative lately," another answered.

Sylvia blinked up at a cloudy sky. She frowned, sitting up. To her left, she saw two figures in a grassy area. No, a meadow. A meadow she recognized. Holy shit. She blinked, taking in the outline of trees, wild grass, little white flowers, but Sylvia knew they were weeds. Her mama used to get mad when she said the lawn looked pretty with the white flowers. She'd tell Sylvia they were actually weeds and killing the lawn, but she didn't care. They were pretty, and they filled the meadow with actual flowers. Some tickseed, swamp sunflowers and others—names, information passing through her mind as she stared.

This was her world. Her world. The one she created in her mind and was still in the process of putting together. Like Taby had said: a combination of Fantasy, with its elemental abilities and demons, plus Sci-Fi aspects like transferring between worlds. She'd only just posted two short stories, still feeling it out. Trying her hand at a different genre than her Fantasy or Paranormal ones. But here it was, spread out before her. Nature in her ear without the constant sounds of Florida in the present time. Endless, hurried, loud.

A chuckle pulled her out of her thoughts, and she turned to see her main character, Siora and her lover, Kayd, going at it. She'd thought they heard her, but that couldn't be right. Shaking her head, she laughed. Was any of this right?

Sylvia stiffened when she spotted the air ripple. A disturbance in reality, then a demon tumbled through. Travel through the worlds was the Goddess' power, but there was no way in hell She created this opening. She'd helped Siora and Kayd's people leave that world. Sylvia had been playing with idea, trying to figure out how this opening happened. Maybe when they came here, something went over there? Science made its way to the magical world? She liked that idea. It worked—

Siora screamed. Kayd cursed. Sylvia watched as they turned—

*

Sylvia was back, gasping awake. She lifted a shaky hand to her forehead, brushing away sweat-matted hair. Holy shit. She'd been in her world, seen her characters, and watched a new scene play out. She needed to get back. She opened her mouth, but it was dry. She licked her lips. Still dry. She straightened then noticed a man sitting in a chair next to the bed.

He smiled. "Sylvia. How are you feeling?" He handed her a glass of water. "I'm Vick, Head of the Stars Program."

Her hand shook as she took a sip. "Have to go back."

He chuckled. "WPSTARz. It's great, isn't it?" He tapped the bag attached to the pole. "It's a benefit only given to Stars. A combination of hallucinogenic drugs and bits of dissociative ones. I won't go into too much detail because... well, I don't understand it too well myself." He laughed. "Here at Wattpad, our scientists have been working on it. This new batch is great. There hasn't been any side effects, but it's still experimental. Plans to patent it are in the process, but it's all hush-hush, you understand. It's just for Stars—" And on he went, but she wasn't listening. She looked down at her hands.

So the drugs took her to her world. Chemicals in her brain, mixed with the drugs, gave her an out-of-body experience in a world she created in her mind. God, she needed more. She wanted to go back. "Can I go back now?" she cut him off.

He blinked, then laughed. "Don't you want to have some breakfast first?"

She startled. "Breakfast?" She fumbled for her phone on a table beside the bed. It was 9 AM on Saturday morning. She'd been under STARz all night.

"Let's get you fed first." Vick helped her to her feet.

She did. Food barely off her plate before she hurried back to the room, sliding into the first available bed. She inserted the needle sloppily, but she didn't care. She wanted more. More. More...

*

Standing at the airport, waiting for her flight to start boarding Sunday night, Sylvia didn't know what to do with herself. The weekend flew by after that. She spent every free moment she wasn't eating under STARz. She wanted to stay, wanted to slip under and discover her world in a new way. It was amazing, watching characters interact, fighting against demons that slipped into their world. She learned more about the characters, the Isle of Dree, their home, and what was to come for the story. But now that it was over... she had to wait for the next party. According to Vick it was next month. Next month? How could she wait that long?

And she also hadn't gotten a chance to see Taby again. She wanted to apologize for the way she'd reacted. She hoped the other woman wasn't avoiding her.

Boarding began. With a sigh, Sylvia followed the others. How was she supposed to live so mundanely until the next party now that she knew STARz existed?

Patiently.

*

A week passed, and Sylvia barely moved from her desk chair. She typed furiously, trying to get out as much as possible from what STARz had given her. She pushed out a lot within those seven days. All she could do was write. She ignored the outside world. Her family and friends? What did they matter in the scheme of things? She needed to write. Damn, if she had more STARz she could take a break but still work, and wouldn't that just be superb?

She fought a yawn when there was a knock. She got to her feet, grabbing a robe on the couch when she passed. She rolled her neck, then opened the door. She blinked. "Taby?"

"Wow, not company-ready, I see," the woman said, chuckling.

"Sorry!" Sylvia blushed, closing the robe and brushing a hand through her messy curls. "Hi."

"Good afternoon. Hope I'm not interrupting anything." Taby stepped on her toes, trying to see around her.

Sylvia blushed even further. "Of course not. Come in. Sorry for the mess. I've— Well, I've kind of been on a roll lately."

"I know! Your updates have been blowing up my email. I love it!" She grabbed Sylvia's hands and squeezed them. "Isle of Dree and Siora and Kayd and demons and magic and traveling between worlds! Oh my God! It's amazing!" Taby jumped with every word.

Sylvia laughed. "Thank God. I was worried it felt off."

"It's fantastic." Taby hugged her.

Sylvia's heart just about jumped out of her chest.

"And because you're doing so well, I brought you a gift." She shook her purse, dimples appearing. "I'm hoping you'll reward me, too."

Her look set Sylvia's cheeks blazing. God, yes. What she pulled out made Sylvia's heart kick up even faster. Six bags of STARz. "What do you think?"

*

The next forty-eight hours were a mix of STARz and sex, her characters and Taby, dream-world and reality.

*

Half-collapsed on her couch Tuesday night, Sylvia watched Taby pull on her panties. The woman was sin with dark skin and a trail of beauty marks down her back. Ever dedicated to her job, there was a small orange-and-white W on her inner thigh. Sylvia had spent some time with it.

"If you keep staring at me like that, I won't be able to leave." Taby buttoned up her white shirt.

"Don't want you to leave," Sylvia managed to say.

Laughing, Taby wiggled into her jeans. She walked over and leaned down. She kissed Sylvia, then collected the six empty bags of STARz. "How about I come back this weekend?"

"Perfect." Sylvia grabbed the bottom of her shirt, pulling her down for another kiss. "See you later."

Then with a wave, Taby shut the door behind her.

*

This went on for a few weeks. Every few days, Taby showed up with STARz, and they'd lose themselves in the drug, writing, and sex.

Today, she showed up with something special, a new batch. While they lay naked in front of Sylvia's couch. She scratched her inner elbow and smiled. "Ready."

Taby nodded, injecting the needle, and a few moments later down Sylvia went.

The second Sylvia woke up she knew something was wrong. She'd been able to engage her characters, but there'd been a misunderstanding, and she'd been burned. Couldn't really blame Siora but damn it hurt. Waking up, the pain was still there in her right shoulder.

Her heart skipped a beat. Her hand hovered over the spot.

"What's wrong?" Taby asked.

Sylvia touched the spot. She gasped. "I'm hurt."

"That's a new side effect. It's fine. It'll go away soon, I'm sure." Taby ran her hand up Sylvia's naked thigh. "The scientists tweaked it, giving it a more realistic effect, but if it's not right... I'll talk to them. The next batch'll be fine. I swear."

Biting her tongue, Sylvia touched the burn again.

"Want another go?" Taby grinned.

"Yes" spilled from her lips before she'd even thought about it. The truth was, she was too enamoured with STARz and her world. She couldn't stay away.

*

The tablet shook in Sylvia's hands. Putting it down, she clenched her hands. It wouldn't stop. A week had passed since the last Star party at Headquarters. Maybe that was why...

She cleared her throat, staring at the name but not seeing it.

Wattpad Star DEAD

Her heart pounded. That was bad. The front door opened from behind her, but she didn't look up, staring at the man in the picture. A kiss on her neck stirred her.

"What're you— Oh," Taby said, sitting beside her. "Terrible, isn't it?"

"So sad. What was the cause?" Sylvia couldn't help but ask.

"It's not in the article? Probably health issues," Taby said. "Ready?" She pulled out the bags. "I've missed you so much."

Sylvia kissed her, forgetting the world.

*

Second Wattpad Star DEAD

Something was stuck in Sylvia's throat. Still there, no matter how many times she cleared it. Shit. She scratched at her left arm and shivered. What was going on? There was no news on the dead woman. What killed her? Another no-name to her. She should've known her. Should've spent more time getting to know the other Stars at The Program parties instead of going under. So many should-haves.

Where was Taby? Sylvia thought, scratching her arm again. She twitched. She took a sip from the whiskey bottle.

*

"Oh, baby."

Sylvia looked up from her pile on the couch. Taby walked in, shutting the door behind her. She dropped her bag and hurried over.

"What's wrong?"

She lifted up the tablet, her hands shaking.

THIRD DEAD WATTPAD STAR. TREND?

Taby snorted. "Sticking it to The Man? You can't believe them, Sylvia."

Sylvia shivered, then rolled her neck. "So STARz isn't the cause?" She hated asking. That drug was everything. It made her a rising star on Wattpad, her stories loved by all.

"Of course not!" Taby shook her head. "Would something so good do something like that?"

"Of course not." Sylvia shook her head. Of course Taby was right.

"Good." Taby reached over the couch and pulled out bags. "New heady stuff. The scientists really outdid themselves this time. We're showcasing this at the next Program party."

Sylvia was laying back on her couch, Taby sticking the needle in her left arm before she even realized.

*

Sylvia was screwed. It was WPSTARz killing the Stars. She knew it. She stared down at the tablet, shaking. Oh God. This drug killed four people. What was she doing taking it? Loving it? Needing it?

The door opened and slammed. Sylvia didn't even look. The only one who came to see her anymore was Taby. She didn't have anyone else. Family and friends? What a joke. They abandoned her. Sylvia scratched her head. "It killed her, didn't it?"

Taby sighed. "Yes." She sat on the couch. "The three others, too. They died under STARz, then died in real life. With the same fatal blow. The scientists—"

"Oh my God." Sylvia stumbled from the couch, but her legs barely carried her. She righted herself against her desk. "Oh shit."

"Don't panic." Taby got to her feet. "It's fine. The formulas were off, but they swear they've got it right now. It's okay."

"No, it's not!" Sylvia scratched at her neck then her head. She twitched. "It's so far from okay!"

"Sylvia." Taby sighed, then jumped forward, something flashing in her hands.

"What the fu—" Sylvia dodged but stumbled and the needle hit her in the neck. "No!"

Taby took out her cell phone when Sylvia hit the floor. "Hey, it's me. Yeah. Went as planned." Sylvia watched Taby walk to her laptop. She waved her hand in front of the webcam. "Better cut if off. No, I understand. Shame. But with this, the last bit of evidence of the bad batch is gone. I'll put the information on her laptop. Yeah, it'll look like she tried making some herself since she got addicted, then shared it with some of her Star friends. No, I stopped by the warehouse where she baked it up before coming. No, I understand. I'll—"

And down Sylvia went.

*

"You shouldn't be here. You've got to get out of here. It's too dangerous."

Sylvia blinked. She stood before Siora, who waved her hands in her face. "Sylvi, you've got to run! You're in danger. Heard it on the hike over. The wind said—"

"Too late." They both turned. A woman with a dark ponytail ran towards them. She looked like Taby, but that couldn't be right. It was impossible to share hallucinations.

Siora pushed her out of the way but then blinked out. What the hell? That'd never happened before.

"Sorry, but this is the only way," the woman said, then kicked her feet out from under her.

Gasping, Sylvia got to her feet and ran. Coward's way or not, she'd be alive. She heard the woman behind her but she wouldn't stop. Finally, she reached the cliff. There was a climactic scene here in a future series in the Essential Chronicles—she'd been thinking about it lately, forming it in her mind.

It was a hard spot to see, the cliff barely visible, so when she jumped out of the way, the woman stumbled, waving her arms.

For a moment, Sylvia stared at her, and it was Taby. Her heart clenched, and she reached for her. Their hands brushed, but then Taby was falling, her scream exploding—

*

Sylvia gasped awake. She coughed, rolling onto her side, and there was Taby, staring at her with wide, empty eyes. Drenched. Sylvia's hand shook as she checked for a pulse.

She was dead. Just like the other Wattpad Stars. Just like she'd almost been. She struggled to her feet, collapsing against her desk. Her hands brushed against papers. She moved some aside, spotting intense equations and information on hallucinogens and dissociative drugs. Precise formulas to create a batch of WPSTARz.

What she'd heard from Taby was true. Wattpad wanted to frame her for the deaths. Oh God. What the hell was she going—

A pounding on the door made her jump.

"MDPD, Sylvia Davis!"

Her eyes widened. The police? What the— She looked down at Taby's body, then the text on her computer. Not just four deaths—five. She was screwed.

She turned and escaped out the window, leaving everything as it was.

*

The motel door closed behind her. She leaned back against it, heart pounding. How did this happen? She scratched her neck, clenching the tape recorder in her hand. She stumbled to a wobbly table, collapsing in the chair.

She knew what she had to do. She rubbed her mouth, then scratched her left arm. Share the evil that was Wattpad, show the world what kind of monster that giant orange W was, and what it'd do to keep face. Frame innocent people.

She'd tell her story and pull the rug out from under them before they took over the digital age. With this tape recorder, she'd reveal their demons. No internet connection. That was important. She figured this dingy motel didn't have any. Wattpad could be watching. Maybe STARz was making her more paranoid. Or maybe it's true what they say.

"The further down you go, the more you can see, and the more you can see, the harder it is to break free."

***

"I'm an addict. And while I once thought that helped my writing, now that I'm finishing this tape, I've been forced to think about it. The idea that the creative endeavour and mind-altering substances are entwined is one of the great pop-intellectual myths of our time... Substance-abusing writers are just substance abusers—common garden-variety drunks and druggies, in other words. Any claims that the drugs and alcohol are necessary to dull a finer sensibility are just the usual self-serving bullshit. I've heard alcoholic snowplow drivers make the same claim, that they drink to still their demons."

She cleared her throat as she filled her glass with the last bit of whiskey. She drank it all in one sip.

"Now, as I contemplate it all, I've learned something about writing. Writing isn't about making money, getting famous, getting dates, getting laid, or making friends. In the end, it's about enriching the lives of those who will read your work, and enriching your own life, as well. It's about getting up, getting well, and getting over. Getting happy, okay? Getting happy." She sighed, scratching at her elbow. "And don't ever forget it, or you'll become an addict and be chased after a shady multi-media company. Then your life is over. That's it, I think. Sylvia Davis, people. The end, I suppose."

She slipped the tape recorder into an envelope. Scratching her elbow, she looked at it. She needed to get it out, and do it quickly before they found her. They were coming, no doubt about it. She snuck inside the lobby and scared the crap out of the manager.

"M-Miss. I didn't see you there." He pulled on his collar. "Something I can help you with?"

"I need you to ship this. Let—" She cleared her throat. "Let me write down the address." She moved around the desk and grabbed a post-it. He'd know what to do with it. After finishing, she peeked up and noticed the light from the webcam flash off. She straightened. Damn! They found her.

She hightailed it out of the lobby, the manager calling after her. She slid on the soft pebbles on the asphalt when she skidded to a stop before her car. She fumbled the keys. Oh God. She bent down to pick it up when a light flashed on her. It had an orange tint. She held up her arm, trying to see, as a figure approached.

"Ms. Davis?" he asked.

She backed up against the car, eyes wide. It was a man, but he was hairy, like an ape. Oh God. No. Not him. If he was here, she was—

FIN.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 629 148
Hey, guys! Here is another collection of short stories, that will feature me, my Wattpad friends, my friends I know in real life, and random characte...
1.7K 221 17
This month, the @Ooorah regulars take on Theological Science Fiction!
8K 1.2K 58
This book is a collection of numerous short stories I have created, both mini and midi ones, written in the period of the past twenty years. Some of...
2.4K 201 17
In this latest @Ooorah anthology, we team up with Wattpad's own @WattpadPunkFiction. Inspired by a round theme from our Wattpad-famous SmackDowns, sc...