Casanova In Love

By RuchikaWrites

Ethan Salvay drives expensive cars and lives life like a king. No one thought that this billionaire was goin... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 (Part 1)
Chapter 18 (part 2)
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 23
Chapter 24

Chapter 22

6.6K 317 17
By RuchikaWrites

Ethan rushed through the hospital to the operation theater where the receptionist had said Dana was taken in for an immediate surgery.

"Tell me everything," he ordered the guard who was with Dana at the time of the accident. "How the hell did this happen?"

"It's a hit and run. Ms. Johnson and I were crossing the street and a black SUV broke the signal and ran her over. It all happened so fast. I've noted down the car's plate number and handed it over to the cops."

Ethan nodded, barely wrapping his head around the situation. "Did the doctors say anything? How is she?"

The guard shook his head. "No news yet."

"Jesus." Ethan covered his face with his hand and slumped down on a nearby chair.

This can't be real, he chanted in his head over and over again. As if, that would rewind the time and somehow undo what had happened.

"Please be OK," he whispered, resting his head on the wall behind him.

A few moments later his phone rang. It was Luke calling him.

Before Ethan could speak a word, he asked worriedly, "I heard you rushed out of the office. What's wrong?"

"Just come to the MountSinai Hospital. I'll explain once you get here." His voice sounded emotionless even to him.

"What? Hospital? Ethan, are you OK?"

"Just come," he repeated before hanging up. He knew he'd probably worried Luke more but he didn't know how to spit this out on the phone.

An hour later, they were still waiting for the doctors to give them an update on Dana. Luke had arrived at the hospital quickly and learnt about the situation from Ethan. He too, was shocked upon hearing what had happened.

"What if something happens to her?" Ethan asked. "How will I deal with that?"

Luke had been in a similar situation not too long ago during Bianca's complicated pregnancy. Things might not be exactly the same but the fear of losing someone was.

He placed a comforting hand on Ethan's shoulder. "Nothing will happen to her. This is a tough situation to deal with. But you have to stay strong so that you can support her. Understand?"

Ethan nodded. "I don't know how you dealt with it when Bianca was..."

Luke gave him a sad smile. "It's love that gives you this pain. But it also gives you the strength to deal with it. Trust me."

"I didn't know it could hurt like this," Ethan said. "I haven't known her for too long. But I'm incredibly attached. What I feel for her..." he shook his head, "I can't even describe that feeling. Just the thought that she is not OK, that she is in pain...it's twisting a knife in my gut."

"I know. I understand." Luke wished he had a way to take the suffering away. But he had nothing except for words to offer his brother.

"I wish this was all a dream..." he trailed off, shutting his eyes.

They let Bianca know about what was happening as well. But since no one could watch Nicolas, she reluctantly agreed to stay home after being promised that she'd know as soon as the doctors said anything.

Two hours later, the doctor performing Dana's surgery stepped out. Ethan and Luke jumped to their feet immediately.

"Doctor?" Ethan asked nervously.

"Are you Ms. Johnson's family?"

Ethan hesitated but Luke responded right away, "yes. We are her family."

The doctor nodded. "I'm Dr. Keller. We had to perform a major surgery on Ms. Johnson due to a head injury she sustained because of the accident."

Blood drained from their faces. Ethan gulped and willed himself to speak, "what does this mean? Will she be OK?"

"Well, the surgery was successful. But she is likely to experience post-traumatic amnesia. This means that she will have some trouble remembering or completely forget past memories. The likelihood of her forgetting more recent memories, I'd say the last 5 years or so, is higher. The older the memories, the stronger they are." Dr. Keller paused as Luke and Ethan's faces fell. "I'm sorry. I wish I was able to give you a better news..."

"Does this mean...there is a chance, when she wakes up she might not know who I am?" Ethan whispered in anguish. The doctor gave a small reluctant nod in agreement. "Oh my god...what? How can she...she can't forget me." He grabbed Luke's arm. "She can't forget me," he said firmly. "I love her. How can she forget me?"

"Ethan..."

"No, she can't. Luke, we've barely started our lives together. There is so much we've done. So much we want to do. But if she forgets me... What if she doesn't even know who the fuck I am?!" He exclaimed in anger, "how the hell can this happen?!" He rushed over to where the guard was standing and grabbed his collar. "You! How the fuck did you let this happen?! What were you there for, huh?! You walk out of this situation unscathed and Dana...my Dana...look at what's happening to her! How could you let this happen?!"

Ethan's voice boomed in the hospital's quite hallway, making Luke rush to his side. He pulled him away from the guard.

"Let me go, Luke. I'm going to kill him. This is all his fault! Let. Go!" Luke struggled to pull his brother away but managed to back him up against a wall.

"Calm down, Ethan! Get a grip on yourself! Stop!"

"Stop?! Did you not hear what he just said," he shouted, looking at Dr.Keller. "Did you not hear?!"

"I heard him loud and clear. That's why, you need to get over the anger you're feeling and deal with the situation. I'm sorry, Ethan. This has shocked me to my core. But we can't react like this. She will need us now more than ever. Because when she wakes up, she won't know what happened or who she's been for the past couple of years. You and I can't even begin to imagine how that will feel. How scared she will be. We will need to be there to remind her. You will need to show her the life she might not remember. If you can't get over our own pain, how will you help her get over hers?"

Ethan had stopped struggling. His shoulders had fallen and his eyes had tears. "I can't do this, Luke. I don't have that kind of strength. I love her too much..."

"I know...I know you love her. But you will have to conquer the fear you're feeling. You don't have an option. You are capable of dealing with this. Do you understand?" When Ethan didn't respond, he repeated, "do you understand?"

"Yeah."

Luke nodded and let him go. Then he turned to the doctor behind him. "Dr.Keller, is Dana's condition permanent?"

"Every patient is different. So it really depends on how well she recovers. Some patients start recalling things days or weeks after. But sometimes it may take months."

"Is there a chance she won't ever remember?"

"The chances are slim."

"So that's a yes," Ethan commented bitterly. "I want to speak with the cops. I want to know what they are doing about this. I want the asshole who did this right now!"

"We will find out," Luke replied with determination. "But first we need to make sure Dana is taken care of. Dr. Keller, what happens next? Can we see her?"

"Not yet. She'll be moved to a room soon. She won't be conscious for a couple of hours but you can certainly sit with her. In the meanwhile, there is some paperwork that needs to be filled out at the front desk. So please do that as soon as you can."

"Thank you, doctor. We'll take care of that right away."

Dr. Keller nodded. "Please excuse me. If any other news regarding her condition surfaces, I'll contact you." He paused before adding, "again, my sincerest apologies. I wish I could do more for Ms. Johnson."

They both nodded and thanked the doctor before he walked away.

"I should let Bianca know," Luke said.

"She'll be heartbroken," Ethan said dejectedly. "I'll be here. Just in case. You should go make that phone call."

Luke didn't need him to spell it out. He understood that his brother needed some space. So he decided to call Bianca as he walked to the receptionist.

While he was gone, Ethan just sat and watched the people go about their business at the hospital. It was the only way he could distract himself and stop the fear and anger that was burning inside him. 

If only I knew who did this to her. The day I find out will be their last on his planet. He vowed to himself.

~~~

It was past midnight when Ethan and Luke were allowed to see Dana. She was still unconscious and hooked on to machines that beeped periodically. Her chest rose and fell softly as she breathed through the oxygen mask.  Her head was wrapped in a bandage and her right forearm was in a cast. There was a cut on her lip and a bruise on her left cheek. 

Up until now, Ethan thought that the second he'd lay his eyes on her, he'd feel better. He figured the dread he was feeling would somehow decrease being close to her. But it did the complete opposite. Seeing her made it all real. Too real. 

The thought that she could have died briefly crossed his mind. He immediately forbade himself from thinking of it ever again. 

She is alive and breathing. All she needs is time. Everything will be alright. He willed himself to think positive like Luke had asked him to.

He walked to her quietly. As if any sudden movement would scare her. But how could it? Her eyes were closed. The world didn't exist for her in that moment. 

He gently placed his hand over hers, afraid that he'd wake her. He suddenly realized that he was terrified of when she'd regain consciousness. Right now, he could hold her hand and look at her with love and pain in his eyes. But when she woke up and no longer recognized him, how would he explain these gestures and feelings? For him, he'd be seeing his Dana. But to her, he might be a complete stranger. How would he tell her that they are dating? That he loved her and she loved him?

With the feeling of helplessness blanketing him, he bent to kiss her hand as a way of comforting himself.

"Please don't forget me. I need you to open your eyes and know who I am. I don't know how I'll survive if you look at me without any emotion, Dana. Just...don't forget me."

He wanted her to wake up right then and tell him that it's alright. That she could never forget him. But of course, nothing of that sort happened. Silence was all they were surrounded with. 

The gravity of the situation was too heavy too bare. Ethan didn't remember the last time he cried. But right there in that hospital room, he cried with his brother by his side.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.1M 93K 80
Gwendolyn was different. There was no doubt about it. She was told constantly by her friends that she had a body to die for. She was sarcastic and...
2.3M 72.2K 37
In this Series, Billionaire Bachelors meet their match in a wicked plan of their own. 1. The Summer Bride ****** It all started with a red-haired lit...
3.3M 93.2K 67
"Stay away from me I'm not the man for you understand" how did this change to this "I can't live without her", read to figure out this one of a kind...
334K 11.5K 52
"I have nothing to give you or make you happy but, yet you're willing to be with me?"- Daniel "I don't care if you are poor, I love you and I want...