New Year, Same Us - Auston Ma...

By hockeybabestars

You and Auston had been friends since you were in kindergarten. You were close. Maybe too close from the outs... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
nine
ten
Bonus/Alternate Scene

eight

3.3K 27 4
By hockeybabestars

September 18, 2018

"Aus?!" She yelled from her room. "Are you almost ready?"

I had been ready for 20 minutes and was sitting on our couch waiting for her to finish up. "Yeah I'm ready now!" I rolled up my sleeve to get a better look at my watch, "are you almost ready? It would look really bad if my plus one made us late." I snicker as I heard her heels clack, the light to the hallway going off simultaneously.

I got up from the sofa as she entered, and boy, was I going to have to keep an eye on her tonight. She looked stunning. The light pink dress cinched her curves in all the right places, and her hair was in waves. She was like something out of a dream. She didn't bat an eye as she went to the kitchen looking for the keys. I came up behind her and dangled them in her face, and before she could snatch them I pulled them away. She reached for them again but I held them behind my head, and suddenly she was all too close to my face. I glanced down at her lips, wanting to kiss them badly but then I quickly diverted back up to her eyes. "You look stunning (Y/N)."

I could feel her breath hitch against my own lips and the minty flavor of her gum hit my nose before she smiled genuinely, her signature smile where her lips tilted a little crooked at the corners, and it made my heart flutter.

"Thanks Aus, you don't look too bad yourself."
She stepped away and we did a once over of our apartment, making sure we didn't forget anything. I grinned and opened our front door for her, watching her walk as she went. I locked the door and we went down the hall towards the elevator, "just out of curiosity," she toyed with a strand of her hair, eyes flicking up to me through long lashes, "how much did your suit cost?" She was smirking at me and I couldn't resist really. "Wanna bet on it?" The elevator dinged for us to get on and she rolled her eyes, "do I even have a choice?"

"No use fighting at this point babydoll." I flashed her my signature smirk as the floor indicator ticked down.

"Does that really work on girls?" She played.

"Apparently not on you." I laughed but deep down I kinda hoped it did.

"It's because I know you better than you know you." She stated matter of factly. She did though. That was the scary part. We hit the first level and strolled out, before she added thoughtfully, "did you want it to work on me?"
I felt my cheeks flame, and was thankful she was walking slightly ahead of me, "uhh," I faltered before gaining my confidence back, "depends on if you wanted it too."

She stopped for a split second, giving me a chance to catch up before she continued walking, this time leaning into me a little bit, "maybe."

My heart jumped at that, "Still wanna make that bet?" I opened the car door for her. She thanked me and I hopped in the drivers side.

"Am I betting high or low." She gave me side eye as she buckled her seat belt and we were off.

"What do you think?" I grinned. There's no way she gets this. "Do you know your suits? What brand am I even wearing?" I smiled.

I could feel her eyes on me as mine were on the road, and she reached over and ran her finger down the lapel of it, feeling the fabric. I tried to concentrate on the road but she was leaned over the console examining the details of my suit, looking for anything that would give away the designer or price. I needed to think fast, I could tell this would be a long night already and it hadn't really even begun.

I swatted her hand away, "hey stop it! that's cheating." I smiled and looked over at her as we hit a light. She placed her palm flat against my chest as she mocked me, pulling her lower lip into a pout. I could feel my heartbeat pick up and surely she could too.

"Just seeing what I have to work with Aus." The nickname melted off her tongue like butter and really I only like it when she says it anyway. The light flashed green and I grabbed her hand off my chest, entwining our fingers together and resting them over the middle console. "I'm betting high, what like $7,000? Is that too much for a suit? What is it Gucci? Aren't you like their poster boy or something?"

I laughed at her accusations and she squeezed my hand a little too hard. "Ow! Jeez woman that hurt. Those are my money makers!"

She swatted at me again, "sorry not sorry. Isn't like half your closet Gucci or something. I feel like I should know this but I'm really drawing a blank here."

A smile crept up onto my face. She's cute when she's thinking too hard. She always over thinks or over-analyzes everything. It's like it's written in her DNA or something.

She looked over at me and I attempted to keep a straight face, "it's Gucci isn't it." I nodded. "$7000 close?"

I kept a tight lip. She turned towards me, "it's fuckin higher isn't it!!!" Her voice raised towards the end and I burst out laughing.

"$10,000." Her jaw dropped, "what do I get since you couldn't guess it?"

"I can't believe you spent $10,000 on a suit." She was in awe, "that's like a trip to Europe, or a down payment on a car, what are you psycho?"

"Are you really belittling me right now?" I chuckled, "you guessed $7,000 that's just as high!!!"

"Yeah but-"

"But what? $7000 okay to drop but $10 is too much?" Her face went blank as she tried to process it and I howled as her eyebrows knit together. She was something else.

"I hate you." She fought to keep the smile off her face.

"Your mouth says otherwise." She covered her lips with her hands as we pulled up to the venue, she finally pulled them off as we valeted the car. And as we walked into the rustic barn I elbowed her a bit, grinning wildly, "seriously though, what's my prize since you didn't guess right?"

She linked our arms as we tried to figure out where we were sitting and smirked at me, "Bragging rights."

"I bet we could make it a little more interesting."

"Oh of course you bet huh."

"You owe me a dance." She pouted. "Aus-"

"Nuh-Uh. We're dancing later, it's the least you can do."

I can tell she wanted to press me further but instead she just nodded, "Okay."

"Wow, I didn't think that would be this easy. I need to win bets more often." I knew how much she hated dancing. It was because she had two left feet and literally tripped over herself on any normal day. She didn't like to embarrass herself. The truth was, she wasn't a bad dancer at all. She could dance fine by herself, especially after a drink or two. But she was clumsy enough that partner dancing wasn't really her thing. I always try to get her to at weddings and events but she doesn't budge. She's stubborn as hell, but it's why I love her. She doesn't change for anyone. Not even me. I always ended up finding some random bridesmaid to dance with at these things, but tonight she was mine.

We wandered further into the barn stopping for a few pictures together before the ceremony as Paige snapped away on her phone and a film camera as well. Mitch and Steph found their way to us too and soon enough we had group pictures with the six of us, then guys, girls, and finally as we finished up it was about time to find our seats.

The Tavares wedding was really going to be something. Greenery was everywhere and there was a modern feel to their set up even with the more natural elements. I put a hand on (Y/N)'s lower back and guided her to our seats on the grooms side. We were in the middle back and slid into the refurbished white bench with ease, the rest of our group following suit, filing into the row after us. I wrapped an arm around the back of (Y/N)'s seat as she crossed her ankles, leaning into me while we waited for the ceremony to start. A comfortable silence settled over us and somehow both our free hands found each other on their own accord.
Soon enough she was playing with my fingers, clasping and unclasping them, tracing the outline of my hand and holding our palms up to watch our hands align. It was something we had done plenty of times before. Whenever we got bored or were watching Netflix or at family events. It was inevitable that our hands would meet. Her hand was a lot smaller than mine, and we quietly played a game of thumb wars before the loud chattering settled down. I could hear the preacher say to rise, so I gently grabbed her hand in mine and lead her up. She was still leaning into me as we waited for the bride to make her way down the aisle.

John and Aryne chose to say their own vows although short and sweet. It was nice. Being here, celebrating them. (Y/N) was the perfect wedding date. She was classy and reserved when needed but could definitely open up and make conversation with anyone who approached her. And soooo many people approached her. Which was crazy because she was the plus one. But that's just (Y/N), stealing everyone's heart the way she stole mine.

It had to be obvious at this point. I thought my incessant flirting and annoying her every chance I got would be enough to give her the hint, but apparently not. I thought that living together was another sign that maybe I was kind of into her but she just took it at face value since it was the most logical option. I think I really realized how I've felt this past May. I mean, it was there all along, but I didn't admit it to myself until then. She started hooking up with some random guy at college, and when I walked into some kid in our apartment it made my stomach lurch. I don't think I've ever felt that sick in my life.

I had talked to her earlier in the day. We were on a long road trip in the west and I was excited to get back and see her.

It felt like maybe things had been changing between us lately, and I wanted to get back and test the waters a little just to see if she even felt a tiny bit the same. It was easy with her. I missed her like crazy, constantly texting to see what she was up to, and sending snapchat updates of what the boys and I were doing, just because I knew she would send a picture back and I could see that gorgeous face again.

Our flight was delayed because weather in Toronto was pretty bad. And we didn't end up landing till pretty late. I texted her when we landed at 12 that I would be home soon. I never got a response so I figured she was asleep.

What I didn't expect, when I came home at 1am on a Saturday, was some random guy going through the cupboards in our kitchen with just his boxers on.

"Uh who are you?" I had a sour taste in my mouth.

The guy looked up from his position on the floor, going through the bottom cabinets and I swear almost shit himself. "Oh my god you're Auston Matthews." I frowned. Oh jeez a hockey fan, how rare in this city! He shook his head in disbelief and stood up, walking over to me and put his hand out for me to shake. I took it, begrudgingly. "I'm Reese, it's really nice to meet you, although I never thought it would be like this."

I scoffed, but he didn't seem to notice. He found (Y/N)'s post it notes on the kitchen island and pulled one off handing it to me, "do you think you could sign this for me?"

"What the hell is going on here? Reese I thought-" (Y/N) 's voice sounded a little groggy, like she might've been sleeping, but when she came out of her room, only clad in black lace underwear and a t-shirt I presumed to be his, my breath caught in my throat. One because she looked damn good. And two because she was wearing his clothes and practically nothing else. I felt a fire in my chest. I swallowed hard and tried to remain neutral.

When she finally realized I was home her eyes went wide. "Oh, uh, hey Aus."

"(Y/N) you didn't tell me your roommate was the Auston Matthews." This guy was still here?
She uncomfortably glanced over at me. Yeah me too. "Uh roommate? Try best friend." I said smugly.

"I didn't see a reason to bring it up." She said. Ouch that hurt.

"Sorry Reese bro, but I'm gonna have to ask you to leave, I really need to get to bed and I'm sure your friend (Y/N) here can fill you in on all the dirty details later. Have a great night." I walked past them and into my room, shutting the door. Trying to get ready for bed without my head exploding from everything that just happened. I waited until I could hear him leave before I went and knocked on her door.

"What Matthews?" I opened it slightly and peered in, leaning on the door frame and watching her fix her bedding a bit, now in another old t-shirt.

"Matthews huh? Can I come in?" She nodded and crawled under the white comforter patting the spot next to her. I sat down on top of it before rethinking this whole situation. "Actually can we go to my room?" I wasn't really comfortable that they just fucked in here and wasn't too keen on sitting in the bed that someone else got to touch her in.

She nodded and as I grabbed her hand, I felt tingles. I didn't dare to look behind me as I lead her to my room. We crawled under the covers and sat against the headboard.
We stared up at the ceiling a bit before she turned to me. "You're so dramatic."

I looked over to her and I could tell she was slightly upset. "But I know that's not exactly the most fun thing to come home to and I'm sorry."

"S'okay. Were you ever gonna tell me you were kinda seeing someone?" My jealousy got the best of me, and I couldn't help but let it seep into my voice a little as I ask.

"No not really, you never tell me when you do...So." She shrugged, and I tilted my head back a little, groaning.

"You don't tell people we're friends either?" It sucked knowing that maybe she was ashamed of me for whatever reason. I always told everyone about her. I loved to talk about her and how proud I am of her for working hard in college and her internship which she officially secured, and just being the amazing, kind hearted person that she is.

"It's different... I- I don't tell strangers or people I just met or at least until I have a grasp on their personality. I stopped doing that a long time ago. I can never tell if they want to be friends with me, or have a relationship with me, for me or to get to you."

"Oh." It sucks, but it makes sense.

"Oh. Is right. Also I don't want people to be up either of our asses if they're just clout chasers." She smiled, shaking her head as I laughed, "Just not how I want to spend my time."

I sighed, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to kick him out, that was just weird and I wasn't expecting you to have company and-"

"Auston. It's okay. I should've warned you in some way, or gone to his place. Maybe this whole thing could've been prevented. I'm the one who's sorry. That situation was pretty awkward." I don't want her at some guys place.

I want her with me.

I grabbed her hand and placed a soft kiss on her cheek. My stomach churning as I did so, "Stop worrying. Don't be sorry either. We good?" She nodded and entwined our pinky's. "Always." And with that she slipped out of the darkness of my room and back down the hallway to hers. And my heart ached with every step.

Maybe I wasn't doing enough, maybe I just needed to be upfront.

I took a swig of the beer I was drinking and set it back on the table as I watched her converse with Steph, Paige, and Aryne, Probably complementing the bride on her gown and the allure of the wedding.

Pretty soon we were eating steak, mashed potatoes and wedding cake, and my stomach was all too full when the bride and groom shared their first dance. I looked to (Y/N) to see her swooning at John and Aryne adoringly.

She was facing the back of her chair, hands resting on the back of it, and chin resting on her hands. "Don't you just love those two together?" Her nose crinkled. It was really cute.

I stood and held my hand out to her as other couples started to join in on the dance floor. She looked up to me, eyes slightly glazed from her glasses of champagne, but I knew she was at a good level. Sober enough to make good decisions, buzzed enough to have a good time.

"Are you gonna dance with me?" My heart felt like it was racing as I waited for her answer.
She took my hand so I took it as a yes. I lead her out to the dance floor, Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran coming on as we stopped in the middle. She wrapped her arms around my neck and my hands settled on her waist, pulling her close. My stomach churned with nerves and a little bit of excitement. I looked down at her, her head on a swivel, looking everywhere but me. Other people are looking at us and her brow knit in confusion. Her hand was burning a hole where it was placed flat against my chest.

"What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?" I touched her forehead lightly, then bringing my hand back down and wrapping it around her waist securely.

She looked back to me, eyes widening, "It's nothing."

"You know you can tell me anything right?" I tried, pulling her back into me as she slowly tried to pull herself away. "That's what friends are for. And hey, quit trying to leave me!" I laugh, grinning. "Were kind of in the middle of that dance you owe me."

She smiles back softly but glances around the room again, this time almost self consciously. "It's just that... I don't know- I don't really know how to say it without sounding weird."

"Are you okay? Is something wrong? You know nothing you say will ever sound weird to me? I'm pretty sure we've been through it all." I leaned my forehead against hers and try to ease her mind but she seems so off. I don't know what happened because everything seemed normal when we first got here.

She took a breath and pulled back a little looking right at me, "Everyone thinks we're a couple." I could see the nerves riddling her features and it made me curious as to why. It's not what I was expecting, but it made me grin, "I know."

"You know? It doesn't bother you?" Her nose scrunched again.

"Should it? Does it bother you? I mean, personally I think I could do worse as far as fake lovers go, but..." She playfully shoved me and we fell right back into place, swaying as the song went on melodically.

"It really doesn't bother you?" She seemed unsure, but avoided my question nonetheless, looking up at me as if the only answer I could give would be yes. That it does bother me. And that couldn't be further from the truth.

I shrugged trying to play it cool, "why would it bother me?"

"I don't know..." She looked away, back to the surrounding crowd as the song changed.

"You're Auston Matthews." She huffed. "You can get any girl you want. Wouldn't people believing that... we're an item... wouldn't that get in the way?"

I grabbed her hands in mine, looking down at them. She instinctively clasped them together and my heart warmed as I glanced back up at her. "That's just the thing." We had stopped dancing at this point, and I'm pretty sure we were in the way of people trying to dance, but I didn't mind. "You don't see me as the Auston Matthews. You never did. You just see me as Auston Matthews, your extremely good looking and talented best friend." I smirked.

"Way to ruin it." She laughed.

I gently pulled her closer, "you see me as the dumb kid who broke his arm at your eighth birthday party, and the horrible friend who spilled punch on your prom dress, and the annoying son of bitch who always tries to force you to dance. You never see me as someone who's untouchable," I grab her hand and place it over my heart, "you always touch me." She looked as if she lost her breath, eyes swirling with emotions. She carefully removed the hand that was over my heart and stood still for a second. She looked back up to me meticulously, "let's get some air yeah?" I let my hand rest on the small of her back and nodded as she lead the way out, one step ahead of me.

I couldn't be more grateful for the little piece of privacy that we had out here. The air had turned slightly cooler, and I could see her shiver a little, although she would never admit she's cold. I shrugged my suit jacket off anyway as we walked along the outside of the barn. The sun was starting to go down and the chill in the air picked up. I wrapped my jacket around her shoulders, and used it to pull her in closer to me.

She muttered a thanks and I sucked in a breath. Now or never Matt's.

But she turned to me sharply, beating me to the punch, "you can't just say stuff like that you know?"

"Why not?" Her eyes met mine and the wary look on her face told me what I needed to know. I know what she's thinking. And she means more to me than anyone. She must know that. She has too.

"You could never get in the way of anything (Y/N)." I tucked a lone strand of hair behind her ear as her eyes sparkled and flickered up to mine. "It doesn't bother me because I don't want just any girl." I toe around the subject, hoping she can figure it out before I have to say it outright.

"Well, what do you want Aus?" I want you. Don't make me say it. Don't make me ruin a good thing (Y/N). I don't want to lose us.

My eyes flicker down to her lips. I close my eyes and lean in a little, nudging her nose with my own. Slowly but surely closing the gap between us. I could feel the electricity radiating off her, our lips barely touching before I heard a voice coming from the door. We broke apart, wide eyed, hearts racing, both looking to see who joined us outside.

Kappy looked drunk. And Paige looked like she was dying from laughter. They spotted us and made their way over. I looked back at (Y/N), her cheeks flushed and managing to look anywhere but me, although my arm was still wrapped around her. She leaned into my touch as they approached.

"Youuuuu guyssss." Kap slurred and Paige just seemed to notice the position we were in.

"Uh Kappy needed some air, but I see you guys did too." She grabbed his hand and tried to lean him into her for leverage. "We'll just let you guys have some privacy."

(Y/N) turned her face into my shoulder as Paige tried to shove Kappy back into the reception. I looked down to her and laughed. She did too, bringing her face out of my shoulder. I would've tried to recreate the moment but it seemed like it was lost as she grabbed my hand and tugged me back inside.

"C'mon Aus, we should get back."

And I had no choice but to follow.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 75.3K 42
Never in a million years did I think I would cross paths with him again. Michael Woods. The boy who broke my heart. The boy who picked hockey over me...
55.7K 653 48
In which she moves from a small town to the big city and bumps into the one and only Auston Mathews. When Allison Carter moves to the big city with h...
65.1K 521 41
She meets a hockey player. She falls in love. He doesn't know what he wants. Distance separates the two. Will it push them together?
3.4K 41 23
"I just mean... there's something about you that I can't get out of my head. I've never felt like this before, and I have my fair share of experience...