Close to Destiny (A Magical L...

By AdriaCimino

Why does Kat feel she knows Will when she's never met him before? Or has she? Kat has been too busy fighting... More

Introduction
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Part II -- Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Part III -- Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
A playlist

Chapter 14

18 6 3
By AdriaCimino

March 17

"Why were you mumbling the name 'Will' in the middle of the night?" His voice was calm and steady as he stirred two sugars into his coffee. Feelings of guilt overwhelmed me. But I have no reason to be guilty, I told myself. Still, my face reddened. The heat had become intolerable. I didn't know what to do or say. How could I possibly be honest? Paul would never believe my stories about the trip to London, and I wouldn't want to share them with him anyway.

"You've found someone else, haven't you?"

"What? You're being ridiculous..." I was grasping for words.

"Then who is Will?" he asked. A quiet accusation.

I wished I knew. But I wasn't going to say that to Paul, of course.

"I don't remember my dreams, Paul! What do you expect me to tell you?"

He took a sip of coffee and wandered over to the slim window in the corner of the kitchen. The fire escape partially blocked the view of busy early morning shoppers moving from one narrow storefront to the next.

"You're still angry, aren't you?" he asked.

"Well, I can't say I was thrilled that you cheated on me..."

"Kat, we were separated!"

"Yeah, I caught you in bed with our neighbor the day after we decided to cool it for a while. You didn't pick her up on the street corner five minutes earlier!" My words spewed out like a burst of lava from a volcano. "How am I supposed to deal with that? And the fact that this occurred right after I got out of the hospital... It was absolutely perfect!"

"Kat, I told you I regretted it! The only thing we can do now is come to terms with everything. I can't turn back the clock."

Sometimes, I wanted nothing more than to turn back the clock. Start again at zero, before the pain began. Have a second chance. But that didn't exist. Paul rushed over and pulled me into his arms. I pushed him away.

"There is someone else, isn't there?" Anger mounted in his voice, and I wrenched my frustrated gaze from his fiery one. "It's about revenge. I'm sure that's it."

I didn't think he really cared. The idea must have hurt his ego more than anything else.

"You weren't there when I was at my lowest, and now you think I have to answer your questions? I'm the one who has the right to be resentful—even after all this time!"

I felt the poisonous darts flying out of my eyes as raw emotions broke through the surface. I loved and hated him. I turned around and stalked across the living room. I had been crazy to return to him—to this place—when my feelings were tied into knots of confusion. I didn't belong here, going through the motions of normal life. It had to be all or nothing. And it couldn't be "all" until I let go of the memories, of the resentment.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

I pulled on my boots, grabbed my handbag and wool coat. I didn't care that I was wearing my old jeans and my hair was escaping in frenzied tufts from its ponytail. I had to get out of there—and fast. An internal voice tried to convince me I was finally breaking free, yet, deep down, I knew I wasn't.

"I need some air." I hated myself for not leaving forever.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7K 216 42
Winner of The People's Choice Awards by Phoenix Wars. #1 winner in Paranormal in the Pixie Awards [2019] 4th place in the Sassy Awards [2020] As a ch...
7.5K 218 57
A boy wakes up in a mysterious castle with no memory except his name. The rooms are always changing and time has lost all meaning. Reoccurring dreams...
782 190 10
• An Eternity Of Love • .•☆ If you hear something that you haven't felt, it doesn't mean t...
1.7K 510 39
Highest rank #73 in fantasy #18 in voodoo #79 in Philosophy There are times when everything around fades and the voice of the past starts dominatin...