Perception - The Vamps/Youtub...

By authoring

Sixteen hopefuls battle it out for a life-changing cash prize, whilst encountering domesticity and testing tr... More

2
3
4
5
6

1 - Launch Night

331 18 11
By authoring

“Okay are you ready? He’ll be called out in approximately ten minutes. I repeat, ten minutes” an ageing red-headed woman shouted to the production crew as opposed to Connor, whom also needed informing. He was stressing, and it was beginning to show.

A younger woman then ran up to him, and ushered him in front of a metallic type of door, before attacking his face with a powder puff then reassuringly smiling at him then scampering off. Connor began playing with a few of his bracelets nervously, it was only a minute or two before he would receive the crowd’s first opinion of him.

“Focus the main cameras on Gemma, and we’re back in five, four, three, two...” the producer’s voice died down before the countdown finished, and the crowd erupted into thunderous applause as the show was back from the ad break.

Connor knew nothing about his introduction, whether his VT was to be shown after a clever pun or a simple line, all he knew was that he was to walk through the door after his video was broadcast. He was given a quick briefing of what questions will be asked by the host, Gemma, and he was left to make up some answers prior to it. He didn’t even know what number housemate he was, each housemate was brought to the building in a car only a half hour before they were to walk into the house.

He lost himself in thought for a fair few minutes, and only tuned in to reality at possibly the worst time.

His VT was now playing, and all of a sudden he had completely forgotten what he had said, with it being recorded a whole two months before the launch night. Connor could only hear parts of the VT, and the whole time he was dreading how the audience would react.

‘Hi, I’m Connor Ball, and I’m originally from Scotland but I’m shacked up in good old England’ he shuddered at his opening line, why did he have to try and sound so cool? It didn't work. At least in Connor’s opinion. It wasn't going too well.

‘Yeah, I’d say I was a pretty average guy, to be honest. I don’t try to be a player and I don’t try to be a Prince Charming’ he heard his past self say, and he shook his head disapprovingly. Why did he say that?

I’m definitely, one hundred percent single. I’m going into this with an open mind, if there’s a hot girl, I won’t lie and say I’m not going to go for it. Let’s hope the cameras don’t see everythingConnor punched himself lightly in the arm. He must be coming across awfully, he was probably coming across as an arrogant guy, and he hated his past self for it. 

The rest of the VT went by in a blur, as Connor tried to shake any negative thoughts out of his mind before the door opened in front of him.

“Well what about that, huh? Anyway, here’s your next housemate, it’s Connor!” Gemma proclaimed, and the door swivelled open at the end of her sentence.

“Good luck kid” a crew member told him as Connor took his first step, then the next, and following the same pattern until he reached the long runway he had to walk down to reach Gemma. The crowd, surprisingly, were producing an ear-blistering level of applause, and it did help him relax, just a little.

He could make out a chorus of female voices screaming his name at the top of their lungs, and just before he spoke with Gemma he took a cautious glance at the board where his VT was shown not a minute ago, to see what pictures and gif-type things were used to introduce him. Thankfully they weren’t too bad, and were as casual as he would’ve liked.

“Well Mr. Ball, there seems to be quite a lot of love for you tonight! How does it make you feel?” Gemma asked with a smile before handing the microphone to Connor.

“Uh, it’s kind of overwhelming, I won’t lie to you. I honestly thought I came across like a loser in that VT” he answered warily, trying not to say anything that would cause the cheers to turn to boos.  

“I don’t think you have to worry about that! We saw in your video that you said you’re not going to be hesitant when it comes to ‘hot girls’ in the house. Shall we expect a house romance with you?” she asked, and Connor felt his cheeks heat up.

The crowd began cheering even louder, encouraging a positive answer. “Whatever happens, happens” he answered simply, causing an eruption of ‘oooh’ from the crowd.

“Good answer. I think you’ll be a truly fantastic housemate. In you go, enjoy it. Connor Ball, everyone!” Gemma spoke for a final time, whilst gesturing him to ascend the stairs and into the house.

The crowd cheered extra loudly once Connor reached the top of the stairs, and spun around a final time to wave to the crowd, before walking into the house and the doors that closed behind him blocked out the noise.

The next set of stairs that he descended was a plush carpeted, winding one, and at reaching the bottom he was met with the sound of more crowd noise, obviously pre-recorded as it was significantly quieter than the crowd outside.

Connor took a look around the room he had entered, presumably the living room, as pristine sofas littered a large percentage of it, a TV placed on the wall central to them all. The kitchen was at the opposite end, not too far from the stairs. He took note of the wood flooring that started in the kitchen and ended at the tip of the last counter, the carpet cleverly being a very similar colour. Various doors leading to adjoining rooms were locked, and the windows that would presumably give a view of the garden were blocked out by a metal shutter.

With being so busy in his primary observations, Connor didn’t notice the two people sat on two of the sofas in the corner, who were now standing up and beginning to walk over to him. He met them halfway, and took in their appearances.

The female of the two was sporting a dark blue playsuit, her hair in soft curls. Her makeup was not too subtle and not too bold, very appropriate for the launch night of one of the biggest shows on television. She had a welcoming, friendly smile on her lips, which made for a fantastic first impression.

The male of the two was not much taller than the girl, and his blond hair was styled quite naturally, making Connor think he had let the hair team go a little too wild on his own hair. He wasn’t dressed up that much, a blazer over a dress shirt, much like Connor. Like the girl, he too had a welcoming smile, putting Connor at ease.

“So you’re number three?” the girl chuckled and held out a hand.

Connor shrugged. “I guess so” he answered also with a laugh.

“I’m Zoe” she introduced, and Connor leaned forward to kiss her on each cheek, as is customary in everyday greeting for some reason.

“Connor” he replied with another smile.

“Alright mate? I’m Joe” the boy introduced, and he and Connor shook hands.

In only a small exchange, Connor was thankful he was in the house with Zoe and Joe so far, they seemed nice and the fact they were the first ones in the house made sure that the awkwardness would be kept to a minimum, as they would have a chance to talk more as everyone else entered, and Connor wouldn’t be alone, which was a small worry in his mind.

“Oh, we should probably tell you, we’re siblings” Joe said casually whilst taking another sip of champagne, and gesturing between himself and Zoe.

“Cool, did you come in together then, or?” Connor asked inquisitively, and Zoe shook her head, playing with a lock of her hair as she explained.

“We didn’t actually know the other was going in the house. Kind of weird, isn’t it?”

Connor shrugged and helped himself to a glass of champagne, after Zoe had informed him that she doesn’t drink and he shouldn’t feel guilty about having two glasses worth of the bubbly liquid in a minute, he was simply having hers too.

The three sat back down on the sofas and chatted idly, none knowing when anyone else would be joining them.

“Do you know how many people are coming in here?” Connor asked out of the blue, his curiosity getting the better of him.

“I think I was told sixteen, did they tell you Zo?” Joe answered, looking to his sister for her input.

“Yeah I think that’s about right. To be honest I couldn’t take in much of what anyone was saying, I was so nervous. I just wanted to get it over with and get in the house, you know?” both Connor and Joe nodded in understanding.

With no technology allowed and no sense of time, the three were left to speculate the amount of time inbetween the other housemates’ arrivals.

“I think it’ll be another girl and she’ll be here in about… five minutes” Zoe guessed, and reached forward to grab the welcome book that at least one housemate should read on the first night.

“I hope so, there needs to be some eye candy coming in, surely. Oh, Con, if you try it on with my older sister… you have my blessing. Go nuts” Joe smirked as he took another sip of champagne. Connor blushed.

As Zoe was explaining some rules regarding evictions as told in the book, some very distant screams were heard, and with the sudden cold chill that took hold of the house, it was evident another housemate had entered.

Connor, Joe and Zoe all stood up to welcome the new arrival, and this one was a boy that looked barely older than Connor, and was around the same height. He scratched the back of his neck nervously as he looked around, and his eyes widened when he saw the other three staring back at him.

“Um, I’m Brad. Nice to meet you” he introduced himself to Joe, then to Connor, then to Zoe.

Connor handed him some champagne and then the four headed back to the sofas to get to know Brad a bit more before someone else was arriving.

“Did you get cheered a lot then mate?” Joe asked, and Brad smiled.

“Yeah, I have no idea why though. I made a real twat out of myself in the VT, I honestly wanted to punch myself” Brad explained.

“Me too, don’t worry about it” Connor assured him with a smile, which Brad returned.

Not much more conversation had time to be exchanged before the screams were heard again, and the four stood to greet the new housemate.

A woman made her way down the staircase confidently, beaming at everyone as she reached the bottom.

Zoe practically ran over to welcome her, glad to finally have some female company, and she introduced herself to everyone as Louise. The two immediately began complimenting the other’s hair and makeup, particularly the coloured ends of hair.

Connor got the immediate impression that Louise was the motherly type, and wasn’t surprised to hear later on that she had a young daughter on the outside.

The current housemates chatted amongst themselves until the next arrival, and Connor found he had a lot in common with Brad, as they spoke about their mutual taste in music and such. Louise found it amazing that siblings were in the house together, and immediately roped the other two into conversation.

The distant screams were once again heard and everyone stood up, to welcome the next housemate.

“This one was really quick after the last” Joe said from beside Connor.

“Another ad break must be due” Connor replied, and they both laughed.

The guy that came down the staircase next looked incredibly nervous and apprehensive, and kind of like he’d rather be anywhere else.

He made his way over to Zoe and Louise first and introduced himself, then made his way through the semi-circle shape the other housemates had somehow found their way into making.

“Hiya mate, I’m Connor” Connor introduced himself, taking note of how the other guy looked nervous about saying something first.

“Dan” the guy answered, and the two shook hands.

Connor was the last person that Dan had to introduce himself to, and the relief was evident in his expression.

“Is this where the awkward people stand? Because I think I’ll fit right in, if so” Dan asked Connor, to which he laughed heartily and nodded. Truth be told, Connor did feel like a sort of outsider in the house as it stood so far, with everyone deep in conversation with someone else except him, as Brad had now launched into conversation with Joe.

“Did you get cheered much?” Connor asked politely, already knowing the answer. The screams Dan had received on his way in was pretty much the same volume as his own, if not louder.

“I literally have no idea why. Maybe people just liked the many, many mistakes I insisted were kept in my VT” he answered with a shrug. “I’m just glad it’s over for a while” he added, and Connor nodded in agreement. The intensity of the crowd and the launch night itself was overwhelming for even the most confident of people.

They continued getting to know each other up until they – and all other housemates – were silenced by a booming voice that seemed to project from the ceiling.

“Can all housemates gather at the sofas immediately” it requested, and everyone did as it asked. Besides, if anyone dared to disobey, they faced the possibility of removal from the house, and with a cash prize at stake, nobody wanted that. Also airtime, but not everyone was too fussed about that, everyone knows how reality shows work.

Connor sat between Dan and Louise, and they chatted quietly until the voice began again.

“Housemates. Welcome to the newly refurbished house for the end of 2014 series. In the course of tonight, two more housemates will be joining you. However, you have a decision to make. You will collectively choose which two of your remaining housemates will join you tonight and have a last night of luxury with you, whilst the others will spend their last night in the outside world in a not so nice way. In a few seconds, the pictures of your remaining housemates will be displayed on the television screen in front of you. One of you will stand up and deliver the collective decision on which two housemates will be joining you tonight, and which will suffer a night of terror. You will have two minutes to make your decision. Good luck, housemates. Time starts now.”

An array of pictures flashed onscreen a split second later, and everyone took their time analysing each picture and deciding silently whom they would like to join the house. The only sound anyone heard was such as she looks nice or he looks like a laugh.

“We need a decision, guys” Brad reminded everyone, and Zoe placed her head in her hands.

“This is awful, I don’t want to do this” she told everyone, her voice muffled.

“We don’t even know their names, I find that worse, somehow” Louise commented.

“This is brutal” Dan added.

Connor decided to let everyone else decide, as he personally didn’t have a preference. He would have met everyone anyway by the same time the next day, and he was sure that the ‘night of terror’ would be a guilt trip and a mind game.

“Connor? What do you think?” someone asked, bringing him out of his daydream.

“You’re the only one that’s not said anything” Joe laughed, and Connor glanced at the pictures again, effectively diverting everyone’s attention to the same place and away from him.

The two minutes was dangerously close to ending, and they hadn’t come to a decision.

“Housemates. Your two minutes are up. Can one housemate please stand up and deliver the numbers of the two housemates you wish to join you in the house tonight, and which will spend a night of terror” the voice requested, and everyone looked at each other worriedly.

Connor knew very well that this would be shown live and everyone would now be watching them as it happens, and whoever is left to deliver the verdict will be seen as a bad guy. Not that he particularly cared, it’s just he would feel guilty if the role would be given to him.

“Housemates. One of you please stand up and deliver the collective decision” the voice demanded, sounding more annoyed than before, which was quite comical in Connor’s opinion.

Louise stood up all of a sudden, assuring everyone she was fine with it.

“Louise. Please give the number of the first housemate you wish to join you all in the house tonight” the voice asked, and Louise began to look panicked.

“Just say what you think, none of us mind” Zoe whispered supportively, and everyone nodded and smiled in reassurance.

‘I’m going to pick random numbers’ she mouthed back, her mouth shielded by her hand so the cameras weren’t likely to pick it up.

“Number… 9” she said, and the photograph labelled 9 disappeared from the television screen.

“Louise. Please give the number of the second housemate” the voice asked, and Louise took a deep breath.

“Number… 3” she answered, and the photograph labelled 3 also disappeared from the screen.

“Thankyou housemates, you are now free to leave the sofas” the voice dismissed, and everyone slowly started to disband and pick up conversation again.

Zoe and Louise went into the toilet to fix their makeup and presumably for Louise to let out her emotions to Zoe, as making that decision killed her, especially as her instinct, as she told everyone, is to protect them, not send them to a ‘night of terror’.

“That was harsh. I couldn't even look at who she picked” Brad told Connor as they sat back down on one of the sofas.

“I don’t think anyone did mate, it was horrible” Joe interjected, coming to join the conversation too.

“It’s going to be awkward when the others come in though, won’t it” Dan commented, addressing the elephant in the room everyone was trying to avoid as he sat beside Joe on the coffee table opposite Brad and Connor.

“I don’t think anything in here from now on will be ‘normal’ to be honest” Connor replied to everything said previously in the conversation, and the other boys nodded in agreement.

“I can’t help but wonder who the two are that are coming tonight though” Joe piped up after conversation had subsided.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thankyou so much for reading!

I'm so excited to finally be writing a crossover, and I hope that you continue to read it, i'll try to keep it as interesting as possible. And yes, this whole reality show concept might seem a tad familiar to you... But there will be differences to the reality show that this fic is loosely based on, I promise.

The Youtubers that star as housemates in this fanfic are ones that I watch myself, so I have a basic knowledge of their mannerisms and whatnot based on their Youtube personalities as seen in their videos. However, keep in mind that this is an AU, so not everything and everyone in this fic will be as it is/they are in real life. Oh, and none of the youtubers are actually youtubers in this story, and none of them apart from the Suggs know each other prior to entering the house.

I'd love if you would leave a vote and a comment letting me know what you thought and who you'd like to see as housemates, and comments are such lovely motivation.

I'm also thinking of making this story kind of interactive (for such as evictions) so let me know if you think it's a good idea - I can always ask other people to make those decisions if the comments don't pick up much, I just want to make this fanfic as enjoyable as possible for you all.

I'm not sure when the next update will be, i'll start writing when this chapter has a decent amount of reads, votes and comments I guess (appropriate tags will be added as more youtubers enter the story) or, i'll just write and update when the mood takes me, I don't know.

Please share this story in whatever way you can, it'd mean the world to me!

Thankyou again for reading, and sorry for the super long author's note xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.8K 508 27
you were just a friend of a friend, and now you're more than a friend. ❁ ❁ ❁ - james mcvey
96.4K 2.2K 58
𝐹𝑒𝑚𝑎𝑙𝑒 𝑂𝐶 𝑆𝑜𝑐𝑖𝑎𝑙 𝑀𝑒𝑑𝑖𝑎 & 𝑅𝑒𝑎𝑙 𝐿𝑖𝑓𝑒 ˚ ༘♡ ⋆。˚ೃ⁀➷ 𝑋𝑖𝑜𝑚𝑎𝑟𝑎 𝑀𝑖𝑟𝑎𝑛𝑑𝑎 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑛 𝑎...
14.3K 741 30
What if Brad didn't make it? What if Phoebe wasn't abused? What if they didn't meet? What if everything around them is a lie, and all they have is ea...
884 17 19
𝐖𝐲𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐂𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐲𝐧𝐧 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐭𝐰𝐢𝐧 𝐬𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫, 𝐂𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐞 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐢𝐬, 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩...