Bonded in the Silence: A Reyl...

By solarkind

《COMPLETE》The TROS ending we never got! The sparse remnants of the Resistance that fled from Crait slowly reb... More

Chapter 1: Glimpse
Chapter 2: Intersect
Chapter 3: Sworn
Chapter 4: Pain
Chapter 5: The Princess
Chapter 6: Recruits
Chapter 7: The Knights of Ren
Chapter 8: Broken Pieces
Chapter 9: In Dreams
Chapter 10: Arrival
Chapter 11: Rabid Cur
Chapter 12: Cell Block
Chapter 13: Ghosts
Chapter 14: Custody
Chapter 15: Chains
Chapter 16: Lure
Chapter 17: Crimson
Chapter 18: Sweetheart
Chapter 19: Underground
Chapter 20: Darkness
Chapter 21: Suffocate
Chapter 22: Exhale
Chapter 23: Conflict
Chapter 24: Recovery
Chapter 25: Between
Chapter 27: Training
Chapter 28: Traitor
Chapter 29: Within
Chapter 30: Surrender
Chapter 31: Undoing
Chapter 32: Enemies
Chapter 33: Twilight
Chapter 34: Resurrection
Chapter 35: Crossing
Epilogue

Chapter 26: Reunite

3.9K 115 71
By solarkind

"We have much to discuss, young Solo." Maz's voice was steady and unreadible, almost on the edge of scolding. Rey noticed Kylo did not correct how she addressed him.

The hue of her orange skin was amplified in the light of the sunrise. She gave a slight smile to Rey, before taking a sharp look with Kylo. "Come with me" she motioned to them as she turned to walk down the hill. Rey caught a glimpse of emotion on Ren's face as he forced himself upright and relaxed his shoulders back before marching forward with dignified steps.

Following close behind, there was a moment of confusion for Rey as she analyzed his reaction to Maz calling him by his given name.

But of course...she must have known him as a boy.

Rey imagined a young Ben Solo, travelling with his father, a famous smuggler aboard the Millenium Falcon. All the things he must have seen while he travelled with Han on missions or tasks, and he would have perhaps even piloted the Millenium Falcon at some point. How many times did they have to see Maz or approach her for a favour? Had he ever been to Jakku in her time? There was a flutter in her stomach as she imagined how she may get to hear some of his past, how everything was connected in his life for him. She wanted to understand him better, the path of his choices beyond the event with Luke Skywalker.

"And Han Solo, you feel like he's the father you've never had. He would have disappointed you."

She keenly remembered the words he'd spoken so close to her ear in the interrogation chair aboard the First Order vessel where he had awakened the force inside her, forcing her to access her connection with it. 

They crested the hill and descended the other side, having arrived at the former castle of Maz, still a ruined fortress in the middle of a rubble clearing. Rey hardly spent time on the surface of Takodana once the rebels quietly stole away to hide here, in a protected and covered underground base. There were so few times that she made it up to the castle, and it was brief when it did happen, as they had to jump aboard an approved freighter to leave on any recruiting missions from here without being tracked.

Rey had a feeling this was going to be a very serious conversation, as they walked among the remnants of the castle, and walked up the steps inside. The interior was mostly untouched in the main foyer and cleaned out of broken pieces of the ceiling. It was well kept, but damaged. Maz had meant to keep it this way and not rebuild so that the First Order would not suspect old operations were continuing here.

Maz waited for them at a simple round table in the foyer, plenty of empty seats were still left around them, and it pained Rey's heart to remember how busy things were here in the past for Maz. It was good business in those times.

Ren moved to take a seat at the table, pulling one out slightly for Rey. Maz took  seat herself across from Ren, leaning forward on her elbows, arms crossed one over another as she peered through her thick goggles at Kylo Ren.

"You're taller" she said flatly.

"And older" Ren said in return.

A slight smile again on her face "But not wiser".

"You can't be so sure of that" Ren said mildly.

"You've certainly grown into manhood well, and handsome as ever" she stated with raised eyebrows. "There's something else about you I can't quite ascertain either."

Rey was surprised. Was Maz teasing Kylo? His face showed just the slightest blush of pink for a moment, but Rey detected that it was mostly due to Rey's presence during this conversation.

"We're here to discuss the universal problem we are all about to face." He was right to the point.

Maz waited for him to say more.

It was his turn to lean forward. "Rey needs to know the history of Darth Sidious, who became Emperor Palpatine. What do you remember from his time?"

Maz blinked sporadically in response to his question before she sat up as tall as she possibly could.

"Remember?" Rey asked in a confused tone.

Maz's eyes went to Rey as she bowed her head for a moment solemnly, suddenly appearing very tired. "Child, I am over a thousand years old. The time of Emperor Palpatine feels like yesterday for myself."

Rey was in awe, now looking at Maz with a new respect with this information.

"Darth Sidious, as you know, was Anakin's Sith master. He lured Anakin to the Dark Side during his time serving as a member of the Senate. He corrupted his mind, and Anakin slaughtered the Jedi in the Temple, and the Masters of the Council. Darth Sidious went on to form the first Galatic Empire, and crowned himself as Emperor Palpatine. He was ruthless and merciless, power-hungry and without compassion for anyone."

Rey listened intently to her words, fully enveloped in the re-telling of history that was deeply connected to Kylo Ren.

"Leia and Han did pass on that to me as a teenager before I trained under Luke." Ren looked down at the table between them before looking directly at Maz. "Palpatine has returned. He's discovered how to transfer his consciousness into both force and non-force users in order to extend his life."

Maz sat back in her chair, a concerned expression on her face as she adjusted her goggles again. Her small, orange hands came together pensively under her chin as she considered his words.

"He's currently residing in a General of the First Order named Armitage Hux. His powers transferred perfectly, and he is now in command of both the First Order, and two Knights of Ren."

For the first time ever, Rey saw fear trickle into the eyes of Maz, amplified by the thickness of her goggles. Fear and bad memories that still lingered in her consciousness of battles long ago.

"He will devastate us all" she warned. "And continue to rule over us for eternity if he has the ability to live beyond us."

There was a moment of silence as they all considered the outcome of the threat. 

Rey tilted her head toward Ren. "Did you come here because you want to...help the Resistance?" A small flame of hope ignited in her heart at the prospect of him coming to the Resistance. Maybe he was finally considering turning to the Light?

His left eyebrow raised slightly as he looked at Rey. "In order for us to even board a First Order vessel in one piece, we're going to need alot more ships."

It was an answer, but it still sidestepped answering the question. Something she noticed he did often. That particular answer reminded her of Han Solo, and there was some of his father in him at last.

Us? She projected the word from her mind.

And the Knights, he answered her in return.

"How interesting" Maz's robust voice interrupted their connection with a satisfied look on her face, "when I'd heard of what happened to your father, I did not think you would be capable of changing. I see I was mistaken for losing hope."

Ren swallowed, and his left fist noticeably clenched at his thigh from Rey's view before it relaxed. She knew he was burying his feelings, whether they were guilt or self-loathing, and putting them away before he lost his temper. Ren did not deny her observation either.

Maz raised a small hand and snapped her fingers sharply. A guard in light garb turned the corner, a large energy rifle in his hands.

"Bring me the Resistance commanders at once" she ordered, watching the guard leave. 

"While we're waiting, I also have something for you" Maz said with a look. She reached under the table, and with a grunt she hoisted up a familiar brown chest onto the table. Dust sprinkled everywhere as it landed on the table top.

Ren's brow crinkled as he reached forward to flip the latch on the chest, and lifted it open.

Rey nearly jumped out of her chair to back away from the table. It was the chest that had the lightsaber in it when she'd followed the sound of a child down the steps of the castle. The chest that had brought her the awful, disorientating vision of someone calling her name, and then appearing in the rain to see Kylo Ren. She recalled how his head flicked toward her and he seemed to walk in her direction.

Maz and Ren stopped to stare at her.

"That chest" she sputtered "belongs to YOU?"

Ren regarded her before turning to Maz. "How did you come to receive this?"

"I can't quite remember" she said, leaning back in her chair. "It came with some other remnants of Luke's temple...after it was destroyed."

"I...saw you, after I touched the saber that was in it" Rey continued to say, obviously in shock at the connection of the chest. "In the rain, with the Knights."

Rey's head was spinning.

It is you.

At that moment, there was the sound of feet pounding the stones of the steps, fast approaching in their haste. All three of them turned their heads to see two figures racing up into the castle. Rey recognizing their silhouettes, jumping up to meet them. 

The relieved faces of Finn and Poe came into the low light, beaming joyously as they saw Rey. Finn dashed forward to scoop her up in a whirlwind hug, and Rey couldn't help but let out a gleeful giggle. He put her down on her feet after two spins, and left Rey facing Poe.

The handsome pilot always paid her too much attention, pursued her company, and always smiled warmly at her. He hugged her tightly and put a hand on her lower back. Rey felt the bond light up like an inferno at that moment.

"Whoa, hey!" Finn exclaimed in angry surprise as he laid eyes on Kylo who rose to his feet. He scrambled to find his gun on his hip as Poe's hand grabbed Rey around the waist, twisting with her against him to the side as he raised his blaster.

"Wait!" she screamed at them, trying pitifully to force Poe's arm down. 

"What the hell is he doing here, Maz?" Poe asked, his eyes staring down the barrel never leaving Kylo.

"He's with me! He's come to negotiate a compromise" Rey explained desperately.

I hope.

"Rey" Poe's voice almost trembled, "this guy tortured me for information. He put Finn in treatments for over a week. He killed his own father, and he kidnapped you. Why should we trust him?"

"Because he killed Snoke to save me" Rey insisted "and now a Sith Lord far worse than him has taken over the First Order. I think you should at least listen to what he has to say."

Finn's jaw was set squarely as he squinted at Kylo, breathing heavily with the adrenaline that had kicked in. His blaster was also aimed at Kylo now, finger lingering over the trigger.

"Finn, please...trust me."

Poe's fingers were still firmly dug in to her waist, but she felt them rip away from the fabric as his arm muscles shook, resisting against being pushed away. Poe grunted with effort, and Rey looked to Kylo whose hand was clearly articulating and directing the pilot's arm. The bond simmered despite his cool and concentrated expression. A moment passed before Poe was able to shake out his arm finally.

"He saved my life again yesterday, and he brought me here. He could have taken me to the First Order and that would have been the end, but he didn't."

"Finn..." Rey pleaded quietly. He turned his chin toward her; her genuine truthfulness caused his shoulders to sag forward, muttering under his breath as he lowered his blaster.

Poe looked at Finn in disbelief, but when he saw he was now the only one holding a blaster, he hesitantly put it back to the holster on his hip. 

"This better be worthwhile" Poe said in a low voice.

*

After hours of negotiating, Rey finally stepped out onto the stones outside of the castle's doorway into the midday sun. She shivered in the presence of its golden warmth; the back of her neck was coated in cold, clammy sweat as a general feeling of malaise had settled on her during the discussion. Perhaps she hadn't eaten enough today.

She walked down the steps, making her way to the ground still surrounded by the debris of the original structure, walking in a daze as her thoughts tried to comprehend the agreements that had been made around the table.

"Once under my leadership," Kylo explained, "the First Order will undergo lawful negotiations with the Resistance to protect the weaker systems, and help implement programs to rebuild peace. I can authenticate the declaration here with this seal ring."

"What is the role of the Resistance in this event?" Poe asked.

"Diversion. We need to board the Finalizer in order to reach Palpatine."

"And the crew?"

"Myself, four Knights of Ren, and Rey."

"And me" Finn added with a glare.

"I can lead the pilots," Poe offered, "but we'll need to scrounge together some borrowed ships. We'll need the rest of the day to get everything together."

"We'll be lucky if we get that long" Maz worried.

A breeze picked up around Rey, blowing her robes behind her legs as the baby hairs around her face tickled her ears and neck. Combined with the sun's warmth and the earthy scents in the wind, it was a perfectly peaceful moment to bask in. Rey closed her eyes as she continued her walk.

Reaching the edge of the trees, Ren's voice nagged her in the back of her head.

You need to eat something.

Rey pivoted slowly to see him far away, standing on the steps of the castle with what appeared to be a large plate of fruit and bread. Would she never be rid of him?

His brows were pulled together and the wind caught waves of his dark hair as he descended the steps. His long legs carried him swiftly across to her, where he handed her the heavy plate.

"Maz sent it" he said with a soft look. Rey noticed, avoiding his gaze as she picked up a small, soft piece of purple fruit and popped it into her mouth. The flavour was exquisite compared to that nutrient bar she'd wolfed down in the morning. She realized then how starved she was, and proceeded to bite into one of the bread rolls. 

There was a flash of amusement on his lips as he walked on past her into the trees, and she nearly rolled her eyes realizing she was about to follow him again into the very forest he'd plucked her from the first time. The irony was not lost on her.

They walked on an unmarked trail for awhile, the chirping of local birds overhead as they zoomed in and out of the treetops where the sunlight peaked in. It was cooler in the forest where everything was protected from direct sunlight and the air was dewy still from the morning.

Rey devoured more than half the tray by the time Ren had slowed down to a small clearing in the trees, and turned to face her. 

"Palpatine was known for his way with words, and the ability to twist them and manipulate one's emotions. He will try to use your feelings, Rey. You are strong, but you are not fully trained, and it can only benefit you to learn some mental exercises in order to fight him up here." Ren touched his forefinger to his temple.

Rey winced at the memory of her head feeling like it was being squeezed open by Snoke and couldn't imagine going through that again. "I guess I can agree to learning that."

"We can start here when you are finished eating."

Rey nodded in agreement as she bit into an apple, wiping the juice on her lip her with one forearm as she chewed furiously. The apple was devoured entirely another moment later, and Rey set the plate and remaining food on a nearby downed tree trunk.

She was about to say something before he spoke again.

"There's one more thing" Ren said, stepping very close to her and motioning for her hand. 

She hesitated, frozen with the fear of what he might do once he had her hand. Everything about him terrified her in the strangest way, like she was the cusp of everything she was missing in her life, and yet she wasn't all together completely sure. His sureness was always so forthright.

She slowly offered her hand into his, and there was that electric tingle again she thought she had felt before, tickling her palm before travelling deep into her flesh to reverberate against the bone and all the way to her core. It was as if all her being wanted to sing in joy for the completeness that the sensation gave; it was like no other she had ever experienced. She liked it when he wasn't wearing his gloves. 

Ren locked eyes with her, and she saw something stir in the depths of his gaze as he turned her hand over palm side up. 

Don't be afraid, I feel it too.

Gently placing something in her palm, he closed her fingers around it before she could see before reluctantly releasing her.

She eyed him curiously as she opened her fingers to reveal the blue, fractured kyber crystal. It was the fragment that had passed through the bond the evening she tried to repair the hilt.

"We can replace the amber stone in the lightsaber you have."

Her eyes welled up suddenly, realizing she would have the lightsaber - his lightsaber - as her own again.

Rey clenched the fragment in her fist against her chest as she tried to suppress her emotions. 

"Are you trying to gain my trust?" she almost whispered, and noticed he was a touch closer than before.

"I have been since you showed up in a pod on my ship" he answered very seriously, that beckoning look returning to his eyes that conveyed the same please she'd heard from him before. She noticed how subtle the vibration of the bond had started out here, but now it was making waves back and forth between her and Ren, beating each of their shores with equal fervour. 

Her heart was beating madly in her chest, the roar of each heartbeat deafening in her ears as her face grew hot; the distance closed further as Ren bent his head down, eyes glancing to her mouth in the last couple inches between them.

"Rey!" Poe's voice called out in the forest behind them, interrupting the moment entirely. Rey jumped at the sound and turned to the trees, seeing flashes of his jacket among the trees as he made his way through, breathing a sigh of relief for the welcome distraction.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33K 864 30
𝐼 𝒸𝒶𝓃'𝓉 𝓈𝑒𝑒 𝓂𝑒 𝓁𝑜𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓃𝑜𝒷𝑜𝒹𝓎 𝒷𝓊𝓉 𝓎𝑜𝓊, 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝒶𝓁𝓁 𝓂𝓎 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒... My spin on the events of The Umbrella Academy, Seaso...
176K 3.3K 29
He got up, and took off his shirt, revealing his abs. "W-What are you doing?" He smirked. "I thought I'd get changing," He replied. "Why? Does the t...
389K 10.3K 50
After Crait, the Resistance is all but decimated. It will take time before they regain the strength and numbers to be anything more than an annoyance...
583K 13K 40
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.