The Ebb & The Flow (Boy x Boy)

By PleasantMajority

A slice of life? A coming of age? This story follows two teens Wyatt, a seemingly mute boy. And River, your a... More

Chapter 1: The Flow
Chapter 2: The Ebb
Chapter 3: Head in the clouds
Chapter 4: Lover Boy
Chapter 5: 24/7/365
Chapter 6: Sweet Like Candy
Chapter 7: Orpheus
Chapter 8: If Only
Chapter 9: Barricades
Chapter 10: Sunny Side
Chapter 11: Teenage Blue
Chapter 12: Puchito
Chapter 13: Apollo
Chapter 14: Firsts For Everything
Chapter 15: The Shadows
Chapter 16: My Heart and My Car
Chapter 17: Warned You
Chapter 18: Lover
Chapter 19: I Love You So
Chapter 20: Unbothered
Chapter 21: Sweet Marie
Chapter 22: Bad Girl
Teasers: Only In The Dark
Q&A

Chapter 23: One Last Time

1 0 0
By PleasantMajority

A/N: I've been an emotional wreck over these characters. Sure we'd just seen a snapshot of their lives and experiences. But I personally have loved every single last awkward bit of their attempt at love. And I hope you all have too! There will be one more chapter after this with teasers for the sequel. So be on the lookout for that!

*******************

Wyatt:

"You look fine kiddo." My father assured me as I adjusted my bowtie for what felt like the millionth time tonight.

"You don't understand. This is a big deal to me this time." I told him, rolling my eyes at his chuckle as he rummaged through his pockets.

"Remember to use this." My father told me, my eyes landing on a small golden square of foil that I recognized as a condom. I instantly felt my cheeks heat up and heart hammer in my chest.

"Dad." I groaned in complaint, taking it from him quickly. He however was humored, eyes twinkling how I was told mine would.

"I want you safe in more ways than one. A teacher of yours lost his life just this morning out on the road. So you and your date need to stay together at all times. And be responsible." My father explained; reminding me of my talks of safety with Aaron and Sherri.

       My gaze dropped as the news we'd heard this morning played over the intercom and was already in the town paper. Mr. Green was found in the treeline of a road. He'd apparently not worn his seatbelt and was ejected from his car through the windshield. Since I hadn't revealed what he'd done to me to my father I just pretended to be sad. Even though deep down I felt a sense of relief to not have to look over my shoulder.

     Though details of his death seemed really convenient. And with Cruz disappearing early this morning I knew he'd had something to do with it. But that was the least of my worries right now. Just as my father was about to say something more the doorbell rang.

"That's probably my beanstalk." I told my father, pecking him on the cheek and giving him a hug.

"Alright, alright. Have fun and be safe." My father said to me.

"Love you too." I told him with a chuckle as I headed for the door.

      Opening it revealed a rather dapper looking River, looking good in his tux.

"You've learned a lot about style from me." I grinned.

"Y-yeah." He stammered, holding out his hand for me to take.

      As we headed down to his car I got up on my toes as we walked to our ride to give him a kiss on the cheek. River being more refined than he gave himself credit for, rubbed small and rather soothing circles on the back of my hand that was linked in mine. His aged 60s mustang was cleaned up to the best of its abilities; what bits of paint still shined were buffed to perfection. He released my hand, the chill of the night air hitting my palm as I expected what he was in the act of doing. He opened the passenger side door for me, waiting for me to slip inside. We were running a bit late. Sherri and Sam left ahead of us to the formal. River climbed into the car beside me, sporting his signature nervous smile.

"I'm all yours tiger." I crooned softly, my tone teasing as he started up his car.

      He seemed nervous and rigid the entire ride there. Then again I was nervous too. Sure we'd been on dates but we'd never done something intimate like a formal dance. He pulled into the gym's parkinglot, gently stopping my hand when I went for my seatbelt.

"I'll get it." He told me, slipping out of the car and strolling over to my side of the car. He opened my door, offering his arm for me to take. I hooked mine with his, stepping out of the car as we walked arm in arm towards the gym.

"So have you thought of what we were doing after?" I asked, feeling quite nervous. People typically lost virginities at these kinds of things; well after them.

"I don't know yet." He replied, his gaze forward facing. I spotted Braden and his dorks ahead of us, understanding why he seemed tense right now.

"I'll literally kick their asses if they mess up this night for us." I cooed to River, getting his attention as he looked down at me with a small smile.

      He seemed to be in a bad mood. I wanted to ask. But I don't think now was the time. We entered the gym, showing our student ID's when it was our turn in line. The writhing mass of bodies and slow music was what one would typically expect. I remembered my first fall formal freshman year. I went alone and proceeded to never go a year since. River lead the way through the crowd until we found somewhere relatively vacant.

"I-i've never done this before." He admitted with a sheepish grin.

"I'll lead. I just hate that i'm so short compared to you right now." I huffed, casting my gaze down at my black studded loafers. I felt warm hands rest on my shoulders as I looked up to meet River's gaze.

       He didn't see how perfect he actually was. He had handsome features and height most girls our age would kill to be with. His eyes were the warmest shade of hazel; one of them having a heterochromic  sliver of green in. I could just get lost in those alone. His personality was a cherry on top honestly. No, actually his looks were the cherry on top.

"I love everything about you Wy-Wy." He assured me as my hands came to rest on his shoulders as well.

"Your height is adorable." He began, his hands drifting down my shoulders slowly.

"You have the most aesthetically pleasing body i'd ever seen. Every curve and part is beautiful." He whispered softly as his relatively large hands slipped down to grip my ass.

"And i'd be lying if I said I didn't look at this whenever you'd be in front of me." He smiled softly as he gave my cheeks a squeeze that had my heart racing in every good way imaginable.

"You're kind and smart. Compassionate and caring. Like a warm patch of sunshine." He smiled as we slowly began swaying to the soft song playing. It sounded familiar until I remembered it as a song he'd played when we were up on Pleasant Peak together.

"This isn't a popular song. Did you request it?" I questioned as his hold on me became more appropriate so chaperones wouldn't scold us.

"I thought you liked it?" He asked, seeming unsure.

"I love it." I smiled, resting my head against his chest as we just rocked to the music. 

      I just melted away to the song, listening and hanging onto every single lyric. Sure it was about a broken heart. But something about it had a sweetness unlike anything else i'd ever heard. No one i'd rather have by my side tonight the song crooned. And truer words couldn't ever be spoken. I loved everything about this boy I held in my arms; no he was deserving of being called a man. He'd found me when I was a mess, seen me at some of my darkest moments and still saw value in me. Maybe one day I could make him believe that I was the one batting out of my league. Sure I had my looks but other than that I was a mess and I knew it.

       Our embrace and swaying wore on song after song. Luckily they were mostly slow. Sure we'd gotten here a bit late but they'd be playing all the slow songs to calm the rowdy teens inhabiting this space. I felt River sigh against the top of my head as he'd rested his chin there. He pulled away and our dancing paused as I stared up at him. Would we be going far tonight? I wanted to give myself to him at this point. He'd more than earned it.

"I love you so much." He said simply, tears brimming in his eyes.

"What's wrong?" I asked, worried as I wiped away a tear that had escaped.

"I-I-I-..." He stammered, his voice trailing off.

"We can ditch this place." I told him, taking his hand and getting a nod of compliance from him as I pulled him through the crowd until we entered the empty halls of the school. 

      It was odd being here so late. The halls being so lifeless. We roamed the corridors until we entered the cafeteria.

"So what's up?" I asked him as he released my hand, pacing around like a caged animal. I was worried instantly. He'd been acting weird since yesterday. Sure he'd had his moments of sweetness. But he'd be staring off at nothing, looking lost.

"If it's Br-" I began but I was cut off when he froze, turning to stare at me with a haunted look in his eyes.

"I'm breaking up with you." He said; or at least that's what I thought he said.

"Huh?" I asked innocently.

"I...I'm breaking up with you." He said again, casting his gaze down at the floor and quite literally refusing to look at me.

      My heart lurched in my chest as I swore it felt like I was being impaled and having the beating organ ripped from my being.

"Please tell me you're joking?" I asked, still wondering if I'd heard things wrong.

"I said what I said and I meant it Wyatt." River spoke again, his voice shaky as he finally met my hurt gaze with one of his own.

"Why are you doing this? Was I not enough. I'm sorry." I rambled, feeling as if I'd just been dealt a grievous wound. I felt like I was bleeding out heavily with no hope of survival.

"Maybe. Or maybe its just me." He said simply, driving yet another stake down into my heart that felt like it would just shatter into pieces at this rate.

      I quite literally recoiled away from his words, staggering back a bit and clutching at my heart as if that'd stop it from crumbling. I saw a hand of his reach out for me. I swatted it away, putting even more space between us.

"I don't think we should see one another anymore." He sighed, rubbing his face as my already cloudy vision clouded even more with tears.

      I looked down at my wrist that had the bracelet he'd given me on it. I reached in with my other hand, unclipping the dainty piece of metal. I threw what was equivalent to a feather at him with all I had, refusing to let tears fall over someone like him. I thought he was forthright. That he'd always be there. Just when I thought about how perfect he was. How he gave me butterflies.

"Fuck...You. River." I panted as I tried to contain the torrent of emotions i'd felt.

       I spun on my heels, not able to be in his presence anymore. That sensation of slowly bleeding out came back as I quickly made my way out of the school, leaving school grounds still clutching at my chest as if that would ease the pain. It didn't even help psychologically. But I felt like if I released it i'd suddenly die. No tears would be shed over someone who's hurt me like this. I refused it outright. I kept my pace brisk as made it home relatively quickly despite not being able to run in these shoes. I saw my dad was gone, likely at work and the car of Aaron's babysitter in the driveway.  I paused outside the front door, pulling out my phone to use the camera to get an idea as to how I looked.

      My eyes were red and nose slightly ruddy from both the cold and feeling like breaking down.

"Fuck it." I huffed softly to myself.

      I entered home, walking into the living room where Aaron and the babysitter were.

"I've got it from here." I said, slightly surprised that the words left me so effortlessly. Maybe it was the immense pain and lack of patience?

       The elderly woman looked up at me, pinching Aaron's cheek as she got up to leave.

"He's all taken care of for the night. Just needs to go to bed." She told me, oblivious to the collapse of my heart and mind.

      When she'd left Aaron turned to look at me. I instinctively looked away. No matter what I never let my younger siblings see me like this. I only found it acceptable that I was the one there to comfort them.

"What happened Wy-Wy?" Aaron asked innocently. Something about his words caused me to break and crumble. I wasn't able to hold back the deluge of feelings as I crumpled to my knees softly sobbing. 

     I buried my face in my hands at one last shot at composure. But no matter how many times I tried to draw the emotion back in, the rain of tears kept falling. It wasn't long until I felt the arms of my little brother wrap around my shoulders.

"You never cry on us. But we're always crying on you Wy-Wy." Aaron said softly as he rubbed my back.

"I-I'm okay." I tried assuring him, though my voice clearly was screaming otherwise. I wasn't okay. I felt like my heart had been torn from my chest and torn to shreds before the remains were stomped on.

"Wanna talk about it?" Aaron asked, pulling my hands away from my face.

"No." I refused stubbornly.

      I wasn't sure how long we spent down there on the floor. But when he did convince me to go to sleep getting up I nearly ate shit as my legs were asleep. I was so worn out from all the crying I'd did that I fell asleep fast. The remainder of that school year was painful at first. I think first loves were always hard. And having yourself be gutted like that wasn't easy. River and I didn't speak at all since he dumped me. Sure we'd see one another in passing but not a word was exchanged. It was like we were strangers in a dream. Like the time we shared didn't happen at all.

       It wasn't without my own mistakes that year though. I still loved River despite him ripping out my heart. Luckily I didn't have to see him fall in love with someone else. But I did however find Braden and his goons after school one and beat them black and blue for hurting River with Joshua's help. At this point in time all I had to do was live the rest of my life. College was just months away and I'd probably never see River again.

       Who knew that night would be the one last time I saw him the same.

**********************

A/N: Annnnd it's over! I had a few alternate endings to this book that i'll briefly discuss in the Q&A chapter. Though that will come after the teasers. But they will however be released on the same day. The Ebb & The Flow has been such a refreshing book for me to write. And I hope it has been the same for you all! Everything from the soundtrack to the characters were all things I loved. And I hope that too was something you all enjoyed as well! Until next time my loves!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

304 14 7
MATURE CONTENT This book is intended for 18 and older The boys' relationship is growing closer as their summer of freedom comes to an end. Real life...
8.2K 531 30
Oliver doesn't know what hit him when he sees Baby Parker singing his heart out in a bar one fateful Saturday night. Maybe it's destiny, maybe it's l...
395K 15.1K 28
*DISCLAIMER: I WROTE THIS DURING A TIME WHEN MY WRITING WAS NOT VERY GOOD. IF THINGS SEEM AS IF THEY ARE NOT THOUGHT OUT PROPERLY THAT IS WHY Colin w...
1.5K 222 27
A story of two boys who wanted to stop existing but end up learning to live for each other.