Emotionless: Spock x Reader

By RiverSong1996

An emotionless girl works in the science division of the USS Enterprise under the command of Captain Kirk. Sh... More

Shore Leave
Galileo
Questions and Answers
I'm trying to work
Paradise and a Smile
Silicon
A day in the Enterprise
Ultra Violet
Fight to Death
Wake up Call
Universe Two
Transmission from an Admiral
Delegates
Universe Two- Kahn's Wrath
How to ask a Question?
Old Fears Resurface
I need you
Tribble of a Mess
Big Problems
Too Close to Home
Galaxy Trouble
Kohns vs Yangs
M-5
M-5 pt. 2
Don't Go
A Harsh Reality
Beginnings of Exhaustion
I'm Breaking, Shattered, Tired
Obelisk
Universe Two, Rescue Mission

The Apple's of Paradise

1.2K 37 18
By RiverSong1996

It's been about... three months since I was permitted to start work again. I documented the Hamster like creature and have named it a Figura Mendax. Seeing as I already had an effective anti-venom there was no reason for me to work on creating a new one. Spock has also been asking me to go out to lunch with him on several occasions. I politely as I could declined until Kirk practically ordered me to accept. He wanted me to do other things than just work, read, and sleep as he put it. "Hanging out with Mr. Spock, McCoy, Scotty, and Chgeckov is to become a weekly routine for you. That's an order." He had said to me while I was working on a new fuel source.

So When I didn't have work, because my workload had been cut in half, I went to Engineering and Sickbay every two days. I helped Scotty or McCoy with their work and had lunch or dinner with either Spock or Checkov. It was tiring quickly. Even playing Chess with Spock was boring. I managed to win nine times of ten when we played. The other game landed in a stalemate. Today though there was work to do.

I followed McCoy and two security officers down to the planet's surface. My tricorder in hand I waited to beamed down. I looked around at all of the Flora wondering what kind of reedings I would get from it. "Well, I might just stake out a claim and settle down here, Jim."

I hummed just wondering where I was going to start. "It is spectacular." Kirk said as I turned to the soil. For plants like this I was curious to see what kind of soil there was.

McCoy looked like he'd found paradise. "It's a shame to have to intrude." The soil itself was rich in nutrients.

Spock seemed to notice my interest in the soil's contents. "Well, the last scout ship reported some pretty strange sensor readings. Starfleet wants it investigated and the inhabitants contacted. We do what we're told."

That said I walked over to their group. "Right, just be careful. The soil here is remarkably rich and fertile. Plus, no matter how many planets we find like this one there is usually something wrong with them. And as much as I would love to take a sample aboard for further analysis I don't think it to be wise. Still, husbandry from the soil would be quite efficacious."

That said I let the soil run through the gaps in my fingers back to the ground. "What do you think of her analysis, Mr. Spock?" Kirk turned to Spock, who was now staring at me for whatever reason. His head jerked in Kirks direction upon hearing his name.

He had been staring at me more and more lately. I couldn't understand it. "Yes, I would say so. Readings indicate the entire planet is covered with growth like this. Curious, even at the poles there's very little variation in temperature, which maintains a planet-wide average of seventy-six degrees."

I clicked my tongue to that. "That is an almost impossibility. I would like to know what kind of field or technology the planet is using to achieve such a feat."

After I said that Checkov came walking up with a bundle of leaves in his hand. "Makes me homesick. Just like Russia." I raised a brow. Having been to Russia a few times I knew there were a few places that had a beautiful atmosphere to them.

McCoy of course seemed to disagree with that. "More like the Garden of Eden, Ensign." Checkov agreed, apparently it was just outside Moscow. To that I raised a brow. Not something I had been expecting... but this was Checkov, he had a lot of weird misconceptions about such things. I found it quite fascinating. That said there was a village close to where we were. About seventeen kilometers away from our current location.

We started out when one of the men in red called out to us. The next second he was shot... by a purple hued flower. When he started to fall Kirk caught him. McCoy made his way over quickly but the man was dead. I moved to stand next to Spock, Curious about the flower. "What did somebody say, that paradise must have looked like this?" I let McCoy handle getting the spines that came from the flower out. I would love to analyze them to see what kind of fast acting poison they used. Kirk walked away to call the ship, letting them know to beam the body up. After a few moments Spock went to Kirk with his tricorder readings. This entire planet was an enigma. Kirk sent the others away towards the village, telling them to be careful. Spock on the other hand seemed to see something. I noticed and made my way over to them. "What is it?"

Spock didn't look at Kirk. "There's a humanoid hiding directly behind us, moving with remarkable agility, bearing one-eight." As he spoke. it was low, more than likely to avoid causing suspicion to whatever was behind us. Kirk moved away with a few of the security officers. Checkov came over to ask what was going on. "A visitor. One wanting to retain his anonymity, I should say." I shrugged moving to catch-up with the others.

Kirk came back around just as Chekov was having a moment with the other girl. "Mister Chekov. I know you find each other fascinating, but we're not here to conduct a field experiment in human biology." Chekov covered his ass by going off to take some readings. "Whatever it is, it moves like a cat." McCoy didn't like this. But to be fair there was a lot he didn't like. "Neither do I. All hands. We've been watched, we'll probably be watched. We're moving out. Formation L." I quickly fell in line just behind Spock.

Keeping my eyes peeled for any sort of danger. Instead we ran into some strange objects. Spock picked one up. I moved to see whatever it was. "Interesting. Extremely low specific gravity. Some uraninite, hornblende, and quartz if I'm not mistaken." He glanced to me, I just nodded basically stating that he was correct. "Fragile, good cleavage. An analysis should prove interesting, Ms. (Y/n)." He chucked a large chunk away yet as it hit the ground it exploded. Spock quickly covered me as I covered my eyes.

It was a few seconds before the explosion died down. "Would you be careful where you throw your rocks Mr.Spock?"

I pushed Spock off of with a slight scowl. "It's obviously highly unstable, Captain. This could potentially be a find of some great importance. In larger quantities it could be considered a source of power.. Perhaps even a weapon?" I muttered looking it over carefully. How I would love to get it to my lab.

Kirk looked off into the distance a bit. "A Garden of Eden... with land mines." Spock carefully laid it back on the ground and we started moving again. Scotty checked in on us later, the anti-matter pods were completely inert. Something down here caused it. Whatever it was, was located in the village we were heading to. We needed to see if we could find out what was going on on our end. As Kirk walked over to McCoy who was examining the spines, I noticed another one of those flowers.

The only reason I saw it was because it was moving to take aim. Spock moved to push Kirk out of the way and I moved to get him out of the way. He was looking at me with wide eyes. A few of the spines had buried themselves in my arm. The same one that had been bitten three months ago. "(Y/n)!" He caught my arm as I started to fall, holding me up as my knees hit the dirt. I think I might have blacked out for a few seconds.

When I came to I was being carried on Spock's back. I blinked a few times so that my vision cleared. "Captain?" Spock stopped mid step so that he could set me down. Kirk whirled round to look at me.

His hand reaching out for me to grasp if I needed. I held up my hand to let him know I was fine. "(Y/n)... you all right?" I nodded seconds before he hit me over the head. I yelped pressing my hands against the back of my head and looking to him. "Just what do you think you were trying to do?"

I tilted my head slightly and lowered my hands. "I surmised that with Spock's awareness of the plant, he would try to push you out of the way. You are after all the captain, so it was logical. But I saw the probability of him not moving away from the spines in time. With him being the second officer it would be bad if he were to go down as well... so I-"

He cut me off. "Decided to push Spock out of the way while miscalculating the height of the plant. You managed to avoid the majority of them by not stepping directly in the line of fire. If it had gone according to plan you wouldn't have been hit, but you didn't have time to correctly estimate the height." I nodded. "I see... well next time just pull him out of the way. Should Mr. Spock try to do something as stupid as that again. You're going to get yourself killed. Do you know how much Starfleet has invested in you?"

I thought for a moment. "Approximately, seventy-one thousand one hundred and-" Kirk stopped me from continuing. A storm seemed to come out of nowhere. EVeryone looked up as lightning struck, I flinched. That was one of the few things I liked about being on a starship, never having to deal with thunderstorms. Kirk called out for everyone to move but I was frozen in place. Suddenly someone grabbed my hand and pulled me with them as they ran.

Spock? I glanced back for a second seeing lightning hit where I'd just been standing, if it hadn't been for him I would have been hit. The storm didn't last very long, nor had it rained. McCoy seemed to glance at me as we headed back to where we had come from to meet up with Kirk. Spock letting go of my hand as we ran. Phasers were to be used from here on. We continued forward seeing a second smoking spot. "A beautiful day, Mr. Spock. Not a cloud in the sky. Just like Paradise."

Sure Paradise. I knelt down, ignoring the stares I was getting from McCoy and Spock, so that I could examine where the lightning had struck. When I heard static coming from the communicators it was made obvious they were attempting to block communications. "Captain, those coordinates are a short distance in that direction." After Spock said that we were basically running in the direction Mallery had called us with. One of the men was moving so quickly he kicked one of the rocks, the resulting explosion more than likely killed him.

These rocks were a bad omen. One misstep and bomb, you're done. McCoy leaned over the downed officer to examine him, but I already knew the outcome. It was just like an old earth landmine. Apparently this man's father helped Kirk get into the academy. I was debating on following Kirk, but decided against it. There was nothing I could do to help him. No matter how many men he lost he still lost men. It was unavoidable. This exploration into space is like fighting a war. Sometimes it can end uneventfully... sometimes men die.

There is not much that can be done about it. Besides Spock was better at talking to Kirk about things like this. He is the first officer after all. "Marple, Mr. Chekov, Ms. (Y/n), at attention." I stood and quickly made my way over to Kirk and Spock. Kirk Spoke in a low voice. "Gentlemen, something or someone is behind that rock. I want it. Marple, cut around the rock to your right. Make a loud noise. (Y/n) circle wide to your left. I know your quick and quiet. Both of you be careful." I nodded taking off to the left.

I moved silently through the brush When I saw the man I ran up and shoved him to the ground. Spock and Chekov were making a ruckus. I let go and helped him up when I saw he was crying. My head tilted slightly as I looked at him. "I.. apologize. I did not mean to harm you. I won't do so again. You have been following us, and I would like to understand why."

My head tilted slightly as Kirk came up from behind him. "I am the eyes of Vaal. He must see."

Kirk walked up beside me startling him, but quickly held his hand out to calm him. "Who is Vaal?" The man explained very little. Almost like he was unsure of who Vaal was himself. He did give us his name, telling us that he was the leader of those who feed Vaal. That said Spock and the others finally made it around to our side. Kirk assured him that he would remain unharmed. Upon further inspection he had what was essentially implants. Something that he said Vaal had given to him, his ears so to speak.

After a bit of convincing we were permitted to see this Vaal, which was essentially a large carved serpent head in a cliff side. I immediately raised my tricorder to get readings. The energy readings from here were immense. "Fascinating." I muttered at the same time as Spock, he must have been taking readings as well. "Very high order of workmanship. Very ancient. Generating great power."

I took just a few steps forward before stopping. Looking down to the ground for a rock. If my hypothesis about these readings were correct... "But this is not the center, Mr. Spock."

I finally found a decent sized rock and looked it over to be sure it wouldn't cause an explosion other than hitting the forcefield. "No, Captain. The center is deep in the earth beneath us. There would also seem to be a-" I side glanced just in time to see Spock walking too close to what I thought was there. I quickly grabbed his shoulder pulling him back while simultaneously throwing the rock at the field.

The rock bounced off and flew right past my head. I blinked in a state of mild shock. I hadn't expected it to take that exact path. "A force field?"

Still, that was better than what could have happened if Spock touched it. "Obviously." Spock said slowly taking his arm from my grasp. I turned slightly noting that I was basically digging my nails into him, Releasing the pressure I pulled my hand away with a muffled apology. Once his arm was free he rubbed it slightly.

Kirk patted out arms. "Are you all right?"

I glanced back to the two of them. "Yes, quite. I just wasn't expecting such a strong grip." A large hand patted my head, Spocks of course, but I didn't fight against it. I'd saved his hide twice by this point. He really needs to be more careful. "It extends some thirty feet beyond the figure in all directions. Conventional in composition.... And quite formidable it would seem."

Kirk made his way back to the alien. "Akuta, how do you talk to Vaal?"

I rubbed my arm slightly, watching them interact. "Vaal calls me. Only then." There was little we could do at the moment. "Come. We will give you food and drink. If you are tired, you may rest." Kirk looked back at us before nodding, our small group following Akuta back to his village. The village was relatively small, consisting of only about twenty men and women. "These are the people of Vaal."

Kirk like myself was wondering where the others went. Yet according to Akuta, there were no others. There weren't even children here. He didn't even understand the word. Instead calling them replacements. He said they were forbidden by Vaal, that they weren't needed. It was honestly very perplexing. "But when a man and a woman fall in love..." The Yeoman started but Akuta laughed.

My brows furrowed. "Love. Strange words-- children, love... What is love?"

My eyes turned to her, honestly slightly curious myself. It was one of the other human emotions I couldn't wrap my mind around. "Love is... when two people are..." She had difficulty explaining it, but I did observe Chekov hold her waist.

Akuta nodded seeming to understand. "Ah. Yes, the holding, the touching. Vall has forbidden this." McCoy looked less than pleased. These people are from another place. They have come among us. Welcome them." The people bowed with their right hand just above their left making a V like shape. I hid behind Kirk as the people walked around with flowers. I observed them wrap it around the left wrist for the males.

Kirk patted my head trying to say something. "Why thank you. It, uh, it does something for you."

I smirked at Spock's reply, "Yes, indeed it does, Captain. It makes me uncomfortable, and it would seem (Y/n) share's my discomfort." I nodded slightly backing away from one of the men trying to put the flowers in my hair. The female closest to Spock told him her name. Then asked if he had one. "Yes-- Spock. I am Spock." To my own shock the entire village began to laugh. "I fail to see what they find so amusing." To this even our crew laughed. I inched closer to Spock, I didn't understand it either.

Letting out a long sigh. I wanted to go back to the ship. We followed Akuta to a small grass hut that he stated was ours to rest. That they would bring food later. In a place like this I felt like sticking close to either the Captain or Spock would be my best choice. It was unsettling to be here. Something about this whole thing just seemed off. "Now we're welcome. Awhile ago this whole planet was trying to kill us. It doesn't make sense." Chekov ranted as Kirk and Spock took their flowers off.

Spock's brow rose slightly as he looked at me. I tilted my head as he reached out. Flinching back as his hand pulled something from my tight braid. There was a small string of orange and blue flowers that one of the villagers must have managed to stick in my hair. "I don't think that situation has changed much, Mr. Checkov. I don't trust it. There is just something off about all of this."

Kirk seemed inclined to agree, calling to check on the enterprise. "Ms. (Y/n), are you feeling alright?" I turned slightly to see Spock standing right behind me. It seemed like he was observing me.

Glancing away I nodded. "Quite. I am perfectly functional and capable of performing my duties Mr. Spock. You on the other hand seem to be getting into trouble. You should perhaps be more cautious while walking around here. We cannot have anything happen to our first officer or Captain after all." His brow rose up slightly.

Still he nodded. "Quite. The same could be said to ou Ms. (Y/n), you seem to be getting injured a lot recently." I huffed choosing to ignore that comment. As we spoke McCoy went off to check on the natives, coming back just after Kirk got off of the communicator. There was not only a complete lack of harmful bacteria, but also no decalcification, no degeneration of tissue, no arteriosclerosis. This shouldn't have even been possible.

Spock and I were asked to give our opinions. I was inclined to agree with Spock on all fronts. This was basically paradise, but there was no way it was possible. I personally didn't believe in paradise. It wasn't even a minute later when the villagers suddenly started leaving to go somewhere. I followed behind as instructed. When we arrived we saw the villagers enter the mouth of the serpent in pairs. One man one woman. They each carried a basket of food.

No not baskets of food but something else. It was unclear and I found myself unable to make it out from this distance. "Apparently, our hypothesis is correct. There is no living being there. It is a machine, nothing more." Kirk decided that we should try to get closer, only to stop as the eyes of the beast began to glow. He quickly backed down. We were not going to be able to get that close to it. Perhaps because we lacked the antenna receivers that the other villagers had.

I hummed in thought. "This machine seems to possess a rudimentary intelligence. Fascinating."

Kirk nodded. "But it needs to eat... frequently, so it can't have any great power reserves. "

I clicked my tongue at that. "That may not be of any help. The Enterprise has only ten hours left in which to break free." It seemed reasonable that this Vaal would weaken around feeding time. Kirk had Spock check the astrophysics lab check the energy expelled against the ship. As the hours passed, my eyes drooped. I was getting rather bored of just watching, eventually giving in and letting my eyes close.

I woke with a start when something below me shifted slightly. Sitting up quickly I turned to see Spock, my brow furrowing when he glanced to me. "Mess call." I shifted slightly seeing McCoy was here as well.

Shifting my gaze back to the group of people I listened. "In my view, a splendid example of reciprocity." I noticed McCoy's glare directed at Spock.

I was honestly thinking about how this was like some sort of weird symbiosis. "It would take a computerized Vulcan mind such as yours to make that kind of a statement." I shifted slightly. Their conversations always seemed to get aggressive.

A better question at the moment was why was I leaning against Spock's shoulder. "Doctor, you insist on applying human standards to nonhuman cultures. I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy." I nodded my agreement, there were indeed a lot of different lifeforms in this galaxy.

I scratched my head slightly. "There are certain absolutes, Mr. Spock, and one of 'em is the right of humanoids to a free and unchained environment, the right to have conditions which permit growth."

I let out a sigh, this was becoming rather lengthy. "Another is their right to choose a system which seems to work for them." I set my hand against my cheek, my elbow resting against my knee. Giving off a slight yawn, I felt my head dip again. "(Y/n) if you are tired, perhaps you should return to the hut." I waved my hand dismissively.

Glancing at the group. "I am not tired Mr. Spock, simply bored. Silent observation of a species does not suit my particular mindset. I find it rather dull and unproductive. I would much rather spend my time in a lab or taking samples like we were doing earlier." I let my eyes drift close, l wasn't much for these kinds of things.

I noticed Kirk, eye me from the corner of his eye. "Spock is right, let's head back to the hut. I think we have observed for long enough." I watched him move away, followed by McCoy and Spock. I followed behind them, taking one last glance at the people before heading back to the hut with the others.

Once we got back Kirk gave everyone a rundown, the four of us taking a seat at the table. "Everytime I think of the Enterprise burning up and us... " Time passed as the captain and Spock spoke. I understood the Yeomans frustration. Yet there was very little we could do.

Then Kirk said something weird. "Yeoman, (Y/n) I want you to speculate. What would happen if someone on this planet died?" I frowned.

This... was not really a conversation I wanted to have. "But they can't. You said Vaal takes care of them."

I placed my elbow on the table, lying my cheek in my hand. "That doesn't stop everything. Like if someone were to fall off a cliff, or a branch were to crush them. They would need to... procreate a replacement of some kind."

Kirk's eyes seemed to widen slightly. "They'd need a replacement. Opinion, Mr. Spock? Or (Y/n), how would they go about such a thing? These people have never even seen a child."

I opened my mouth to say something but Spock spoke first. "I see no alternative."

The Yeoman seemed to catch on. "But these people, I mean if they don't know anything about..." The room became silent. No one wanted to talk about the subject. Kirk was egging it on, almost asking for the Yeoman to continue. She glanced to McCoy and myself. "What I mean is, they don't seem to have any natural, uh... I mean, how is it done?"

And there it was. Such an innocent question, but not so much in this context. Everyone was looking to Kirk. I decided the wall behind him was much more fascinating. Kirk turned to Spock and myself. "Mr. Spock, (Y/n), you're the science officers. Why don't you explain it to the young lady?"

Spock turned to me, I stared at Kirk. Damn him, putting me on the spot like that. "Well, I believe it's safe..." Spock was going to have a hard time with this. He obviously felt really uncomfortable. If I paid really close attention to his face, he almost looked like he was blushing. "... Safe to assume that they would receive..."

He paused again. I was tired of this game and sighed. "More than likely, Vaal has some instructions that he will feed to his followers. Allowing for one paring to procreate a new life as well as how to care for in its infancy, Captain."

McCoy looked.... Skeptical. "From a machine? That I'd like to see." He was smirking, I rolled my eyes. Of course that would be his response. Everyone else's eyes on the other hand were on me. Probably wondering how I managed to just say what needed to be said that easily. Even Spock was staring at me in slight disbelief.

It wasn't until later that night that things changed. I was lying down on my side, just listening to Kirk and Spock speak. They thought everyone was asleep. "I am concerned, captain. This is not an ideal society, but it is a viable one."

Kirk seemed to be thinking a lot as well. "Bones was right, these people aren't living, they're existing. They don't create, they don't produce, they don't even think. They exist to service a machine."

I understood where this was going, they had done this a few times by this point. "If we do what it seems we must, in my opinion, we'll be in direct violation of the Noninterference Directive." Kirk didn't agree. Willing to take his chances with Starfleet command on the matter. That said, Spock got up to leave while Kirk checked up on the ship. Spock took the captain for a bit.

Apparently the people of Vaal had vanished. This was troubling. Getting up, I followed the boys outside the room. The Captain and Spock went one way I went somewhere else. There had to be something I could do. Turning my eyes to the sky, I watched it light up. Thunder and Lightning focused on where Vaal was located. So I ran in that direction. I made it just in time to save Spock from getting struck by lightning.

Once I hit the ground I groaned. My back and upper arm burned slightly, but I wouldn't let that stop me. I felt someone lift me up onto their back before a hand pressed against my arm as they went running. "Bones!" The storm was clear by the time we made it back to the village.

I felt the ground beneath my feet, as they set me down. "Second degree burns. Not serious, but I bet they smart." I felt Spock's hands holding my upright, my eyes screwed shut in pain. "How did she get these?"

Kirk held my bicep pulling my medical pouch free from my waist. "She came out of nowhere and tackled Spock. That's the second time in as many days that she has saved our Vulcan friend. Here see what she has in this." Before they could get to far one of our men were attacked. The others were quick into action, taking down the men of the village. McCoy ran off to check on the man we lost.

I used this opportunity to stand on my feet. Kirk wanted everyone in the hut, women included. I on the other hand was ushered to spend the rest of the time resting. Which... I wasn't going to do. I snuck out of the camp with a bit of an idea. Vaal was a computer. As a computer it needed a powersource when its energies got too low. Therefore if I could weaken Vaal enough the Enterprise would be able to break free. I was chucking rocks at it when Spock and Kirk showed up.

I was about to toss another when he held up a hand stopping me. Instead, he wanted Scotty to fire the phasers at the forcefield. That... was a much better idea than I had. It was going to have to use its reserves, and if the phasers were fired then it would draw more heavily on the energy field. That was a brilliant plan. I stayed close to Spock and Kirk as they had backed off. The storm above started raging not long after, but once Vaal was sufficiently drained we were all pleased to depart. Leaving the people to discover life on their own.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

90.2K 2.6K 26
" Did you know your eyes give you away?" " Would it be rude to suggest that yours do the same?" Ferris Kirk is none other than James Kirk's twin s...
7.5K 138 24
You've read the version where Serenity met Jim at an early age and became siblings. But what if they didn't meet until the Academy, where Serenity r...
3K 46 39
Book 1: Data Lore Desire Book 2: Desired Data Dezirae (meaning: so long hoped for, crave, desire, much desired origin: Latin & French) Dez to her fri...
22K 752 17
After a (very) drunken night of sex, an accidental bond is formed between Spock and Leonard. Jim becomes a confidant, but is sometimes too annoying t...