Accidentally on Purpose

By numbereddays

Hannah Taylors finally gives in to her desperation and does one of the stupidest things a girl can do to grab... More

Accidentally on Purpose
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Epilogue
Sequel: Purposefully Accidental
Author's Note
Bonus Chapter #1
Bonus Chapter #2
Bonus Chapter #3
Episode!

Chapter Fifty-Nine

704K 28.9K 22.2K
By numbereddays

I took a deep breath, took another two, and closed my eyes.

"Ready?" Gina and Bey asked at the same time. I opened my eyes and nodded.

"I guess." I gave them a nervous smile. I didn't know what to expect from this.

"Just give me a call if you need a ride like the last time, okay?" Gina said. "I'm sure it won't happen though."

I nodded at her. "Hopefully, yeah. But I'll let you know if anything happens."

"Okay." She and Bey looked at each other for a while, barely containing their excitement.

"Wish me luck, okay?" I told them, before opening the door and getting out of the car. Both girls gave me a thumbs up and I returned it before turning around and walking into the field.

Jonah wasn't there yet, so I waited by the river. I looked around and thought about the birthday date we had here, and then frowned to myself because today was Jonah's birthday and I still didn't know what I should get him.

Would he be mad if he knew that I'd forgotten about it?

Ten minutes passed and there was still no sign of Jonah, so I stood up from where I was sitting and started walking around, picking up fallen leaves from the ground and tearing them apart little by little because I was bored. Ten turned to twenty, twenty turned to thirty, and when it turned to forty-five, I began to pace back and forth nervously.

Where was Jonah?

I tightened my coat around me, because despite the fact that it was pretty sunny, the wind was still too cold. My nose started to feel frozen, and I kept pinching it to get some feelings back on the skin.

Negative thoughts flooded into my brain when I realized that an hour had passed and I was still all alone in his hiding place. I finally tried calling him, but his phone was off, so I began to feel worried.

Why wasn't he coming? Should I keep waiting on him?

I realized then that this must be what he had felt when I stood him up a few days ago. He had waited on me for hours and I never came without telling him why. Was he doing this on purpose, so I could feel what he'd felt to wait for someone who would never come?

If he really was, then why?

Another part of me was worried that something had happened, but I knew it was just me being paranoid. Was he really standing me up? Should I stay longer or should I just go home? I debated with myself for a while, before sighing and started to dial Gina's number with a heavy heart.

I chose to go home.

She picked up within the first ring. "How was it? How was it? How was it?" she asked excitedly.

I didn't say anything. I couldn't, really.

"Hannah?" her voice quickly turned worried. "Is he..." she trailed off. "He didn't come, did he?"

I shook my head sadly. "Please just pick me up," I told her quietly. I started to feel like I was drowning and it was hard for me to breathe.

"Okay," she replied softly, and I heard a rustling sound and her car keys clinking.

I thought I heard noises behind me, but I shook that feeling off. Gina was still on the phone talking to me and trying to cheer me up, but honestly, I wasn't even listening to her. I didn't know where my head was at this time.

But then I heard someone calling my name, and it wasn't her voice.

I turned around and the phone against my ear almost fell to the ground. My jaw dropped open, and after a few seconds of looking like an idiot, I closed it, and quickly said to Gina, "Hey, Gina, never mind. Don't pick me up. I'll call you later, love you."

"Hannah? What—"

I hung up and put my phone in my pocket, my eyes staring at Jonah who stood in front of me, looking all flustered, breathing heavily as if he had just run ten miles within two minutes.

His eyes were focused on me, and I couldn't look away. I was trapped, and frankly, I didn't really want to escape from this. I felt an involuntary shiver coming up to my shoulders when he took a few steps forward, and then he closed his eyes for a moment to take huge gulps of air.

And then he said to me, "I'm sorry, I was running late," he said, his eyes pleading. "I didn't mean to make you wait."

I slowly nodded, still speechless for the moment.

"I was trying to—" he shook his head, and the next thing I knew, he was rambling, "I had a plan. But I couldn't go through with it, and I didn't realize that I was screwing it up. I'm sorry to make you wait like this. This wasn't part of the plan."

"It's okay," I managed to say.

He shook his head at me. "How long have you been waiting?"

I hesitated before saying, "An hour."

"Shit," he cursed and screwed his eyes shut. "I'm sorry, Hannah."

I wanted to tell him that it was okay, but instead, I asked, "What is going on?"

He started to walk closer, and suddenly, he was exactly two steps away from me. He held out his hand and it was then that I finally realized that he was holding something. "I—I tried looking for a daisy, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Obviously, it's not in season anymore. This is all I got for you. I'm sorry."

A bouquet full of roses. Words died in my throat as he took my hand so I could hold the bouquet. "Jonah—"

"And I'm sorry for making you wait. And for walking away from you last Sunday," he told me, his eyes closing as he spoke. "I didn't... I didn't mean to leave you in the rain. I know you got sick because of that. I'm sorry."

I didn't say anything. I couldn't. Not when I had Jonah standing right in front of me, not with this beautiful roses I was holding tightly in my hands, not when my brain was failing to function and my heart was jumping around wildly. Maybe he took my silence in the wrong way, because when he opened his eyes, I saw something there that made my insides broke.

"Hannah?" he asked quietly, and finally, I felt like someone had jump-started my brain and I took a step closer. "I'm—"

"Stop apologizing. You have nothing to apologize for," I said quickly. "I should be the one to apologize. I'm sorry I never told you about the soda thing. I'm sorry I shut you out when I thought I'd known the truth about the accident. I'm sorry because I've been so unfair and selfish to you, and I—I'm sorry about everything else. I should have talked to you about it instead of running away and making everything worse."

I felt his thumb brushing against my cheek. I didn't realize that I was crying.

"You don't have to apologize for all that either." His finger was still touching the skin on my face. "I would forgive you anyway."

The relief that washed over me almost knocked me off my feet.

"We both made our mistakes," he said slowly, "but that doesn't matter now, does it?"

I smiled. "Of course not."

"So maybe, it would be good if we both stop apologizing to each other?"

"Yeah." I nodded at him, remembering the same deal that I had with Tony a while back. Mistakes were done in the past. Now that everything was alright, there was no need to overthink about something we couldn't change. Instead, we should move forward and make up for all the time we had lost in the past. "I missed you."

A smile started to appear on Jonah's face. "Yeah. You told me last night."

I closed my eyes in shame, cringing as I did so. "I shouldn't have called you like that," I muttered. "It's so embarrassing."

"No, it's okay," he said with a light chuckle. "I was glad that you called me. I missed you too."

My heart took a leap. I felt like I couldn't breathe, but it was in a good way. "I thought you were mad at me."

"I wasn't," he told me softly. "I don't think I could ever be mad at you even if I tried."

"But I really thought you did, and we've been avoiding each other for days..." I sighed. "I was really scared that I was going to lose you."

His fingers stopped brushing my cheek for a while. "I'm sorry I made you think that way."

I frowned. "Why didn't you want to do the presentation together?"

His cheeks slightly reddened. "It's not that I didn't want to do it with you," he said. "I just—I just wanted to show my own video. And I was too embarrassed to talk to you about it. It's stupid."

He looked so awkward with himself that it made me smile. "It's not stupid. Besides, I like the video. I really do."

He smiled. "You do?"

I nodded. "Mm-hm." And then I looked up at his face and asked, "Anyway, why did you bring me here?"

He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "I was supposed to, uh..." he said, "to reenact the proposal I did. But then Clara told me that Grace is at the vet for a routine check-up and I couldn't find daisies and then I was running late... so, yeah. I couldn't do it." He gave me a small shrug.

I'm pretty sure that I was blushing right now. "You don't have to do all that."

"Actually, yes, I do," he murmured. "It's all part of trying to win you back."

I paused and eyed him suspiciously. "Have you been talking to my brother?"

His eyes widened. "How do you know?"

I shook my head knowingly. "It just sounds like him," I said. "When did you two even meet?"

"Yesterday. I went to your house," he said, a bit sheepishly. "But I met him instead and he told me you were sleeping. So... we talked."

Tony didn't say anything to me about it. Maybe that explained why he kept giving me a weird, sly look at dinner last night. He knew Jonah was planning something—hell, maybe he even helped him. "Did you talk about the accident with him?"

He nodded, and my breath hitched when his fingers moved to brush the hair over my forehead. "I really wanted to punch him so bad," he murmured, his thumb touching the faint scar above my eyebrow. "For doing this to you."

I shook my head. "Jonah."

"No, I mean it's cool now," he said. "I know he obviously feels guilty about it. I felt the same way too."

"But you know you never did anything wrong, right?" I asked him softly, and he nodded at me.

"He told me everything that happened and it made a lot more sense now," he said. "But I still hate myself because I should've done something more."

"Don't." I looked at him square in the eye. "The accident happened because of me and my brother, and we both are over it. You did nothing wrong. In fact, you saved our lives when you called for help. I couldn't thank you enough for that."

"You don't have to thank me for that," he said with a small smile. "Oh, and before I forget." He dug into one of his pockets and took something out, and then said, "I believe you asked for it last night."

I was speechless as he took my hand and slowly slipped a ring into my finger. I was looking at his face disbelievingly as he kept his eyes on my hand, and when he looked up to meet my eyes, he was smiling.

"There," he said quietly. "I tried to make it look like the one I gave you before, but I couldn't so it's kind of different. You can't really replicate these rings accurately—they always came out different."

"Thank you, Jonah," I looked down at my hand and admired the simple little ring he had made for me. I couldn't believe that he really did make another one for me. "But you actually didn't have to," I said shyly. I moved my fingers, loving the way I could feel the ring against my skin.

"I told you, you didn't have to worry about losing the ring," he said with a smile. "I can make you a thousand more if you lose one."

I nodded and smiled back, and then took a deep breath. "Jonah," I said. "Are we..." I paused when I felt his fingers wrapping around my hand. "Are we alright now?"

His eyes twinkled. "Yeah. I think we are."

"So we can try again, right?" I asked, and I could hear the sound of my own heartbeat from inside my chest. "Start all over again?"

"Of course," he said, nodding at me. "I'd love to."

I squeezed his hand. "No more secrets."

"No more secrets," he echoed. "This time, there will be no fake baby involved either." I let out a laugh, and he grinned at me. "Just the two of us."

"Just the two of us, huh? I like the sound of that."

"Yeah." He nodded, and then slowly, his face inched closer. I couldn't breathe as he whispered, "No one is going to interrupt us..."

His eyes were on me, and mine on him, and maybe it was because I had missed him too much, but I could feel something inside me exploding, like endless bursts of fireworks. Colorful, bright, fearless fireworks. I took one step, even closer to him, and I knew right at that moment that there was nowhere else I'd rather be.

And then it started to rain. Out of nowhere, as if the sky just decided to open up right above our heads without a warning.

"Damn, I swear it didn't look like it was gonna rain today," I muttered. "Let's go home before we get sick."

I started to pull his hand so we could run toward his car, but he wasn't moving anywhere. "Wait, Hannah."

"What is it?"

He pulled me into him in one quick motion, and then asked, "Can we kiss first?"

"What?" I asked, dumbfounded.

"You know... like in those romantic movies where it's raining and—oh, screw it."

Without another word, he gently grabbed the back of my head with his hand, and then I was swooped into the most dizzying, literally breathtaking kiss I'd ever had. I hadn't been expecting it, so I gasped in surprise but quickly melted into the kiss.

"I've missed this," he murmured softly.

"Me too," I replied just as breathlessly.

I felt it from my head down to my toes, the sparks running through my veins. I was the most alive I'd ever been in my life, right here, in his arms. I'd missed him so much, and maybe that was why these feelings intensified a hundredfold. Or maybe it was just the realization that finally, Jonah was here again, filling the empty spot in my heart that only belonged to him, and I knew this time I wasn't going to let him walk away from me.

I loved him. So much. Too much that it was making my whole world spin. Too much that I felt so invincible. Too much that I felt like my feet were TEN feet off the ground.

But I didn't want anyone to pull me down.

So I said, "I love you, Jonah."

I realized that this was actually the first time I'd properly said it to him out loud, and even though I knew that Jonah and I were alright and that he was mine again, there was still a small fear in the back of my mind, worried that he might not say it back, or that he would run away because of it.

But then he rested his forehead on mine, and planted a small kiss on the tip of my nose. "I love you, Hannah Taylors. Today, tomorrow, the day after, and then the day after that—"

"—and then the day after the day after the day after the day after that," I finished for him. I smiled so wide that I wondered how my face hadn't split into two yet. His arms wrapped tightly around me, and I sighed and buried my face into his chest. "Promise me you won't leave me."

"I swear I won't," he murmured.

"Even when I ask you to," I said softly. "Because I probably won't mean it when I tell you to leave."

He kissed the top of my head. "I'm not going anywhere."

I nodded into his chest. "Good."

"As long as you stay with me too," he said and pulled away a little bit so he could look at me. "Because I've found out that I really, really, really hate being away from you."

I sighed. "Me too." I shook my head. "It sucks. I'll never do that again. The whole avoiding each other thing. Nope. Never again."

He chuckled. "Let's go home now before you get sick again."

Jonah turned up the heater high once we were inside his car. I was shaking like a dog, water falling from the tips of my hair. The rain had turned from mild to heavy, and Jonah had to drive slowly and carefully because there wasn't much to see on the small road.

"Hannah?" he asked, turning the volume of the radio down.

I looked up. "Yeah?"

He looked at me briefly, giving me a small smile. "I love you."

I didn't know how I was going to get used to him saying that. My whole body felt warm, even though I was drenched in water and I should be freezing right now. I didn't even want to imagine how red my face was. "I love you too," I replied with a smile of my own.

He was looking ahead at the road, but was also grinning. "You know what? I like saying it out loud. I love you, I love you—"

I groaned and put my palms over my burning cheeks. "Stop it, now you're just being cheesy!"

He laughed. "I thought you loved cheesy."

I huffed, but I was smiling a little, staring at him from the passenger's seat. I felt so lucky that Jonah was willing to look past my childishness and immaturity—as I'd proved during these past few weeks—and that now I was here, sitting next to him, listening to the sound of his laughter that I'd beginning to miss so much.

I was lucky that he loved me, and from this moment, I would never take that for granted.

But then something had to go wrong.

As we took a turn on the narrow road, a car unexpectedly sped toward us. It was slightly swerving to the left and right, as if no one had control of the steering wheel, and it was going on too fast.

"Shit!" Jonah cursed out loud. He made a sharp turn to avoid the other car but it was too close and I had my heart in my throat, and there was nothing I could do other than gripping my seatbelt tightly. I saw the other car literally five inches away from us when Jonah hit the brakes, and I closed my eyes to prepare myself for the impending pain.

It never came.

Instead, my vision turned to black in an instant, but not before I heard the sound of a loud thump.

And then there was silence.

I thought I had died. I really did. But then I felt hands grabbing my upper arms, slightly shaking my body, and my eyes shot open.

Blurry images, my head was spinning, a loud, annoyingly repetitive sound of a car alarm. My vision slowly cleared, but my memory was momentarily hazy, and I thought, "What the hell had happened?"

Until I saw the inflated airbag in front of my face. Everything flooded back in right away. Rain, narrow road, headlight, other car.

Jonah.

I gasped and started to sit up, only to be slightly pushed back into the seat behind me. I looked up and saw Jonah's gray eyes looking at me—wide, alert, scared, alive—and I breathed in relief. I collapsed back into the seat to take another few deep breaths to calm myself down. Jonah was alright. I was alive.

"Hannah," Jonah said, panic rising in his voice. "God, Hannah, answer me. Say something."

"I'm fine," I croaked shakily. "I just need to... breathe."

He took a shaky breath, and then he reached out his hand to me. I was confused, until his thumb brushed against the skin under my nose, wiping a little bit of blood. "Are you hurt?" he asked softly, worryingly, brushing my hair to the side and checking my face, my arms, my legs. "Tell me where you're hurt."

I shook my head. Other than the dizziness, I didn't feel hurt at all. "I'm fine. I don't think anything's broken."

"Thank god, you're okay," he said breathlessly.

I opened my eyes when I felt both of his hands on my cheeks. His eyes were closed, and he was breathing hard. I saw tears falling from his eyes silently, and I started to feel like crying myself. I wiped the tears on his cheeks with my fingers.

"Hey, hey, open your eyes," I said gently. "We're okay. We're fine. Calm down."

He swallowed and slowly nodded, and then he opened his eyes, revealing a mix of wild expressions. He was scared. He was relieved. He was petrified. He was thankful. He was frightened. He was alive. He took another big gulp of air and tried a smile. "We're fine."

But then my eyes widened as I remembered, "What about the other car?"

Jonah frowned, and we both turned around to see the car, nearly smashed into a tree, and then he said, "Probably a drunk driver," he said quietly, his voice still a bit shaky. "We should check up on them."

I nodded, but when I grabbed his upper arm, he suddenly flinched. My hand felt warm and slightly wet. With blood. "Jonah, you're bleeding!"

"What?" he looked down at his upper arm and groaned as he felt around the wound. "Ah, hell. A scratch—it's not that deep, I don't think."

"Oh my god."

He shook it off. "I'm fine," he insisted. "Let's just check the other car."

"No! You stay here," I commanded. I took my phone out from my pocket and it lit up. "Call an ambulance."

"Wait, you're not going there alone!"

"I'll be quick," I reassured. "Try to stop the bleeding. I'll be quick, I promise," I repeated.

He sighed and nodded, taking the phone from me. I opened the door and stumbled out. I had to pause for a while to get my footing before walking toward the broken car not too far away from us.

I could see a person, a guy, sitting in the driver's seat, unmoving. My heart was beating so fast as I prepared myself for the worst. The door was already open, and his arm was dangling out, blood trickling down.

I took a good look at his face and saw a boy, probably one or two years younger than me, and I closed my eyes for a moment.

I immediately put two fingers on his neck, looking for a pulse, and sighed to myself when I finally felt it. I realized soon that his chest was slowly moving up and down.

He was alive, too.

He suddenly coughed, and then groaned out loud like he was in pain. He was too weak to move, so all he could do was groan and made pained sounds, even when I tried to calm him down.

"Hey, it's okay, we already called for help," I told him. I shuddered because there was too much blood, but it didn't seem like his injuries were all that serious even though it was obvious that he was hurt more than Jonah and me. "Hey, you're fine."

Eventually, he calmed down and his eyes opened. "I'm not dying, am I?"

I exhaled loudly and shook my head. I gave him a small, reassuring smile. "Don't worry. Help is on the way."

I looked up from the boy and saw Jonah leaning against his car, his hand pressing onto the wound on his upper arm. I could see the questioning look on his face, so I nodded at him and held up a thumb to let him know that everything was alright.

It had been a crazy day, but we were alright.

We were alright. Everything was always gonna alright.

[]

I paced back and forth in the empty waiting room in the hospital, waiting for Jonah.

He had to get a few stitches from the wound. It wasn't too deep, but still, it needed to be stitched up to stop the bleeding.

As for me, I was alright. The doctor had examined me, checked if I had a concussion, but I was fine. My nose had bled earlier, because my face had hit the airbag, but nothing was broken.

The door opened and I immediately turned around. Jonah walked out, and upon seeing me, he smiled.

I sighed and walked up to him, immediately wrapping my arms around his neck, careful not to touch his bandaged arm. He returned the hug with his good arm and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"You alright?" I asked. He nodded, and I let go of the hug. "I hope you don't mind, but my parents are picking us up."

He cringed and his face slightly paled. "Your parents?"

I nodded sheepishly.

"Are they mad?"

I shook my head. "Just worried. They know it wasn't our fault."

We sat down on one of the chairs, and he put his good arm around my shoulders. I rested my head on his shoulder and sighed. "Tired?"

"Mm." I slightly nodded.

"I'm sorry... for what happened. It's such a crazy day."

"Not your fault," I murmured.

He sighed. "How's the kid?"

I held in a chuckle. "I think he will be fine. Just a couple of bruises and cuts. Probably a broken bone or two. He was very much coherent. Wouldn't stop apologizing to me—oh, he wants you to know that he's sorry."

He rolled his eyes. "He was drunk, wasn't he?"

I shrugged. "I think so, but let's not talk about him," I said, before sighing. "I'm really glad you're okay."

Jonah took my hand from my lap and played with my fingers. He was quiet, until he said, "I don't know what I would've done if you had been hurt."

I closed my eyes, and realized that I couldn't imagine what I would've done either, if he had been hurt, more than a wound on his arm. It was unthinkable. "Let's not think about that, okay?" I said. "We're fine. That's what matters."

He nodded at me. "I love you," he said randomly, and I smiled to myself.

"I love you too." I was blushing again. That was, until I realized, "Today is your birthday."

He looked at me with an eyebrow raised. "I thought you didn't remember."

I puffed out my cheeks. "I only remembered this morning. I had nothing prepared for you," I admitted.

He shook his head at me. "I don't need a birthday present." I started to protest, but then he cut me off, "Having you next to me is the best present already."

Was it possible for my cheeks to get even warmer? I was afraid that they were gonna burn themselves. "You're just saying that."

"I'm serious," he said. "Even though today ended with... this..." He cringed. "I still have you and that's enough."

I nodded. "Okay."

"Besides," he hummed. "You can prepare a birthday surprise for me for next year."

A slow smile appeared on my face. A hidden promise. "Next year. Of course," I said, closing my eyes. He would still be with me next year. That was his promise.

"Or," he continued lowly. "You can just give me a birthday kiss. I wouldn't mind that kind of present."

I laughed and leaned to give him a peck on the lips. "There. All good?"

"Not yet," he murmured and pulled me in for another kiss. "That's more like it."

I shook my head and gave him another kiss on the cheek.

"Anyway," he drawled out. "I'm parched. Can you get me a drink, please?" He gestured at his bandaged arm, as if the task of getting a drink himself was too much for his injuries.

"Sure. For the birthday boy," I told him. I looked around and saw a vending machine not too far from where we were sitting. "What do you want?"

He thought for a while, and then his eyes lit up when he answered with, "Soda."

I raised my eyebrows. "Soda?"

He nodded at me, an undecipherable smile on his face. "Yes, soda."

"Oookay," I said slowly. I stood up and went to the vending machine. I got him a can of soda and a bottle of water for myself.

"You know, Hannah," he said to me as he opened the can. "I meant what I said earlier in class."

"Huh?" I asked confusedly.

"About how I'm very lucky to have you," he said to me quietly. He took a small sip of his soda, and then said to me, "Not just for the project, I mean. But to have you like this."

I tried to hide my smile by taking a gulp of my water. "What are you saying?" I said a while after.

"I'm glad that you decided to dump that soda on me," he said, staring at me straight in the eyes. "So I hope you don't regret it."

I didn't say anything.

"I'm glad that you made an effort to get to know me better," he continued. "And that you never gave up on me, even when I kept brushing you off."

"It was really stupid. Kinda creepy, now that I think about it," I finally muttered. "Why aren't you mad at me for it instead?"

"Mad at you for what? For accidentally making me fall in love with you on purpose?" he asked with a laugh. "I should thank you for that."

"Jonah," I said. "I just wish that it didn't have to be forced."

He was looking at me as if I was stupid. "You never forced me to fall in love with you," he said like it was obvious. "I decided to fall in love with you. On my own. But it would never happen if you hadn't made an effort to talk to me."

When he saw that I was still frowning, he sighed and stood up. He gestured me to do the same, so I confusedly followed.

He held out his soda at me. "Hold this."

I did as told, but I asked, "Why?"

"Dump it on my head." I looked at him weirdly. "Just do it. Come on."

"Why are you—no." I shook my head. "I'm not gonna dump it on your head. No."

He sighed exasperatedly, and then snatched the can from my hand. "Stand here."

He took a few steps backwards. I sighed exasperatedly, worrying that people might be staring. "What are you doing?"

Jonah didn't answer, but then he stopped walking backwards. Then he just calmly walked toward me, and then he literally bumped into me while holding out the soda can in his hand.

It spilled all over my chest.

"Oops." I looked up to see Jonah grinning goofily at me. "Sorry for accidentally spilling my soda on you."

I made a face at him. "On purpose. Yeah, yeah. Blah blah blah. Very clever."

"Now do what I did that day," he said, holding out the can to me again. "Dump it on my head. Do it!"

I couldn't help but laugh at his weirdness. "Why?"

"Do it!"

"Okay, okay." I paused and looked around for a while. No one was paying any attention to us, so I took the can from his head and took a deep breath, before standing up on my toes so I could reach his head. And then I tipped the can over, making what was left inside the can fell down right onto Jonah's hair. I gasped out a laugh. "Oh my."

"There." He made a face when the soda trickled down his forehead. "Now we're even."

I laughed and shook my head. "You're such a dork."

"You love me anyway," he said, giving me a small kiss on the lips.

"Yeah," I sighed. "That, I really do."

I realized, at this very moment, that none of his kisses would ever taste stale on my lips. And I know, I'm fully aware, that this thing that we have right now, the love that we share right here, may not last forever. But that shouldn't matter. I shouldn't be worrying about when or how it's gonna end. What matters is now. Not yesterday anymore, not yet tomorrow. But today.

Because today, I am his. Today, he is mine. And today, every day, he's right here next to me with every step that I take, and I'm there next to him with every step that he takes.

"I'm really glad that you came into my life," he murmured into my ear, "because there's no one else I'd rather fall in love with other than you."

"That's so corny, you closeted hopeless romantic," I whispered back. I listened to his chuckle, and then kissed his cheek softly. "But I love you too."

Today, every day, the days are ours.

THE END

Author's note:

Hi guys! If you want to read more about Hannah and Jonah's story, don't miss the sequel, "Purposefully Accidental", available on my profile! There's also an Epilogue chapter after this one. Thank you guys for reading!

And if you enjoyed reading this story, please do consider buying me a coffee! I would very much appreciate it!

Love, Bree<3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.2M 97.8K 46
"Nice try," I said and the smile on his face grew wider. My eyes took in every inch of his face with pleasure. I continued, "But you've got to try be...
344K 13K 54
Meet Rachel Brody Everything comes easy to her. She has it all. Fame, money, boys. In one word popular. A Goddess amongst commoners. She is even the...
122K 7.1K 27
* What if a prank results in two people getting married by chance? Can they deal with the aftermath? Or will they lose their sanity, their patience...
302K 10.8K 46
One prankster + One player + One drunk party = One lover + One douche bag + One big crazy love story ㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍㅍ "I cupped her cheeks a...