The Equal Claim

By JessSolanki

24 year old Athena is on her journey to success; but she has a secret. She is not human. What happens when At... More

Authors' Note
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Epilogue
Sequel Announcement

Chapter 16

6.4K 224 27
By JessSolanki

He looks out the window and I feel a growl erupting from Theo as his eyes flash red and meet with the blue eyes in the forest. I see a change in them as the blue eyes are now prominent with anger as they lock with Theo's red ones and in a blink of an eye move away. We are now staring at nothing but pitch black darkness.

''We need to go after him, he shouldn't have gone far. We can track him.'' Theo says as he moves towards the door and I follow him as I grab my coat. As we walk out I see Charles running towards us, ''got your message man, it sounded urgent, what's up?'' he asks hastily.

'Someone has been spying on Athena, we have marked the place and we're going after him. He shouldn't have gone far.'' Theo replies. ''Are you serious? It's barely even a week since she's here and someone's spying on her?'' he asks incredulously as we start to run towards the spot where we saw the eyes. As we get to the place where I'm assuming the spy would have been, I turn on my spot and measure the distance, sure enough, I see my window. The spot was a perfect hiding place as he could get a clear view of me.

''This is very close to the pack borders, so either this person is inside the pack or has crossed over to Shadow pack.'' Charles muses as we start looking around. Theo sniffs in the air and I follow suit however we come up with nothing. ''There is no scent.'' Theo announces and I try once again but fail to catch anything. ''That's weird.'' I voice, 'there has to be scent, 'I thought as we continue searching when Charles comes running to us while putting on a t-shirt ''Nothing,'' he says shaking his head in distress, ''I ran up to the borders, also spoke to the guards from Shadow pack but they confirmed that no one has passed through.'' He says, as we all look at each other completely lost for words.

''We will increase security, in this area, Charles mind link Noah and tell him I need more guards on this part of the pack.'' Theo commands and I catch a glimpse of the Alpha in him as power resonates around him. Charles obeys and his eyebrows furrow in concentration as he mind-links Hazel's mate. ''I don't think he will be coming back to this spot again.'' I muse. ''Why do you think so love?'' Theo questions. '' I mean think about it, he has been watching me for the past 2 nights; today we run out to get him and he is nowhere in sight. We have already discovered his hiding spot which by the way is now tainted with our scents, of course he wouldn't come back,'' I conclude.

''You knew he was watching you?'' Theo cries out and I look at him guiltily. ''Yes, I did,'' I whisper and he puts his head between his hands. ''And you didn't tell me? Why Athena?'' he says and I see him desperately trying not to shout at me. ''I....I...I thought that...'' I start to say but he cuts me off ''of course, you thought that you would handle it on your own didn't you?'' he claims and I chose to stay quiet. '' When will you get it Athena, we are in this together, you need to tell me when something like this happens.

I know that you're a strong woman and can handle yourself better than some of the men here but even a strong woman needs a shoulder to lean on and I'm trying to be that shoulder for you, but you need to open up to me, you need to trust me,'' he says exasperatedly and walks away towards the house. I stay back and let his words sink in, knowing that everything he said is true as tears sting my eyes threatening to fall.

''Come on cookie, let's get you home?'' Charles says and I laugh a little at his nickname for me.

''You know what you have to do Athena, swallow that pride for once and do the right thing.'' He says and I nod in response as he places a chaste kiss on my forehead and walks towards his house.

As I walk in the house I sense him brooding and walk up to his bedroom door. I place a soft knock on his door and wait. I hear the shuffling of feet on the other side as he walks. He opens the door and walks back to his seat without sparing me a glance.

''You are mad at me, I know and I understand why. You have every right to be,'' I start.

''I'm not mad at you love, I can never be. I am just disappointed in you. I thought we are close after your revelation to me but I guess that was just me hanging out for hope.'' He says and I feel my heartbreak seeing him like this.

''Theo, no please don't say that.'' I plead. ''I'm sorry if I ever made you feel that way, it was not my intention and that's why I'm here apologizing to you, I can't have you being mad at me, it upsets the bond. It upsets me.'' I whisper the last part and immediately I'm pulled into a bone crushing hug as he nuzzles his face on the side of my neck. ''Can't...breathe...'' I manage to wheeze out as he lets go of me. 'Sorry.'' He says flustered and I chuckle. ''I promise never to hide anything from you, ever.'' I say and he looks down at me and nods, 'I'll hold you up to that promise.''

''Come on, I'll walk you to your room,'' he says as I start to leave, ''you don't have to Theo, my room is just next door.'' I say and he gives me a look. ''right. I 'm doing it again aren't I? sorry,'' I say and chuckle. As we get to the room, I turn to look at him. ''Thank you for being so understanding.'' I say as I bite my lip in nervousness. ''With you, always,'' he says and starts to walk back to his room.

I can't believe I'm about to do this but here goes. ''Umm Theo, I'd really like it if you could stay with me here tonight'' I blurt out and he turns to look at me, ''Sorry love, do you mind repeating that?''

''uhhh I said, I'd really like it if you could stay with me here tonight, in my room.'' I repeat.

''are you sure love?'' he asks, and I nod my head as I bite my lip nervously. ''okay then, give me a minute.'' He says and walks back to his room.

I remove my coat and place it in on one of the couches as I slide into the left side of the bed. Theo walks in after a few minutes and slides in the right side of the bed. I turn towards him, ''hi'' I whisper. ''Hi'' he whispers back and rubs my cheek with his thumb as he blows a stray hair from my face. I scrunch my nose as his cool breath hits me. ''You look cute when you do that.'' He says and I blush furiously. ''We will get to the bottom of this Athena.'' I promise you and I nod. We stay like that for a while and suddenly a thought crosses my mind, ''why have you never attempted to kiss me?'' I say it bluntly, shocked at myself for even saying it.

Theo mirrors my expression as the look of shock is all over his face. '' You have no idea how many times I have stopped myself from kissing you,'' He says truthfully.

''What's stopping you now?'' I ask softly and he doesn't waste a second as he closes the gap between us and places his lips on mine. My whole skin lights up the moment our lips meet. His lips are soft as they mashed against mine, it wasn't a battle of dominance but just the both of us seeking closeness. We both pull away at the same time and stare at each other. ''We should do this more often.'' He says and I give him a hearty laugh as he pulls me closer and wraps his around me, kissing me one last time before I close my eyes and sleep immediately takes over me. For the first time in 2 nights I slept contentedly.

I'm woken up by a loud knock on the front door and find myself caged between 2 sturdy arms and a knowing smile forms on my lips as the mate bond buzzes. The knock gets louder and this time Theo stirs as he starts waking up. I look at the clock and see that it's half past 7. ''Oh my god, Theo wake up we slept in late.'' I say as I shake him away. ''5 more minutes' love.'' He replies groggily and I shove him off the bed. ''Get up now! Someone's at the door'' I shout at him while grabbing my robe and walking out as Theo gets up from the floor rubbing his butt. ''That hurt love.'' He mumbles and I wink at him in response.

Turns out it was Charles who decided to let himself in. ''The omega who brought your breakfast thought no one was in so I took the liberty to take it for you.'' He says while placing it on the counter as we walk out from my room. He notices this and raises an eyebrow in question. '' I see you two made up.'' He smirks and wiggles his eyebrows. ''don't start, Charles.'' I warn him and he keeps quiet.

''Theo man, Ashton has asked for you to meet him at his pack, he expects you to be there latest by 10.'' Charles announces. ''okay, I will be there.''

''Is everything okay?'' I ask as I get out the plates and coffee mugs. ''Ashton's having a rogue problem and since we border his pack we need to be cautious, and after last night we need to double our security.'' He answers and I mouth an ''ohh''.

''Join us for breakfast Charles?'' I ask and he nods as I pour him some coffee.

Theo and Charles leave for the pack house to finish up some work before they cross to the Eclipse pack. I sit in the living room working on my laptop when my ears perk up as I hear someone walk up the steps. I wait for them to knock and then proceed to open the door.

''Athena hii, so glad I found you here, it's weird walking up to the alpha's house.'' She says clearly relieved. ''Hazel hi come on in,'' I say as I open the door wide. She steps in and I see her eyes widen in marvel. ''Woahh this place is huge; it must be great living here,'' She comments.

''yeah, it has its perks.'' I reply casually. ''So what brings you here?'' I inquire.

''ohh yeah, sorry. The girls and I are going swimming down at the lake this afternoon and would really like it if you join us,'' She states.

''You guys have a lake here?'' I ask surprised. ''Yeah, Alpha Kevin had it made so that we can have a recreational activity to do, since there's nothing much that happens here,'' She replies.

''Alpha Kevin?'' I quiz. ''Yeah, He was the Alpha of Crescent before Alpha Theo took over and I nod in understanding. Theo has never spoken about his dad then again I never asked him and I make a mental note to ask him about it tonight.

''So will you come?'' Hazel says breaking my chain of thought and I inwardly scold myself for even forgetting that she's there.

''uhh yeah sure, sounds like plan,'' I say smiling at her.

''Okay cool, will be meeting up by the pack house at around 03:00 make sure to carry a bathing suit'' she says as she turns to leave.

I decide to pack my tribal print monokini and a white lace cover up in one of my beach bags. I pack three scarves of different colors that I had brought from Toronto, they were part of the second line that was showcased. I then put on a loose green dress over my swimsuit and some flip flops as I walk towards the pack house at 2:30. I thought it would be better for me to let Theo know that I will be out for the rest of the afternoon.

As I get to his office I sense another presence inside and decide to stay out. Soon a man who looked to be in his early 30s walked out, he offered me a polite smile and I returned one too.

''Get in love, I felt you coming from a distance,'' He says as I peep through the crack from the door.

''heyy'' I say as I walked into this office. Theo's office is huge. His desk is placed right in front of a huge 6-foot-wide window overlooking the pack. There is small library with different books on leaders, wolf mythology and more. There is another desk on the right side which is slightly smaller than his, I'm guessing it's Charles'.

''Hi, what brings you here?'' he asks. ''So Hazel and the girls are going swimming down the lake and they invited me with them, just thought I should tell you.'' I said.

''It's nice to see you mingling with pack members, have fun.'' He says and I nod as I walk out to wait for the rest of the girls.

Rachel is already down waiting and she hugs me as I walk up to her. ''So glad you could join us, Cathy's gone to the kitchen to get some food for us,'' she says as I spot Hazel making her way to us. Cathy comes out from the kitchen laden with food.

We walk for about 15 minutes and I see the lake, it was so beautiful with the sunlight reflecting on the waters making it shimmer. The girls and I quickly run to the shore and step into the water. ''ohhh my god. It's so cold'' I say as my feet touch the water and Rachel laughs, 'the water comes directly from those mountains there and I look at where she is pointing at. ''Amazing,'' I breath out.

''I know right'' she responds and we head back to the tree where we keep our bags and change into our swimsuits. I give the girls the scarves I had taken earlier and they each hugged me in thanks. I decide to get out of the water after a while and choose to soak in the sun.

As I'm seated looking over the horizon I get this urge to sketch and get my sketch pad out. I continue drawing when I hear a shuffling sound behind as a shadow looms over me.

''Some mad drawing skills you got there,'' a smooth voice says and I look up to meet a pair of deep striking black eyes that bore into mine; a mischievous smile playing on his face as he pulls out his hand for me to shake.

''Hi... I'm Sebastian,'' he says. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 326 27
What is the destiny of a she-wolf on the run to the human land? . . . At a young age, Alexia lost her parents. With her current status and rumours su...
410K 11.5K 42
Madison Walcott: She's a twenty two year old werewolf with a dark past she'd rather forget. Trying to move on with her life and make the most of it...
4K 339 35
"Trust is something I am in no position to give, Aden." ... Charlotte Rae is strict on her virtues and science; seeing is believing. Life needs no re...
10.2M 327K 49
BOOK 1 OF THE GIFT CHRONICLES ••• When the Moon Goddess created the first werewolves, she split one soul between the two of them, thus creating a per...