Tropes and Cliches

By BiamondAuthority

There are a lot of tropes like the Token Gal and really hilarious cliches like Clumsy unless in Combat.And I... More

Sup
Chosen One And Prophecies: In General
Chosen Ones and Prophecies: The "Chosen" Chosen One
Chosen One and Prophecies: Legacy Chosen One
Chosen Ones and Prophecies: The Prophetic Chosen One
Stoic Characters
Delinquent Hair
Stockholm Syndrome
Lima Syndrome
Planet of the Hats
Love Triangles: In General
Love Triangles:Sibling Triangle
Interracial Relationships
Love Triangles: Rich Suitor, Poor Suitor
No Social Skills
Villain Has A Point
-Dere Personalities :In gerneral
Tricksters
Formally Fat
Strong Female Characters
Philosopher's Stone
LGBTQ+ Characters
MacGuffin
Deus Ex Machina
Idol/Celebrity Storylines
Identity Crisis/ Loss of Identity
World Building: In General
Love Triangle: Betty and Veronica
Sibling Tropes: In general
Five Man Band: In General
Achilles in His Tent
World Building : Religions
Tokenism: In General
Story Telling through Relationships: In General
True Love's Kiss
Man vs.....Coflict-In general
Tournament Arcs
Plot Holes
Everyone is Gay
Enemies to Lovers
Romanticized Abuse
World Building: Civil War
Magic Systems: In General
Sibling Tropes : Sibling Rivalry
Realism
Tokenism: Five Token Band
Allegories and Social Commentary: Part 1
Plot Twists- In General
World Building: Gender Roles.
Time Travel: In General
Dragons
Generational Trauma
Character Archetypes: In General
Horror Tropes: IN GENERAL
Sequels:In Genernal
Nepotism
Character Development: In General

Antagonist vs Villain

148 2 0
By BiamondAuthority

So many people can't tell the difference between a villain and an antagonist. Easy mistake. Just remember all villains are antagonists but not all antagonists are villains. Antagonists are characterized by simple opposition. They aren't necessarily evil, they merely have opposing actions, thoughts, motives, etc. to (in a story) the protagonist and easily be one of the heroes or part of the five man band.  Whereas the villain is the person who tends to have a negative effect on other characters, normally through doing something cruel and unusual, can they can range from misunderstood or straight pure evil.
Now this can only apply to a few things, namely anime and comic books that have a new villain every other week.But it can apply almost anything. With video game logic, they're normally side bosses or mini bosses. Maybe even the lackeys. In cartoons, it depends on the genre. Now let's apply this to a few things. 

Starting with Avatar The Last Airbender, Zuko started out at villain status, but was later down graded to antagonist in Book: Earth through half of Book: Fire before finishing up his little redemption arc. Why is he considered an antagonist? Well in "Earth" we're introduced to Azula who is slightly more powerful than Zuko and then a little later Fire Lord Ozai himself. 

In Naruto and by extension Naruto Shippuden, there was more so an antagonist of the arc that was later extended to an antagonist that was really the villain but later plot twists happened. Gaara was an antagonist while Orochimaru was the villain before being downgraded to antagonist for Shippuden....I'm seeing a trend is anyone else seeing a trend?

Let's look at Disney. Nowadays there isn't a lot of people I would call villains. Just antagonist. Hans? A horrible person. Ta fiti (...think that's misspelled) was pissed that her stuff was stolen. A true villain....I'd say Frollo because he was willing to kill a baby after killing a woman on the steps of a church...and he's rapey, don't care if that's not a word, he's creepy as hell. 

Now please remember this when you're writing. Now when you have a line up of villains, the antagonist can be one's self or other people. Like in Captain Planet, Ma-ti is the youngest and the smallest, so the others are often looking out for him. Now he's possibly the strongest out of all them, but we might never know because the guy goes emo every third episode....the 90s were weird. Or you hero/ protagonist might accidentally butt heads with the locals over what to do about a sickness. Medicine is an obvious answer, but the locals may believe modern medicine is witchcraft as declared by the local religion. The religious head is the villain in this situation and the locals are the antagonists.  Just remember an antagonist can be a who or what  and the villain is always a who.   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.6K 2.5K 32
❝There has to be some way to get out. There just has to be.❞ ❝Everybody says that. Then they realize they're stuck. And they stay stuck because they'...
10.9K 446 23
This book contains our collection of contests and challenges that will test your writing mettle! Don those masks and capes and take part in a battle...
HERO By Shaun Allan

Science Fiction

19.7K 2.4K 62
**WATTY 2021 SHORLIST!** What's your superpower? Everyone has one right? That's why the world is falling apart. After a cure for a terrible pandemic...
597K 29.7K 200
Personal, real-life paranormal experiences from the Paranormal Community. Because sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.