Prince Charmings (BOOK ONE)

By icanbeinterestingtoo

LIFE IS ALL BUT A FAIRYTALE IN WAITING In which Beau Minders inability to think for himself lands him in lega... More

*PRINCE CHARMINGS*
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
~UPLOAD BREAK~
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38

11

895 82 106
By icanbeinterestingtoo

The rain hit hard enough Saturday morning I was sure I'd wake up to a text from Tommo saying the race was called off.

Of course, since my friend was virtually indestructible, he took the weather as a challenge, outshone every other person in the race, and bought us lunch after it was over. Warming my still trembling fingers on the wall heater I laughed at Tommo's smug grin.

"Dude you gotta stop making that face, I can only politely ignore so much food falling out your mouth," I said through a chuckle, tossing a napkin his way. The rain had dipped enough that I was sure I could get away with walking the bike back home and not riding it. The seat was stiff, enough of a pain in the ass that it wasn't worth getting places faster if I could avoid it.

Tommo balled up his dirty napkin and melted against his side of the booth, simmering in self-praise. "That was a good race."

"Very good," I offered off-handedly, thanking the waitress who passed by to fill our coffee cups. I cradled mine, slowly regaining feeling in my fingers. I had the sneaking suspicion that I was catching a cold, which didn't bode well since Han had me shifted to volunteer at the library the following week.

"I don't know why I was so worried," Tommo added, strumming his finger against the table.

"That's what we've all been telling you," I chided him, reaching over to steal one of his remaining fries. They were soggy from having sat out so long but I relished the carbs, trying to decipher why I thought the soup was a good option. "You've got nothing to worry about. Scouts love you. The entire school loves you. Face it Tommo, you're kind of the shit."

"I am, aren't I?" He smirked and I rolled my eyes, slipping out of the booth.

"And now you're just cocky. C'mon now before your head gets too big to fit through the front doors." I said, motioning for him to get up. Waving me off Tommo threw down a few bills for the tip, walking to the doors. Leaned against the telephone pole outside the diner Tommo watched as I attempted to unlock my bike.

"Didn't peg you as a matte black kind of guy," he mused, gesturing at the bane of my existence.

"What did you think? Neon stripes? Puppy stickers and purple streamers?" I asked, yanking on the lock when it refused to accept my combination.

"Somewhere in the middle," he smirked before pushing me away, taking the lock in hand. "Combination?"

"It's a secret," I teased, grinning coyly while Tommo matched me with an unimpressed look. "Thirteen-Seventy-Seven. Dad set it."

Entering the digits Tommo easily pulled the lock free, rolling my bike towards me.

"Fuck off with that grin," I grumbled, kicking his shin as he laughed.

"Tender touch," he grinned, wiggling his fingers and I batted his hands away.

"You do that again and my responses will not be tender," I warned, huffing as Tommo crushed the helmet onto my head.

"I'll see you Monday," He chirped, hands tucked into the pockets of his joggers as he started down the street.

"We're going the same way dumbass, wait up!" I huffed, power walking to his side.

"I'm thinking of taking the scenic route, smell the roses and shit. You keen?" He asked, checking the time on his phone before glancing at me.

Shrugging I let him guide the way. "Why not? If we get caught in the rain though, you're paying my bus fare."

Tommo smiled and nodded. "Whatever man."

We barely made it two blocks before both our phones pinged. Pulling mine loose from sweatshirt pocket I raised a brow at the status update staring me down.

JEREMY CLARK is in a relationship with JESSICA ANDREWS.

"Huh," Tommo vocalized beside me, shoving his phone back into his pants. "You alright?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

Tommo sent me a look before shrugging. "No reason. I am a little surprised though, that they haven't burned out. God knows Clark sucks at consistency."

"Jessica's good for him," I shrugged back, gripping the bike a little tighter as the pavement switched to rocky gravel. "Guy seems happier."

"The guys smoking his lungs out, I don't know if I class that as happier," Tommo snorted. "But each to their own, it's kept him busy at least."

"Very true," I nodded. I hadn't heard a word from him since he broke his phone.

"Fuck," I cursed, stopping in my tracks. "I told Mitchell I would be at the garage today with Jenny's car."

"So no scenic route?" Tommo asked, brow raised as I failed to straddle the bike. Gripping the handlebars he held it steady enough for me to hop on.

"Raincheck on the scenic route," I said, offering a quick goodbye before rushing towards the main bridge to head home.

Parking the bike on the lawn I gave myself a moment to catch my breath then headed inside, calling out for Jenny.

"Geez Beau, where's the fire?" she chuckled, slowly descending from the stairs, features a blur under a thick green face mask. Trailing behind her was April, face also covered and disturbing.

"Am I interrupting something?" I asked, brow raised.

"April has a pimple on her forehead-"

"Jenny!" April hissed, neck growing red.

"What, it's perfectly natural dear. God knows your father was littered with them at your age before he realized the benefits of showering more than once a week," Jenny rambled before redirecting her attention my way. "Why are you so flustered?"

"I forgot I was taking your car in today. Keys?"

Jenny beckoned April to retrieve them, walking forward to slap a hand to my forehead.

"Maybe you should try a mask too when you get back. You're rather greasy," she frowned, wiping her hand on my shirt.

"Thanks," I replied, tune flat as I accepted the keys from April's palm and headed back outside. Loading the bike I groaned when Flemming appeared from the backyard, dropping onto the porch steps to watch me.

"What?" I asked, not bothering to look back at my cousin.

"Nothing, just funny watching you lug that thing around."

"Do you not have any friends... or like a hobby, something to do other than bother me?" I huffed, slamming the trunk shut.

"You're very tightly wound, Beau. Does this have anything to do with Jeremy's Facebook update?" Flemming responded, tone condescending and head tilted.

I huffed, crossing to the driver's side of the car. "Go inside or I may run you over. And stop prying into my life, get your own."

Shutting the door I started the car, sending Flemming back the finger as he wandered inside. The garage Mitchell worked at, though out of the way, was pretty busy. Every time I swung by there were at least ten cars on the go and people flitting about. Which was why I was a little surprised to find Mitchell on his own, feet kicked up on the reception desk, watching a Japanese dubbed episode of Friends.

"Which episode?" I asked, more to fill time than genuine interest.

"Not sure the name, all I know is it's the one where Joey sees Rachel naked," Mitchell said, slinging his feet onto the floor before beckoning me to follow him into the garage. Walking up to the car he let out a low whistle, eyes trailing the deep scrape.

"How bad is it?"

"Compared to how Jeremy described it, a cakewalk," Mitchell said, waving it off. "Nothing a couple hundred bucks and a few licks of paint can't fix."

"When can I pick it up?" I asked, popping the trunk and wiggling my bike loose. Mitchell stepped over and in one clean pull got the thing free, dumping it at my side.

Was I really the only person who sucked when it came to that goddamn bike?

"I've got the day clear until three so I'll start working on it now. I'll text you when it's done, but it'll most likely be Monday afternoon. Jen can come pick it up."

"Lifesaver," I said, hopping onto the bike.

"Whatever," he chuckled, nudging the deepest part of the scrape with his boot. "See you, kid."

I waved back, pedaling out the garage and onto the sidewalk. Pausing at a traffic light I glanced at the street signs, one heading towards Koby's store and the other home. On a whim I biked to Koby's store, texting Jenny if she needed anything small. She immediately texted back asking for more face masks, making me regret offering. Locking the bike to the telephone pole in the parking lot I sent her a message I'd be home in a half-hour with it. Shaking my hair free from the clump it had become under the helmet I stepped inside the store, instantly hit by a heatwave that made my entire body warm up tenfold. Koby sat at the counter, engrossed in a Playboy magazine I didn't even know they still printed.

"No cash is kept on the premises and there's a gun strapped underneath the counter," he said in place of greeting, eyes not leaving the magazine page.

"Nice to see you've beefed up security," I said, causing Koby's head to perk up.

"Beau Derek, what a wonderful surprise. Where are your other halves?" he said, reclining back in his chair. The white shirt he wore was riddled in sweat stains and the dude had a good couple weeks worth of stubble cluttering his chin.

"You got any face creams?" I asked instead, redirecting the conversation.

Koby thumped his feet onto the ground, tracking my movements as I grabbed a bag of chips before throwing them down onto the counter.

"Aisle nine," he said, waving in the general direction, scanning the chips. "So, what's it like to be a hardened criminal? Should I be concerned with your presence in my store?"

"If I were to break into your store and set it on fire, don't you think I would've done it already? I know the alarm code." I scoffed, remembering the second time we'd hit up Koby for beer and the guy let slip the code in a bid to appear cool.

"Very funny, which reminds me I should probably change it," Koby muttered, the last part more to himself than me. I nodded, finally locating the face masks.

"Might be a good idea."

Ringing me up I took the bag briskly, offering a goodbye with a vague promise to stop by again soon with the guys. It was only when I got to the bike that I noticed a familiar hatchback idling in a carpark, signal still blinking.

Without thinking my feet wandered towards it and I found myself knocking on the window. A startled Spencer stared back at me, clutching his heart before recognition took over. Cutting the engine he popped the door open, offering me a flustered smile.

"What happened to working?" I smirked as Spencer stepped out, attempting to lock the door. "Signal's still on."

"Oh, right," he said, flicking it off sheepishly before locking up. "Work is still definitely happening, I just promised to pick up a crate of soda. Something I was meant to do at six-thirty but now I am rushing to cover up the fact I forgot to come here."

"Shit dude, sleep in?"

"Oh yeah, had a late night. Spent a good few hours scrubbing dye off my arms," he laughed, a little frantically, before starting towards the store. "Luckily my boss isn't in today and Debbie's watching the store until her shift ends, which means I have fifteen minutes to pick up the crate and get back."

"Shit, I'll let you go then," I said, making my way to my bike.

"Oh, no, no. Sorry, always good to catch up, but yeah... a little stressed leaving Deb alone. She tends to make whatever she can remember from an order and overcharges. She's new. The boss's niece. And I hate her." Spencer rambled, all but walking into my bike. "Oh, Jesus."

"Okay," I laughed, grabbing his shoulders to reorientate him. "Seriously, I'm gonna let you go before you blow an artery or something."

"Might be a good idea," he sighed, running a hand down his face. "Forgot to say before, but nice bike."

"Hate the thing. The seat's the most uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on." I grumbled, casting the bike a dirty look.

"I've never ridden one so I can't say I know the feeling," he chuckled, trailing off at my surprised look.

"You've never ridden a bike? How?"

"My Mom just never got around to it. Forced me to play LaCrosse, now there are some stories for another time."

"I could teach you." I blurted out, surprising both of us. Spencer glanced at the bike then at me before smiling.

"I'm not sure gravel is the best surface to learn on," he said, motioning around the dusty parking lot.

That kicked my blush up to full force.

Flustered, I corrected myself. "I didn't mean now. You're busy. With the soda and whatnot. I meant in general. If you wanted to I mean... not to make this weird or anything, it's cool if you don't wanna learn. Bikes suck–"

"Okay, I'm gonna cut off whatever spiraling you're in the middle of here," Spencer cut in, gentle smile betraying the fact he wanted to laugh in my face. "I'll definitely take you up on that offer sometime but I really gotta bolt."

"Right, of course." I stuttered.

"See you, Beau," he said, jogging towards the storefront and I let out a soft groan, slamming my forehead against the handlebars.

Fucking moron.

Hopping onto the bike I clutched the bag tightly, slowly cycling home and giving my mind a moment to calm down.

April greeted me at the front door, mask removed, and a small pinprick of red adorning the right side of her forehead.

"This is the fabled Pimple of Doom?" I scoffed, flicking the spot.

"Beau!" she screamed, slapping my arm. "Not cool. We can't all just have great skin."

"Maybe if you stopped putting so much crap on your face you would too," I quipped back, dumping the bag onto the living room table.

"Spoken like a true boy," April muttered, flopping onto the couch. Jenny entered the room, hands cradling a hot mug of tea that she placed before April.

"Thanks, Beau," she smiled, pinching my cheek. Behind her Flemming appeared, face encased in purple and with a baby blue towel wrapped around his shoulders.

"Jesus Christ," I gaped in horror.

"What?" he said, rolling his eyes as he took a place besides April. "I'm comfortable in my masculinity. You have a problem, Beau?"

"You're too comfortable," I muttered, earning a hard look from Jenny.

"You're not getting out of this either, Beau. This is a family bonding experience. Go rinse your face and come down here so I can apply your mask."

I stared at Jenny in disbelief. "I'm not putting that crap on my face."

"Family bonding."

"But-"

"Go wash your face, Beau."

"Jenny-"

"Go wash your face."

"Fuck." I cursed, leaving the room to wash my face.

When I returned a bowl filled with green goo awaited me, Jenny ominously stirring it.

"Family bonding time," Flemming smirked, gleefully leaning forward as Jenny began to smear the stuff all over my face. It stunk of unnatural mint and strawberries.

"Don't you just love family bonding," April grinned back.

I sent her a soft glare back before pressing my lips shut as Jenny pasted over them.

The things you do for family.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

After Dark By Z

Teen Fiction

16.5K 583 42
γ€Š This is a BoyxBoy story 》 William Caddel wants to live. Between crushing expectations and the strictness that comes with them that seems like such...
157K 14K 34
Noah Riley didn't mean to drown, or did he? But waking up in another boy's hoodie entices him not only to live a little longer but also to solve the...
21.9K 828 10
Liam has a bad habit of closing off his emotions. His tendency to numb has led him to quite the lonesome life, but it's not so bad. Until he meets Sp...
31K 3K 66
Reserved and private, Jon is rocked with a glitter bomb of queer affection when he collides with former crush, Kurt. Jon's an introvert. Kurt's an ex...