Helena Stark: A WWII Survivor

By KiraKisa

Helena Stark woke up in a world she did not think possible. A few years could go by, at least that's what she... More

chapter one: Strucker
chapter two: Steve
chapter three: Strings
chapter four: Stark
chapter five: Stork
chapter six: Safe
chapter seven: Sorry
chapter eight: Seal
chapter nine: Splendid
chapter ten: SHIELD
chapter eleven: Seen
chapter twelve: Samuel
chapter thirteen: Starry-eyed
chapter fourteen: Sorrow
chapter sixteen: Sense
chapter seventeen: Signature
chapter eighteen: Stagger
chapter nineteen: Sharon
chapter twenty: S1
chapter twenty-one: Shattered
chapter twenty-two: Say

chapter fifteen: Sing

672 26 6
By KiraKisa

"Are you sure you don't want to say anything?" Sharon asked me as I stood outside waiting for Steve to show up. "You two were best friends." 

"I don't think I could get up there and not start crying," I told her honestly. "Peggy deserves more than that today, and you can do that for her." 

"I'll see you after?" Sharon asked.

"We'll catch up," I agreed. 

"Here comes your man," Sharon said. "You know, she was always hoping you two would get married."

"I know," I said smiling as Steve saw me. 

"I better go in," Sharon said, but she left before I could reply.

"Helena," Steve said as he pulled me into a tight hug. "Were you-"

"No," I told him gently. "How are you holding up?" 

"There's too much going on," Steve said honestly. 

"I heard," I told him as Steve walked up. 

"Tony?" 

"He's asked me to be at the signing in his place," I said. "Told me it was a political thing, didn't really get into specifics until Natasha called me to try to convince you."

"And?" 

"I'm no superhero," I told him honestly. "But I trust your judgment. However, I stand by my word, so I'll be there to represent Tony. Sneaky little nephew, he wanted to make sure that-"

"You wouldn't get pulled down with me if I do something they don't like," Steve said. 

"I hate to interrupt you two, but we should go in," Sam said joining us. "How you doing?"

"I've been worse," I answered honestly as he gave me a tight hug. 

"I'll see you two inside," Steve said, and Sam walked me in. 

"How bad is it?" I asked.

"Looks like a crack right down the middle so far," Sam answered. 

"I'm glad that I never joined," I muttered.

"You'd be a good voice of reason," Sam said. 

"I think that's what Vision's for."

~*~

I wouldn't turn around as the children began to sing.

I kept myself facing forward.

I looked at the picture of my best friend. 

I could feel my heart breaking at losing another person I love. 

I could tell that Steve felt the same as he sat down next to me and held my hand tightly. 

I held onto him, because I knew without him...

I would be lost. 

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words," the priest said. I looked up as Sharon walked up, but Steve wasn't paying attention. It was Sam who nudged him, and I could feel the surprise as Steve looked at Sharon. 

I smiled to myself when he glanced at me, he didn't know his lovely neighbor was Peggy's niece. "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D.," Sharon began, "but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related.

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. Aunt Peggy joked it was because her good friend Helena couldn't," Sharon said, and people chuckled as I blushed. 

"But really, she said to compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree look them in the eye and say... No, you move." 

~*~

I stood in front of the altar, just wishing that I could go back in time just to spend time with my best friend. To have her stand up to my wedding, be my maid of honor, be a godmother to one of my children. To just get back the time that was stolen from me. 

Steve came up next to me and grabbed my hand, "I'm gonna miss her," I told him quietly. "Even if she wasn't the same Peggy that I knew, just coming to see her, it made me realize that everything was worth it."

"Rosemary told me that Peggy was her rock growing up," Steve said. "Peggy helped Rosemary through losing you, she even tried to get Peggy to walk her down the aisle."

I smiled sadly, "Peggy had a way of always knowing what to say, what to do, and how to act." Steve was about to reply, but he turned to look behind us at Natasha. "Here's my ride." 

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I had known was gone," Steve told us as he looked at the picture of Peggy. "Then I found out she was alive. I was just lucky to have her."

"She had you back, too," Natasha reminded him.

"Peggy really wanted Helena, but who could blame her," Steve joked lamely and I swatted his arm. 

"She had us both," I said gently. 

"Who else signed?" Steve asked. 

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision," Natasha said. 

"Clint?" Steve asked. 

"Says he's retired," she answered. 

"Wanda?"

"TBD." 

Steve turned to me, but I held up my hands. "I'm no superhero, just a figurehead that agreed to be there before I knew what was going on."

"We're off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords," Natasha said. "There's plenty of room on the jet. Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together." 

"What are we giving up to do it?" Steve asked, and leaned my head onto his shoulder. "I'm sorry, Nat. I can't sign it."

"I know," Natasha said. 

"Then why are you here?" Steve asked. 

"Because you both need a friend." 

~*~

"Are you sure about this?" Steve asked as he stood in front of the plane. "You don't have to do this for Tony, you can stay here." Natasha was already on the plane, and listening to every word we said. I knew that Steve wanted me to stay with him, but I knew he wouldn't be alone.

"I gave Tony my word," I told him gently. "I might be a lot of things, but I won't go back on my word. Especially not when family is involved. No matter how much that family was just using me to try to get you to sign."

Steve smiled, "Tony's doing what he thinks is right."

"And so are you," I said gently. "Unfortunately, Tony asked me to be there before you asked me to stay here with you."

"Family beats the boyfriend," Steve joked.

"You're family to me as much as Tony," I told Steve pointedly. "Or Rosemary, but like the last time there was a family feud between the guy who was basically my brother, and the man I love, I get to play mediator. No matter how much I don't want to, I've gotta try to keep things from blowing up in my face." 

"The man you love?" Steve questioned, and I blushed furiously.

"Well, of course, I'm talking about-" 

"Yes?" Steve asked as with a large smile, "who are you talking about."

I kissed his cheek quickly, "don't do anything stupid while I'm gone."

"How can I?" Steve asked. "All of the stupid is with your nephew."

"Can't argue with that," I muttered as I walked up the gangway, but I stopped. 

"Helena?" Steve questioned as I turned around and practically flew into his arms. "What are you-" He got his answer as I kissed him right then and there, and he didn't seem to object. I pulled away blushing profusely, "what was that for."

"I love you, Steve," I told him seriously. "And I wanted to make sure you knew." 

~*~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

195K 10K 89
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
128K 4.8K 81
Beuren Elendil became friend with Thorin of Durin when they were quite young. Their first battle was fought together, their first tragedy was faced t...
116K 2.7K 30
๐‘“๐‘œ๐‘Ÿ๐‘’๐‘ฃ๐‘’๐‘Ÿ, ๐‘– ๐‘ค๐‘–๐‘™๐‘™ ๐’‘๐’“๐’๐’•๐’†๐’„๐’• ๐‘Ž๐‘›๐‘‘ ๐’๐’๐’—๐’† ๐‘ฆ๐‘œ๐‘ข ๐‘Žโ„Ž๐‘˜๐‘š๐‘’๐‘›๐‘Ÿ๐‘Žโ„Ž. ยฉ -flowemoons 2018 โ”€ based night at the museum 1, 2 & 3
6.9K 141 7
A lot can happen in five years, at least in Anastasia's experience it does. She leaves, she comes back, she meets new people, she continues to strugg...