DEREK'S MATCH (DEREK #1) SAMP...

By jamigallardo1012

"I'll call you Gin, like your drink." Savannah Garcia regrets moving to New York. What was she thinking? Culi... More

Please read
please read
1. one of these nights
2. on the house
3. you're my match
4. the girl from the bar
5. self-entitled rich guys
6. you're welcome, world
7. just come with me
8. little black dress
9. steal my date
10. no smug comments
11. the feeling is mutual
12. who is this?
14. pushing your luck
15. too much
16. anything, everything
17. more than a friend
18. bad gossip
19. savannah to you
20. how we met
21. you say no
22. the perfect ratio
23. show you off
24. what they do
25. someone else
26. like magnets
27. remember me?
28. maybe
29. call me back

13. don't want to share

30K 1.5K 303
By jamigallardo1012

I look out the window as the plane flies in between the clouds. I love being on a plane. I love how everything becomes so small because I'm reminded of how insignificant we all are. We walk around this world thinking we own it when we are next to nothing in the galaxy.

It's just amazing.

It's Saturday morning and I'm on my way to Los Angeles. It's about a three hour flight since there are no stops in between, so I should be there by noon. This is crazy. Even now, as I look out the window, I still can't believe I'm doing this.

After I told Kim about it, she offered to cover my shift on Sunday.

"Are you sure?" I asked her Thursday night during our shift. "I didn't tell you so that you would cover me."

"I know," she says rolling her eyes. "I want to. What are girlfriends for?" she looked at me. "You do want to go, right?"

I thought about denying it and saying that no, I didn't want to go. But, of course, I didn't. Why deny it? I didn't make Derek invite me. He invited me all by himself and I really want to go, so why not go?

So here I am, on my way to meet Derek Collins in California.

This is wild.

The anticipation of seeing him grows by the minute. I'm a nervous wreck by the time the plane finally lands. It's not until I'm making my way out of the airport that I realize Derek didn't tell me where to meet him. I know I could take an Uber but to where?

The airport is full of people rushing up and down with bags over their shoulders and suitcases rolling behind them. All I brought with me is a backpack. Just enough clothes for two days. It took a lot of self-control to not overpack. It's just two days and one night. I'll be back in New York tomorrow. It makes me feel sad and relieved at the same time.

I'm on the escalator going down when I decide I should probably call Derek. I take out my phone and get ready to call him but before I press his name on my contacts, I see him.

He's at the bottom of the escalator wearing jeans with black and white Vans and a black T-shirt. Even from the escalator, I can see the way his shirt sleeves hug his muscular arms. He's wearing a black cap but it didn't seem to serve its purpose because people seem to recognize him. A group of women and teenagers are crowded around him, all talking at the same time while taking pictures and selfies with him.

As I watch this, I remind myself that he is here for me.

This hot and famous celebrity is here for me. I still can't comprehend that this is happening.

As if sensing that I'm looking at him, he looks up as I reach the end of the escalator and step on the first floor of the airport.

"Sorry, everyone," Derek says as he begins to walk backwards. "My girl is here. I have to go."

My girl is here.

He's talking about me, right?

"Aww." All the girls complain and watch as he walks away.

"Please don't follow me," he says when they all take a couple steps forward.

I laugh as he reaches me. "You know, they're gonna follow you right?" I ask as I glance at them. They all have their phones out and are taking pictures of Derek...of us.

Derek nods. "Yeah, we better get going."

I follow his lead down the airport, trusting that he knows the exit. I know he must travel a lot. Airports must be a second home to him.

"So, how are you, Gin?" he asks with a cheeky grin as he nudges my shoulder with his.

I smile, looking straight ahead. "I'm good. How are you?"

"Excited that you decided to come," he says.

I turn to look at him. "Thank you for inviting me."

"I wouldn't want to spend the weekend with anyone else." he winks at me.

I have to look away to hide my hot cheeks.

He looks behind us then puts his arm around my shoulders. "We should hurry up," he says as we speed up.

It's hard to keep up with him but we're able to make it out of the airport. He puts on shades when we get outside and leads us down the pathway to a shiny, red Tesla parked by the curb.

I raise an eyebrow at him when he opens the door for me. "Is this yours?"

"No, I rented it. I know how much you love Teslas." he shrugs with a smile. "You're welcome."

I bite my lip, trying to bite back a satisfied laugh, then I get in the car. Truth is, I didn't know how much I loved Teslas until I met his car. I knew about them, of course, and I've always thought they were pretty cars but damn, I hope I make enough money one day to own one.

Derek walks around the car then gets in the driver's seat and turns on the car. I look out the window as he drives away, getting behind the traffic.

"Have you ever been in California?" he asks.

I shake my head. "No." I turn to look at him. "Where are we going?"

"I hope you're not too tired. We're going Six Flags," he says. "You like rollercoasters?"

He's asking if I'm too tired as if I'm about to spend my time here sleeping. "Uh, I'm not the biggest fan."

"Aw, come on, Gin. It'll be fun."

I roll my eyes at him. He seems excited about this and I don't want to be a party pooper so I nod. "Okay, but if I die it's on you."

"I'll take full responsibility," he says making me laugh. "It's just an hour drive. We'll probably make it there in less time with this baby." he taps on the steering wheel.

I frown. "Are you sure it's a good idea to go to an amusement park? People are just going to follow you everywhere."

"I've been there and people don't recognize me. There's too many people." he shrugs. "Plus, I got my shades."

I snort. "Right, because that hides your face really well."

He turns to look at me and grins. "What's wrong, Gin? You don't want to share me with anyone?"

I roll my eyes as I turn my head to the window. "Shut up."

He chuckles. "Give me your hand."

I turn to look at his extended hand as he keeps his left hand on the wheel. "What for?" I ask suspiciously.

"I want to hold it, silly," he says smoothly.

Okay, it's time to admit it.

Derek Collins is officially the smoothest guy I've ever met.

I place my left hand on his reluctantly, and he intertwines his fingers with mine confidently, as if we were boyfriend and girlfriend and this is the millionth time we've held hands. He rests them on his lap and the tingles in my stomach go wild.

"Can I play music?" I ask as he gets on the freeway.

"You can do anything you want, Gin."

I smile then reach out for my phone and connect it to the bluetooth. Derek holds my hand as he drives and I turn up the music. I've been so focused on him, I'd forgotten that I'm in California. I look out the window as the car speeds down the freeway. It's a sunny Saturday afternoon. I see a lot of outlet malls on the side.

There's so much open sky here compared to New York. I think it's because I'm used to the tall buildings always hovering over us in the city. I forgot how big the sky is. It's like an intake of fresh air.

It reminds me of Newport and it makes me feel homesick. I miss my parents and my sister so much. I miss my parents' inn and the beach.

My parents own an inn that is right in front of the ocean. Before I came to New York, I was helping them run it so I spend a lot of time there. I really wish I could visit them. I want to see them and meet my nephew.

I try to push those sad thoughts away and continue to take all the sights around me.

It's around two in the afternoon when we reach the amusement park.

"I can't believe you're making me walk all that," I say as we get out of the car. I eye the long way to the entrance and bite back a groan. I'm used to walking but why walk when you have a shiny red Tesla?

"Come on, it's not that bad," he says putting on his Ray Ban sunglasses.

I look at him in awe. He's too handsome to be real yet he is. Even with his cap and sunglasses on, he still looks like himself and I really hope he's right and he doesn't get recognized because he's right: I don't want to share him with anyone.

At least not today.

Today, I want him to make up the date we went to the other night. I want to pretend he's a normal guy and we're another ordinary couple at an amusement park.

I'm glad I decided to dress casual. I'm wearing worn-out jeans with a blue blouse and my checkered Vans. My hair is loose around my shoulders. It's a good hair day today.

Derek puts his right arm around my shoulders as we walk and I smile. There is no doubt in my mind: I'm going to be the girl with the hottest guy in this park. No one can fight me on this.

"Did you have breakfast?" He asks as we walk.

I nod. "Yes."

"Good. We'll eat after we ride all the rides."

"All of them?" I ask, knowing there's probably a lot. I've heard of the rides in Six Flags. I was being honest when I said I'm not into rollercoasters. I'm not the best with heights but I don't want to spoil this. I'm sure it'll be fun with Derek, as much as I hate to admit it.

"Yes," he says looking at me with a smile.

I shake my head at him. "Don't smile at me like that."

He chuckles. "Like what?"

I laugh. "Whatever. You know what you're doing."

"Are you trying to compliment me?"

I roll my eyes with a smile. "I'm sure you know you have a nice smile."

He stops walking and looks at me, shocked. He's so dramatic, I swear. "You like my smile, Gin?"

I laugh nervously. "You're going to make me admit it?"

"Yes," he says smirking at me, pulling his sunglasses off.

"I think you have a nice smile."

"You have to look at me when you say it, though, or it doesn't count."

"You're so annoying." I laugh.

"Go on." He grins.

I meet his blue eyes. "You have a nice smile."

A boyish grin spreads on his lips, showing his straight teeth. "I think it's more than nice but I'll take it."

"Unbelievable." I shake my head but I'm smiling.

He reaches for my hand. "Before we go on with the day, I wanted to apologize."

I frown. "You want to apologize." I echo because Derek Collins doesn't apologize. At least not voluntarily.

"For abandoning you all week." He explains as he reaches out to touch a strand of my hair. "I know it didn't exactly prove my intentions with you."

"You were busy," I say with a shrug.

Yeah, right, Savannah. As if you didn't spend all week waiting for a call or just a text even. I realize that he should be apologizing.

"It won't happen again," he says. "This casting was just very important to me and I wanted to do the best I could."

I look at him and wonder how this is the same obnoxious guy I met more two weeks ago. He looks genuine when he says this and it makes me feel like there's hope. Maybe he's a good guy, very, very, very, deep down.

"Thank you for apologizing," I say then decide I should be honest as well. "I did wait for your call all week," I say more quietly.

He grins. "Wow, really?"

I roll my eyes at him. "We should go. The day isn't getting any longer."

"You're right," he says as he intertwines his fingers with mine. The sunglasses go back on.

I know it's real but I can't believe I'm holding hands with Derek Collins as we make our way to the amusement park.

God. I hope this doesn't end in a disaster like it did the last time.

No disasters, I pray in my head as we walk, please no disasters, because I know I'll cry for sure this time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

232 46 27
-Story contains explicit material and is for mature audiences only- Isla now knows what heartbreak feels like and she despises it. Alone in a town...
195K 6.3K 35
[Complete - Wattpad Featured Story April 2018 ] "You have a contract?" Chase ripped the papers out of Lewis' hands. "And you signed it?" "It's a goo...
3.1K 92 23
Savannah is your typical teenage girl. She doesn't drink or do drugs. She has friends and a boyfriend who is the shittiest of the all. This all chang...
38.8K 643 36
~COMPLETED~ ~~~ "Say my name." He says into my ear. He presses even closer to me, and I feel everything. Everything. "Ash." I gasp. He picks me up a...