The Ruined Rainbow

By SayeshaL

Cover credits: @missoctowriter Earlier known as, "The Sweetest Smiles Have The Darkest Secrets." ***** Two p... More

THE RUINED RAINBOW
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
Author's Note
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97

CHAPTER 22

429 17 0
By SayeshaL

"Love will find a way through paths where wolves fear to prey."
- Lord Byron

"

I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you."
- Roy Croft

*
Ayesha

"Aneesh Gupta. My boyfriend."

The words fell out before I could stop them. I didn't want to tell his name. I didn't want to be reminded of him. I didn't wish to Sahil to know. I didn't want to tell Sahil about him. I definitely didn't want to spoil both our moods now.

Saying his name aloud, All I wanted to do right now was to cry. Cry until the stars came down to earth until life ceased to exist.

I looked at the photo before looking at Sahil. His eyes were suddenly blank and shattered. His face turned pale. He stared at me for a minute before he lowered the photo and stepped backwards. He took another step back, still looking at me and then turned away, walking to the study table and placing the photo on the table. He put his fingers on the picture and moved them down as if feeling it.
I couldn't see his expression, cause he was not facing me.

After a long silence, he asked me, his voice heavy, still not looking at me,

"So, you guys are a thing? Like in a serious relationship?" His voice shook a little.

I shook my head; he obviously could not see.

"No," I said, my voice shaking a lot, threatening to break down, "No. We broke up. Two years ago."

Sahil immediately turned. His face is still blank. I close my eyes, and slide down the wall, sitting down leaning on my wardrobe, my knees shaking as I place my head on them. Two tears trickled down my cheek.

The next thing I feel his warm hands that are gently lifting my head. I look up to find Sahil sitting close to me, his one hand brushing off my curly hair from my face, while the other remained on my cheek. And once done with brushing my hair, he placed the other hand on my cheek. His thumbs, wiping away the tears that have trickled down my cheek. He then slowly pulled me closer to him, my head on his warm chest, where I can hear his heartbeat. His head is over mine and his hands around my neck. I closed my eyes, and tears continue to fall, wetting Sahil's red t-shirt. But he didn't care. He moved his hand, patting my back. I took shallow breaths, trying to calm myself. Sahil was shushing me, patting my back and stroking my hair with the other hand. After I had entirely calmed down, I pulled back and wiped out dry tears and meet the chocolate Brown eyes. He looked at my eyes directly, and I stared back.

"So, you want to talk about it?"

I averted my eyes.

I didn't want to. But I wanted to.

"It's fine," he said in an attempt to change the subject, "I'll make the coffee. The stove is there, right?" He picked up the two cups and stood up. I placed my hand on his wrist and pulled him down again.

I wanted to speak out words that were stuffed inside me. I wanted to scream the way I felt, and I had a strong feeling that I must tell Sahil.

Sahil must have sensed it cause he sat down immediately and took my hands in his and squeezed them, his eyes asking me to speak. And so I did. I spoke out for the first time, and I knew that Sahil would not stop me.

Flashback

Three years ago,

I walked down the corridor with my books in my hand, with my one close friend Lisa. She was the college encyclopedia, knowing A to Z about every person. It was fun listening to her, speak about others, though.

As she walked with me, she pointed at a girl, surrounded by girls, who was wearing a short black skirt and a white top. She seemed the leader of her gang. Her hair was left in a messy bun, and she had the perfect makeup ever. Pink lip gloss,  eyeliner, and whatnot. Honestly, I felt she would be much better without makeup. I immediately judged by her looks, that she was a typical college girl like those irritating ones in movies who showed off and thought themselves superior.  And guess what --- Lisa confirmed my thoughts.

"That is Tanisha," Lisa said with a hint of disapproval in her tone, " the college queen. Flirting, makeup, and overacting are her superior qualities. "
I grinned. Lisa cracked a smile too.

" But it is true, she bosses around everyone and flirts with every single guy in the school. Once she finds someone superior, she immediately brings then down. She is horrible to everyone. " Lisa paused to take a breath. "And now she is behind the hottest guy in our college."

"Who?" I asked, surprised.

"Aneesh Gupta, B tech 2nd year. He is a senior. But the hottest guy on the campus. Girls literally line up to meet him."

"He is that good looking?" I asked, amazed.

"Oh, you have no idea." She said and turned around, "Oh, look there, he comes."

I turned around, and sure enough, an Audi entered the campus, followed by two bikes. I could see girls in the parking lot, squealing oh my God, oh my god, and clutching each other. I was like- seriously?

And the next minute, Aneesh was getting out of the Audi. He wore a white T-shirt with black jeans and a killing leather jacket, on top. He removed his black cooling glass, revealing his face. A very fair face, jet black long hairs that fell to his eyes, and his black eyes. When he smiled, he showed off the pearly whites and the dimpled chin.  Yes, he looked great.

The other two guys parked their bikes and stood next to Aneesh, like bodyguards. And as Aneesh began to walk, they followed him like faithful servants.

He looked at the girls and winked at them, and immediately, the girls started to gasp, as if they were going to have a lung disease, clutched each other, and began whispering, loud enough to be heard. And I am sure Aneesh heard them too. I gave an eye roll-- honestly people, get a life.

I stood clutching the books to my chest and put a strand of hair behind my ear, watching Aneesh get closer. When he was quite close, he looked at me and smiled. I smiled back uncertainly, and turn to see a wide-eyed Lisa.

"You guys know each other?"

"No, " I said.

"Then what was that?"

"What?"

"Him smiling at you?"

Okay, so I had not imagined that smile.

"I don't know. Come on; we are getting late for class." I say and change the subject. I catch a glimpse of Tanisha openly flirting with Aneesh, but he does not seem that interested in her.

As the first period ended, I saw Aneesh again. He was leaning on the wall and smoking a cigar while playing with the other girl of 2nd year probably, who seemed too happy for her good. The lunch break, I saw him again with another girl, and God knows what they were doing.

this continued for weeks until I learned that, this guy was a player. Who flirted with every single girl. And broke her heart the next day. Surprisingly, Lisa also happened to be one of his girls; he flirted with her and spent the entire day wooing her. And Lisa was all over the moon that day, but the day after, he pretended as though she didn't exist. And what worse? Lisa saw him playing with another girl. I still remember, she cried a whole week.

I began to dislike Aneesh. I certainly didn't like people breaking other's hearts. I hated them.

One day, during lunch break, I walked towards the canteen to order something for my hungry stomach. And there, as I waited, I heard a deep, resonant voice:

"Are you lost, ma'am? Because heaven is a long way from here."
I turn around to find Aneesh sitting on a chair, with his hands behind his head. He winked at me.

I gave a hidden smirk, when I heard those pickups, I mean how unclassy he could get?

I turn away, ignoring him, and he probably wasn't used to girls rejecting him, cause he didn't give up, he came up to me and leaned facing me, his one hand drumming the table, he tried again,

"I must be a snowflake because I've fallen for you."

I gave him a visible eye roll, and an I'm-not-intrested look and took of my food tray, that had just arrived and walked away. Once I reached my table, I look at him, who is still leaning at the canteen wall, drumming his fingers, and looking at me, smiling.

He would have gone to the next girl, even before you know it, Ayesha.

But he did not.

The next days I hardly saw him with any girl, he just stood in the corridor, with a cigar in his hand staring at me. I ignored him and watched Tanisha make her way to him. She tried to speak something to him, but he just waved her away, still looking at me, a smile playing on his lips. I turn away, as the bell rings.

Let's fast forward to a beautiful Monday evening.

Once Chemistry was over, I walked alone in a deserted corridor. I chose the longer route to my hostel since this route was filled with flowers and trees. I clutch the books to my chest and walk, planning my study schedule when I suddenly stopped. Aneesh stood before me, smiling, alone, the hands-on pickets of his jeans.

Creep.

Mission Escape.

I turn back planning to take the next escape route, and begin to walk when,

"Stop."

I stopped, cursing my decision when  I turned back to see Aneesh approaching me. His smile is still there. He walks until he is dangerously close, and

"Why are you avoiding me?"

I give an eye roll and turn away.

"Stop. You are the first girl avoiding me so much, the first girl who is not falling for me. Why?"

"First thing, do you know how cheap your pick up lines are? Where did you get them? Internet?"

"They are my original ones, baby," he says dramatically as if shocked, touching his heart. I give him a second eye roll.

"Second, I really don't like you."

"Why?"

I turn away, desiring nothing more than to get out of here when he grabbed my wrist and pulled me to him, I jerked my arm away,

"What?"

"I didn't ask you to leave."

"What do you want?"

"I want you to agree with my one condition."

I raise my eyebrows as a question mark. He is still holding my wrist.

"That you will not avoid me in the future."

"And why will I agree to that?"

He smirked at this,

"Because I said so."

He took my right hand and shook it,

"Aneesh Gupta. Nice to meet you, Ayesha Mehra."

His eyes lingered on mine for a second, and when he came near my ear and whispered in a seductive tone,

"Trust me, Ayesha Mehra, you will fall for me."

"And what makes you think so?"

"Haven't you heard, it is always the good girl who falls for the bad boy."

"What if it happens the other way around? The bad boy falling for the good girl?"

"Oh, trust me, I think it is already happening."

He winked at me and took a few steps back, still looking at me, and then turned and walked away.

He left me feeling - actually, I don't know-how.  But he did leave me with some feeling.

Every day, Aneesh would stick up his head morning, and I would be the sole attention. Lisa is staring at him, and other girls glaring at me. I was never used to the attention and certainly not like this kind of attention. Because of his "condition," I meekly smile when he would wish me good morning, and immediately kill it once he moves away after speaking to me. He would meet me in the canteen, starting a random conversation, sitting next to me.  And once over, I would sigh, relieved.

Yes, he was hot and all. But I would prefer a peaceful life, where girls did not kill me with glares.

Fast forward to a busy Friday noon: during my maths class, I concentrated on the blackboard, writing down every minute detail. And that's when,

"Sir, I want Ayesha Mehra."

I turn to look at the door,

No. No. No.i hid behind a book, and that's when Aneesh looked around and pointed at me, "Sir, there she is." With professor, Aneesh and fifty-seven pairs of eyes on me, I couldn't hide. Sorry, pretend to hide.

I groaned, standing up . he motioned me to come out, I shake my head, I can't possibly skip my maths class for him. We continued to gestureconverse, and Mr Kaur found didn't find it amusing, and told me to get out since I was disturbing his class. And I made my way to the door and closed it while going out. I crossed my arms and raised my eyebrows to a very calm looking and smiling Aneesh.

"Yeah?"

He said nothing, but leaned back and still looking at me.

Double Creep.

I snapped my fingers, in front of him,
"Hello??" When I had had enough, I turned back to open the door when he gently pulled my wrist again.

"What?"

He shook his head and gestured outside. I took the hint and allowed him to lead the way, with me on the trail. And he leads the way to the parking lot, straight to his Audi. He opened the back door and gestured me to get in. I shook my head and backed away a bit.

"Please." His tone was different. I had never heard this tone before.

Convincing myself, I sit in the car with him facing me. He is looking at me intently, and I can't help but feel very self-conscious. I made the maximum distance possible in the little space and cleared my throat.

"Yeah." He said coming out of a trace,

I nodded to tell him to continue

"Okay, this is going to be bad. I  am not good at this. I have never done this before." He took a deep breath.

"I first noticed you when you arrived at the college — the beautiful nerd who hated being the centre of attraction. I slowly began to see more and more of you when I was...busy. You seemed more and prettier by day. And when I thought I could use my charm, as I said before, you rejected me, the first girl to do so.  I have heard so much about you; you are pretty popular among...us. Boys." He clarified when I gave him a questioning look. My cheeks heated a little.

"You are different from the rest of the girls. Beautiful and nerdy. A gorgeous smile you have got. "

Don't smile. Don't smile.

I smiled without wanting to. The smile just fell from my mouth.

His voice sounded resonant and deep. Not the flirtatious tone that I had heard before. Very peaceful and melodious.

"And that is what seemingly dragged me to you. The girl who was not interested in me, that definitely pulled me to you and."

He took a deep breath and looked directly in my eyes,

"Ayesha Mehra, I am probably falling for you." Another deep breath, "I think I like you."

.
.
..
.
.
.
.
.

Hey guys,
Hi. Yeah, I got addicted again, and I uploaded this chapter. The flashback to continue in the next chapter, I wanted a cliff hanger.

Anyway, comment ideas below.

Vote.

Cote.

Thank you!

Love and Peace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

594K 64.6K 24
"You are my heart, Aira. So be careful when you think of breaking it. It may result in your collapse." ------- .หšโ‚Šโœงโ‚Šหš. -------- **This is a DARK roma...
1.6M 72.4K 67
ส™แดแดแด‹ สŸแด€ษดษขแดœแด€ษขแด‡ ษช๊œฑ สœษชษดษขสŸษช๊œฑสœ (สœษชษดแด…ษช+แด‡ษดษขสŸษช๊œฑสœ) ๐‘ณ๐’๐’—๐’† ๐’‹๐’๐’–๐’“๐’๐’†๐’š ๐’๐’‡ ๐’•๐’‰๐’“๐’†๐’† ๐’”๐’Š๐’”๐’•๐’†๐’“๐’” ๐’˜๐’‰๐’ ๐’ˆ๐’๐’• ๐’Ž๐’‚๐’“๐’“๐’Š๐’†๐’… ๐’˜๐’Š๐’•๐’‰ ๐’•๐’‰๐’“๐’†๐’† ๐’ƒ๏ฟฝ...
355K 18.1K 44
โ๐‡๐ž ๐ฅ๐จ๐จ๐ค๐ž๐ ๐š๐ญ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž ๐ก๐ž ๐ฃ๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ญ ๐ซ๐ž๐š๐ฅ๐ข๐ณ๐ž๐ ๐ฐ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ฅ๐จ๐ฏ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌโž. Sahil Mirza. When he attended his cousin's wedding, h...
606K 36.5K 41
"Kabir Malhotra, a 25-year-old, young, handsome, gym freak, always a hot topic among girls. He's known to be rude and doesn't care about anyone excep...