The Ebb & The Flow (Boy x Boy)

By PleasantMajority

A slice of life? A coming of age? This story follows two teens Wyatt, a seemingly mute boy. And River, your a... More

Chapter 1: The Flow
Chapter 2: The Ebb
Chapter 3: Head in the clouds
Chapter 4: Lover Boy
Chapter 5: 24/7/365
Chapter 6: Sweet Like Candy
Chapter 7: Orpheus
Chapter 8: If Only
Chapter 9: Barricades
Chapter 10: Sunny Side
Chapter 11: Teenage Blue
Chapter 12: Puchito
Chapter 13: Apollo
Chapter 14: Firsts For Everything
Chapter 15: The Shadows
Chapter 16: My Heart and My Car
Chapter 17: Warned You
Chapter 18: Lover
Chapter 20: Unbothered
Chapter 21: Sweet Marie
Chapter 22: Bad Girl
Chapter 23: One Last Time
Teasers: Only In The Dark
Q&A

Chapter 19: I Love You So

4 1 0
By PleasantMajority

A/N: Things as far as plot kind of speed up from this point onward as things get closer to ending. 19 chapters and the relationship between Wyatt and River is still relatively new. The pacing has been trippy for me even as the writer. But worry not! It's all been like this for a reason.

******************

Wyatt: 

      Aaron sprinted off upstairs as I took off my shoes to probably play some videogames. River had done me the favor of not questioning me relentlessly. Though that didn't stop him from being practically glued to me in times he could be at school. It was nice though; it felt good to be cared about. I ventured through the house in search of a de Lugo as one of their cars was parked in our driveway. They were in my dad's study, the murky glass of the french doors preventing me from seeing who was exactly inside. I heaved a soft sigh, heading upstairs to get changed for a run. 

     My performance was dropping off since I didn't go on my usual runs around town. I still didn't feel comfortable doing that again. Not when Mr. Green could be lurking anywhere. So i'd opt for jogging around my neighborhood; where everyone knew everyone. I changed into my cross country shorts and a hoodie as it was a little chilly out. I headed back downstairs, an odd curiosity overtaking me right as my feet reached the bottom of the steps. I never knew what my dad and the de Lugo men would talk about. I mean other than that they were good family friends. So a bit of eavesdropping couldn't hurt I supposed. 

      Standing beside the wall I listened in on the voices inside.

"Aside from family business. How has your investigation been? Any leads?" My father's voice inquired.

"Father wanted me to look into this. You know why Mr. Maddox." Cruz's accented voice assured him.

"I'll kill whoever did this to puchito. I'm sure you want that justice too." Cruz added, my breath hitching in my chest.

"Your father knows I don't want my children involved. I don't want this coming back onto him in anyway." My father sighed, sounding stressed.

"The de Lugo family is forever loyal to yours. You have helped us with much. Debts we can never repay." Cruz elaborated in confusion.

"The man's death will be an accident. Nothing else will be traced." Cruz assured my father for what seemed like the billionth time. I felt sick to my stomach. I spent my whole life knowing Cruz. He was a best friend. Someone i'd call an older brother. But hearing things like this made me feel like I didn't know him at all.

"I know Cruz. But could you blame me for wanting my children away from that life?" My father mused, his voice carrying a weary tone. He was tired and stressed. I could practically visualize him rubbing his temples as he normally did.

"My step father is a good man. He has rules in place for every de Lugo. Those rules extend to your family as well to protect them and those they associate with. You know those rules." Cruz said, a smile heard on his voice.

     Cruz was trying to assure himself. He didn't really like his step father because he was a raging homophobe. And basically ruined Cruz's love life; well his life period. But now that I knew this I could now understand why he was so afraid of letting his sexuality slip to anyone else but me. I heard steps that had me sprinting from the room. I made it to the kitchen just as I heard the study door click open, heaving an internal sigh. I felt so many things all at once. My dad was keeping secrets. And so was Cruz. But no matter what I couldn't be angry at my father. Instead it was turned at Cruz. What I was doing could make a mess. But I felt lied to by someone I trusted blindly.

      I headed for the door following Cruz who had exited it. I quickly tugged on my shoes, heading out into the chilly fall air just as his car roared to life. I walked around to the passenger side, peering through the deeply tinted glass.

"What can I do for you puchito." He questioned, a small smile forming on his tepid features as he rolled down the window.

     I didn't answer him as I opened the door and sat on the cold black leather seat beside him.

"Who are you?" I blurted, feeling more hurt than angry now.

"What do you mean?" He questioned in return

"I heard you and my dad Cruz." I sighed in exasperation as he went silent, simply staring at me with unreadable eyes.

     Sure Cruz seemed prickly and icy to some. But even now I had a hard time imaging him being a man that would get his hands bloody. The way he said he'd kill whoever did this to me wasn't in a joking manner. It carried a chill that coursed down my spine.

"Puchito." He said simply, his voice practically pleading with me to drop the topic.

"No Cruz. I feel like I don't know you. I thought we could tell each other everything." I pressed.

"Put things together. Your father never wanted you all to know." Cruz huffed, seeming impatient and hurt all at the same time. Someone looking at him would see a blank slate. But in my years knowing Cruz I learned that he did in fact express emotion. Though it was far less tangible the a normal person's.

"Tell me i'm wrong. That it was all just some kind of joke." I asked, feeling a lump of emotion form in my throat.

"I don't like lying to you puchito." He countered, answering my question as I could do nothing but sit there speechless. He didn't know who it was. And he was making it his problem. When in truth it was mine to deal with. And i'd rather take the fall for something.

"I can't let you get yourself in trouble over killing him Cruz." I sighed shakily, pulling my knees to my chest.

"I am good at what I do puchito. It is why i'm here instead of my kid brother." Cruz assured me.

"Its not fair." I argued.

"Do you know who did this to you?" Cruz questioned, ignoring my statement.

     My breath hitched in my chest. If Cruz was still the same person I grew up knowing at his core he was incredibly hard to lie to. So I pulled an answer out quickly.

"No. I don't." I answered quickly, keeping my tone as even as I could manage.

"Go for your run puchito. I'll be in town for a few days." Cruz told me, heaving a soft sigh.

      Feeling as if I stayed any longer he'd gain too much. I silently go out of the car, closing the door. He pulled off, probably heading for the diner as it was one of his favorite places to visit when he was in town. I had so many questions. Was every de Lugo like Cruz? It was hard to imagine someone as goofy as Antonio being associated with that crowd. I began my jog, still feeling safe since Cruz was here.

      But it all made sense in a stereotypical way. The de Lugo family was extremely wealthy. Secretive about their jobs. It made me wonder if the restaurant they owned a few counties over was even real. Sure i'd been there and eaten the food. But was it just a cover up? I feel like i'd been lied to my entire life. Mr. de Lugo was a kind man aside from his glaring flaw. He was always kind to me; showering me in gifts even sometimes. He'd come to every single one of my cross country meets and dances. I wanted to believe that all of it was real.

      I was working myself up, my heart racing almost painfully in my chest as I slowed down to a walk. I got a few odd looks from vaguely familiar faces of people around town. I righted myself; not wanting to pass out or something and end up as gossip for our small town. I turned around, heading for a certain someone. I felt I should apologize to him for dropping so much on him today. I rushed down the sidewalks, fall leaves crunching under my feet as I jogged. I made it to River's house, running up the driveway. Seeing someone under River's jacked up mustang I walked around and recognized it as River who was underneath it. Not wanting to scare him I just squatted down and waited for him to slip from under the car. Though my effort was for nothing as he jumped when he saw me; bumping his head on the lightly rusted chrome bumper.

"H-hey." He greeted me after a wince.

"Sorry." I blurted as he attempted to wipe what looked to be oil off his hands.

"Its okay." He smiled weakly, eyes tinged with worry as he couldn't quite meet my gaze.

     I settled on my knees beside him as he leaned back on the palms of his hands. The cool concrete was uncomfortable against my bare shins. But that didn't really matter much to me as I leaned forward and took his hand in mine.

"I'm okay River." I assured him, hoping to offer him some comfort.

    He took my hand in his, placing it against his grimy face that was covered in soot or whatever it was that dirtied his hands. He closed his eyes, taking a deep and composing breath.

"I love you Wy-Wy." He sighed, his brown eyes staring into my own.

"I love you too River." I replied just as sweetly.

      He looked like he wanted to lean forward to kiss me. But he pulled away just as fast, a look of uncertainty in his eyes. It stung like always. But now I understood why. And I felt selfish for feeling how that would make me feel before.

"It's okay." I told him simply as he stood up, pulling me up alongside him.

"Did you...Want to stay over tonight? I know it's a school night." He rambled, twiddling his thumbs over the backs of my hands.

     I was upset with Cruz for lying to me. And so many different things didn't make sense anymore. I wanted to get away from it all. But where I would normally go was the source of it all. I had obligations though. And I couldn't just leave my dad hanging.

"It's okay if you don't want to." He said softly, his gaze dropping.

"I just have to tell my dad." I replied, offering a smile and a gentle squeeze of his hands.

     We headed inside as he sprinted upstairs. Judging by how silent it was his father wasn't home for the night yet. I opted to call him instead as he didn't like texting.

"Hey there." He greeted, seeming to already know I'd had a request.

"Is it okay if I stay over at River's. His dad will be home so don't worry." I rambled.

"You're 18 Wyatt. I trust your judgement." My father chuckled, catching me by surprise.

"What about Aaron and Sherri?" I asked as Marley approached me excitedly.

"I'm taking tomorrow off. No worries. Why don't you invite River over for dinner tomorrow too." My dad explained.

"A-alright. Thanks dad." I told him, bidding him my farewells.

     I gave Marley some attention right before we headed upstairs to River's room. The sound of a song i'd head playing in my child hood floated softly through the air. Etta James' stormy weather was something my mom and dad would slow dance to on nights they were off. It stung to hear, but the memories were so pleasant they eased the pain as I settled on River's bed.

"You listen to such soulful music despite being so awkward." I shouted as I heard his shower going.

"You can turn it off if you don't like it!" He shouted back, his voice sounding nervous.

"I love it." I replied, falling back onto his bed as Marley hopped up beside me, settling close to my side.

     I stared up at the ceiling of his bedroom as his record player went on and on with songs of yesteryear; or ones that sounded like it. It all had an intimate atmosphere that was relaxing and calming. Though my attention was grabbed when I heard the bathroom door open. And out of habit I sat up, seeing River in nothing but his boxers. My eyes instantly scanned his skin for bruises and I was content to not see any.

"I-I wasn't expecting you to come up here so soon." He stammered as he pulled on a pair of sweatpants that hung on the back of his desk chair.

"I enjoy the view." I answered honestly as he came to sit down beside me, twiddling his thumbs as I studied his features. 

     His curly dark brown hair was still matted with water, a few drops dripping from his head to his shoulders and traveling down his chest. And from there the little rivulets ran down a happy trail.

"Can I have a kiss?" He asked timidly, his eyes holding a look of innocence.

"Always." I told him, leaning over and placing a soft kiss on his lips.

     Though he seemed to want more as he caught one of my hands, resting it over his heart as he deepened it. To say I was a little surprised at him taking the lead was an understatement. Normally I took charge in these dances of sorts. As he pulled me to straddle his lap Marley got up and hopped off the bed. Considering I was just violated today River had me melting in his grasp. He contrasted that monster in every way. Where he was rough and demanding. River was soft and gentle. Where he was barbaric and cruel. River was innocent and kind. Hands slipped up my hoodie, roaming every available inch of my body as his hips bucked in tandem underneath me on occasion. He fell back onto his bed, taking me down with him as he rolled us over, having me underneath him, pressing himself between my legs.

     I was a little nervous about being in such a vulnerable position. But I was reminded of just who this was by gentle kisses along my jaw that fluttered and tickled my neck like a butterflies' wings. It didn't take River long to get soft moans out of me. Though just as I was knocked dizzy by pleasure and probably a lack of oxygen he parted, panting and staring down at me.

"I love you." He said softly, staring down into my eyes with an intensity I didn't know he was capable of. I wondered what suddenly happened to the awkward beanstalk i'd spent all this time knowing.

"I love you too." I replied, leaning up and placing a soft kiss on his lips.

"I know you probably aren't thinking about this. But i'd like to be your first real time." He said to me, causing my body to heat up at the mention of sex.

      It had my heart hammering.

"I'd love that." I told him, silencing him before he could speak with a kiss.

      He continued thrusting his hips into me, a moan escaping him every now and again as I fought to match his intensity. Though just as pants were about to come off and things were about to turn serious the sound of a door opening downstairs had River hopping away from me. I couldn't help but laugh as he nearly stumbled and fell off the bed.

"Woah there." I crooned, amused.

"Wasn't expecting him back so soon." River admitted with a meek smile as he tugged on a t-shirt.

"Always a next time." I assured him.

"River! You home!" Sheriff Moore called into the house.

"Yeah dad. Upstairs with Wyatt." River called back as he offered me a hand.

"There's donuts if you boys want some." His dad replied, his voice retreating further into the house.

     I was about to head downstairs but River caught me by the wrist before I could clear the door.

"One last kiss?" He asked. Getting up on my toes, my lips met his once more as he seemed to hug me close in an attempt to cherish the contact.

"I won't tell anyone. But can you promise me you'll tell someone soon?" He whispered when we parted. My gaze fell and faltered a bit as I came back down to my feet fully. He said this because he cared. I wasn't foolish enough to see it as anything else.

"Okay." I promised.

      And with that we walked downstairs hand in hand.

*******************

A/N: Quite a few things happen in this chapter. Some of you may wonder. Why the fuck is Cruz's family a mafia suddenly?! That isn't the case. This story was supposed to flow alongside another that I wrote from Cruz's perspective. But it was placed on hold.  It was a surprise for Wyatt in this story. And a surprise for him in the other. Consistency.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

83.1K 1.6K 5
❝Do you think we're going to make it?❞ ❝We have to.❞ - in which Dan steps out into a world full of wonder, holding his lover's loose hand and...
38.1K 2K 40
Y/n l/n is a quiet boy who got sorted onto a dorm with a lot of loud people, yet he seems to attract just the right people to be left alone. (Warning...
587 5 18
Brendon Urie, a 16 year old with no friends and ADHD, enters Ryan Ross' house under the belief it's abandoned. When he meets the Ross family he final...
1.5K 222 27
A story of two boys who wanted to stop existing but end up learning to live for each other.