Just Friends || h.s.

By alostbookworm

PREVIOUSLY NAMED "TENSION" ~Nothing is louder than the silence between two people who used to be so in love w... More

Just Friends
Prologue
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
42.5
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
Epilogue - 1
Epilogue - 2

2

6.5K 131 19
By alostbookworm

*Video attached is of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir practicing for the 2018 Winter Olympics. Aka my favorite program of all time*

Harry

"You need to loosen up a bit, Harry. I'm sure his friends will like you." Zayn reassured me — or at least tried to — as we walked into the skating club we were at.

"I'm not worried about that, Zayn." I sighed. "It's just weird being back in Toronto. What if I see—"

"Your ex? I highly doubt it. Toronto is a big city." Zayn threw his arm around my shoulder as we walked around some hall that led to a huge ice rink.

I wouldn't have moved back here if it weren't for Zayn's new job. While I am very happy for him, this place is filled with memories I tried so hard to let go of.

"Are you sure we are at the right place? This doesn't look open for free skaters." Zayn asked me, looking in different directions as he studied the place.

I opened up my texts to Louis, seeing that the address he sent me was the one we were at. I quickly sent him a text, asking where he was. When I looked up, I saw Zayn walking up to a giant window slowly, a look of fear on his face.

"Uh, Harry?"

"Yeah?" I replied confusedly, standing next to him to see what he was looking at. There were a few people in the ice rink, and I could hear faint music playing as well as three adults standing on the sidelines off of the ice, one of them yelling over the music at a certain pair that were both dressed in black.

"Is that..." He trailed off, looking at the same exact couple as I was.

"Madison."

I stood there in shock, my eyes unable to look away from her and her partner skating to what sounded like a song from Moulin Rouge.

"Holy shit." Zayn chuckled in disbelief. "I think I spoke too soon."

I don't know how long I was just watching her skate in awe, having never seen her skate so beautifully from this close. I've watched all her videos and she's absolutely amazing, but since she wasn't skating when we were together, I never actually got to see her skate a full routine in-person.

"Did you see that?!" Zayn exclaimed beside me just as Madison flipped onto Nick's shoulders. "I told you that girl is something straight of the matrix, did I not?"

"No, you did." I breathed, continuing to watch her and her partner skate. I finally looked away when my phone was ringing, and it was Louis calling me.

"Where are you guys?" He asked as soon as I answered.

"We are at the address you sent me. Where are you?" I replied, panicking internally when Maddie started skating off of the ice. I couldn't let her see me.

I nudged Zayn and started walking towards the exit, him following close behind.

"Hold on one second..." Louis trailed off, returned around ten seconds later. "Fuck. I sent the wrong address. The rink we are at is just down the street. I sent you the location."

"Okay, we'll be there in a bit." I sighed before hanging up, my heart racing in my chest. "We are at the wrong one. Let's go."

"I'll drive. You look like you're gonna be sick." Zayn said, taking the keys from my back pocket. I didn't even stop him, too anxious to drive anyways.

I just saw my ex-girlfriend for the first time in three years, and I was scared shitless of her reaction if she ever saw me. Would she be upset? Sad? Angry?

I know one thing, and that is she would most certainly not be happy.

I wish it would be easy to avoid her, but considering she's Canada's sweetheart, that would be kind of difficult. She represented Canada at the Winter Olympics four years ago, and I now live in at least the same five mile radius as her. Of course I would have seen her eventually.

"Harry, I get that you're shocked, but are you really that surprised that you saw your ex-girlfriend in the city she's lived in for god knows how long? Shake the nerves off, I doubt you'll ever actually run into her." Zayn started talking, and I hadn't even noticed we were at the other rink until I heard him speak to me.

"You said the same thing about ten minutes ago and look at what happened." I snorted, getting out of the car and shivering when my feet hit the snow.

"I'm serious. She's probably always busy so the chances you see her again are slim to none." He says so reassuringly, and I try my best to believe him.

Our conversation ended on that note and we walked inside. I spotted Louis at one of the tables with a girl, the both of them tying their own rental skates while Zayn and I paid for our wristbands.

"Hey, you made it this time!"

I look up to see Louis wobbling towards us, nearly tripping since he was being balanced on two blades.

"Yeah, thanks for the wrong address." I said sarcastically, giving him a quick hug.

"Sorry about that. Anyways, I would like you to meet my girlfriend." He says excitedly, leading Zayn and I over to the table he was just at. "I know I said my other friend was coming but she's busy so she'll probably come later."

"Okay." I replied shortly, but I stopped in my tracks and nearly wished I could drop dead when the girl he was with lifted her head up and her eyes widened.

"Oh fuck." She cursed, looking panicked.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Louis asked in concern, looking at her like he was afraid.

She just ignored him while I looked over at Zayn. "You doubt it, huh?"

He stared at me with a sheepish smile. "Sorry?"

"Oh my god. You can't be here. Not now." Riley continued to freak, my pretense stressing her out. "Fuck. Maddie is going to flip. She cannot know you are here."

"What is happening?" Louis confusedly asked literally any of us. "Why can't she know?"

"This is Maddie' ex, you dipshit." Riley hisses at her boyfriend before turning back to me. "She is going to the olympics in two fucking days. She does not need the stress of you being here."

My eyes widened. I didn't know she was going to the olympics again, and I wanted to smile because of how proud I was, but I pushed it down and nodded at Riley.

"She's not allowed to know that either of you are here until after the olympics. Do I make myself clear?" She glared at both Zayn and I, and we each nodded again, understanding that it would probably distract Madison when she already has enough ok her plate.

"As for you," she points at Louis, who still looked utterly confused by the entire situation, and looks as if she wants to bite his head off. "I know you cannot keep a secret for your life so you are not allowed near her either. Got it?"

He nodded vigorously, blue eyes wide open in fear as Riley towered over him. A two inch height difference may not seem like a lot, but it was obvious with them.

"But wait, they live in the same building as us. She's going to see them." Louis said, and that just made me even more nervous than before.

"Well this is bloody fantastic." I say exasperatedly, throwing my hands up and letting them fall to my sides. "Zayn and I won't leave our apartment for the next few days. How's that?"

"Easy with the attitude, Harold. I am not as forgiving as Maddie, so I will easily twist that thing between your legs that you call a penis like it's a fucking balloon that clowns use." She threatens, and the glint in her eye made me shut up because I knew she was serious.

"That's cute, darling. Are you done yet?" Zayn spoke from beside me, his arms folded over his chest as a look of boredom crossed his face.

Riley huffed before taking a deep breath. "I'm not saying you need to stay at home until she leaves. All I'm saying is to avoid her seeing you as best as you can. I may sound very dramatic, but I swear to god, it will stress her the fuck out if she finds out and that cannot happen just days away from one of the biggest moments in her career."

"Don't worry. I won't let her see us." I assured quietly, feeling quite guilty now for moving back here even though I shouldn't.

"Thank you." Riley sighed before plastering a smile and grabbing Louis' hand. "Now, shall we?"

Still clueless to what just happened, Louis was dragged away by Riley and towards the rink full of people of all ages.

"Not gonna lie, I missed her." Zayn chuckled, but I rolled my eyes and walked over to the counter for the rental skates.

"Yeah, well she's taken by our friend so back off." I sighed, rubbing my head as a migraine started to form.

"I never thought Louis would get a girlfriend, honestly. A boyfriend, maybe." Zayn thought aloud.

I didn't respond, too much on my mind as I tried to comprehend everything that has happened in the last half hour.

So this is it. Louis' friends just had to be my ex and her best friend. Just wonderful.

Not only am I worried about Madison seeing Zayn and I within the next couple of days, I am also worried about what would happen when she gets back.

Madison was always the one to talk things out maturely, so I didn't feel the need to prepare myself if she were to cry and scream at me. I'm sure if I just explain myself, she will accept it and move on. But I know there'd still be a part of her that would be upset about how we ended, even if she didn't show it.

Hell, three years later and even I am still upset with myself for letting things end the way they did. She was perfect for me, and I was perfect for her, but I just had to screw it up by being selfish.

I just hope she can forgive me.

• • •

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

209K 6.5K 29
" Hey, Styles!" One of the jocks from across the field shouts, making the curly headed boy turn his head to where the voice was coming from. " Ha, ne...
13.1M 435K 41
When Desmond Mellow transfers to an elite all-boys high school, he immediately gets a bad impression of his new deskmate, Ivan Moonrich. Gorgeous, my...
201K 4.5K 22
Ever imagine what it would be like to live with someone who is in the CIA, doing all those cool jobs like they do on T.V. Well Brooke hates it. Ev...
779K 60.9K 78
Nandini, a quite girl who lives a simple life being the youngest child,with close friends and good grades.! However,simple turns into complex when sh...