Why Me, Alpha?

By TakeItOrLeaveIt

Lia Makkena had wanted nothing to do with the werewolf world. She was, by far, the only human in her pack, ma... More

Why Me, Alpha?
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 3

2.6K 89 11
By TakeItOrLeaveIt

Marcus stood there, dumbfounded.

She had rejected him.

“She… rejected… me,” his whispered, his shoulders drooping.

“Oh, don’t look like such a lost puppy,” Elise said, hugging her son. “You and I both know she did no such thing. She was probably just shocked.”

Her son stood frozen to the spot, the shock of finally finding a mate and being rejected too much.

“I’ll see you tonight,” he said, stepping out of her hug, his jaw clenched and his voice so dangerously low that it scared his mother.

How dare she reject him? The dominant side of him screamed at him to make her submit, to make her come to him, to make her be with him.

But he pushed that side back. He saw it in her eyes, vulnerability, and a sort of fear.

She was afraid of him.

“Don’t be too angry with her, Marcus,” Elise sighed as he opened the door. “There’s… something about her… You can sense it, too, can’t you?”

The question went unanswered as Marcus had already left.

Lia gathered herself in the comfort room, trying to calm the pounding in her heart and the overwhelming desire to run back to the man’s arms. She leaned on the sink and stared at her flustered self in the mirror, strands of her hair were out of place from the bun she had neatly made on top of her head.

She sighed.

She’d always heard of mates. She’d seen them in the pack, and they seemed to look at each other obliviously, as if they were the only people in the world. They looked to be so in love.

Once, before, when she had expected to shift, she had wanted that. She had wanted nothing but to look at her mate like how her parents looked at each other. Even after she hadn’t shifted, she still kept hope that maybe she had a mate, even when people had told her that it wasn’t possible for someone like her. Those dreams were shattered when her parents died, and she had Henry and Sophie to take care of.

No, she didn’t have time for a mate.

She didn’t need a mate.

Who’d want her as a mate anyway?

She was a human werewolf, practically useless and weak.

Lia stood there, trying to convince herself that a mate was useless to her at the moment, and in the future for that matter. She’d sworn off anything werewolf, and this was probably the worst thing that could’ve happened to her.

So why does my chest hurt so much?

No, mates brought trouble. Werewolves were so damn possessive and dominant, and that was the last thing she needed now.

But, maybe that would be nice.

No, stop it, Lia. You don’t have time for that. Henry and Sophie first, remember?

She sighed, and fixed her hair and dress, making sure she looked presentable before heading out the door.

“It took you a while.”

Before she could do anything about it she was pushed back into the comfort room and pinned against the wall, the door was locked and she was frozen, trapped again in his arms.

“Why’d you run?” He whispered, looking down at her, his arms around her waist, pushing her against the wall, she flinched, because of the bruise that was there.

“B-b-because, I-I-” she stammered, finding that she didn’t know exactly what to say. What was she supposed to say?

“Spit it out,” he whispered, leaning his forehead on hers.

“I don’t have time for this,” Lia spoke really fast, afraid that her courage to say it might leave the longer she stayed in his hold.

He growled, sending shivers down her back. “Make time.”

That was it.

She placed her hands on his chest and used all her strength to push him back, she knew, of course, that it wasn’t enough to actually push him away, but she was thankful that he did let go.

“I have a life before this,” she motioned between them, indicating their forming bond, “no matter how much I want to be with you, I can’t just let my responsibilities go. I have priorities, things I need to do before I can even think of being with you, if I’m going to be with you.”

Besides, I’m human, can’t you tell?

“I’m sorry.” Lia made a move to the door, but he grabbed her wrist.

“I hope you understand that this isn’t over, no matter what you think, this is far from over.” He looked at her, there was determination in his eyes, but there was anguish there, too.

She wanted to hug him, kiss him and tell him all that he wanted to hear from her. She steeled her resolve, tugged on her arm—which, thankfully, he let go—and unlocked the door.

“See you tonight,” he said right before she left the room.

When she had gotten home that night, there was a boy in front of her apartment, plus the man from yesterday, the one who hadn’t spoken. Anyway, she recognized the boy as Sophie’s mate and wasn’t shocked that he was there.

He was muscular, and stood taller than she, but probably not taller than Henry. He had brown hair and eyes, with sun kissed skin.

“I’m very sorry about what happened yesterday, ma’am,” he said, bowing his head low. “I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“It was an accident,” Lia smiled, seeing how apologetic the boy truly was. “It happens, can’t do anything about it.” She took out her keys. “Now, what’s your name and what is it that you’re here for?”

Though she already knew the answer, she smiled at his reply. “My name’s Will, and I’m here to see Sophie, ma’am.”

She laughed. “No need to call me ‘ma’am’, Will, I’m not that old.” She unlocked the door. “Now, do come in, it’s late and you really should speak to Sophie.”

“Thank you.” He beamed, his grin so wide it looked like his face would crack.

“And what’s your name?” Lia said, looking behind Will to look at the man standing across their door, he had been there this morning, too, but she hadn’t bothered to get his name.

“Steven,” was his reply.

“Do you want to come in?” She asked. She had resolved that she would try to cooperate as much as possible with the pack in the area, there was absolutely no need to be difficult anyway.

“No need,” Steven replied.

She let it go, not seeing the need to press the issue further.

“What is he doing here?” Sophie glared at Will, sitting up from her position on the couch.

“I thought it was a good idea to let him in,” Lia smiled as she called for Henry. “Get ready for the dinner with the Alpha!”

There was a knock on the door and Lia opened it as Will took a seat next to Sophie, who scooted farther away.

“Yes?” Lia asked as she opened the door.

“I’m here to escort you to the dinner with the Alpha.” The man from the night before said.

“Hold on, my brother is getting ready, while my sister can’t attend,” Lia replied as she looked back at Sophie, who was now speaking with Will in whispers, which made her smile.

“I’ve been told that you’re the only one to be escorted,” he replied.

Lia’s eyebrows rose in surprise. “Alone?”

“Yes,” he replied.

Lia stood there, bewildered for a moment, then, finally, she decided that it was probably best to just do what was asked.

“Henry!” Lia called.

“Yeah, I’m ready,” Henry came out from his room, wearing a shirt, jeans and sneakers.

“You’re far from ready,” Lia replied eyeing him. “Change of plans, I’m going to head out alone, and I need you to take care of Sophie. Make sure that Will doesn’t stay too long, and she gets to bed early.”

“It’s Friday!” Sophie whined.

“Fine,” Lia conceded. “But Will has to go home by ten, alright, Henry?”

“My pleasure,” Henry smirked as Lia took the key and checked herself in the mirror near the door before leaving.

Marcus waited for his mate to arrive with Nolan, checking his watch every now and then.

Her scent filled his lungs, and he closed his eyes, savouring it. When he opened them, she was there, looking at him, shock clear on her beautiful face. Nolan stood behind her, his face remaining stoic.

“Surprised?” He smirked at her, standing.

She narrowed her eyes at him. “Oddly, only a bit.”

He pulled out a chair for her. “Please, do sit.”

She walked past him to sit on the chair, and his muscles tensed as her scent became even more intense with her proximity, trying hard not to just grab her and kiss her senseless, maybe even more.

Once she was seated, he sent Nolan a message through their link.

‘Leave us. I’ll be the one to take her home.’

‘Yours, or hers?’ Nolan’s smirk was unmistakeable.

‘We’ll see,’ was his own reply as he got back to his seat.

Marcus eyed his mate as she looked at everything except for him. She looked at the plush and expensive seats, the nice, rounded tables with the rich red cloth, and at the plants around the area. Everywhere except him. The restaurant was a well known one around the town, and he managed to get a secluded area, away from the other customers so that they wouldn’t be interrupted.

He was about to pour her some wine, which he had ordered before she had got there, when she spoke up.

“I don’t think it’s legal for you to offer me that,” she said, looking at the dark red liquid.

“And why is that?” He said, raising an eyebrow at her.

“I’m only twenty,” she replied.

He smiled, putting the wine bottle down, knowing something about his mate made him smile, though it did distress him inside to see that she seemed to act older than she really was, and that she was more mature than her age would’ve suggested.

“I never got your name,” she informed him, and he realized that he didn’t know hers either.

“Marcus Baron, yours?”

“Lia Makkena.”

She had a wonderful name, it made him smile. He called the waiter over and they both ordered.

“So, Lia,” he liked the sound of her name, the feel of it in his throat, the roll of his tongue when he said it, “what brings you to town?”

“My work,” she replied. “In my last year of college, I had sent some of my designs to Flos Solis and other couture houses, and I had chosen to work here.”

“But you were accepted to work for others?” Marcus inquired. If she hadn’t chosen Flos Solis, he would probably never have found her.

“They were abroad, and I didn’t want to leave my brother and sister here.” She replied, a smile on her face, though Marcus felt the regret that she refused to show but was present in her tone.

“I see.” He looked at her as she looked down. “Your brother and sister are very important to you.”

She looked up, meeting his gaze. “They are. They’re my top priority right now.”

“Tell me about them.”

“Henry’s eighteen, and is in his third year of college, he’s taking up Civil Engineering, and usually stays up at night, even later than I usually do, making him look like some zombie in the morning.” She giggled, remembering some memory and Marcus felt himself smile. “Sophie’s seventeen, and is in her last year of high school, she’s still unsure of what she wants in the future, and it worries me, but I don’t want to pressure her to do anything she doesn’t want.” She continued speaking, her face lighting up with devotion.

Marcus felt envy for this Henry and Sophie that he’d never met. He felt envy for the fact that his mate had such devotion towards them. He wanted that for himself, he wanted to hear that kind of devotion in her voice when she spoke about him.

Lia stopped and flushed. “I’m blabbering, aren’t I?”

“Not at all,” he replied.

Just then, the food arrived and gave him a moment of respite to think of what else he should ask her. He had a ton of things in mind, but it was far from something he should be asking right now.

“So, what is it that you’d wanted to talk to me about?”

Lia straightened her back, as if remembering what she was there for. Marcus noted that her face became quite serious and devoid of any emotion. “Let me be clear with you from the start, Alpha Baron,” Marcus held back a growl, she had no need to call him his formal title, she was his mate and could call him by his first name, “I have no intention of joining your pack, nor do Henry and Sophie. They have their own ideas and are free to choose of which pack they want to belong to, so please don’t force them into joining.”

“I would never force anyone to be part of my pack,” Marcus replied with so much force that startled Lia.

“I apologize for having implied that you did,” Lia mumbled, losing her composure for the moment, looking down and pushing her food around with the fork.

Marcus felt regret instantly, he shouldn’t have snapped at her like that. God, he was such an impulsive idiot sometimes.

“You will be under my pack’s security, so don’t fret,” Marcus spoke after a while. “As my mate you will be given the utmost protection. No one will harm you, or they will have to answer directly to me.” No man would even come near you without my permission.

He had no doubt that she’d be hit on by other men, after all, why not? She was beautiful, and looked quite different from the average human, and, maybe it was her being his mate, she was also more beautiful than werewolf females, which was saying a lot since the average werewolf had an unusual beauty about them.

“Does being your mate change the situation?” Lia asked. “If I were just some girl with her two siblings on your territory, would it be the same?”

“Yes and no. You being my mate guarantees your protection, without it having to be asked.” It also automatically makes you a part of my pack. “But if you were just a girl asking to stay on this land, I would’ve granted you security nonetheless, without you having to be a member of the pack.”

Lia nodded, trying not to smile as he kept referring to her as his mate.

“So, what now?” She asked nervously.

“What do you mean?” He loved how adorable she looked when she was nervous, biting her lower lip until it turned so red.

“I mean, I thought… I thought we’d be arguing or talking about the arrangements for our stay for the whole dinner.” She looked so nervous and awkward while saying it that he had to smile. “Why are you smiling?” She caught herself. “Sorry. It’s none of my business.”

“Don’t worry ‘bout it. Just enjoy dinner.”

The warm smile he showed her nearly made her smile back, but she steeled herself. No, she wasn’t going to fall in love with this man.

But she sure as Hell was in danger of it.

“Thank you for the dinner, Alpha.” Lia said as she was about to get out of Marcus’ car, a surprisingly inconspicuous black sedan.

He turned off the engine and surprised her even more by getting out the car and quickly going to her side to help her by grabbing her hand. “It was my pleasure, Lia.”

A tingle went up her spine upon the contact, and upon hearing her name from his mouth. It sounded absolutely… amazing coming from him. All throughout dinner, which she had enjoyed, he never let an opportunity to say her name slip, and she felt the resolve to not fall in love with him weaken, and was it so near dying that she only felt a faint conviction from it.

Maybe it was the fact that the fates had decided it before, and the Moon Goddess had predestined them to be together, that even if she were human, it wouldn’t matter, because the attraction was still there.

It scared her, though. The devotion present in his eyes scared her because she knew she didn’t feel that way just yet. Yes, the attraction was there. Yes, she’d probably fall in love with him in, what, a week? Three at most? It was most likely shorter. But she wasn’t there yet.

They walked up the steps slowly—the apartment was on the third floor—and in silence, which was not at all awkward. Her hand was on the railing and his was on her back, in case she’d slip and fall.

They reached the third floor, and Steven was still opposite the door, and she wondered if he had eaten already.

“Steven,” Marcus nodded his head to the man.

“Alpha,” Steven acknowledged with a nod.

“Has Will left already?” She inquired, and he nodded.

Marcus growled, and Lia felt his hand tense.

“Who’s Will?” He said, his voice low, barely above a whisper.

Lia looked at him, slightly perplexed, yet she understood his behaviour, though it did annoy her a bit.

“My sister’s mate, he’s from your pack.” She snapped, agitated. She was suddenly reminded of why she hadn't wanted a mate.

She took the key from her purse and took a moment to get the door open.

“Are you staying there the whole night?” Lia turned back, looking at Steven.

“Yes, I am.” He replied, looking at his Alpha.

Maybe it was to spite Marcus, but she really was feeling sorry for Steven. “You could sleep on the couch, you look extremely uncomfortable there.”

“I’m fine with--”

“I insist.” Lia replied, determined.

“He says he’s fine,” Marcus growled, not liking the idea that another male unrelated by blood would be inside with her, it helped a bit that Steven was mated, but he still didn’t like it at all.

“Well, I’m not.  I will not have anyone sleeping or standing outside our door like some stalker or creep. The neighbours will find us weird and I’d rather not stand out.” She glared at Marcus. “If it’s such a big problem for you, then you can get him to leave.”

Lia didn’t know where all the stubbornness was coming from, especially when she had remembered that she was on Marcus’ territory, and if she had talked to Alpha Johnson that way, it was definitely punishment. But it was too late, she’d said it, and she was not going to back down now.

He looked angry for a moment. She was about to apologize when, finally, he sighed.

“Fine.”

He looked at Steven and Lia knew, with the sudden silence, that they were talking through their link.

Finally, Steven nodded. “Understood, Alpha.”

Lia stood aside, and Steven entered the house, which still had the lights on in the living room, but Henry and Sophie were probably asleep already, as they were nowhere in sight.

As soon as Steven entered, Lia turned to go inside but was pulled back by Marcus.

“Wha--” she was promptly cut off by his lips.

For a moment, she just stood there, eyes wide, frozen in her current position as neither one of them moved. Marcus stood still, his arm muscles tense as he tried not to hug her to him. Her mouth had been slightly open, and he didn’t waste the opportunity to invade her mouth with his tongue. She tasted like… paradise.

Lia was jolted back to reality and she promptly pulled back. “What in Hell do you think you’re doing?!”

She clenched her fist and stepped back. She thought she should ask him to leave, but, no, that would have been very unwise, and so they stood there awkwardly.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Marcus said after a few moments, his hands in his pockets.

She nodded, still bewildered by what had just happened. He gave her a small smile, letting her know that he was not at all sorry for what he had done. He stepped forward and Lia immediately tensed, but he did nothing but kiss her on the cheek.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” he whispered in her ear, making her close her eyes and shiver.

When she had opened them again, he was gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4M 87.6K 50
[WARNING:Needs Major Editing & has harsh materials that some readers may find disturbing, so read at your own risk.] [A werewolf story] It all begin...
3.8M 119K 36
Everly is a werewolf living in a pack where no one wants her. Her mother and father don't treat her the same as her beautiful sister. She has learned...
446K 10.3K 50
~~First book in Alpha Series~~ ~~~Completed~~~ This is my first book, so be warned it isn't the best. Natalie has gone through one rejection and is n...
13.7K 692 56
The moon pack lost their Luna eleven years ago and the loss of her still impacts them all. Especially her three children and her mate. As her childr...