Maybe this time [Completed]

By sp1nach

20 years. 3 life stages. 1 last chance to make it right. Can they fix the mistakes of the past and finally be... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue

Chapter 33

101 4 3
By sp1nach

A/N : switching back to Elisse.

Paul's photo above as Elisse remembers him from that first day :)

**************

I never knew.

It was weird because I had lived through the same moments that Paul was recalling, but I remember them differently.

I was so stupid. My mother was right.

How did I not realize that Paul loved me? That he had since the beginning?

He had been beside me all the time, had stayed even if I kept pushing him away. He was the one who always tried to make me laugh when I was down, the one who lifted up my spirits whenever I was dead tired.

And all that time I thought we were just friends. Yes, I knew that we had chemistry. It was undeniable, even the people around us could sense it.

But I always chalked it off to attraction. At most, I thought it was a crush that we both had no intention of pursuing.

How could I have been so blind?

Even when he reacted strongly to Ray, I never even thought of asking him. I was stupid and I had hurt him so much, over and over, for so many years.

A sob broke out and I hugged him tightly, wishing with all my heart that it could erase all the pain that I've caused. But I knew that it wasn't enough.

"I'm sorry," I whispered in his ear.

He stiffened and was quiet for so long that I took a step back to look at him.

"What's wrong?"

He stayed silent for a few more seconds, staring at me intently, before he finally replied.

"What are you apologizing for?"

"For everything! For hurting you. For not realizing how you felt. I never knew! I'm so, so sorry..."

"Elisse," he paused and took a deep breath before continuing. "You don't have to apologize. It was a choice you made, it was your right, and I don't blame you. Not one bit. I did all that to myself. If anyone's to blame, it should be me."

"Paul..." I tried to speak but I suddenly broke down, tears falling freely now like a dam had broken and I didn't have the power to stop it.

He hugged me back and gently squeezed my arms, comforting me quietly with his presence until the tears stopped.

"I... I told myself it was only a crush, you know? I convinced myself so well I even started to believe it."

I looked at him guiltily, willing him to understand the decisions I had made in my youth.

"It's okay, Elisse. I already told you, I don't blame you. You don't have to explain."

"No... I want you to understand why. That's the only way I can forgive myself," I begged him, and he finally nodded, urging me to continue.

"It's because I had this stupid, naive idea in my head of what my future would be. And I visualized my husband to be the serious, responsible type. Someone who I can confide in, who I can lean on. Someone stable."

I looked at him and smiled sadly.

"Someone who was not like you. Because you always seemed to be joking around. You never took me seriously, I thought you weren't the type to settle down. And you had so many different girls around you every day, I didn't think you'd be content with just one."

"What? What are you talking about? I never dated when we were at the station."

"Oh I know you never had a serious relationship. But you had girls surrounding you all the time, so I thought maybe you didn't want to be in any relationship at all."

He sighed in resignation.

"I don't even remember a single name or the face of any of those girls. Why didn't you ask me?"

"Because it was none of my business," I replied quietly. "And I understood the attraction. I mean, I had to consciously stop myself from falling for you."

His eyes grew large and his mouth practically hung open in surprise.

"You were falling for me?"

I nodded slowly.

"I think I may have from the start. I thought at the time that I was just annoyed because you were always teasing me. But experience has taught me - and my mom just recently pointed it out - that I don't react like that to anybody else. Just you." 

"But why did you not want it to happen? What did I do wrong?"

He was genuinely confused. I don't blame him. Looking back now, it doesn't make sense to me either.

"Because you looked like a player from the first day I met you. And I didn't want to get my heart broken."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

164K 5.7K 20
Loving Alek came easily. Being indifferent to him was the hard part. If I wanted any chance of surviving this breakup, I needed to get my acting ski...
4.3K 772 42
This is a story about how Lia and Sam who are madly in love fight against their problems obstacles, trust issues, insecurities, ego and so on. Life g...
640 75 11
An ambitious Lawyer who raises his two brothers is going stir crazy. His brothers do not listen, they fight with each other, and the household feels...
13K 301 33
"Please," I heard him beg once more, I looked up at him as he slowly turned his lips into a pout. I heaved a sigh as I let my shoulders slouch. "Fin...