Grifter|| A Love Story||

By mercifulmeh

We were a team. A confidence team, gaining your trust and ripping you off for every penny we could squeeze ou... More

Description
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12

9

2.1K 114 24
By mercifulmeh

I sat on the edge of the motel bed rubbing my aching feet. "I really wish these cons didn't have to include heels," I whined. 

"We'll switch places next time," Bas quipped coming to sit beside me. 

"Please! I really need to see you squeeze into a dress." I chuckled, laying my head on his shoulder. His fingers rubbed the length of my arm, sending shivers through my body. 

"Do you ever think about life after this?" I whispered. His lips caressed my forehead and he hummed. 

"Big house, marriage, and babies?" He questioned, missing the longing smile crossing my lips. 

"You forgot the white picket fence," I teased. Poking his side with my finger, earning a laugh from him. 

"You want to get married?" He asked with sincerity. 

I thought about it for a split second. Going through all my daydreams I had about the future. 

"We've been on the run for three years," I said in a small voice. "I've always imagined walking down the aisle with you. Starting a real-life….." 

"The day we walk away from this life, I will walk you down the aisle so fast you'll be pregnant by our honeymoon." I snorted, slapping his shoulder. 

"You're so romantic!" I fake swooned, wrapping my arms around his neck. 

"You remember that baby, because, after five kids, I don't know if I'll be able to keep the romance alive!!!" He laughed as my face fell thirty stories. 

"I'm sorry, five!?" I squealed out, straddling his lap. "There's no way in hell I'm raising FIVE Sebastian juniors. You're delusional." I said kissing his cheek, as his arms wrapped around my body. 

"We can comprise," he whispered before capturing my lips against his. 

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

"I'm sorry, Grandma," I whispered, leaning my head back against the cool granite headstone. My eyes searching the stars sparkling above the family plot. Nestled in the middle of corn and bean fields, far from prying eyes, I felt momentarily safe.

"I have to this time, I have no choice," I whispered again, patting the grass beneath me. Praying to God she wouldn't reach out from the grave, pull me in, and smother me for even thinking about going back to him. There was no thinking it through, my life--- our life---was about to change in a big way. 

Tears streamed down my face, as I rubbed a hand over my stomach. Butterflies, among another little thing, brewed on the inside causing my nerves to go haywire.

Sirens blasted in the distance of the small town I had come from, probably racing to what I had done to my house. My poor grandparent's house they had left me years before, my childhood home, the only home I remembered. Went up in flames, but I had to do it. I had to destroy everything from my life. Plus-- Bastian had given me up to the feds unintentionally and I really couldn't blame him this time. I loved him too much to blame him anymore, for anything. 

"He's given me no choice and I….I love him. A lot. I always have. I need him. I hope you understand why you'll never see me again." I whispered into the winds again. Twirling the engagement ring he had given me 6 years before. Spinning it in my fingers before slipping it back on my finger for the first time since he had betrayed me, fitting as perfectly as it did before.

I swallowed the tingling lump in my throat, as my exit strategy waltz up the grassy field and through the fence of the small family graveyard. His hands were shoved deep into his jeans and his oddly colored Hawaiian shirt blew in the fall winds.

He sat down and threw his arm around my shoulders, lovingly pulling my head onto his. After years of working together, we had an odd bond that couldn't be broken.

"My, my, Alexis Campbell. I'm surprised by you. No noise from you for six years and here you are, blubbering at midnight in a graveyard." He said playfully, making my whole body jolt with a chuckle.

"Never thought you'd see the day where you'd catch me like this, huh?" I teased, wiping the tears from my cheeks. 

"Good thing I'm retired then," he said softly, trying to reassure me. 

"How's retired life treating you?" I asked lifting my head to peer into his dark eyes. 

"So far I've helped a few old friends, who happened to be very wanted by the FBI. To Australia of all places on this planet, but I enjoy the skies. Sometimes I think I missed out on my true calling in life. And how about you, Alexis? You were very quiet for many years how was your retirement?" 

"Sucked," I groaned, "I was convinced the love of my life was dead or caught. But come to find out, he was hiding with the enemy." 

"Mmm, I see Sebastian let the cat out of the bag. He was on a mission, though. You understand why." He said sincerely, giving me the impression he had helped Bas all along.

"You know---I never asked him to do that." He chuckled at me, rubbing his fingers over my arm. 

"That's never stopped him before." I smiled and nodded in agreement. 

"He's an idiot but he's my idiot," I said affectionately. 

"Are you ready to truly retire?" Branch asked looking down at me like I was his daughter with love in his eyes.

"Take me to Bas, Branch. Please. I want to cash in on that favor you owe me." I begged I couldn't wait to get my hands on Bas and hold him. 

"10 years ago I dreamed of this moment. You two outsmarted me every step of the way. And now? Now I'm just a friend helping out a friend. Let's get you to that plane." He held out his hand and I took it.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

My stomach was on fire. The stomach acid I hoped to keep down was burning the back of my teeth, turning my stomach more. And the plane didn't help either. It was so small like a tin can being carelessly tossed through the air.

Speaking of---

"Branch," I choked out, holding my hand over my mouth. "Bathroom!!!" I shrieked with urgency. He raised a brow, looking up from his newspaper, but pointed me in the right direction. 

I ran like hell, faster than I had run in a long time. Before spewing my guts into the tiny toilet, in the tiny airplane, where I was sure I was going to be for the next 14 hours of the flight. 

"You ok, kid?" He leaned in the doorway, as I wiped my mouth. Leaning my back up against the wall. 

"Ask me in 14 hours," I grumbled, wiping a clammy hand across my forehead. 

"Motion sickness? I have some pills that help with that, I can grab you some." I shook my head. 

"As much as I would love that, the doctors strongly advised me not to take any sorts of medications," I grumbled at their warnings to me. No medications, only certain kinds could be taken. Damn it, the one time I needed relief, I couldn't take anything to soothe it. 

"Doctors?" He raised a brow now and I patted my stomach. 

"Let's just say when I last saw Bas 6 weeks ago, he left me a parting gift," I said sarcastically.

"Oh," Branch said and then his eyes got wide. "Oh!!!! No---so you're telling me I'm going to have to warn the Australian government that my two most successful criminals have created a spawn?" He said through a proud smile and I shrugged. 

"You better hope it takes after me, Bas was the mastermind of our operation." I teased, feeling another round of nausea hit me like a tidal wave. 

"I knew it!" He playfully proclaimed, thrusting a finger into the air. "Need some sprite, kid?" I groaned, shaking my head up and down. Wishing the spinning inside my skull would dull so I could sleep. 

He walked back into the small bathroom with a bag of peppermints and a can of Sprite.

"You're my hero," I quipped taking them from him, carefully taking a drink. 

"I'm assuming he doesn't know then?" I cringed after taking a drink.

"We didn't part on the best terms. No phone number...just an address. I--I don't know if he'll be…..happy to see me." My brain went back through the fight we had, the words I had said to him. How could he still love me after everything I said to him? Branch immediately rolled his eyes, scoffing at my words. 

"Well--let's just say when I last saw him he made me promise I'd get you out no matter what." A grin spread across my lips at his reassurance. "So no matter what you've ever said to him, that crazy boy will always have your back. And if you tell him about that," he pointed to my stomach, as I stroked it gently. "He'd be thrilled." 

"Before he ran away from our last heist, this is what we had hoped for," I sighed, thinking about the family we had talked about. "Crazy man told me he wanted five kids," I giggled at the thought. 

"Five Sebastians running around?" He quipped, making me laugh more almost forgetting the fire of acid in my stomach. 

"I settled with three, so don't worry," I said with a grin. 

"You two are off to a good start then, now let's get you and that baby to him safely." Held out his hand to me and pulled me up and helped me to my seat. 

●●●●●●●●●

The flight went a lot faster after I managed to crawl from the depths of the tiny bathroom and got some sleep. The peppermints and Sprite were a welcomed remedy that helped my churning stomach settle.

My only stomach pain now was the result of the slight anxiety attack pounding in my chest. I was officially standing in front of a two-story townhouse with one bag full of my clothes and nothing else. The address matched the one on the paper, but I was still hesitant.

What if he had moved or had been caught? What if he wasn't here? I'd be fucked. So utterly fucked in a country I knew nothing about. The only thing that gave me solace was Branch's words. He said he had dropped him off here and Bas had reassured him he'd be here forever waiting for me. So with a big breath filling my lungs, I made my move and knocked on the door. 

I bit my nail, looking around the small neighborhood nervously. My stomach dropped, no answer. I banged on the front door again, this time a little louder hoping to rouse Bas. The butterflies in my stomach made me want to spew chunks all over again, as my body vibrated in anticipation. I couldn't wait to see his face again. I couldn't wait to hold him in my arms.  

The faint sound of movement came from behind the door through heavy shuffles. The door flew open and my heart sank into my stomach at the sight of him. But not my him.

"Dave?" I questioned, my voice going up an octave. I hadn't seen him for over six years as well, since the art heist. And he looked exactly the same as before. Same chubby face. God, he always looked baby like with those dimples in his cheeks. Same goofy grin with the same jet black hair standing on end. Not a thing had changed in six years.

He smiled wide, after piling a spoonful of cereal into his mouth. The milk poured over his chin, but he seemed too caught up in the moment to notice. 

"Alexis," he said cheerfully, beckoning me inside. 

"Is he here?" I asked in a shaky voice, barely able to speak. He nodded his head toward the upstairs. 

"Yeah--he just got off from work though so he's sleeping. He works overnights now, sleeps during the day." I smiled, thankful he was here and thankful he was asleep.  

"Which room? I need to see him." I begged I needed to be near him now. I needed him so bad my bones ached. Six weeks ago was a teaser for me, he had only stayed a day, and I needed him like a drug. My drug, my Bastian sized drug. I was utterly and completely in love with him.

"Upstairs last door on the left." He said without hesitation. He knew us too well. 

"Good, I'm exhausted. I'll see you later? And is Claire here?" He nodded, "she's working, she'll be surprised to see you. Now go get some rest, ya look like shit." I flipped him off and then waved. I didn't want to waste any more time. 

I walked up the stairs, dragging my bag behind me lazily. Thankful I was finally here in a place I could feel safe in. Finally safe and I could just be myself.

Alexis.

No more Betty or Sookie or Debra, just Alexis. I could be with the one I wanted to be with, who was currently cuddling his pillow in the middle of the bed. His shaggy blonde hair curled and splayed on the pillow, as soft snores escaped his lips. He was out like a light, making my heart giddy.  

I couldn't help but smile at his sleeping form. Like a precious puppy dog, beckoning a cuddle from me. He didn't move an inch when I walked into the room, which I was thankful for. I just wanted to curl into him and sleep for hours and hours with him by my side and forget the last 6 years had happened. 

I got myself comfortable, quietly taking my pants, shirt, and shoes off. Throwing them into a pile on the ground. I went to Bas' closet and pulled a large grey shirt from a hanger and pulled it over my head. I swam in his scent, pulling it to my nose savoring his familiar cologne. Finally, I peeled back the comforter and crawled in. And the man still didn't move, he was like a statue. For an ex-con who was always alert, he sure didn't feel me beside him. His chest rose and fell, the snores still coming from between his lips and it was like music to my ears. My body relaxed the instant his body heat hit mine and I was out for the count. 

I groaned feeling his lips all over my cheeks and neck. His hands stroked my hair, his body right next to mine. I instinctively swatted him away, but he caught my wrist and shook me with his chuckle. 

"After all these years, I didn't feel you crawl into bed." He whispered into my ear, his warm breathes fanning my face. 

"I'm exhausted," I groaned, "Branch's plane is a freakin' death trap." He chuckled, shaking the bed. 

"I didn't think you'd like it, I know how you are with small spaces." I smiled again, his lips continually pecking kisses across my flesh. 

"You tried to make it work, didn't you?" He asked in seriousness. 

"I tried, so hard," I confessed. "I was afraid, I---" he put a finger over my lips stopping me. 

"I'm sorry I ran away again. I'm sorry I ran in the middle of a con. I'm sorry it hurt you, it's something I never want to do again. I've always loved you, babe." He cooed, cuddling into me further, melting us into one.  

"I love you too. I forgive you, for everything. And I'm so sorry for all the awful things I said to you before you left, I didn't mean any of it…" 

"I hurt you. I brought them to you. I tried hard to lead them in a different direction. I just needed to see you, feel you, and say my apologies before I left the states." 

"You also wanted to convince me to come with you," I smirked, finally opening my eyes to look up at him. 

"There she is," he smiled, bending down to kiss my lips. "Mmm--you taste like peppermints." He whispered, kissing me again. Which brought me to why I tasted like them. I needed to tell him. 

"That plane made me sick." He smoothed out my hair. 

"You get sick reading in the car," he pointed out, which was true. Motion sickness was my enemy. 

"That wasn't it. I've flown before, I've been fine." He shrugged. 

"Ah--yeah, that one time we were able to swindle our way onto a plane. Oh man, Lex, that was fun. We got so drunk, those flight attendants were so mad at us." We giggled at the memory and I swept a strand of hair from in front of his eyes. 

"You left something behind when you left," I whispered, as his eyebrows furrowed. 

"Left something? I cut off all my loose ends. Anything and everything about me was resolved." He said with sincerity and I smiled placing his hand onto my stomach. For a smarty pants, he sure had a hard time catching my drift. 

"You left something behind with me," I said again and his eyes darted around in confusion. His hand crept around my stomach, running in circles as the wheels turned in his head. 

"Sebastian," I said softly, tears forming in my eyes I couldn't hold back the emotions any longer. "A week ago my very reliable period didn't show up." His face fell, and his hand stilled on my stomach. "And a week ago, I learned the FBI finally got a warrant for my house and a week ago I told Branch to come and get me. And a week ago, I took a test...." 

"You're--you're telling me--that you're…." He was fumbling with his tongue. 

"You knocked me up, you idiot," I said through a laugh, all the color from his face returned the moment I said it and large Bastian sized grin forming on his face. 

"Alexis," he whispered lips a millimeter from mine. "I finally locked you down didn't I?" I rolled my eyes. 

"Asshole," I swatted his shoulder playfully of course. 

"We are going to have to move. I'm not having my kid around Dave and Claire every day. I need to…." He stopped for just a moment and cocked his head to the side. 

"Marry me." He whispered as I brought my left hand into his view. 

"You've already asked that question and my answer is always yes." He marveled at my ring. 

"You kept it," he whispered, "you actually kept it. I thought you'd pawn it or...or...sell it." 

"Despite what I said and how I acted. I always wanted you to come back. I knew if you did, I'd be your pile of goo again and here I am. I moved all the way across the world for you to a spider and snake-infested land full of things that want to kill me. I'm your pile of goo, baby." He smirked at my words. 

"Don't call me baby, it sounds stupid." He kissed my neck, making fun of what I had always said about that word. 

"That's my line, babe." I giggled, as he climbed on top of me, kissing my neck still. 

"God damn, I missed you so much. Walking away from you was the hardest thing I've ever done. And I've done it twice and I promise you, I'll never, ever leave you again!" He punctuated every word with a kiss to my lips, spreading my legs with his. I wrapped them around his waist, as he pulled the blankets over our bodies. 

"You better not or I'll chop it off and feed it to the scary animals." He cringed, widening his eyes. 

"That's not a very nice threat, how else am I supposed to impregnate you four more times without it?" 

"Ugh, three, we settled for three!" I hissed, feeling how truly happy he was to have me back. 

"You need me to keep it, just like I'm going to keep you," he kissed my neck, slowly pushing himself inside of me and we groaned. 

"Wait--" he pulled out slowly, my eyes roll into the back of my head. "This won't hurt it, will it?" He slowly pushed back in and I shook my head. 

"I'm only 6 weeks along, it's just cells. You won't hurt it or me. Now I need you, you tease." I groaned as he sheathed himself inside of me. 

And we made love for hours, making up for the six years we had been apart. Finally, we pulled apart as the sun went down, laying intertwined together. His fingers wrapped around mine, clinging onto me for dear life.

"Lex, I need to tell you something. One last thing." He whispered, sending my heart into an anxious frenzy.

"What?" I whispered nervously, looking back at him, his fingers tracing my cheeks.

"It's....." The door burst open and before I knew it I had a body on top of me. Crushing every rib and making it impossible to breathe.

"Unf, Claire, seriously, I'm naked!" I shrieked, wrapping my arms around her anyways. She sniffled into my neck.

"Shut up! I haven't seen you in six years, woman. I've missed you." She groaned into my neck, hugging me tightly. I ruffled her short blonde hair and smiled. I had missed her a lot.

"Watch your knees," Sebastian growled pushing Claire's knees away from me. But Claire wasn't going to let go any time soon.

So whatever Bas had to say, could wait a few minutes.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 85 19
"Well then. That's the first time a girl has ever rejected my close proximity," he said, eyes ablaze with a playful fire. "You better get used to it...
3.2K 14 20
Trigger warning for the following: -mature content -some strong language -fighting -mentions of abuse Everything was cool. It was fine and normal...
352K 8.1K 28
"Why do you care if I kiss other girls? We're not together, we're friends" he stated swallowing his emotions. "You're right, why should I care? Like...
1.3M 35.4K 42
"You make me want to do things to you." He mumbles, his brown eyes never straying from mine. "What?" I whisper, nervous yet at the same time my hear...