A Summer's Secret

By _cynical

Secrets come with a price. Asia Cassidy is about to learn that secrets aren't free (and are not that easy t... More

EPIGRAPH
Prologue
☼Chapter 1 [[THE SECRET]]
☼Chapter 2
☼Chapter 3
☼Chapter 4
☼Chapter 5
☼Chapter 6
☼Chapter 7
☼Chapter 8
☼Chapter 9
☼Chapter 10
☼Chapter 11
☼Chapter 12
☼Chapter 13 [[ THE TRUTH ]]
☼Chapter 14
☼Chapter 15
☼Chapter 16
☼Chapter 17
☼Chapter 18
☼Chapter 19
☼Chapter 20
☼Chapter 21
☼Chapter 22
☼Chapter 23
☼Chapter 24
☼Chapter 25
☼Chapter 27
☼Chapter 28
☼Chapter 29
☼Chapter 30
☼Chapter 31
☼Chapter 32
☼Chapter 33 [The Revelation]
☼Chapter 34
☼Chapter 35
☼Chapter 36
Epilogue
Bonus

☼Chapter 26

2.9K 164 21
By _cynical

26.

The scene from earlier continued to play in my mind, even as I was holding a hot cup of spice pumpkin latte while playing "The Game of Life" with London, Sam and Cade. I didn't know what to make out of my actions, which, in my opinion, was lying on the borderline of stupidity and something else.

What's worse was his reaction afterwards, how he took a step backward and touched his fingertip on his bottom lip, "please stop leading me on if that's what you're planning to do," that was what he said. What was I even expecting? Did I want him to pull me towards him and kiss me some more? Why the heck must this thing be so complicated?

I replied with a shrug, tears were threatening to fall from my eyes, "I'm sorry, I really don't know what to do right now," I said as I once again (I know, I'm stupid) attempted to run away. This time however, Aiden stopped me by the wrist.

"I don't know what to do anymore too," he replied in a small voice.

"I hope you believed what I said earlier, about me loving you, because for what it's worth, I know in my heart that it's true."

I tugged away from him, and he didn't stop me this time.

"Lover girl, it's your turn," London snapped her fingers in front of me and I was both annoyed and thankful for her gesture.

"Don't call me that," I mumbled as I took a spin on the wheel. The pointer landed on five so I moved my blue car on the fifth space from my location, unfortunately it was the midlife crisis space. Great, just great.

"You know, something's not right with you today," London pointed out as she tapped a red finger nail on her chin, "did Walker say he was giving up on you?"

Sam shook his head at his girlfriend's comment, "you shouldn't make things worse dear."

London sighed, "fine."

Cade shuffled the deck of Career cards and fanned it right in front of me, "alright, let's just keep playing. How about you pick a new job?"

I sighed. I didn't want to trade in my job as an accountant but I was too tired to carry on with the game, "I don't feel like playing anymore," I muttered.

London clapped her hands in triumph, "good let's just stop playing."

Sam rolled his eyes, "of course you'd want to stop playing, it's clear that you're losing."

London gave him an evil smile, "no Sam, it's just because you are winning."

It was Cade's turn to roll his eyes, "just quit it guys," he said as he took the fanned out cards back in his hands, "maybe it's time for us to go to bed."

I didn't protest on that one as I drank the last of my latte, "I'll go ahead guys, see you in the morning."

I didn't have to turn around to know that all eyes were watching me. It didn't even take a psychic to know that they were all thinking of the same thing about me. It was just the matter of who would talk to me about it first.

"Don't pretend you're asleep," London's voice said.

My back was facing her and I had no intention of turning around. I thought it would be Cade who would talk to me or Sam giving me a drink, but no, it had to be London and her unfixable meanness.

I could hear her walk inside my room as she shut the door a little too loudly, soon I felt her weight on my bed. I still didn't turn around.

"I know you're awake," she spoke but I didn't say anything in reply.

"I know something happened," she continued, "I know I'm mean but you can always talk to me. I'm still your sister and I could use some listening practice especially once this heavy thing in my belly gets to its teenage years."

I snorted at this, "you just called your baby an 'it'," I said, still with my back facing her.

"I'm aware," London said in a light hearted tone that was so un-London like, "so why don't you tell me what happened earlier today?"

I sighed, "I kissed Aiden."

"Well nothing is really wrong with you guys kissing," London replied.

"No, no I kissed him," I said emphasizing the 'I' and this time I turned to see the look on London's face.

"Well, well," London said, one of her brows was now raised, "there's something you don't hear everyday."

I tried to give London a look that could kill but as usual, she was oblivious, "he thinks I'm leading him on," I replied instead.

"Are you?"

I didn't reply, instead I sat up straighter so I could see London face to face. London tossed a small rectangular object at me and I fumbled to find the small stick somewhere in my duvet.

"What is this?" I asked turning what looked like a cassette tape in between my fingers.

"Have you never seen a mixtape before?"

Of course, only Aiden would think that giving away mixtapes is the most romantic thing to do. I tried to resist smiling.

"Your lover boy dropped this an hour or so ago, when you said you would 'go ahead'," London said as she made air quotations with her fingers.

"Wait, Aiden came over?" I asked, quite ashamed at how excited I sounded.

"Sam asked him to come inside but he said he just came to give you something and to tell you that..." London paused and the side of her lip curled into an evil smile. I knew she was daring me to ask her to continue.

"Tell me what?" I replied, taking the bait.

"I'll only tell you when you admit your true feelings for him." Very sneaky London, very sneaky.

I sighed.

I tend to sigh a lot, "fine, I think I really like him."

"He said he's not giving up."

I blinked my eyes, I never really got what London said at first before I realized she was talking about the 'thing' Aiden said for her to tell me. He's not giving up. The thought of him saying that sent ripples of emotions inside of me. He's not giving up, so I'm not giving up.

'But, now is not the right time,' another voice in my head spoke, 'you both need more time.'

I knew that. I knew that we can never start a relationship that is half broken or on the verge of sinking. No, I still have to find out what happened and Aiden has to I dunno, prepare himself emotionally? To accept that there might be a huge possibility of me not remembering.

Now that left me with a very important question, "Will he still like me even if I can't remember whatever it was we had before?"

London was now waving her hand in front of my face, "hello, I'm still talking here."

I shook my head to snap myself out of my daze, "did he say what's inside this?" I said as I held the tape in front of London.

"Probably a bunch of songs." She said rolling her eyes. Okay the answer was obvious."That boy is a total nerd so he probably thought music can stimulate your memories or something," London replied nonchalantly.

I smiled. London was right, Aiden was part nerd which meant he probably researched the possibility of music being able to bring memories back.

"One more thing," London said with another smile, "I didn't just came here to be a messenger."

"What do you mean?" I replied. Sometimes, I just hated how London could be so... indescribably annoying.

"I'm here to tell you a story."

It was my turn to roll my eyes. Oh boy, this is going to be a long night for sure.

~

"You were always so excited about the thought of love that it got really annoying," London started, "but our dear mother and father never encouraged you to have a boyfriend. They said you were too young. I never really bothered with that because really, who would want to be with an annoying love dovey twerp like you?"

I raised my brow at my sister who was now laughing her heart out, "what did you say this story was about again?"

She appeared to not have heard me, or she chose not to hear me as she carried on with her story.

"Of course, as we all know someone actually wanted to be with you and that other annoying twerp's name was Aiden Walker. He was a good natured kid, quiet, mysterious, good looking. Many girls liked him but I guess he was never really into them because he chose you. I don't even know what he saw in you."

"Seriously London, what are you talking about?" I interrupted.

"Shh, just listen," she said as she flicked her hands in front of me.

"So, one day you started bringing flowers home with a smile on your face. There were occasions where you brought letters as well. I knew they were letters because I just can't stop myself from going over your stuff. So then I knew you had a secret admirer. I guess you were just stupid because you never figured the initials out, A.W. seriously how many boys in your highschool had that initials?"

"How'd you find out it was Aiden Walker then?" I replied, with a quite defensive tone. How stupid was I not to figure out A.W. was Aiden Walker?

"Claude told me," London replied.

"So even my brother can't get his hands out of my business?"

"Right, so anyways it lasted for a month or so, the flowers and letters I mean. And by then you already knew that your secret admirer was Aiden Walker. We were so proud of your genius discovery."

"Don't mock me, just go on with the story already," I said, feeling my cheeks starting to warm

"You started to write your names and do the F.L.A.M.E.S.,"

"Please, London just don't tell me those parts," I replied as I threw a pillow at her direction. My cheeks were warmer this time.

London laughed and pretended to wipe a tear at the corner of her eye, "it was quite obvious that you two liked each other, but it was the matter of convincing mom and dad. They haven't met Aiden yet so they had this weird ideas of him having tattoos and nose rings. I know, they're really pessimistic, they might have mistaken you for me."

I nodded my head in agreement.

"So here is the real deal. This story is about how Aiden Walker got the hearts of Asia Cassidy's abnormal family."

"So you made me listen to what? An intro?" I said not noticing the sarcasm in my voice.

"I love a good intro," London replied.

"Now then, somewhere before the end of your junior year, Aiden Walker came to our house with a guitar slung in his back and a crappy wingman by his side."

I could already imagine Ethan Gray's face as the crappy wingman London was talking about.

"He sang beautifully, I have to admit, while his best buddy held more flowers in his hands then he could actually hold. Dad looked epic with his brows all furrowed right at the middle of his face. He was asking who the boy was, and what was he doing waking up the neighbors, and basically just rambling about how he would sue him for public disturbance but mom just held a finger right in front of his mouth. He shut up in the end and watched as Aiden Walker continued on with his ballad."

I smiled at the visualization of Dad being annoying while everyone in the house was swooning at Aiden and his song.

"Eventually, he was invited inside our home, his friend decided it was way past his bedtime and so he went home right as Aiden stepped his foot inside ours. You can guess what happened next as dad tried to put him on the hot seat, asking questions both intrusive and non-intrusive. In all fairness to your boyfriend, he answered dad's questions in full confidence and honesty. It didn't take long before he started to warm up to Aiden. For the next days, he kept on inviting him over for dinner. Dad loved talking to Aiden, and soon everyone loved him too. I even thought he was not so bad."

So my family loved Aiden before? I can't believe it. Was London even telling the truth?

"I know unbelievable right," London said as if reading my mind, "by the way they're trying to separate the both of you, who would have thought that our parents used to adore Aiden Walker?"

London was right, so right. Now I wanted to know, wanted to know so bad what happened on the day of my accident that caused such a turn on our lives.

London studied my face as if trying to read what I was thinking right then and then her expression softened.

"Asia, you know I can't tell you the rest of the story right? There really are some things you have to find out on your own, with your own judgment. If what I'm thinking about what you are thinking is right, then you are right. Whatever happened was so big, I think the only person who might agree to tell you the story is Aiden and we both know he'll hesitate to tell you. You know why."

Shivers ran down my spine because once again London was right, not only about what I was thinking but because of the last thing she said. I know why, and I think I do.

Aiden did something and not only did my family blame him, he also blamed himself for whatever happened between us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

827K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
217 34 30
They say the moon keeps people's secrets, but for Tessa it reveals them all. Tessa was never supposed to be the pack's next alpha, but fate had othe...
The Secret By Trina Maria

Mystery / Thriller

642 3 34
I have a secret, one I cannot tell. If I do my mother dies but if I don't I might. ---------- Maya was a sweet girl she loved wearing dresses, she ke...
144K 6.8K 63
Gawking two guys in a hot-blown make-out session in the mathematical section of the library was not what I expected my first day after Winter breaks...