Dreams: Rewritten | Ninjago R...

By WriterAgreste

[Major editing in process] In the land of Ninjago, people aren't always good, some are bad, others can fit i... More

Standing At Cliff's Edge
To Leave Behind
Paper On The Wind
Razed With The Rubble
A Rude Awakening
Not All Who Slither, Lie
Perfect Recipe For Mischief
In For A Shock
Few Centimetres Apart
Unwilling Rollercoaster Rides
Between Sons & Fathers
Eyes of White-Hot Flame
Into The Serpent's Den
From Bad To Worse
Actions Have Their Consequences
Ninja ''Survive'' Real Life
Landlubbers Beware
Danger of the Doppelgängers
Speed, I Am Speed.
What Broken Bones?
Paper Beats Rock
Retrieving The Scroll
Within The Undercurrent
It's MiCole Jackson!
Ticking Life Away
Sunglow Brilliance
Sweet Tea
Rebooted: The Bacteria Strikes Back
Storm of Emotion
Bruised
Storytime With Acidicus
The Digiverse
Arcturus
Space Ninja
Farewell
Purity, Virtue & Innocence
An Invitation
Snake Obsessed Dude
Lightning Vs Earth
Sister Versus Sister
Secret Alliances
Slither As Fast As You Can
Power Thief
Escape Attempt
The Greatest Enemy: Fear
Fight For Peace
The Moment He Waited For
Spooky Reasons
Ronin, I've Come To Bargain
Spooky Scary Temple
Ice-Scream
Writers of Destiny
It's a Trap
Utterly Riddled
Reverse
Queen of the Waves
Tea Time
Hi & Good Bi
Fame to Framed
Cat, Mouse & Fox
Behind Bars
Hexed
Checkmate
A ''Normal'' Day
Wishin'
Replacement Ninja Team, ASSEMBLE!
Nadakhan Will Pay
Day of the Departed
Memes and Ham Sandwiches
A Master's Secret Revealed
Blackout
Scrap Thieves
A Slow-Mo Fight
Attack on Temple
Risky Decisions
Stop, Wait a Minute
The Boiling Tea- I Mean Sea
It's Rewind Time
Enter Princess Pasta Hair
Simps and Explosions
The White Oleander
I Have Changed, Like You
You've Been Hacked
Quiet Wolf in Sheeps Clothing
If She Breathes-

Woes of Finite Youth

6K 226 672
By WriterAgreste

Miley Cyrus - Butterfly Fly Away

Caterpillar in the tree,

How you wonder who you'll be

Can't go far but you can always dream

Wish you may and wish you might

Don't you worry, hold on tight.

I promise you there will come a day

Butterfly, fly away

A/N: When the ninja aren't home (Y/n is the one with the trombone and Lloyd is the oven kid). This chapter is also known as your author being indulgent sometime before stuff hits the fan. : )

Kids played together on the streets of Jamanakai Village, kicking a soccer ball between themselves. One, in particular, taunted the rest, ending in them getting piled on by two other kids. Another standing before a concrete wall kept their gaze pinned on the ball.

In the end, the ball shot past the goalie kid, hitting the wall. A few of the children cheered while the others looked on in disappointment. Lloyd observed from behind the railing of the Destiny's Bounty as it flew past the village below, sighing.

''Lloyd? Lloyd!'' Kai's voice broke the Green Bean from his thoughts, turning to face the Porcupine. ''Concentrate!'' The young to-be Green Saviour stared at him silently.

''Now that the Bounty is in our possession again, we can train you more effectively. But you'll have to focus.'' Zane reminded him. ''One more time.''

''Oh, but we've been training all day,'' Lloyd complained.

''It's all to get you ready to face your father. Now, in position.'' Cole instructed as the other ninja gathered whilst Lloyd walked to the middle of the deck. They put their hoods on, Lloyd boredly yawning as he got into position.

The Small Green Machine sighed. ''Whatever.''

Kai charged at him first but the boy punched him, sending him back and yawning again. Zane and Jay then launched themselves into the air, aiming for him though he easily whirled into Spinjitzu, knocking the two away from him.

Cole went into a slide kick behind him, Lloyd getting thrown into the air, spinning. He flopped onto his face when he landed, the others looking on in concern once they removed their hoods.

Lloyd's legs wriggled a bit before he looked up at the others, seeing them surround him. ''That was fun. Are we done?'' He hopefully smiled at the ninja.

''Oh, come on. You're better than this. What's on your mind?'' Jay questioned the young boy.

Lloyd got to his feet, walking in between the group of ninja. ''Well...The latest issue of Starfarer just came in at Doomsday Comix and it's a limited run, so if I don't go out and get it, it's going to sell out. Last they left off, intergalactic rogue Fritz Donnegan was surrounded by theImperial Sludge, and if I don't find out if he gets out alright, I think I might have my own doomsday.'' He explained.

''The fate of Ninjago rests on your shoulders. As the Green Ninja, you have a giant responsibility to hold. I'm sorry, but you don't have time for such childish things.'' Kai advised as what happiness showed in Lloyd's demeanour deflated.

Lloyd turned, heading back to the railing. ''Other kids get to play and have fun. All I ever do is train.'' He lamented, spotting the Destiny's Bounty nearly out of Jamanakai Village, with kids his age playing with each other and still enjoying themselves.

When you headed back up onto the deck, you made a bee-line for Lloyd once you noticed him looking away from the others.

''Is everything okay?" You asked him in a low whisper. The boy swallowed thickly, his watery eyes meeting your own with a shake of his head. ''Oh, Lloyd...'' You held out your arms to hug him, the boy eagerly leaping into them, hugging you tightly as he sniffled.

Both of you remained there like that for a few minutes, blocking out all else before the stairs leading below the deck creaked underfoot.

''Guys, there's been a break-in at the Ninjago City Museum of History and the security cameras picked up you-know-who!'' Nya announced while Lloyd wormed himself out of your grasp and looked over at her. You sighed from the loss of close company.

''Garmadon!'' Cole realised, narrowing his eyes.

''We have to stop him before he uses the Mega Weapon to start another one of the diabolical plots,'' Jay said as he looked at Nya. Lloyd walked up to them with a hopeful look on his face, though the stares from the ninja told him enough, making him sigh.

''Yeah, yeah, yeah. I can't go and it's safer if I stay here and train.'' Lloyd replied, annoyed.

The ninja nodded. Lloyd folded his arms in disappointment. On the outskirts of Ninjago City, several minutes later, the ninja sat in the Ultra Sonic Raider while nearby the Destiny's Bounty was parked near the ground. You, Nya and Lloyd looked down at the others.

''We'll meet up at the Bounty as soon as we're done,'' Kai informed.

''We'll be waiting for your safe return,'' Nya assured her brother. The Ultra Sonic Raider started up, while you glared at the vehicle as it sped off down the road, gritting your teeth behind tight lips. The temperature changed, warming as your eyes grew hot.

Lloyd sighed in frustration. ''Too old for comic books and too young to fight. When are they gonna make up their minds?'' He questioned Nya.

''Come on, pint size. Show me what you got.'' Nya told him, the boy yawning and walking away.

In the Ultra Sonic Raider, the ninja kept their sights on the road ahead. Though, something was off. Jay shuddered, an odd feeling washing over him like a bad omen. ''Is it just me, or do I have the heebie-jeebies?"

Kai sighed. ''Knock it off, we're fine.''

''I felt it too,'' Zane confirmed, Jay, meeting his gaze worriedly. ''Perhaps it would be best if we remain vigilant.''

Cole hated to admit it but he had felt it too. ''Something about that doesn't feel right. Like what Zane said, keep your heads up,'' He told the others.

''We might just need it.''

Lloyd read a comic book alone in his room, a heavy weight settling in his chest from what the ninja had told him. He was a kid, not as old as they were yet they couldn't see that, could they? His grip on the pages tightened, the boy closing his eyes as he held back a sob.

Though a knock on the door broke him out of it before the comic book page could be ripped.

''Lloyd?" A familiar and welcomed voice sounded from the other side, the squeaking of wheels adding to the boy's piqued interest.

''Come in,'' Lloyd still groaned.

You pushed open the door, gaze settling on him whilst he stared back at you, awaiting what you had to say. A hopeful light in his eyes grew in warmth.

''Do you wanna take a break-'' The Green Bean didn't need to hear anything else from you, dropping the comic book, leaping off the bed and going to hug you but stopping himself before he could.

''Can I... hug you?" The thought of what he had heard earlier about what B.K. did arose in his thoughts. He shifted his feet awkwardly, looking up at you.

''You can hug me, it's alright.'' A warm smile appeared on your face, opening your arms. The boy lurched forward, knocking the air out of your lungs as he collided with your chest. ''OOF-'' You would've been knocked onto the floor if you were able to stand.

The blond munchkin smiled up at you, hugging you tightly.

''I wasn't even finished.'' You laughed. ''As for what I was going to say, we can go to Mega Monster Amusement Park, go to the shelter and play with the adorable animals, or in your case, the puppies, get some of your favourite stuff-''

''Like getting that new issue of Starfarer?" He interrupted, loosening his hold on you slightly, giving you puppy eyes.

You nodded.

''Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!'' The Green Bean gushed happily.

You patted the top of his soft hair gently. ''You're welcome, Lloyd.'' You whispered with a smile. ''Now, go get changed, I think you'll be more comfortable in casual clothes than in the Green gi.''

Nya faced you while both of you waited for Lloyd to finish getting ready. ''So, you're going out with Lloyd? Do you have a phone in case something happens?" She questioned. You pulled out your company-issued phone, showing it to her. Nya fell silent while you showed all of your contacts, including hers.

Below deck, Lloyd rummaged through the clothes that could fit him. He squinted, seeing something in the back of a closet coloured green.

Brushing aside the clothes, he leaned in to get a closer look, seeing a short-sleeved green tunic along with tights and fake pointy ears. A cap of the same colour with a red feather poking out hung next to it. The Green Bean froze as his breath hitched in his throat, staring at it.

His fingers itched to grab the Peter Pan costume, though he turned his gaze away, pulling some other things out to try first.

You observed the cityscape from behind the Destiny's Bounty's railings, tracing lines with your gaze. Remo lay carefully on the railing, soaking up the sun's rays as the gem on his forehead caught the light, his silver scales glimmering.

''I'm ready!'' A high-pitched voice followed by footsteps thundered up the steps to the deck. Remo squeaked out of surprise, nearly falling off the side but coiling himself around a baluster (the part that supported the railing) in time.

You furrowed your eyebrows, attempting to comprehend what the boy in front of you was wearing. A pair of neon yellow alien-styled silly shades sat on his face, along with mismatched plastic dinosaur clip-on earrings.

The tag of the grey t-shirt with darker sleeves the boy wore laid under his neck for all to see. It was inside-out and put on backwards, maybe the boy hadn't realised it yet. Nya pointed it out before you did and Lloyd looked at it with an embarrassed chuckle and rushed below deck. He returned, still looking embarrassed.

Now you were able to get a better look at the shirt:

I am unable to quit as I am currently too legit.

Nya snickered a bit while a small smile appeared on your face. Remo found himself on your shoulders as the girl prepared the ramp for you to go down with Lloyd (though you had to go first so he wouldn't be harmed).

''Where shall we go first?" You questioned the boy in an exaggerated regal tone.

The boy thought for a moment. ''I don't know.'' He replied after a moment of silence.

''Maybe Nelson's at the shelter?" You suggested.

''Let's go!'' Lloyd punched the air as he exclaimed.

''Hello, Lloyd, Nelon's in the back with the puppies.'' Your grandfather told Lloyd upon arrival, softly chuckling at his appearance. At the mention of this, the Green Bean rushed to meet the other boy his age, running down the hallway. Laughter followed, Nelson presumably seeing Lloyd's outfit.

You warmly smiled, listening to the two boys playing with the puppies. Games of hide 'n seek, chase, and other games the puppies would enjoy came from down the corridor. Green light flickered in the corner of your eye, you turned to look but only saw your grandfather.

''Is there something on my face?" He questioned, voice coming out weird. He cleared his throat, turning his gaze towards where the boys were playing.

''No, I just thought I saw something.'' It wasn't a good time to play with your illusions, though that wasn't you. It wasn't worth bringing up a topic that you could only be imagining. ''Nevermind it.''

''I'm sure Lloyd would be grateful for you letting him have fun.'' Your grandfather smiled momentarily, his expression turning pensive. ''Youth is so finite, wasting it on grown-up things and...'' He trailed off, muttering an 'I don't know' under his breath, making you lift an eyebrow. He huffed. ''Just... go and see the two, maybe take a pic to remember it later.''

Nelson put the puppies back where they belonged, with an exuberant Honey giving Lloyd a big 'ol lick in the face. ''Yuck!'' He exclaimed, wiping his face with his hand to remove the dog saliva, Nelson laughed at his friend's fate before Lloyd joined in too.

The Green Bean took off his silly alien shades, going to hand them over to Nelson but the boy shook his head, instead, he leaned over the bag he had brought with him, pulling out a crown made out of macaroni, the pieces having been glued together as well as a matching necklace with a smirk.

The Green Bean helped him get them on, the two boys standing proud of their outfits. This moment was interrupted when Nelson pointed to what was in front of him.

You were in front of them, your phone in your grasp. ''Photos?" You asked.

Both of their eyes widened, and the two promptly scattered (or did what they could within the room) while you powered after them in the wheelchair, being careful not to run over them, which was hard to do, seeing as Morro kept egging you on to run over the Blond Gremlin.

Finally cornering them, the pair were out of breath, dreadfully staring up at you in fear of what you would do next. Snapping a photo, you showed it to them.

''I think we should do different poses. Right, Lloyd?" Nelson looked at his friend for confirmation. Lloyd returned his gaze with a look of mild betrayal.

''Okay.'' He struck a pose, but Nelson gave him the stink eye.

''Maybe I can see if there's anything around to help you out.'' You then left the room while the two continued to mess around. Puppies began yipping at you as soon as they saw you, while Merlot was absent from the kennel as he had been adopted recently.

No one else seemed to be around, faint ticking replacing the silence. Holding back a sigh, you turned your attention to the grandfather clock, wheeling over, your previous goal forgotten.

Putting a hand out, you thumbed the edges below the clock face while admiring the intricacies of its details, brushing away the layers of gathered dust.

Oddly enough, a sticker with a green rabbit stuck to the side, its presence jarring due to it being on the family heirloom.

So, if the old man kicked the bucket, it was technically yours. Whoops, off-topic.

Maybe there were no secrets to the clock, all you had been hearing besides the ticking was just your overactive imagination after all. Sighing in defeat, you returned to the boys. Nelson pulled the blondie up from his spot on the floor, the pair getting into different poses while beaming happily.

Snapping another pic, you chuckled at their goofy expressions. ''I won't show this to the others without your permission, Lloyd.'' You promised with a wink.

He held out his pinky. ''Promise?"

You wrapped your pinky around his. ''Promise.''

The two played for a bit more until it was time for Nelson to head home. They exchanged a special handshake and Nelson left, while Lloyd waved him goodbye.

''Where to next, Lloyd?" You inquired, glancing over at Lloyd who seemed to be distracted. Following his gaze, you briefly spotted a young girl with full shock-white hair. She disappeared behind a corner, and he returned his attention to you.

''Huh? Oh, right. I know where we'll go next.'' Lloyd spoke with a knowing smirk, his gaze landing on a candy shop.

Heading inside, the shelves were lined with every sort of lolly you could name, and a few you couldn't name sadly enough, the smell of sugar in the air tempting. Lloyd ran through the shop like a dog off the leash, his eyes larger than his stomach in comparison.

He kept returning what he wanted into a candy-cane-themed trolley, filled with every type of sugary sweet the boy managed to discover, when you thought he finished, he left and returned with another load that he dumped into the trolley.

When he was done, the trolley was full to the brim with sugary goodness.

'I'd be sick before I could eat all of that.' Morro grumpily mumbled.

'Oh, cool, a dead person is telling me how to live life.' You retorted. Morro fell silent at that.

Whispers came from behind, so you turned your gaze to them as best as you could, giving them a well-earned glare. They speed-walked out of the shop, silent. Lloyd drooled over the thought of the amount of sugar he would get to consume once he returned to the Bounty.

A weight settled on your shoulders, having slithered out from the backpack you had. Remo scanned over the bounty of sugar Lloyd gathered from the shelves with an uncertain look on his face. ''Are you sure we can pay for all of this?"

You pulled out a discount coupon before Lloyd could panic. Heading over to the counter, you slid it onto the surface, along with some cash. Lloyd and Remo began helping you scan the sweets, though you winced at the price that came up on the register, steadily climbing as each sweet was scanned.

When they were all shoved into bags, Lloyd came forward and carried one over his shoulder like a sack full of presents. You were left with the rest, but you didn't happen to mind, at least you were allowed the opportunity to sneak yourself some of the sweets when the Green Gremlin wasn't watching.

Remo observed in disapproval, shaking his head.

Fortunately for Lloyd, you hadn't eaten too much of his candy for him to care. Though if he happened to find out, you were willing to bet he wouldn't talk to you for about a month.

''Really need to stop eating it, if your legs heal you won't be able to move.'' The little snake told you, tapping your belly.

''Remo! Okay, fine, I'll stop.'' You sighed, watching Lloyd as he skipped ahead.

''I want candy!'' He sang, doing a little dance.

There was still one more thing left for you to do, however, it didn't happen to include Lloyd, which Morro seemed to be happy about. You had to leave the blondie back in the care of Nya, though you changed your clothes just to get out of your dirty ones.

Remo had decided to stay behind even though he disliked the idea. Still, his mood improved when Nya presented a tray of sandwiches for him to pick from.

''What are you even doing?" Nya asked from the other side of the door while you were busy getting ready.

''My boss wanted to meet up with me.'' You grabbed all the blueprints you had prepared previously, putting them inside a folder. ''We decided to go to High Ground ​​Café since it wouldn't be too busy around this time and it's accessible for both of us.''

''I haven't heard of that place, but good luck with the coffee date,'' Nya informed.

''It's not like that, he said it was a casual business meeting.'' You crossly replied. ''Now, you might wanna move, I'm ready.'' The girl moved away from the door, letting you open it. ''I'll be back before sundown, until then, have fun with Lloyd.'' You flashed her a grin, wheeling away.

In a quieter part of town, the streets were calm with few cars driving past. Soft music played from speakers on a balcony above, ivy vines draping its sides like leafy waterfalls. The pavement beneath was interwoven with patches of green moss, though a few dandelions sprung up here and there.

A pair of vibrant green wings fluttered down, the breeze cooling your face while you pinned your gaze on it. Lifting a hand, a green butterfly landed on your fingertip, a smile brightening your face while a warm glow rested within your chest.

It then flew off, leaving you to watch it before it inevitably disappeared.

Heading up the ramp, you entered the small cafe, the lights overhead giving off a cozy glow. Bookshelves lined a few of the walls, and their bookends varied from Sisyphus holding back the books to one where a fake katana looked like it stabbed through a row of books but left them unharmed.

''(Y/n)!'' A voice called from the far end of the cafe, you turned to look, spotting your boss waving at you from his table, sitting in his wheelchair as well. Wheeling over, you were happy to find you didn't need to push aside a chair to make space for yourself.

Your boss was dressed in a formal blue-grey jacket over a black turtleneck sweater, silver-framed glasses sitting on the bridge of his nose while kind dark eyes stared back at you. His ebony hair was mainly combed to one side, with hardly a strand out of place.

''I was wondering when you'd show up.'' He chuckled.

''Knowing you, I would guess you arrived ten minutes early.'' You smirked as your boss scoffed.

''Never before have I been so offended by something I completely agree with.'' He grabbed the menu as the server approached the table. You skimmed over the menu, picking out one that piqued your interest the most. Both of you then gave them your orders and they walked off to prepare them.

Bringing out the folder, you laid it on the table for your boss to see, taking the blueprints out and allowing him to inspect each one. He stared at one in particular for an especially long time.

''Now, this one reminds me of the faulty thermo-coil incident, I'm not sure why though.'' He placed the blueprint back onto the table, smoothening out the creases.

''I'm sure your next invention will be more of a success.'' You assured him, leaning back as the server placed your drinks on the table. Grabbing yours, you sipped at it. ''You tend to learn from your mistakes more often than not.''

''That's true.'' Your boss nodded, going to grab his coffee on impulse but flinching away when his fingers pressed against the still-hot mug. ''Though not this time, I'm afraid.'' He cradled his hurt hand, wincing.

''Wait a few minutes, your coffee will still be there when it's cooled down enough.'' Your boss sighed at your response, deciding to clasp his fingers together while waiting for the coffee to cool.

Both of you waited quietly while your boss' coffee cooled down, with you grabbing a small piece of paper to sketch on while your boss took out a small cube about the size of his palm and began fidgeting with it. The air turned stiff in silence, neither of you having anything to talk about.

Once the steam from the coffee thinned, he took it in his hands and sipped it. When you finished, you looked at your drawing, finding a roughly sketched bone on the paper.

Of all things, why that?

''Hey, uh,'' You had no idea how else to reignite the conversation. ''How was your experience with doctors in the past?"

He perked up, eyes flitting over to you. ''Why you ask?"

It felt harder to down the next sip of your drink, so you let it be. ''Well, I wasn't born with my legs like this, unlike how you were- I don't mean to be rude, my apologies-'' You stammered, hoping he wouldn't take it the wrong way.

Your boss leaned back in his wheelchair in thought. ''I have been privileged to have grown up with the opportunities I had then, without help, I doubt I would've come this far.'' He placed a hand under his chin, briefly looking elsewhere.

The ''doctor'' you had visited you sometime before the monastery burnt down came to mind; his own words of apparent well-thought-out advice brought you so much misery when you heard the news.

Then came the question: couldn't something else be done other than just handing you a wheelchair and not providing further help?

''You alright?" His voice jolted you out of your troubled thoughts.

You considered keeping it quiet but your mouth got the better of you. ''I've been thinking about how a doctor that visited me only advised me to have a wheelchair and did nothing more. Is... is that normal?'

Your boss' eyebrows furrowed. ''Depends, I believe how long you had that injury would be taken into consideration since it would be more difficult to intervene when months have passed versus when it's a fresh injury.''

''I thought there would be more done to help, though.'' You mused. ''Wouldn't that be possible?"

He sighed, thumbing over the various knobs and buttons on the cube's sides, seemingly deep in thought.

''I'm starting to doubt your doctor was actually qualified.'' Your boss frowned, placing the cube in his grasp back into his pocket. ''This sounds a lot like medical malpractice. But I can't be certain of that...''

All the words that you had ready previously were wiped clean. A sharp pain stabbed into your chest, while you stared at the table in silence. The wound you had thought to be closed up tore open with vicious ire while your fingernails dug crescents into your palms, the pain of tightly clenched fists stinging.

From that moment and up to this point, you had been left hopeless, soon settling into being unable to use your legs as how it would be for the rest of your life. You had accepted it as a truth carved in stone, no matter how much you wanted it to be otherwise, it would not change.

You could've been helped.

And yet you weren't.

''(Y/n)?'' Your head snapped towards your boss, your fists unclenching upon seeing a look of worry on his face. The pain in your palms eased, melting away almost entirely. You put your hands on the table, tapping your thumb against the surface.

A glance outside told you that sunset was nearing, the skies tinged with colours of the sun's blazing descent. ''I have to leave.'' You backed up in your wheelchair, suddenly hating the sound it made.

''If you're worried about what happened, I can see about getting you a lawyer.'' He tried to console you but the wheelchair had already brought you to the cafe door.

''Thank you, boss.'' You replied, pausing there, turning your gaze back to him.

He shook his head. ''Please, none of that ''boss'' business, call me Cyrus instead.''

''Thanks, Cyrus.'' It felt weird to say his name. Regardless, a small smile appeared on your face, staring back at Cyrus Borg gratefully. You wheeled out, leaving him to frown, pull out his phone and put it up to his ear.

''Prevention is always better than a cure...'' He mumbled to himself while the phone awaited an answer from the other end.

Lloyd turned to eating his sweets while waiting for your return, growing worried as the colours of the sunset brightened at their peak before beginning to darken. All hope seemed lost until Nya came back below deck with you in tow.

''Lloyd! You can stop eating sugar now that I'm here.'' You told the boy while he settled in bed. He stared up at you, holding the blanket close to his chest. Wrappers crinkled and you held out a hand to take them. The boy gathered them and delivered them to your awaiting palm.

You left to put them in the bin, coming back with the rest of the lights in the ship dimmed and went out.

''Today was good,'' Lloyd mumbled with a smile on his face. You wheeled over, leaning over a bit to pat his head.

''And tomorrow will be a new day.'' You told him.

The young boy sighed happily. ''I hope it holds a lot of candy.''

You properly pulled the blanket over him, ensuring he was fully covered. His eyes closed but you could tell he hadn't fallen asleep yet, a point proven when he opened them again.

''Could you sing for me?" He questioned. You considered it momentarily.

''Alright, but only a short bit.'' You answered.

The boy nodded in response, waiting. You opened your mouth as you began to sing.

''Caterpillar in the tree,''

''How you wonder who you'll be.''

''Can't go far but you can always dream,''

''Wish you may and wish you might,''

''Don't you worry, hold on tight.''

''I promise you there will come a day,''

''Butterfly, fly away.''

Lloyd's eyes closed by the time you had finished singing, the boy snoring gently. You smiled and exited the room, taking extra measures to ensure the wheelchair tyres didn't squeak too loudly against the wooden flooring.

Soon after, everyone on the Destiny's Bounty were asleep, though elsewhere, the boys were stuck as little kids.

Sucked to be them.

The following morning on the Destiny's Bounty, Lloyd read a comic on the deck while you sat near him, drawing. For some reason, you couldn't get any ideas of what to put on the page, not even if you looked at Lloyd's comic for inspiration. You guessed it was because of how yesterday ended.

''Oh, they should be back by now.'' Nya fretted, looking over the railing with Wu by her side, watching the cityscape pass.

''Oh, I fear something horrible has happened to them,'' Wu replied, turning to Lloyd after the boy turned his gaze away, having eavesdropped on the conversation. ''Lloyd,'' The Green Gremlin gasped, the young boy quickly swapping his comic book for a lesson book. ''You and (Y/n) are in charge of the Bounty while Nya and I have a look around town.''

''Uh, yeah. Sure thing.'' Lloyd pretended to read through the book. When his uncle walked away he turned back to the comic book. ''Okay, Fritz Donnegan, looks like it's just gonna be you, me, and the imperial sludge.''

The phone rang while Lloyd played a video game on the console, the boy struggled to answer it while staying on his game before managing to grab the phone but dropped it. He put the phone on speaker to resume his game. ''Destiny's Bounty.''

''Lloyd, it's Jay! Let me talk to Sensei!'' Jay spoke from the other end.

''Jay? Where are you? Why haven't you returned?'' Green Bean questioned. ''Sensei's out looking for you.''

Jay groaned. ''Apparently, you need parental permission to take the bus and we can't seem to get out of the city!''

Lloyd's attention snapped to the phone. ''Uh, what?''

''Oh, never mind, it's a bit complicated. Just meet us at Buddy's Pizza in ten minutes. And bring our weapons.'' Ginja told him.

''Weapons?'' Lloyd leaned too far off the chair, falling off.

You were hit with the strong smell of pizza when you entered with Lloyd beside you, Cole's scythe and Kai's sword in your grasp, yet you wrapped both of them in cloth so taking them around with you was easier. It meant fewer questions from onlookers.

''Really? Of all places we could meet, you pick this place?'' A high-pitched voice asked, irritated.

''What? I like their pizza.'' A second voice, similar in pitch defended.

''Psst, Lloyd, (Y/n).'' A whisper came from a booth. The Green Bean turned to the source while you looked elsewhere.

Lloyd failed to recognise Kai who was now much shorter. ''Beat it, brat. I'm on a mission.'' He went to move again but you placed an arm in front of him so he would stop. You looked closer at the boys, with Cole wearing a purple shirt with stars on it, Zane, a white shirt with light blue sleeves and a 13 featured on the front, Jay, a blue shirt with a butterfly on it...

And Kai, a red hoodie with a few food stains across it.

Lloyd peered closer to inspect them, noticing the same as you did, gasping he dropped his share of the weapons. ''Whoa! What happened? You're, uh, uh, small!''

At his shout, the rest of the people in the restaurant turned to look at you and the group with questioning stares, including the beaver mascot.

''Keep it down. We're trying to lay low.'' The pint-sized ninja whispered to you two, turning his gaze to Lloyd as he spoke normally as he could, though you couldn't help but notice his voice was slightly higher-pitched than the others. ''Your father's Mega Weapon not only turned us into kids but unleashed a creature whose sole purpose is to hunt down ninja.''

''Typical Garmadon,'' Cole added, hitting his small fist against the table. It hardly made any sound.

''And now, every time we try to tell someone,'' Jay began as Lloyd regained his composure to pick up the weapons he dropped. ''they won't believe us, 'cause we're kids.''

In response, Lloyd laughed, the boys staring at him confusedly.

''What's so funny?'' Kai questioned, his voice causing you to break out in a snicker.

''Well, I guess you now know what it feels like to be treated differently.'' The Green Gremlin threw his half of the weapons onto the table. You placed your half onto the table with more care, unwrapping the cloth to show the weapons.

''Look, this is serious. If we don't turn big so that we can use our Spinjitzu, we don't stand a chance against the Grundal.'' Zane informed.

''Well, what about me? I know Spinjitzu.'' Lloyd helpfully suggested.

''Yeah, but you don't know the Grundle,'' Kai replied to Lloyd.

'THE F'ING WHAT?' Morro shouted in your head. You flinched from the unexpected sound, making Jay look at you weirdly.

'What the-'

'ARE THEY SERIOUSLY TALKING ABOUT THAT- OF ALL THINGS?!'

He continued to scream in your head about the Grundal, eventually, his voice became incomprehensible, tiring out and turning silent. Lloyd then lead the group away to where he thought he would be able to find answers.

A fight broke out between the ninja on the way to where Lloyd was leading the group, the soon-to-be-older Green Ninja at the front of the group, eating sweets and intent on getting to the comic book store.

Passerbys turned their eyes to you and the boys, annoyed while they kept arguing with each other. The one you could hear most was Kai, but that was probably because he unfortunately had the highest-pitched voice.

''No, I should sit with (Y/n)!'' They fought like the munchkins they were but all of the squabbling was stopped when Zane simply hopped onto your lap and sat there. The others turned their eyes to him, some with offended looks on their faces.

''Don't waste your words next time, just take action.'' You smirked back at the others.

The currently shorter nindroid looked back at you with a smile. ''Thank you, mx (Y/n).'' You smiled back at the boy.

''No problem, Zane.''

The others grumbled, walking behind Lloyd while Remo revealed his place on your shoulders, smirking while Kai's back was turned.

Where Lloyd ended up taking the group was a comic book store (as he had told you in advance where to find the comic he wanted), a large unlit neon sign with the words 'Ninjago Doomsday Comix' as it was thankfully still day. The door swung open upon Lloyd pushing it, hitting the wall with a thud.

Cole looked around the place, to the shelves lined with comic books and the nerds who browsed through them. ''You brought us to a comic book store?'' He questioned.

''Trust me. If there's anyone who knows how to defeat a monster that doesn't exist, I know just the person to talk to.'' Lloyd explained, walking forward with most of the group in tow while Zane slid off your wheelchair, turning to you with a 'thanks'. You nodded in return and he returned to the others.

Kai tapped his shoulder, stopping the boy from going further. ''We're not coming to pick out your stupid comic, Lloyd! This is serious business.''

''I've already got the comic book I want, thanks to (Y/n).'' The Green Bean pointed out, gesturing to you. ''Though, I didn't bring it.''

Jay picked a comic book from a shelf, gasping at the cover. ''Oh, look. A first edition "Daffy Dale." I used to love that nut growing up.'' The temporarily young Lightning Ninja laughed before soon clearing his throat in embarrassment. ''So juvenile.''

You snatched a copy of the comic to buy later, carrying it with you. Lloyd guided the others forward while you wheeled behind, ending up in front of a register, where a man with a ponytail and beard sat, looking down at the group.

''Fellas, meet Rufus McCallister, AKA Mother Doomsday.'' Lloyd introduced.

''Well, if it isn't Lloyd "Hemorrhoid" Garmadon.'' Rufus greeted the boy. ''Sorry if you came looking for the latest "Starfarer," I'm all sold out.''

''Oh, actually, Mother Doomsday, we need help.'' The Green Bean admitted, having held back a scream.

''Well, colour me intrigued,'' Rufus replied, gazing down at the boy.

''We have a problem. There's a Grundal on the loose and we need to know how to deal with it.'' Lloyd told him, attempting to find an answer.

Misunderstanding what he meant, Rufus replied: ''Oh, a theoretical question.'' He leaned forward.

''Yeah, theoretical. Can you help?'' The Green Bean questioned.

Lowering his seat, he briefly disappeared behind the counter, reappearing when he got off and came out from behind it.

''Dromaeosaurid Theropod Grundalicus. Phew! Although extinct, there has been a plethora of films, television and comics exploring the mythology around the primordial predator.'' Rufus grabbed a nearby comic to show the Grundle on its cover. ''Supposedly, they always get their prey.''

''Sounds like he knows his stuff,'' Kai whispered while looking at the others.

Lloyd shoved past Zane and Kai. ''Can it be stopped?''

''First thing you need to know is its thick shell-like hide is invincible to swords, scythes, nunchucks, and throwing stars. So your cheap imitations will do nothing to slow him down.'' Rufus advised.

''Swell.'' Cole's shoulders slouched a bit.

''Second of all, it's nocturnal and will only hunt at night,'' Rufus added.

''Oh, good. It's still daylight, so we can relax for a bit.'' Jay pointed outside as the others followed his gaze, though Rufus stared at him suspiciously before Kai cleared his throat. ''Uh, I meant theoretically.''

As the conversation continued, it grew harder for you to concentrate. Spacing out, especially at a time like this wasn't favourable, yet it still happened despite your best wishes.

'You spaced out, why?' Morro questioned, snapping you out of it temporarily.

'To tell you the truth, my mind's not always in this world.' You answered him.

'Well, someone better go find your brain and then maybe you'll stop doing that. Like the idiot you-' You blocked the rest of his words out after that, sighing. You weren't going to take that kind of attitude from him.

Lloyd and a Fritz Donnegan fan stood opposite each other, a crowd gathered before them.

''It's down to the final two. This question is for Lloyd.'' Rufus pointed to the boy.

''Lloyd! Lloyd! Lloyd!'' The crowd chanted, with you joining in to encourage him too.

''What is Fritz Donogan's famous catchphrase?'' Rufus questioned.

" ''Fair? Fair is not a word from where I come from!" '' Lloyd answered with a confident smirk.

''Correct! We're all tied up.'' Rufus turned to the crowd. You caught Lloyd showing a smug grin to the Donnegan fan. While the crowd cheered, Zane looked out the window, noticing it was dark.

''It's getting dark. The Grundal will be on the prowl soon.'' Zane told Cole.

''Don't worry. I got faith Lloyd can win those Illuma-Swords.'' Kai replied, though he soon heard slurping. Turning to Jay, he found the culprit, who was eating cotton candy. ''Is this the best time to be eating cotton candy?''

''It makes me feel young. Deal with it.'' Jay retorted.

''Final question. The first person to answer this will win.'' Rufus faced the competitors. ''In the latest issue of "Starfarer," how did Fritz Donogan escape the imperial sludge?''

Lloyd struggled to find the answer. ''But I haven't finished the latest issue.''

''By reversing the polarity of the ship's gravity transducer.'' The fan answered.

''We have a winner!'' Rufus announced, throwing his hands into the air.

Lloyd noticed the other ninja were disappointed while the rest of the crowd cheered. Though this moment of victory was cut short as the lights overhead shook, the power cutting out and plunging the store into the gloomy darkness.

''Who shut off the power?'' Rufus questioned, staring up at what would've been the lights. Everyone else looked up as the neon sign sparked and fell off the roof, crashing.

''It's here.'' Kai fearfully announced.

''What's here?'' Rufus asked, clearly confused.

''You know that theoretical discussion we had earlier?'' Jay inquired, chuckling.

''Not so theoretical now, is it...?'' You stared up at the glass roof, a scaly head appearing.

''Not the...'' Rufus' eyes landed on the reanimated prehistoric beast. It stepped on the glass, cracking it before its eyes snapped down to the group. ''Grundal!''

Kids screamed in fright, tearing across the floor to escape the store with you wheeling behind them, though it was fruitless as it had been blocked by the fallen sign. ''The door is jammed, we can't get out!'' Zane panicked, looking up as the Grundle moved along the roof.

''Look! It's coming!'' Jay shouted.

One of its claws broke a glass panel, the rest of the roof following as it collapsed under the beast's weight, landing in the store.

''We're doomed!'' Jaybird screamed like the little kid he was.

''Doomed as Britts Subskian in Phoenix War page 15.'' Rufus quoted.

The Grundle swung its tail at Rufus and the kids gathered with him, making them dodge whilst screaming. While it looked at them, its tail broke the glass on the display case containing the ninja's ZX gis.

''Quick! This way!'' Jay urged, making the group head down a nearby section as the Grundle turned to face where the ninja originally were. Grabbing their gis and the Illumiswords, the replica weapons glowed once taken out. Zane threw you a spare one in case, luckily you caught it.

''Hey, McNasty, I thought ninja were on your menu!'' Cole shouted to gain the Grundle's attention, holding up his bright Illumisword.

The beast faced the ninja, who were wearing their gis and holding the Illumiswords. Waving them in front of the Grundle, it backed away.

''It's working!'' Jay shouted as the ninja moved forward, waving their Illumiswords. All seemed great until Jay leapt at it, striking it with the replica, the Illumisword immediately crumpling with its light dimming upon impact. Porcupine attempted the same, ending in the same results.

''Stupid toy.'' Cole bashed the Grundle with it in the leg. Nothing.

Jumping onto the beast with his Illumisword in hand, he hit the beast with it, again it broke and dimmed.

''Uh oh!'' Zane landed back with the others.

''Oh. We got a problem, guys.'' Jay told the others. The Grundle raised its claw to knock them to the side, though a thunk made it stop in its tracks. It turned its head, eyes landing on the now broken Illumisword and then up to your terrified face.

Now, this was stupidity. You had no chance, messing with a grundle. But no, you had to play with fire, and this was the getting burnt part. No will, no last words, just your life gone in the blink of an eye.

Heavy steps thudded in time with your racing heartbeat, in seconds, the beast towered above you, the next, all you knew was darkness. Stinky darkness, that surrounded you like a coffin.

Sparks flickered in the darkness, coming from your hand. Holding your breath, you aimed up, firing with all the power you could muster. The beast howled, spitting you out onto the floor where you lay in a crumpled mess, shuddering.

With your clothes torn and definitely not dry, you looked to the skies and nowhere else.

'I never want to experience that again.' You thought, lying on the floor.

'Neither do I.' Morro quietly agreed. At least both of you shared the same opinion on that.

Returning its attention to its targets, the Grundle approached, growling as the ninja screamed.

Lloyd appeared, rising in the seat behind the counter. ''Not to worry, I'll take care of this.''

''Lloyd!'' The ninja shouted in relief for their soon-to-be-older Green Saviour.

Summoning a ball of shining green Energy, Lloyd prepared to blast it at the Grundle as it backed away. The others cheered, but the Grundle whipped around, using its tail to knock him behind the counter.

The Grundle bared its sharp fangs, saliva dripping from them as it advanced. The front door was kicked open, with Nya standing behind it, with Wu behind her.

''Everyone out!'' Nya shouted to the crowd, the kids minus Rufus running out, while you were just out of sight behind a shelf.

Wu held up a jar of tea. ''Use this!'' He threw it to the ninja, Jay catching it.

''What is it?'' Jay questioned.

''It'll turn forward the hands of time, turning you old and reducing the Grundle back to dust and bones,'' Wu told the ninja, who leapt onto the fallen register. ''But be careful, there's no turning back!''

Jay held the Tomorrow's Tea up. ''Grundle, prepare to be extinct!''

Cole held an arm in front of him. ''No, wait.'' He pointed his still-glowing Illumisword at the Grundle. ''What will happen to Lloyd?'' He asked, making them look at the boy. ''He'll grow old, too.''

''Just do it,'' Lloyd told him.

''You'll miss out on the rest of your childhood, dude,'' Jay replied.

''We can't do that to you. It's not fair!'' Kai added.

The Grundle swiped at the remaining Illumisword in Cole's grip, knocking it out of his grasp.

''Oh, no!'' He said, staring at the beast. The Grundle chomped at them, the ninja falling back as the Tomorrow's Tea jar landed on Lloyd.

"Fair? Fair isn't a word from where I come from." Lloyd got up, throwing the tea jar at the Grundle.

''He used it!'' Wu exclaimed. You lifted your head, eyes widening as the beast spun, its skin dissolving while paper flew around.

''And it's working!'' Nya shouted.

From dust, it came, and dust it returned, the Grundle once again was a skeleton, falling apart when the tea stopped working. The ninja removed their gi hoods, finding themselves at their original ages.

''What happened? We're not kids anymore.'' Cole spoke normally in his voice, no longer a kid.

''It worked!'' Nya shouted. You tried getting up, seeing your wheelchair near you but you felt too weak to get to it.

Rufus was surprised to find the real ninja in his store. ''They are the real ninja.''

Wu gasped. ''But what about Lloyd?'' He asked, everyone else wearing concerned looks on their faces.

The now older Green Saviour stood up, his blond hair tousled with two bumps in it, now as old as the other ninja, and when he spoke, his voice was deeper.

''I'm...older.'' He stared at himself, then elsewhere as he moved away from the others, snapping the ninja out of their shocked states. Almost tripping, he looked down as he met your gaze.

''Lloyd-'' You almost couldn't believe your eyes. You opened your arms for a hug and he hugged you back, letting a wistful smile appear on his face.

''Thank you. For everything.'' He whispered gratefully. Your heart warmed at his words, smiling. Letting you go, he grabbed the wheelchair, allowing you to get onto it.

Wu and some very relieved ninja had their eyes on you. ''The time for the Green Ninja to face his destiny has grown nearer.''

You went to his side as the others did the same, Cole patting his back reassuringly.

''I'm ready.'' The Green Ninja told his uncle after looking at the people by his side.

Most of the group left, though Lloyd was held back by Mother Doomsday/Rufus, to give him a comic book. He lowered it, reassuring Mother Doomsday before rejoining the others.

Laying on the deck of the Destiny's Bounty at night was a wonderful experience. The whole expanse of stars at your fingertips, each dot connected to another to form constellations that spanned the dark skies, with no moon in sight. Remo lay beside you, his eyes reflecting their light.

''Each star is special, and shines in its way,'' Remo told you. Leaning over slightly, you smoothed down his scales.

''Wise little Remo.'' You replied with a smile, the little snake giving off a happy puff of air. Hearing another's footsteps approach, you sat up, looking to its source, spotting Zane distracted by the night sky before he noticed you.

Walking over, he sat down next to you and stared up at the starry sky once more.

''Beautiful night, it is.'' You mused, watching a shooting star pass by.

''Not as beautiful as you,'' Zane whispered. You looked at him in surprise, stunned into silence by his response.

''...Cha-cha real smooth.'' You mumbled. The nindroid blinked owlishly while you cleared your throat. ''You think I'm beautiful?''

''I shouldn't have said anything,'' Zane shamefully looked away.

''Zane.'' You spoke to grab his attention which worked, making him turn his face towards you. ''It's great to be able to talk to someone who is caring, kind and honest.''

''You think I have those qualities?'' He questioned. You nodded.

''Yes, I'm just surprised no one else has noticed that until now.'' You told him, grabbing your wheelchair and rubbing your eyes.

''Are you going to sleep?'' Zane asked.

''Yep, I'm pretty tired, believe it or not.'' You brought yourself up into the wheelchair. Laying on the deck, still, Remo yawned, tired as well. ''Remo, don't, yawns are contagious.''

Hugging Zane goodnight, you headed back to your room, sliding out of the wheelchair and onto the bed, tossing the blanket onto yourself. Remo found his place near where he slept, curling up and going to sleep when you did.

While this had been happening, Zane stood on the deck, a blush showing on his face before he went to bed himself.

8401 words (excl. Author's note)

^ Bet I can beat that.

Grammarly, though? 181 premium suggestions, gee.

Let's just say the next chapter, it'll be one for the Orange Ninja :)

​​Don't forget to vote, go wild with your comments and share this story if you love it. ♥️

Without further ado,

See ya, Bookworms.

WriterAgreste, over & out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 65 9
THIS STORY IS DISCONTINUED, I am currently writing a new one and am leaving this one open for anyone who wants to read it! "Being transported into th...
32.2K 588 22
**CURRENTLY EDITING** jay has been watching over (y/n) for a while, i guess you could say he was stalking her..following her. (y/n) didn't have anywh...
6.8K 192 15
The Smith siblings, Kai and Nya, together with their little foster brother, Lloyd, try to survive their difficult life with their abusive foster pare...
27.1K 988 87
(Tw- Language) •♡"I'm glad I met you." "I'm glad too... And remember... I will always love you. No matter what happens."♡• ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡...