Drowning In Desire ***COMPLE...

By TracyRichards87

He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15

Chapter 14

4.8K 251 7
By TracyRichards87

"How dare you!" Anna screamed.

"Mother, please." Matthew moved between them shielding Abigail from his mother's sight.

"She refuses you? A Duke! This...this impertinent child!" She pointed at Matthew the sign of her anger was the hives creeping up her chest. Nostrils flaring she took as step towards them.

"I will not force her to marry me." He knew her anger would not be dismissed easily, but he didn't want to upset Abigail anymore than she already was. This was a subject to discuss in private without his mother and her new found father listening.

"You will." Anna moved closer to Matthew pushing her finger in his face.

Matthew grabbed her wrist bending low into her face. "I will do as I wish." He growled through clenched teeth.

The room fell silent as Matthew and Anna glared at each other. Neither one backing down. Abigail's sobs broke the tension. George cleared his throat making them all aware that he was still watching them. Matthew instantly let go of his mother's arm. She stepped away from him rubbing where he grabbed her s though he had hurt her. Her cheeks were flushed from embarrassment that the Baron had witnessed their altercation.

"The Duke has made his decision. I will not be the one to fight him in the matter." He settled deeper into the bed. "If we are done then I would like a word with my daughter." He waved his hand dismissing them from his room.

Anna nodded and with a stiff back made her way towards the door. Pausing at the door she noticed Matthew unmoving from his position next to Abigail. He was looking down at her with such longing that it caught Anna off guard. She remembered that look from his father. How much they had loved one another that it broke her when he passed making her a hateful bitter person. If he truly loves this girl then why is he refusing her. She watched as he leaned down and whispered something to the girl. He received a nod and a slight smile from her before he moved away. The look in his eyes had changed by the time he passed her in the doorway. They were clouded with sadness. She now understood. He loved her but she didn't love him. Well she thought, only time would tell what his future holds.

. . .

The door to George Septhon's bedchamber closed sealing Abigail alone with her father. Father. The thought made her head pound. She watched him as he looked her over for what seemed like the first time. She waited unsure of what to do or say. Her arms instinctively covered her chest. He motioned towards the chair beside the bed. Reluctantly she walked over and sat down placing her hands in her lap she stared at her nails.

George cleared his throat, bursting out in a fit of coughs that raked his body. Abigail handed him a glass of water that was on his bedside table. He graciously accepted bringing the cool glass to his chapped lips. Abigail watched him closely now that he wasn't focused on her.

He looked considerably sicker than he did from across the room. She had a hard time picturing this man as her father. Unsure of what to say she remained quiet taking the glass from him she placed it back on the table.

"I am sorry."

She looked at his drooping eyes and relaxed features and knew he wouldn't be awake much longer. The events of the day draining him. He didn't wait for a reply before continuing.

"Can you read and write?"

Abigail nodded.

"Good, I will send for your items at Weldrick Hall. I assume that is where you have been staying." His eyes boring into hers willing her to deny the claim. She didn't so he moved on.

"I will have Andrew arrange for a tutor of sorts to teach you how to conduct yourself and act accordingly for your new station. We will need to hurry for the season. I would like you to marry before I go."

Abigail balked at the idea, well really everything he just said upset her. Leaving Kentmoor behind for London, learning how to be a proper lady and find a suitable husband before her newly found father dies. This was too much. She had to set him straight.
"I can not leave Weldrick Hall. I have siblings to take care of."

"Siblings?"

She explained their situation that had lead them to become residents at Weldrick Hall leaving out the part between Matthew and herself of course.

"How will I be able to leave them. I just couldn't." Her voice broke and tears glistened in her eyes. She leaned back in the chair willing herself not to cry.

"Do not worry, my dear. They may live here with you."

Abigail flung herself from the chair and hugged him tight. Tears soaked his nightshirt but she didn't care. She thanked him repeatedly though her sobs.

. . .

The weeks passed in a flurry of activity for Abigail that she had almost no time to think of Matthew since their families tried to force marriage between them. When she did find herself daydreaming of him she would be melancholy and end up hiding in her room longing for something that would never come to pass. She wanted to say yes, she could have but she wanted him to love her and not resent her for trapping him into marriage to someone he doesn't love.

It hurt more than ever not knowing what he was doing since that fateful day. The last time they spoke was when he leaned down and whispered "You will be okay" into her ear. The memory warmed her insides but caused an ache in her heart.

Her bedroom door burst open as Edith rushed into the room carrying the most beautiful gown of bright blue silk covered in matching blue lace. Edith hung the gown on the inside door of the wardrobe before turning towards Abigail. She stopped dead at the looks of her.

"Oh dear, you been thinking of him again?"

"No." She lied, turning away from her maid so she couldn't see her rosy cheeks. She wasn't sure if it was from the thought of him or being caught daydreaming again.

Edith clicked her tongue. She knew better but she had said her peace on the matter weeks ago. If she would have confessed her feelings before the whole kidnapping she could be married and living happily in Weldrick Hall and not pining for a lost love.

"Miss Abby, we must hurry your chaperone will be here within the hour."

Abigail's head snapped back around. "Chaperone? I thought George, I mean my father, would accompany me."

"He may be regaining his strength but he still has a long way to go before he can attend a ball." He has an acquaintance that has agreed to take you. Now quit stalling and get undressed." Edith rushed her and started pulling at her strays.

At the end of the hour Abigail once again was amazed at the transformation that Edith pulled off. Her hair was pulled back in a loose pompadour style with soft ringlets framing her face. The softness made her look angelic. Blue sapphires lined her throat complementing the dress perfectly. The fabric shimmered in the light as she stared in awe at herself. The delicate lace at the bodice covered just enough to feel comfortable but low enough to be in fashion. The capped sleeves puffed out just enough and the yellow jewel at her waist made the dress at little whimsical.

"My how beautiful you look." Edith said admiring her work.

Abigail blushed. "I sure hope so or we both wasted an hour of our life for naught." The look that Edith gave her made her giggle. "It is only a dance after all." She fluttered the fan that hung on her wrist. She had just learned this week of the art of the fan and found it rather ridiculous. Neither the less it was part of it all that she had to endure.

"Just a dance! It is so much more. It's your coming out into society as the Baron's daughter. You must be your very best tonight. Now hurry along. We don't want to keep Lord Bennett waiting. She nearly pushed Abigail out the door and into the hall.

"Lord Bennett?"

"Yes, he so graciously agreed to chaperone you tonight." Abigail's heart raced at the thought that Matthew could be waiting for her downstairs that she rushed to the stairs but slowed before she descended them. She could hear Edith's laughter as she descended in a much more ladylike manner.

Stefan had his back to her at the base of the stairs. He was talking with Andrew in hushed tones before Andrew caught a glimpse of her and broke into the biggest grin she had ever seen on the old man's face. Stefan turned and gave a low whistle as she took the last steps to the landing. His reaction was lost on Abigail as she looked past both of them on either side. Her smile faltered as she noticed that Matthew wasn't with Stefan.

She reached out for her hand and she gave it over reluctantly knowing that he would kiss it. He did. She forced a smile of pleasure to see him.

"Lady Septhon, you are most stunning tonight." Stefan gave her the most devilish smirk, knowing full well that she wasn't into him but a man can dream. He leaned closer to her so Andrew couldn't hear, masking his action as getting closer to grab her elbow to steer her towards the door. He whispered close to her ear.

"He isn't here."

Abigail narrowed her eyes at him. His eyes sparked back at her. He was enjoying this. The thought annoyed her, well he will be dreading it for the rest of the night. She refused to dignify him by replying. She would leave at least one dance open for him tonight where she could tread upon him and enjoy every moment. Now that's something to look forward too.

"Please call me Abby." She smiled sweetly up at him, batting her eyelashes.

"As you wish , my dear." He patted her hand that was now in the crook of his arm and winked at her.

Abigail rolled her eyes. It was definitely going to be a long night.

. . .

The ball was taking place at the Carrington's townhouse. Which she had learned were one of the most prestigious families of the current monarch. It was of the utmost importance that she conducted herself accordingly tonight. This was her first social gathering as the Baron's long lost daughter and anything she did would reflect poorly upon the Septhon name. No pressure.

The mansion that they called a townhouse came into view and Abigail began to sweat. Grateful to have the fan upon her wrist, she started to fan herself moving her arms out like a ranged chicken on a hot summer day.  

"Nervous?" Stefan was giving her a quizzical look as he watched her fan her underarms. He slyly covered his mouth to keep from laughing at her but knew that wouldn't help her nerves right now.

Abigail instantly stopped. How had she forgotten he was in the coach with her. 

"No." She snapped at him.  Stefan raised his eyebrow at her. "Well of course I am nervous. You would be too if you were in the same situation I am in." She crossed her arms looking away from him she stared out of the window. She could see the line of other coach's waiting to let their passengers out for the ball. Soon it would their turn. Her stomach churned.

"I'm nervous too." He looked so serious, even quite sad actually, as though all the joy was sucked from his eyes.

The coach pulled to a stop in front of the Carrington's residence. She didn't care because she needed to know what was making the most outgoing man she knew nervous.

"Why?" She blurted out as the door opened. Stefan let himself out without acknowledging that she said anything and helped her out. She took his hand and stepped down only to have Stefan lean in relatively too close to her neck. She could feel the heat from his voice when he whispered.

"I'm nervous you will make me look a fool for falling in love with you."

She knew it was rude by laughing hysterically at Stefan but that was such rubbish. He didn't look wounded by her laughter he was quite the opposite really, he was smiling at her as they walked up the steps to the Carrington's threshold to be announced. Somehow Stefan had made her nerves disappear and for that she was grateful. It changed nothing of her plan to stomp all over his feet on the dance floor though. Her smile widened. She just might have fun tonight.

Stefan lead her to group after group of people introducing her to so many people that her head was spinning. How was she to remember all these people and what title they held. It was too much she needed a break. Stefan graciously made excuses for them and pulled her towards the back of the large ballroom to a secluded corner. He left her to fetch them both a refreshment promising to return posthaste.

It was that moment when she noticed Clara and Anabella  heading in her direction. Abigail looked around to see if she could make a hasty escape but they were upon her before she could decide what to do.

"Oh, Abigail you do look so stunning. Blue is definitely your color." Clara gushed, fluttering her fan in front of her. "Wouldn't you agree, Bell?"

Where Clara was bubbly and bright Anabella was the total opposite she exuded hostility towards her. Anabella didn't pay Clara a bit of attention but instead spoke directly to Abigail.

"What did you do to Matthew?" Her voice was hushed so that only they could hear but it sliced through Abigail like a knife.

"I." Abigail faltered, what could she say to his sisters to make them understand the situation. Nothing. They were family and nothing she could say would change their opinion of her. "I've done nothing to Matthew."

"Well he isn't the same since he came home." Anabella sneered.

Neither was she but they didn't need to know that. Thankfully she was saved by Stefan returning with their drinks. He handed Abigails to her before addressing the sisters. She gladly sipped the drink hoping to keep from responding to Anabella.

"Did you ladies leave me a slot on your dance cards?"

Both girls attention was now on Stefan as Clara blushed fumbling with her card. Anabella shrugged and showed him her full dance card. He looked over the sisters at Abigail and she mouthed Thank you to him just as the orchestra was striking up the first cords of the waltz. Stefan held out his hand between the sisters towards Abigail.

"Excuse me ladies, our first dance awaits." The look he gave Abigail could have melted her clothes right off her body if she wasn't in love with his best friend.   It had no effect on her other than to annoy her more.  She sweetly smiled back at him and placed her hand in his. She pushed past both girls glad to have an excuse to remove herself from their presence.  

That was until Matthew stood between them and the dance floor.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 372 30
If you've been waiting for Garrett's and Frederica's story, here it is! Garrett has given up pining for his sister's best friend. He has political am...
Alexandra By Tori

Historical Fiction

340K 15.8K 25
*Book 3 in the Regency Series- can be read as a standalone.* Alexandra Whitlock grew up to be a romantic. However, upon her release into society at...
An Earnest Favour By Laura

Historical Fiction

1M 72.4K 38
Abandoned by the man she thought loved her, Claire Denham is left with very few options as she faces the prospect of being disgraced for falling preg...
2.7M 91.8K 23
When the arrogant stranger Bess is forced to marry unexpectedly becomes a duke, she'll find herself at odds with her growing feelings as he hunts for...