Another Man's Treasure

By Mechalen

"You've become so damaged that when someone tries to give you what you deserve, you have no idea how to respo... More

Another Man's Treasure
Prologue
1. Flameless Lost Love
2. Why Did I Do That?
3. Bottoms Down
4. Time Is Money
5. In My Dreams
6. Beautiful Crybaby
7. Creatively Insane
8. Lost Keys
10. The Heart-shaped Necklace
11. Pinky Swear
12. Wishing Well
13. The Beginning Of Nicholas Lane's Story
14. Are You Two Dating?
15. Sweet, Apologetic & Forgiving
16. Visits
17. A Chance
18. The Funeral
19. By Your Side
20. Have A Choice
21. Love And Honesty
22. Right By Your Side
23. We All Make Mistakes
24. Perfectly Fine
25. Perfectly Fine, Part II
26. Acceptance
27. Hooked And Partially Crazy
28. Perfectly Fine, Part III
29. Responsible For My Own Happiness
30. A Whole New World
31. Will You Marry Me?
32. Better Version
33. Beginning Of The End For Nicholas Lane's Story
34. Beautiful Chaos
35. Follow My Lead
36. So Incredibly Sweet

9. My Best friend, My Safe place, My Euphoria

207 4 0
By Mechalen

__

* **Flashback** *

As Madison laid her head on Christian's chest, he slowly wrapped his arms around her. His steady heart beat was music to her ears.

She looked up to him showing him the smile on her face as the music softly played in the background of his bedroom. Their bodies pressed up together as they gracefully swayed to the sweet melody.

𝑺𝒐 𝒍𝒆𝒕'𝒔 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒃𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒚
𝑳𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒐𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒐𝒘 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕𝒔 𝒘𝒂𝒚
𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒑𝒂𝒈𝒆
𝑾𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒅𝒐𝒘𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒎𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒕 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕

Madison looked up at her boyfriend she's been with for a year, singing softly as the song continued. "𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒕'𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍? 𝑨 𝒏𝒆𝒘 𝒅𝒂𝒚 𝒅𝒂𝒘𝒏𝒔 𝒘𝒆 𝒈𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆."

The loving smile on Christian's lips warmed her heart and so she reached up to give him a peck. "I love you."
She whispered against his lips.

𝑫𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒊𝒕'𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍
𝑵𝒐𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒈𝒆𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒐 𝒊𝒕 𝒂𝒍𝒍

He took her hand in his and gave it a kiss. "Oh Madison, I love you more."
Christian spinned her around making her stare out of the window. He embraced her from the back with his head on her shoulder. "I can't get enough of you." He said calmly breathing in her vanilla scent.

For the past year everything has been amazing with Christian, and Madison knew deep in her heart that she loved him very much just as he loves her.
He was better than she even imagined. He was her best friend, her safe place, her euphoria.

"I want to go home." Madison whispered as if it were only meant for her ears but Christian heard.

He frowned looking down at her. "Is something wrong? Did I say something-"

"No silly." She laughed. "Look at the snow, it reminds me of home."

The drizzling white snow that fell outside by the window brought a sweet sense of nostalgia to Madison. It reminded her of when things were still good, and she missed it.

"You want to go back to Toronto?" Chris asked but Madison stood still for a second.

She turned around to face him again reaching up to move her hair out of her face. "I-i just miss my dad." She breathed out. "As lame as it may sound, when I was younger we'd build a snowman and make maple snow candy, and sing those annoying Christmas corals but we absolutely loved it. When I was around him I was the happiest, my mom was too."

Christian reached up and softly cupped her cheek. "I don't think that's lame at all, Maddie." He smiled down at her. "But tell me what is maple snow candy?"

The confused look on his face made Madison laugh. "You're such a New Yorker, baby."

"That's not true."

"Say ya?" Madison scoffed putting her arms around his neck. "But it's alright. I knew what I was getting myself into when we started dating."

"Do you think your dad would've liked me?"

"Do you want me to tell you the truth?"
She gave him a sad smile.

Christian gave her a certain look, begging her to say the truth. "I think I would've been able to change his mind, if that's what you're asking." She said.

A laugh escaped from him. "I know he's looking down on you and is protecting you, and if I had gotten the chance to meet him I would've begged him to let me be with you. I would've made it clear that I would love you and take you as you are. And if he still didn't approve of me I'd express my love for you again, and again, and again."

Madison leaned into his touch feeling her heart explode from happiness. "Did you mean what you said last time? You really want to marry me?"

"Yes, I really want to. We don't need to make any hasty decision right now. There's big things coming for the both of us since we're graduating. So, there's plenty of time and of course it all depends on you."

Madison nodded. "Right." She didn't want to think of anything right now. She just wanted to be in the moment with him. She loved him but she felt like Christian was moving too fast and didn't know how to keep up. Would've her father approved of this? 

"Put on Britney Spears now."

He laughed as his blue eyes lit up. "Okay, my love."

He stepped away from her mumbling "It's Britney Bitch." as he changed the song. A laugh escaped from her when he lightly threw her on his bed, him towering over her. "I see you..."

___

Madison~~

The dark circles under my eyes is a clear representation of how much trouble sleeping I had last night. Don't get me wrong, Nathan's bed was super comfortable but I was just so anxious to even close my eyes without thinking about my mother. The tears I shed in the shower this morning has worn me out.

   The person I see in the mirror disgusts me. She's pathetic, angry and beats herself up for the littlest things, but I also know she's tired, so exhausted of everything.
The lies, the times wasted, the negative thoughts. She's tired of it all.

Next to the sink, in the corner is a laundry basket and in I throw Nathan's sweats and t-shirt he gave me last night which was very nice of him to do, because sleeping in tight jeans wouldn't have been fun.

  After I get changed into my clothes from yesterday I walk on out of his room and down the hall.
Along the walls I see some modern art, trophies and some portraits that I would assume is of him and his wealthy family.

     The pair of black vans I have on squeaks against the marbled tiled floor as I make my way down. Nathan told me earlier this morning that I should at least stay for breakfast this time, I was hesitant at first but then I realized I haven't eaten anything yesterday and that I'm hungry as a fox.

I can't get over how crisp and clean his penthouse is. It's very minimalistic and modern looking, the black furniture definitely describes him but the different wall tones compliments everything so well. The black piano with silver lining will immediately catch your eye as it is in the center of the house as you come down the stairs.
  Is it just there to look pretty or can he actually play it? Who knows.

I hear the jiggling of dishes coming from my left and once I look behind the stairs I see Nathan sitting down at the table wearing some slacks and a hoodie and that woman once again.

Nathan looks up, he must've heard me coming. "Look who finally decided to show up."

Was my depressing episode really that long in the shower?

    I force a smile on my face as I make my way up to them.

"We've been waiting for you, Miss Madison." Says the woman. I look at her wide-eyed, no one has ever addressed me like that before. The elderly woman cracks a smile and reaches out her hand. "My apologies for not introducing myself before. I'm Lidith, dear."

   I take her hand in mine and grace a genuine smile on my lips. "Nice to meet you." She seems like a very kind person.

Lidith then tells me to take a seat and I do, across from Nathan. She walks out and now it's just us alone.
I nervously start chewing on my plate of food she prepared for me before she left.

Nathan doesn't say anything, his concentration is on his phone and at the same time he takes a sip of his coffee.
"How are you feeling today?" His grey eyes look up and meets mine.

Talk about a multitasking pro.

   I clear my throat, preparing my voice to not come out so harsh. "I'm fine." Yeah, not harsh at all.

He nods turning back down to look at his phone. "Do you remember what you told me last month, in the bar?"

    I look down at my plate trying to think of the stupid mistake I did that night. I shake my head. "I was drunk." I take a sip from my orange juice. "What did I say?"

"You said that you were married and went through a divorce. Is that true or was that the alcohol talking?" Nathan says still looking down on his phone.

I said that?

What is he trying to prove by asking me this?

  I frown. "That is not your business."

He eyes me, smirking. "Thanks for answering my question." I scoff, not believing this man. "So what was it? Infidelity? Or not enough love?"

Love.

   "I've heard some things about you too, Nathan Lane." I cross my arms. "Weren't you engaged? What happened? Infidelity?" I say mockingly. It's hard to miss a article when he's on the front cover.

His whole life is displayed for everyone to see and that's kind of sad.
But I wanted to know more of this man that I spent a night with.

Out of the blue my phone starts ringing in my pocket, so I take it out to see who it is. It's Christian, so I obviously decline.

Nathan's face falls flat. "I already told you but you won't remember     because-"

   I chuckle. "I was drunk. You must've really loved her."

He let's out a scoff followed by a laugh.

Before I can respond to Nathan I hear the front door open and footsteps approaching.
"Sorry I'm late!" I hear a manly voice. "Where are you man?"

"In the dining room." Nathan responds still holding the strong eye contact with me.

"Traffic is so bad this mor-" The man enters the room and suddenly stops talking when he sees me sitting opposite Nathan. He's wearing a dark grey suit, he's brown hair styled perfectly. He looked very sophisticated with a briefcase in his hand.
Today is Saturday, where exactly is he going? Anyway...
He turns to Nathan. "I'm sorry, I didn't know you had a guest."

"No, it's fine." Nathan faces to me. "This is Sebastian. My PA and good friend. Seb, Madison." He introduces us.

Just Madison.

Sebastian eyes me from top to bottom, extending his hand. "He doesn't want to admit it but we're actually best friends." He whispers causing me to chuckle.

   Taking his hand I say. "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Sebastian says then turns to Nathan giving him a bewildering look.

I wonder what that is all about...

  They talk for a while about some business stuff and once I was done with my food I stand up, alerting them. "I need to make a phone call." I smile excusing myself from the table.

Nathan~~

The look Seb is giving me makes me feel a bit uneasy. I just know after this he's going to ask me a ton of questions.

   "Don't give me that look."

He continues to mockingly smile at me. He sits up in his seat, whispering. "She's even more beautiful than I remember from last month." He pokes my arm. "Look at you, believing in love for once. They grow up so fast." He fake sobs.

   I narrow my eyes at him. "Will you stop that?"

"This is no coincidence, you know? How ever you two met up again is a reflection of true love. It must be fate."

   I scoff. "Didn't know my best friend could be a player and a hopeless romantic." I stand up from my seat and help Lidith take in the rest of the dishes on the table.
As I come out of the kitchen I see Madison on a call standing by the window in the living room.

"Are you being serious? She's awake?" A beautiful wide smile spreads on her face, showing her dimples. A hand lands on her chest in relief. "Thank you so much for telling me. I'm on my way."

I watch her end the call and turn to her side, seeing me. "Oh, uhh- my mom's awake so I need to go right now."

    I nod, giving her a small smile. "That's great to hear. And what about your key?"

Madison steps closer to me. "I already called my landlord, everything is sorted."
I don't say anything and just look at her but my uncomfortable gaze makes her look down. "I don't know how to thank you enough for yesterday. You were like an angel." She says the last part chuckling.

     I scratch the back of my head for some reason, shaking my head. "No, I can be a jerk sometimes. So if I acted like one, my apologies."

Madison looks down once again smiling. "You're just a little bit rough around the edges." She looks up quickly, like she realized what she just said. "Right. I need to get going, so I guess this is goodbye? For good?"

    My eyes go big, I'm abit disappointed but then again maybe we should just say goodbye. We don't know each other. "You need a ride? Taxi's are crazy on weekends." I say chuckling.

"No, it's okay." She begins walking to the front door and I follow her. I hear Sebastian behind me.
After I open the door for her she turns around saying goodbye to Seb and I, and then finally enters my private elevator.

"You need a ride?" I hear Seb say mockingly and begins laughing at his own hilarious self. "You're trying to hard Nay-nay."

I walk back into the living room, searching for the briefcase he brought.

    "Don't ever call me that. And who said I'm trying something? It's called being kind. Can't a man be kind to a woman without people trying to think I'm hitting on her or something?"

He surrenders his hands in the air.  "Coldie have a heart huh? Hey I'm sorry man, I just thought that maybe you'd put yourself out there again after Amelia, and you know? The company is kinda at stake?"

    "The company is fine. And if anyone tries forcing something on me they'll regret it. I don't like being like this, you know? So uptight and cold. That's not me but people still see me that way. There's just alot of things that doesn't interest me."

The room falls quiet, the only thing that can be heard is the shuffling of files I adjust in my hands.

   I sigh facing Seb. "But there is one thing that interests me."

"And that is?" Sebastian asks.

  "I need you to do something for me." Sebs frowns. "An investigation report on-"

Seb gasps. "No fucking way Nathan! You have to be out of your mind right now. Literally two seconds ago you said you're kind and, uh- but what?" He stutters. "An investigation report? You've officially gone crazy for this girl."

    I laugh. "It's not that. I just want to make sure she's okay."

"By stalking her?"

    "By knowing more about her." I say correcting him. "Something just doesn't feel right for some reason."

Seb sighs. "Fine, I'll do it but you've completely gone crazy. I need to leave. I have a date."

     "You're gonna make this one last, right?"

He walks over to the entrance of the dining room and shrugs. "Don't count on it." And walks out to the front door. "I don't wanna be a player no more, I ain't a player, I just fuck alot!" I hear him sing and couldn't help but chuckle.

    After I hear the front door close, I head to my study and start getting ready for the Skype call by going through some of the documents.

Didn't know you're such and asshole.

    Thinking about her calling me an asshole makes me laugh but I still feel bad for what I said.

You're not as bad as I thought.

Thanks.

_______________

19 August 2020.
_______________

I apologize for updating so late. Hopefully you enjoyed this chapter xo.

Song used in flashback, Rini ft Olivia Escuyos - Oceane. Check him out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7M 461K 109
An age gap love story. A brokenhearted billionaire. A college girl. ***** "Nevaeh," Aiden whispers, "can I rest my head on your shoulder?" I nod, l...
527K 22.1K 81
[18+ audience] "Be mine." "F-for how long ?" I stuttered asking him bluntly. "Forever!" He mumbled and pecked my forehead sending me to cloud nine...
23.2K 783 36
They say if you love someone truly, you will always find your way back to them, no matter what life throws at youu. As flashbacks came into view, Ha...
137K 709 3
WARNING R-RATED Disaster-in-Waiting was a dream come true for me. Firstly writing it and then sharing it on here and receiving such a wonderful respo...