How to Write a Good Story

By JoyCronje

This book is a collection of resources and random tips that will help you become a better writer and create s... More

Body Language (I)
Body Language (II)
Body Language (III)
Body Langauge (IIII)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (I)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (II)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (III)
Advice from Cliff Pickover (IIII)
Donna Ippolito
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (I)
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (II)
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (III)
Dialogue: The Music of Speech (IIII)
Elizabeth Sims
7 Ways to Make a Good Story Great (I)
7 Ways to Make a Good Story Great (II)
7 Ways to Make a Good Story Great (III)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (I)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (II)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (III)
Fixing Common Plot Problems (IIII)
Interlude: Joy on writing a good story
Using the Reverse Dictionary
'Ly' Adverbs (I)
'Ly' Adverbs (II)
'Ly' Adverbs (III)
Ernest Hemingway's app and advice (I)
Ernest Hemingway App and Advice (II)
Ernest Hemingway App and Advice (III)
Ellen Brock: Omniscient Narrator & Third Person Voice (I)
Omniscient Narrator & Third Person Voice (II)
Omniscient Narrator & Third Person Voice (III)
Interlude: Fun stuff (I)
Interlude: Fun stuff (II)
Randy Ingermanson: the Snowflake Method (I)
the Snowflake Method (II)
the Snowflake Method (III)
the Snowflake Method (IIII)
Gayle Moran on Points of View in Writing
Points of View in Writing (II)
Naming your Characters
Interlude: Joy on Plotting and Characters (I)
Interlude: Joy on Plotting and Characters (II)
Writing From more than one Point of View
Writing from More than One Point of View (II)
Janice Hardy on Multiple Point of View Characters
Jody Hedlund: 7 POV Tips -Avoid being Branded as an Amateur
Words To Describe a Character's Voice
Fictional vs Real Settings for your Story
Janice Hardy: 10 Questions to Ask when Choosing a Setting (I)
10 Questions to Ask when Choosing a Setting (II)
Randall S Hansen: Expanding Your Vocabulary (I)
Expanding Your Vocabulary (II)
Richard Nordquist: 200 Common Redundancies (I)
Common redundancies (II)
200 Common Redundancies (III)
Eight Ways to Strengthen your Prose
Leo Babauta: 31 Ways to Find Inspiration for Your Writing
31 Ways to Find Inspiration for Your Writing (II)
Interlude: Joy on overcoming writer's block
ProofEditWrite.com: Avoid Clichés
Avoid Clichés (II)
Words to Describe a Room
David Mesick: Three Things that will Make your Characters Deeper
SaidSimple: When To Start A New Paragraph
Rachelle Gardner: How to cut Thousands of Words without Shedding a Tear
Passed or Past? (grammarmonster.com)
Bare vs. Bear
Chuck Wendig: 25 Things a Great Character Needs
HOW TO PLOT A STORY
ACTIVE AND PASSIVE VOICE
Grammar Girl & Grammar Party: until, 'til, till, til
Gilliane Berry: The Ten Worst Ways to End a Book
Gary Korisko: How to Write With Confidence
silverpen.org: Grand List of Fantasy Clichés
Chuck Wendig: said or fancy-pants words
When Should We CaPiTaLizE?
Rob Hart: Plot Clichés
Strange Horizons: Stories we've seen too often (I)
Strange Horizons: Stories we've seen too often (II)
Strange Horizons: Horror stories we've seen too often
PunctuationMadeSimple.com
Punctuationmadesimple.com: The Apostrophe

Amanda Patterson: Guaranteed ways to bore your reader

1.2K 47 4
By JoyCronje

There are times when I pick up a book and I think, 'I can't carry on.' Even though I try to finish most of the novels I start, life is just too short to read badly-written, boring books.

Why are these books boring?

Most beginners overwrite - padding their prose with unnecessary descriptions and characters. This is mainly because they do not have a structured story with well-drawn characters and a cohesive, well-paced plot. 

I have put together five sure-fire ways that will help you if you want to bore your reader to tears.

Add heaps of backstory. Every page is important. Readers, publishers and literary agents make decisions about whether to carry on reading a book based on the first few pages. Do not waste anyone’s time with unimportant setting details and character histories. Introduce your main characters. Tell us where we are – briefly. Set up a great conflict with an exciting inciting moment. And write!

Do not structure your novel. Reading a book seems incredibly daunting if you are lost in an inexperienced author’s stream of consciousness. A great story does not meander from one unrelated event to another. It needs to follow a path. Otherwise, readers will lose interest. They will worry about wasting their time as you muddle through the details.

Do not create empathetic characters. It does not matter if you happen to love your unsympathetic psychopathic hero. The truth is that nobody will continue to read a novel without having an emotional connection to the main characters. They can be heroes, anti-heroes or villains, but they all need flaws and redeeming qualities. Readers read stories because they want to relate to someone in the book. We want to know why the characters are acting the way they do. 

Leave unnecessary scenes in the book. I walk out of movie theatres when I watch a film where nothing happens. I stop reading books for the same reason. Authors cannot simply place characters on the page, add some dialogue and description and not move the story forward. Scenes should move your characters and your plot to the resolution of your story. If they don’t, cut them. Removing scenes keeps your story focused, your pace intense, and creates tension so that readers can't stop reading.

Describe everything. You do not have to tell readers everything. They are not stupid. Reveal information through action and dialogue. This does not mean that you leave description out. It means that you do not tell us what every character, town, tree, or house, looks like in mind-numbing detail. Your characters should interact with the setting. A reader should be able to see and hear and smell the novel through the words on the page.

Please do not make these five mistakes when you write. Remember that you are competing for a place in a crowded market. The Internet, television, movies, and smart phones have taken their toll and today’s reader will not tolerate long flowery sentences, insipid characters and pages of boring backstory. Writing like this is a guaranteed way to lose your reader in the first few pages.

© Amanda Patterson

Follow her on Facebook and Pinterest and Google+ and Tumblr and Twitter. Amanda is the founder of Writers Write. Her signature courses are Writers Write, The Plain Language Programme, and The Social Brand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142K 7.6K 82
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
1.5M 3.6K 14
Kwentong iyong magugustuhan
203K 1K 33
This is a mix of different animes that have smut in them
53M 377K 65
Stay connected to all things Wattpad by adding this story to your library. We will be posting announcements, updates, and much more!