The Kings Queen [SLOW UPDATES]

By Denise_Thabo

King Henry, everyone woman's dream and probably every man's nightmare needs to get married. Penelope Harding... More

1. H E N R Y
2. P E N E L O P E
4. H E N R Y
5. P E N E L O P E
6. H E N R Y
7. P E N E L O P E
8. H E N R Y
9. P E N E L O P E
10. H E N R Y
11. P E N E L O P E
12. P E N E L O P E
13. H E N R Y
14. P E N E L O P E
15. P E N E L O P E
16. H E N R Y
17. P E N E L O P E
18. H E N R Y
19. P E N E L O P E
20. H E N R Y
21. P E N E L O P E
22. H E N R Y
23. H E N R Y
24. P E N E L O P E
25. P E N E L O P E
26. P E N E L O P E & H E N R Y
27. P E N E L O P E
28. P E N E L O P E
29. H E N R Y
30. H E N R Y
31. P E N E L O P E
32. P E N E L O P E
33. H E N R Y
34. P E N E L O P E
35. P E N E L O P E
36. H E N R Y
37. H E N R Y

3. P E N E L O P E

2.7K 137 26
By Denise_Thabo

"Penny, the boss wants to see you," Mara, the boss's assistant says as she stands by the doorway.

" Okay." I get up from my desk and make my way to the boss's office. I get on the elevator to the top floor and walk down the long passageway.

I knocked on the door, and he told me to come in.

"You asked to see me, sir?" I say as I walk towards his desk.

Mr Goodwill scans my body with hungry eyes, and I can't help but cringe, he is in his early thirties and isn't that attractive.

"Take a seat."

I sat in the chair across from him.

"Well Penelope, I'm very impressed with your work lately, you've helped boost the company's financials with your marketing ideas."

"Thank you, sir."

"I'd like to give you a promotion," he says, with a smile, but it had hidden intent.

"I'd appreciate that Mr Goodwill."

He smirks, "But I'd like you to do me a favour."

This isn't good.

"Go out with me for dinner."

I raise an eyebrow, "Like on a date?"

He nods, "Exactly."

"I can't do that, you're my boss, and that would be unethical."

"I am your boss, but I wouldn't see it as unethical."

I shake my head, "No I can't do it."

Mr Goodwill rises to his feet, clearly upset.

"You can't say no to me," he yells

I jumped in my seat, he's tall muscular build towering over me, he stared down at me with his dark green eyes.

"I'm sorry," she stutters.

Mr Goodwill chuckles evilly, "I do apologize, Miss Harding, I didn't mean to scare you."

I look up at the man, and nod fearfully, not wanting to anger him any more than I already have.

He lowers down to his seat and looks at me, "Now I'll ask you again, will you go out with me for dinner Miss Harding?"

Crap, I think.

I can't lose my job over this; I need this job and a promotion to look after my sick Aunt. At the same time, I can't go out with him, this is my boss, what are people going to think of me?

I agree knowing full well that I am going to regret it later, "Okay, I'll go."

Mr Goodwill smirks, "Great, I'll email the details to you. You're dismissed."

I quickly stood up and left his office, I closed the door and dashed to the bathroom to throw up, I felt sick to my stomach, that whole event made my stomach turn and twist all at the same time, it didn't help that I also suffered from anxiety.

I hate the man, the way he looks at me and makes rude sexual comments around me, he's a cocky, arrogant personality, just his entire existence and worst of all he is married.

After throwing up in the bathroom, I clean myself up and go back to the office, I love my job, being one of the top digital marketers for Vogue Magazine, it's fun and it pays well but I still need the promotion, my Aunts bills are piling up and the extra cash would help pay it off and this is the only way to do, so I have no other choice, and I have to be a big girl about it.

The day went by pretty quickly, and by five p.m., I am leaving the office, Mr Goodwill had sent me all the details of our date. It is going to be on Friday, which gives me time to prepare emotionally and physically.

I get home at six o'clock and find my Aunt Linda tending to her pots.

"Penny,"

"Hey mama," I greet as I walk into the kitchen, kissing my aunt on the cheek.

"How was work today baby?"

I sigh, "Good might get a promotion."

Aunty Linda gasps, "Oh my gosh, that is awesome."

"Thank you," I smile faintly.

"You don't look so happy to happy about it?"

"I am happy, I don't know if I'll get it, though."

"Oh, baby child, whether you get it or not, it doesn't matter to me. You're an honest, respectable and intelligent young woman, how'll succeed."

I hugged her, "Thank you, nana."

"I love you, baby."

"I love you too," I say and pulls away, "Did you take your meds?"

"Yes, I did." she nods with a smile.

"Are they working?"

Aunty Linda looks at her, "Yes they are."

"Good, after three failed attempts we have hope."

Aunty Linda hums in agreement, after having two heart surgeries and two different sets of medication, there was hope that this was going to work.

"Now go get changed dinner is almost ready."

I exit the kitchen and make my way to my bedroom to get changed. We live in a small, two-bedroom house, it isn't much, but we both lived happily together.

I change out of my work clothes and walk to the dining room in my onesie, purple bonnet, and pink bunny slippers, I sit down on the couch and a few moments later Aunt Linda joins me with two bowls of Spaghetti and meatballs in her hand. She turns on the TV and there he is King Henry; he is at a charity event.

"He is so sexy", Aunt Linda says hungrily.

I can't help but blush when memories of him come back to me, "He is and he's awfully sweet."

Aunt Linda looks at her niece suspiciously, "Have you met him?"

Shit, girl, you finna wanna get caught!

"Uh, he looks awfully sweet is what I meant to say."

Linda gives me a once over, "Mhm okay."

I look down at my bowl avoiding my aunt's stare, I don't like talking to my aunt about boys, not because she doesn't like me dating, but because Aunt Linda gets a little carried away and that's why the only boy, I've ever brought home is, Ashby, he is my best friend and we grew up together, my aunt and his mother were friends.

After dinner, we clear up the kitchen together, and after that Aunty Linda goes to bed, leaving me all alone for the rest of the night, and I decide to go to my room to prepare for work, just as I am about done and slipping into my blankets my phone rings, it's Ashby.

"Hello."

"Penny, why haven't you been answering my messages?" he says frustrated.

I frown, "Sorry, I've been busy with work."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you" he sighs, "You know how worried I get about you."

"It's okay, why are you calling?"

"You disappeared last night, what happened?"

I lay down on my bed, "I had to get home, I do have a job I need to wake up to."

"Of course."

I remain silent.

"Henry hasn't stopped talking about you. It seems like you've left a mark," Ashby chuckles.

I grin, beat that, Sophia.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I think I might cut my ears off, everything is about you now."

"I thought he liked Sophia."

Ashby laughs, "Definitely not."

I didn't know why I was happy to hear that.

"Oh okay."

Ashby is quiet for a while, "Is everything okay at home? At work?"

"Yeah, everything is fine," I lie, I hate lying to people and I knew deep down inside that Ashby knew I was lying.

"Penny, come on, don't lie to me like that."

I sigh, "Okay, it's work."

"What about work?"

I let out a shaky breath, "I might get a promotion."

"That's great babe, but what's the issue?"

I gulp down the heavy lump in my throat with tears in her eyes, "I don't know what I'll do if I don't get it, Ash."

"Penny baby, you'll get that promotion."

I can't do this, and I break down in tears, not because of the promotion but because I'm lying to Ashby.

"I'll be there in five minutes", Ashby says and hangs up the phone.

I have never lied to Ashby before, not ever and today I did, I feel guilty lying to the ones I love. I get out of bed and go to the bathroom, to wash my face.

Girl, you need to be strong, you're doing this Mama, not for you, I say to myself.

I turn on the tap and bend down to wash my face and go back to bed.

I hear a knock at the door and quickly rush, I look into the peephole and see Ashby standing outside with a tub of ice cream and chocolate and spoons in another hand, I quickly unlock the door and open it.

"Hey princess," he smiles, "I came as soon as I could."

I let him in and closed the door before locking it, "You didn't have to come, Ash."

"You were crying and as your best friend, I have to wipe those tears and put a smile on your face."

I smiled, "Let's go to my room."

We quietly walk down the hall to my room and sit down on the bed together, Ashby pops open the tub of ice cream and gives me a spoon.

"Now talk to me."

I dig my spoon into the tub and eat it, tasting the chocolate ice cream melt in my mouth, just pure bliss.

"I have everything riding on this promotion, but I have lots of competition, my fear is not getting the job because I don't perform well, and also get demoted at the same time," I explain, taking another spoon and shoving it in my mouth.

"Listen, you've been working for vogue for four years now, there is no way they are not giving you this promotion."

"But other women will do anything for this job, and I mean anything," she says lowly.

Ashby licks his spoon, causing me to heat up a little, he made everything look sexy.

I wonder how Henry looks while licking a spoon, girl, stop it.

"You're a woman of integrity, and you shouldn't lower yourself by doing sexual favours or whatever to get what you want, demanding work and determination are what will get things going," he explains.

Too late for those kind words.

"Thank you."

Ashby looks at me, there was something different in his eyes, something I had never seen before.

He picks up the tub of ice cream and puts it on the bedside table.

"Ashby", I pout but Ashby cups my cheeks into his hand and kisses me and surprisingly I kiss back. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2M 97K 50
Copyrights © 2014 by itslovely23 All rights reserved Andrew Henderson is ready to take the next step in the industry. He's about to make a deal with...
823K 25.3K 42
Valeria Patterson is the IT woman. She has everything: the looks, the brains, and not to mention the countless billions of dollars she owns. She's be...
3.6M 141K 34
C O M P L E T E D ☼ Book 1 ☼ - for·bid·den love a love forbidden by family, society, conscience, etc. - Jonathan Stiller, the powerful owner of th...
4.7M 222K 72
When plain simple nerdy Emma Cole goes to Hollen Tower for an interview she quickly realizes she is out of her league. The women of Hollen Tower are...