Stars and Diamonds

Od GreenEndai

Highest Rank: #1 White Pearl #4 in DiamondAuthority and #9 in StevenUniverse Brought into the world by Pink D... Viac

Chapter 1: So Small
Chapter 2: A Lost Pearl
Chapter 3: Troublemaker
Chapter 4: I Want To Learn
Chapter 5: Poofed
Chapter 6: Hurt
Chapter 7: White's wrath
Chapter 8: Before This
Chapter 9: Dance With Me
Chapter 10: Changing Times
Chapter 11: Just A Servant
Chapter 12: Understanding
Chapter 13: She Needs A Friend
Chapter 14: White's Inquiry
Chapter 15: A Pearl
Chapter 16: One On One
Chapter 17: White's Talk
Chapter 18: Family Fun
Chapter 19: The Trial
Chapter 20: Drawing Lessons
Chapter 21: Missed
Chapter 22: Rose Quartz
Chapter 23: Uncontrolled
Chapter 24: Conference
Chapter 25: The Rebellion
Chapter 26: Orange Poofed
Chapter 27: Training
Chapter 28: Ebbing pt 1
Chapter 29: Ebbing pt 2
Chapter 30: Eroded
Chapter 31: Cracked
Chapter 32: Adored
Chapter 33: Mama
Chapter 35: Food
Chapter 35: Yellow
Chapter 36: Loyalty
Chapter 37: Reflection
Chapter 38: Miles Apart
Chapter 39: Close At Heart
Chapter 40: Polished
Chapter 41: Start Of Something New
Chapter 42: Hello, Goodbye
Chapter 43: Free
Announcement
Chapter 44: Observations
Chapter 45: Push Comes to Shove
Chapter 46: Opportunities
Chapter 47: Repercussions
Chapter 48: Learning
Chapter 49: Reconcile
Chapter 50: Return
Chapter 51: My Secret Keeper pt 1
Chapter 52: My Secret Keeper Pt 2
Chapter 53: I'm Going Home
Chapter 54: Quarry
Chapter 55: On The Verge
Chapter 56: Fault
Chapter 57: Inevitable Pt 1
Chapter 58: Inevitable Pt 2
1 Year Anniversary
Chapter 60: Turn of Events
Event Update
Chapter 61: The Fix
Chapter 62: Know Your Place
Chapter 63: I Am
Chapter 64: Pink Is The Color Of
Chapter 65: The Correction
Chapter 66: Crystal Clear
Chapter 67: Arraignment
Chapter 68: Look How Far We've Come
Chapter 69: Responsibilities
Chapter 70: I Could Do About Anything
Chapter 71: Quandary

Chapter 59: Entr'acte

1K 33 2
Od GreenEndai

Ping

Ping

Ping

The light of a new day cycle lit up Homeworld's grandest city, growing brighter as the day progressed and shifts changed, gems trading out their jobs to return to cubbies or to move on to another assignment, work never quite done. It filtered in between towering buildings and broad pillars, most notably casting prisms of light through the thick glass of White Diamond's palace, never failing to put on a light show as it glittered against perfectly carved stone and gently crafted crystals. If it hadn't been for the sheer curtains that were heavy with lace patterns and layered upon itself, drawn together in the middle of the night by its owner's companion, the youngest diamond would have been awoken from her deep sleep much sooner in the cycle than she would have cared for. As it was, Orange was still in her bed, leg dangling out of rumpled covers that had only been pulled over her hips as an after thought following her trek to the bed, determined to see Pearl out not too long after their dance and a day that had left her exhausted.

Ping

Barely thinking at the time, she had begun picking up pillows along the way and tossing them in the general direction of the bed. Most had managed to make it onto the large mattress, and those that didn't remained where they had fallen, which is how Orange would find herself at an odd angle, shoulder and upper arm raised by an overly stuffed pillow, another jammed under her knee as her leg teetered over the side, with one managing to wedge itself under her back.

Ping

"Wuhhh-! What?" The young gem shot up, still half-asleep as she supported herself on her forearm, squint through tired eyes in the direction of the door, not entirely processing what had awoken her yet.

Ping

Her eyes narrowed, half tempted to ignore the noise and fall back to the bed to return to sleep. She didn't know what time it was, but she knew she could sleep for a while longer regardless. It wasn't like she had anywhere to be.

Ping

The insistent noise made her groan, head falling down to rest against her forearm while she gathered the will to get up. Reluctantly, she sat up, pushing at the covers wrapped around her legs, struggling to free herself as another ping alerted her to her very persistent guest. She figured it definitely wasn't Pearl, she would have entered already without disturbing her.

"I'm coming!" She yelled, agitated, "Give me a moment would you!"

Standing up, the young diamond stretched, pulling her arms over her head as she attempted to rid herself of the odd twinge in her back. Trudging to the door, Orange frowned as she released the lock from her side.

"This better be importan-" Orange blinked, surprised and confused as her gaze was returned with a rather impassive stare from a familiar face. "Iris?"

Iris Agate inclined her head, a small show of respect for the larger gem as one arm was preoccupied with holding a pile of pad cases against her side, "My Diamond."

"I, uhh, ahem," The young Diamond cleared her throat, adjusting her tunic a little more with the presence of her Agate, as if she were a soldier expecting to undergo an inspection. "I wasn't expecting you?"

"I'm sure." Iris' eye looked her superior up and down, assessing her before she could pack it away behind her more professional persona. "You seem scattered, my Diamond. Am I distracting you from something?"

"Only some good sleep." Orange joked good-naturedly, offering the shorter gem a small smile in assurance.

The agate's eyebrows pulled together, head tilting ever so slightly at her response, "I...don't know what that is."

"It's when- never mind, it isn't not important." Orange brushed off with a wave of her hand, "What are you doing here?"

There was a short pause as the Diamond's face contorted, eyes widening and mouth dropping open as panic set in for a moment, "Wait! Is it a training day? Damn it, I haven't even thought about-"

"It's alright." Iris interrupted her with a held out hand, signaling for the younger gem to let her speak before she continued on in her distress, "I have already been informed of your," She paused as she searched for an appropriate word, settling on, "unfortunate circumstances. White Diamond's Pearl contacted me."

Orange's eyes went wide, "Pearl-" She sighed, hand reaching up to run through her long bangs as she shook her head, speaking quietly to herself, "Of course. What would I do without her?"

Turning her attention back to the Agate, Orange rested her hands on her hips as she addressed her, "I'm glad you know, at least. I'd invite you in instead of making you stand in the hall," She motioned with her hand to the space behind her, "but I can't get into any more trouble." Orange explained, "White has forbidden me to see anyone. Which, honestly, is why I'm surprised you're here."

Iris nodded in understanding, "I am here because White Diamond has allowed it."

Orange went slack-jawed for a moment, bewildered. She titled her head, as if she had heard wrong, "Sorry, what?"

"I have gotten express permission to be here. My Diamond- my old, er," Her lips pulled back as she stumbled over titles in her attempt to explain before finally settling on, "White Diamond permitted me to see you. As I am your only Agate and the highest ranking gem in your court currently, I am the only one with high standing currently in your service."

"Oh," Orange hummed, having never really thought of exactly who held what rank under her, they all had simply only been her gems in her mind, ranks unimportant. "I guess that makes you some kind of royalty, huh?"

Iris raised an eyebrow at the poor joke, unamused.

"Well, why don't you come in, then." Orange said as she stepped to the side, allowing space for Iris to pass, eyes scanning the room and feeling embarrassed by the disorder she had caused. "Forgive the mess."

Iris walked passed her, stopping before the steps down the landing to survey her superior's room for the first time, turning her head to raise an eyebrow at her, "Are you certain you didn't have another guest before me, my Diamond?"

Orange's face darkened, the faint snickers of Five and Seven behind her not helping as she sputtered, "What? No! No, I, erm- never mind that." She turned to glare behind her, catching glimpses of the two guard's faces as the door shut, finally giving them privacy. Turning around, Orange evened out her features, ignoring the blush she could still feel on her cheeks as she straightened up, taking on a more serious attitude as she moved to join the other gem. "What can I do for you, Iris?"

Iris waited as her superior stepped closer to pull out and hold up the pile of closed pad cases, stacked on top of one another. "I came to give you these."

Orange reached out, hand hesitating midway to the offered stack of cases, fingers pulling back to her palm in uncertainty. "...did you get these approved by White?"

"Everything has been screened and gone through. This-" Iris held out a pad among the stack, pure white as opposed to the matte black of the others, "-is from White Diamond herself, however. I do not know it's contents, only ordered to deliver it with these."

Orange took the case from her, holding it as she stared at it, confused and waiting, as if answers would be given to her. "From White?"

Just what did she want? What was it, and why send it with Iris and not her own Pearl? Perhaps it wasn't that important? But why had she decided that this was something she could have, out of all things?

"Oh" Orange gasped, looking up to the expectant expression of Iris's face as she reached out and took the other pads, careful to not drop them. "Thank you, Iris. But surely you aren't just here to deliver what a pearl would have."

"No." Iris shook her head, "As I said before, as your highest ranking gem, I have been taking care of some of your things in your...temporary absence. Also, I felt it only right to deliver this to you in person."

Orange watched as Iris pulled yet another case from her pocket, this one set apart from the other by its color alone, copper, and emblazoned with the four Diamond's insignia on its side. Reaching out, Orange took the pad as well, unsure what to do with her suddenly growing stack of cases. "What is this?"

"Terms of a transfer," Iris explained, "approved by White Diamond."

Orange's mind went blank for a moment, staring at the case, and then up at Iris, "A transfer?"

"A gem transferring courts must be recorded, my Diamond." She nodded her head to indicate the case in hand, "It happens more often than you'd think."

Orange's mouth formed a straight line, tense as she took a moment to grasp her scattered emotions and keep from reacting as was her first instinct. With deep breath, she instead calmly asked, "Are you leaving my service, Iris?"

Iris' eye went wide before quickly narrowing as her eyebrows scrunched together, "What?"

"You said a transfer." Orange continued, "Are you returning to White? Is this another one of her punishments?"

Iris' face blanked as she responded, "This is a transfer of gems to your service."

Orange's mouth fell open, the strain leaving her instantly in her shock. "To?"

"With your new palace nearly complete, gems already under your service will be transferred to be closer to you, where ever they may currently be stationed." Iris answered, hands moving to clasp behind her back, "That also means the spire that you and the Topazes have slowly been trying to crack in half with your bodies will no longer be ours to use. I have chosen acceptable replacements for you to choose from, unless you wish to move your training to a designated room in your palace instead. I will adjust everything accordingly."

"...Gems...to my..." Orange repeated dumbly as she stared back down at the case before looking up, embarrassed, cheeks heating up as she grinned sheepishly, "so...you're not leaving me? I really thought..."

"My Diamond," Iris cut in, "forgive me...but you can be an idiot sometimes."

"Iris!" Orange gasped, surprised by the Agate's blatantness.

Iris bowed at the waist, curls of hair falling in her face as she spoke,"My sincerest apologies, I stepped out of line, my Diamond-"

"No!" Orange exclaimed, interrupting as she shook her head, "It's...you're right." She agreed, waiting as she straightened herself up to look back up at her superior, "I am an idiot. Thank you for bringing this." She held up the stack of cases between her hands, "I'll go over everything, and have one of the pearls or the Carnelians bring it to you before the week is up."

"Please," She grimaced, "not the small defective one."

"Five?"

"If that is her designation. I have never encountered such an insolent gem in my career."

Orange chuckled, imagining the indignation on Five's face if she heard her, "She's scrappy, I know."

"That is not quite the term I would consider."

Orange nodded as she conceded to the Agate's request, "I will have a pearl do it, then. I think you scare Five anyway."

Iris' shoulders squared, head raised as if proud by this news, "Good."

"The pearl, or scaring my guard?" the Diamond questioned, amused.

"I have to pick an option?" Iris deadpanned.

Orange laughed, "I don't think I've ever heard you joke like that."

"Joke? I'm being serious. I'm always serious."

"If you say so." Orange nodded, sensing the end of her visit nearing. Gesturing to the pads once more, "Thank you, for doing this."

Iris properly saluted her, "It is my duty to serve you, my Diamond."

Orange followed her the short distance to the door, before stopping as she turned to address her once more, "Iris?"

"My Diamond?"

"I will be at our next training session." Orange informed, a small feeling of determination coming over her, "I will make up the time I have missed already."

"I will await for you to show up first." Iris responded, not unkindly, but telling all the same.

The young gem deflated slightly, the realization of just how often she had skirted her Agate's training sessions, and the non too fond memory of how she had left things during her last one, coming to her. "I've really let you down, haven't I?"

"No, my Diamond." Iris shook her head a she responded, "It was your wish to train yourself this way, to discipline your body and mind, and I find that admirable. I am merely your trainer, a servant." Iris paused as she turned to face her, "The only person you can let down is yourself. Do you feel you have failed?"

"I feel..." Orange's eyes fell to the floor, eyebrows scrunched up as she quickly came to an answer, one she wasn't fond of, but knew it was the truth. Despite how she felt, she lifted her head and smiled, a new kind of determination filling her, "Thank you for your service, Iris. I will see you when my time is up."

Watching as Iris left, the door closing behind her, Orange turned, eyes going to the stack of pads in her hands as she shifted them to rest against her arm and chest to keep from dropping any of them.

Despite how she was feeling now, a little more down and, frankly, tired, she was also filled with excited nervousness to see both the special pad that had a list of the transferred gems, as well as the pad White had sent for her. It was all more important than the siren call of her bed.

Pulling the copper colored case from top of the stack, she moved towards her desk as she attempted to open it while not dropping the others, and failing miserably. However, as she came upon her desk, she paused at the sight of the large crack and scattered pills, pillows from her previous nights fit still cluttered the space. Frowning, she stopped moved to place them into her chair, batting a few stray tablets onto the floor, keeping the other in her hand, before moving towards the door.

Opening it, she peaked her head out, catching the guards attention as her bright orange hair was hard to miss.

"My diamond?"

"Do you need something?"

Turning to Seven, who was stationed to her right, Orange responded, "Yes. Call a crew of Pumice to come clean my room at once. I need them to fix my desk and tidy."

"Your-"

"Don't ask, Just hurry." Orange interrupted, pulling back before the burn on her cheeks could become more noticeable.

"Yes, my Diamond." Seven responded just before the larger gem disappeared back into her room.

Turning back to the chair that held her newly acquired pads, Orange picked up a few of the ones Iris had brought, as well as the copper one she was interested in looking through. How exciting it was to know she already had gems lined up to join her fledging court. Did they know? Were they under a hush order until she was officially announced? Or would it be sprung on them? How odd it must be for a gem to be transferred from their court to another, how did their loyal lean afterwards? It made Orange wonder just how many of those gems she could honestly trust, and who would not always question her when she did something different from their original diamond. Perhaps that was something to ask Yellow about when she came home.

Taking the pads, Orange sat down on her bed, scattering closed pad cases beside her and picking up one of the black ones Iris had brought, deciding the roster of gems would wait until she wasn't waiting on other gems to be in her room, and it would just be her. She didn't want to be interrupted going over what was surely confidential information.

Opening the pad, she watched as the hard case expanded in her hand, forming a holo screen between the two pieces, flashing to life in her hand as she inputted her own authorizations to use the restricted pad.

"Oh," Orange hummed as she scanned the contents of the first page before moving on to another page, seeing it was merely a schedule, rule and regulations and suggestions for her new court, both with Iris' input, as well as other gems she didn't personally know, but assumed were both high up enough and qualified to be giving her the suggestions.

Caught up in what had, at first, seemed like a boring read through, quickly became an interesting insight from her Agate. Orange was surprised when she looked up, a single waring Pingall she got before the Carnelians were stepping in with a trio of Pumice, all three with their heads bowed as the quartz soldier stood behind them as escorts.

"The Pumice, my diamond." Five announced.

"Thanks," Orange acknowledge her guards, taking a brief moment to examine the three Pumice, but they seemed to go to great efforts to keep from making any eye contact with her, their hair that covered their eyes as they lowered their heads did not help either. all she could see where their lips, thinned into a neutral expression, not giving anything away. giving up on that endeavor, Orange decided to simply let the servant gems do their job as she went back to her work, simply stating, "Clean the whole room and fix anything you see that is amiss."

The Pumice said nothing but salute, the Carnelians standing and watching as they split off from one another, going about picking up pillows and stale tablets from the floor. Looking at each other, Five turned to the Diamond who had already turned back to the pad in her hand.

"Do you want us to stay and watch 'em, my Diamond?"

Looking up, Orange shook her head, "they're fine. You can return to your post."

Both Carnelians saluted before leaving, taking one last glance at the small little gems as they moved far too in sync for their liking, leaving without bothering to lock the door behind them.

It did not take long for Orange to become engrossed in the pad again, eyes scanning information and seeking out the relevant annotations with it. So far, she had concluded Iris Agate had collaborated on it with two other gems, one Morganite and one Holly Blue Agate, both with input from their own courts perspective, and occasionally, their own experience and views.

While Orange had no expectation she would be dealing with the things mentioned by them, it was interesting to see how the Agates ran things, and both the discipline and doctrines employed in their service and courts. It gave her insight on how she could expect her own future Agates to act, and examples of punishments and rehabilitations she had never had to think about before. It had never been up to her to decide a punishment, nor even rules to set for someone else to follow, with real consequences if she wasn't listened to. It really made it set in that she truly was going to be apart of the Authority, with her own court and her own gems, with real responsibilities. She was going to be a real Diamond in a matter of weeks. Her entire life had been leading up to this moment, and it was sinking in just how quickly it would all be happening, and just how unprepared she actually was.

A feeling of someone being near made the back of her neck tingle, alerting her as she was pulled out of her thoughts by a small noise, quiet and barely noticeable unless she had been listening for it. craning her neck up, Orange was startled by the sight of two of the three Pumice standing before her, one with a bag in hand with a noticeable droop to it, the other holding more pillows than the young Diamond thought she should be able to, and yet her balance with them was astounding.

It was the one to her left, holding the bag, that spoke up, "May...may Pumice 6G9 rearrange the bed, my Diamond?"

Sitting up, Orange rested the pad against her thigh as she looked between the two small gems, "Which one of you is 6G9?"

"This one is Pumice 6G9," The same pumice bowed at the waist, "my Diamond. Forgive her, she did not make herself understandable to her radiance."

"It's alright," Orange responded, embarrassed as she recognized her mistake. "I guess I just didn't think. I should have realized what you meant."

"Forgive Pumice 6G9," The small gem continued, "she did not wish to ask her Radiance to accommodate her, but she did not wish to leave the job unfinished."

"Continue." The young diamond said as she gathered up the small stack of pads beside her and stood up to make room for them, turning back and pausing as they were suddenly bowing their heads to her, making the small gems seem much smaller to her. "Don't...do not miss the pillows, 6G9, and uh, you." Orange cringed, deciding to extract herself immediately before it could get worse, sidestepping the two she paused to ask, "Are you aware how I prefer them?"

"Yes!" The only talker of the two answered, "Yes, your radiant, luminous Diamond. Pumice 6G9 has serviced hers room many times."

Nodding, Orange motioned to the opposite side of the room with her head, "Then I will move to my desk to check on your counterpart. Continue your work."

Turning away, Orange took her time crossing the room, turning her head to watch over her shoulder as the two had already begun replacing pillows while simultaneously adjusting the blankets, somehow managing to work in tandem to accomplish their task quickly without impeding the other. Turning back around, Orange put her attention on the remaining Pumice, who seemed to be assessing the work she had already accomplished on her desk.

"Will you be able to fix it?" She questioned as she came to stand beside the chair, the pumice jumping at her voice, "Or will a Bismuth have to come?"

"Oh! Your radiant-"

"Please skip the titles." The Diamond interrupted, turning to place the pads in her hand with the others in her chair, "I don't want to be here all day."

"I, oh, Of course." The small gem bowed, "Pumice 7F2 can fix this. Minor damage, my Diamond, minor. Easy fix."

"Good." Orange turned an eye to her desk, seeing the small chunks that had broken and splinted were her fist had impacted had already been filled, thought the spidering cracks and the most notable one leading from the partially fixed fissure still remained. "I really didn't want to have a Bismuth in here."

"Easy fix, my Diamond." The gem repeated as she shook her head, "No need. Pumice 7F2 can do this, yes!"

Her tone brought a smile to the diamond's face, tilting her head as he turn to look at the Pumice, "You're much livelier than the others."

"Pumice 7F2 loves fixing things!" She laughed, "Much better than wiping up dust on already clean floors, Yes, Yes."

Orange took a moment to move the cases in her chair, sitting down and replacing them on her lap as she picked back up speaking with the small gem as she continued to fix her desk, "If you're so fond of fixing, why aren't you working along side the Bismuths?"

"Pumice 7F2 is inferior, my Diamond, no, no." She explained, shaking her head and causing her mess of hair to fling in different directions as she did, "No work. Made bad mistake. Never allowed near the forges and hangars again, no she isn't."

"A Mistake, Huh?" Orange titled her head, "So your were reassigned to cleaning. What where you originally tasked to do?"

"7F2 used to refine ship parts for her glorious Yellow Diamond's fleet, Yes she did. Very proud, she was."

Orange rose an eyebrow, "Refine?"

"Polish, clean, refine." 7F2 listed, "Not all parts ready for instillation or use until overseen by Pumice, no, no. Much work to make a good ship run."

This peaked Orange's interest, and she pushed for more, "What kind did you help make?"

"Big, beautiful, colony ships. Finest ships, yes. What 7F2 was made to do." She paused, something that did not go unnoticed to the diamond, nor the shifting of her voice as she said, "Was. Was made to do."

"That's unfortunate. But aren't those ships going out of service soon? I've seen the new models, better colony ships. You would have had to be reassigned after the ships were decommissioned."

"Yes." Pumice nodded, her tone picking up as she continued on, "Yes, the Diamond speaks the truth. But 7F2 misses the work all the same. Fixing simple desks easy work. Not as rewarding."

"I suppose I can understand." Orange said, attempting to relate to the small worker. Though she couldn't sympathize with being taken away from rewarding work, she could imagine being removed from ship work, or ships all together, and how awful that would be for her. "It must have been interesting, seeing those ships made in person."

"Shining wonders that take us to the stars." I she could see them, Orange imagined her eyes would be twinkling as her voice lifted, "7F2 dreams of seeing them one day."

"You want to leave Homeworld?" Orange questioned, surprised that the small cleaning gem had such aspirations.

"Yes! I mean No!" Pumice waved her hands, attempting to dismiss what she said before bowing her head, "Uh, 7F2 has spoken too much, she apologizes. Pumice 7F2 knows her place, yes."

"Huh." Orange leaned forward, momentarily losing her though and the conversation as she peered at the desk, not a scratch or crack in sight. "Good as new. Looks like I won't be getting another lecture from White after all. You really saved my hide. Nice work."

"Was Pumice 7F2's pleasure to aid her glorious leader." The small gem bowed again as she stepped back from the desk, "She is lucky to help, yes."

"Now I can properly do my work." Orange took a moment to set the pads on the desk, much more room now that none of her things were present. stopping herself from picking one up, she turned to acknowledge the gem who had helped her, taking a moment to glance behind her to the bed and finding the two pumice picking up and messing with the curtains, pulling them back and picking up more scattered tablets from around the lacy ends, but mostly finished with the task they had been called for. "Uh, I guess your crew is about done."

"Hmm, yes, yes." 7F2 agreed as she turned to look as well, "Pumice do fast work, stay out of greater gem's way, yes."

The two soon came over, joining them as the small gem next to Orange finished putting away her tools in the little satchel at her hip, this time the one who had yet to speak spoke up.

"Room is reset to perfect order, Pumice are done."

Orange nodded, "That will be all."

"Our Diamond." All three gems saluted her, bowing their heads before forming a line as they headed for the door.

Turning to her desk, Orang picked up a new cases, putting the previous one to the side to read more later. "Now, lets see what this all is."

-------------------------

"You're dismissed, Pearl." White Diamond waved her off, not bothering to turn her face away from the projected screens around her to acknowledge the little servant gem standing beside her.

Pearl, unbothered by this, bowed all the same. "Yes, my Diamond."

Taking leave, Pearl's shoulders fell as soon as the doors shut behind her, relaxing now that she was out of sight of the grand Diamond. Exhausted didn't quite cover how she felt. She wanted nothing more than to sit down somewhere quiet to rest, perhaps even alone, but she very much wanted to see Orange, especially after the night prior. To think, she had agreed to the young diamond's proposal, a pearl like her, being courted. She could already see the scandal across Homeworld if that secret ever got out, and yet, as she had predicted it would, the thought brought her no anxiety.

Because they wouldn't be found out. The more she had repeated it in her mind throughout the day, the more she had internalized it, had truly allowed herself to believe Orange's words beyond that of the young gem's bravado. Working under White meant you learned to be good at keeping your mouth shut and hiding what shouldn't be seen, and if Orange was as determined as her eyes spoke in the moment, Pearl knew they would be able to do what they had to to keep them together. For once, she was sure she had found a Diamond she could truly believe in.

Entering Orange Diamond's wing, Pearl took a moment to acknowledge the two Carnelians as they opened the door for her with a simple gesture of her head. Once opened, Pearl entered, taking a moment to look around and was glad to see the room was spotless, a great contrast from the night before. She wasn't sure if the Carnelians or Orange would take initiative to have it picked up, and she wasn't sure if Orange even knew how to clean.

Her appreciation of the room was cut short, however, as her attention was quickly pulled to the desk where she found the youngest diamond, stood up and leaned over, staring at something that was blocked from her view. From her posture alone, and the visible tension in her shoulders, she already knew that something was wrong.

"Orange?" She spoke, breaking the quiet tension she had unknowingly walked into.

"Hello, Pearl." Orange responded without turning her head, voice far too even for Pearl to find believable for her.

"Well," the smaller gem began, head tilting as she stepped down from the platform to walk towards her, "That isn't the welcome I was expecting."

The young Diamond turned her head to look over her shoulder, giving her a small apologetical smile, "I'm sorry."

"You look like something's wrong."

Orange breathed out loudly, shoulders sagging as one hand moved to cover her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose. Picking up the pad she had been staring at, she flopped backwards into her chair, holding out the pad over the side of the chair arm for Pearl to see as she approached. "Iris brought this by earlier."

"I'm aware she stopped by." Pearl said, noting the other cases that littered the desk, "She had your court ledger."

"That's right." Orange nodded, "And The Carnelians aren't on it."

"Oh?"

The younger gem pursed her lips, turning to look at Pearl as she stopped beside her, "Which means I need to talk to White."

"Hold on." Pearl held out her hands in a gesture for her to slow down, "Please explain before you do anything rash."

"I'm not being rash." Orange countered, "I'm calm. I'm very calm, because if I'm not right now, I'm going to break my promise to you."

"Don't do this." The smaller gem pleaded, "Breath, and talk to me. I don't want you hiding your emotions, Orange, thats not what I asked." She waited a moment as the diamond did as she asked and nodded to her, "What about the guards?"

"This." She shook the pad in her hand, "I was given this earlier. A list of all the gems going to be in my possession. It's missing two important names."

"Your guards." Pearl filled in, seeing exactly where this was going.

"I'm going to sort this out." Orange said as she leaned forward to put the copper case onto her desk with he others, "I'm not going anywhere without them."

"Orange, think this through."

"I am. I'm going to talk to White about it."

"Please, take a look around you and your current situation." Pearl begged, motioning to the room around them, the notably barrenness to it unmissable, "The last time you decided you were going to do something without thinking landed you with punishment. You promised me you wouldn't get into more trouble."

"What am I supposed to do?" Orange exclaimed, throwing her hands out in frustration, "I can't just leave Five and Seven here."

"They are just Quartz soldiers, Orange." Pearl responded, reaching forward to grasp the diamond's shoulder, "You're a Diamond. Is this really worth potentially incurring White Diamond's wraith once more?"

"You're worth it." Orange tilted her head, staring into Pearl's eyes as she reached up to cover her hand with her own, "Shouldn't they have a chance too? Do you see them as beneath you?"

"I..." Pearl's eyes flicked away from the Diamond's, only to be pulled back by her hand being gently squeezed, "I see them as replaceable. But, I also don't have the connection with them that you do. Perhaps..."

"They are my friends as well. They're important to me, I can't just not try. Please, understand," Orange implored as she released Pearl's hand to stand up, moving pasted the chair to stand in front of the smaller gem, reaching forward to gently cup her round face between her hands, "I'm not doing this to upset White or anything. I'm not trying to break my promise to you already"

"I know..." Pearl sighed, reaching up to grasp the sides of the hands cupping her face, eyes closing for a moment before she spoke again, "you're doing this for your friends."

"Them, my Topazes, Iris, er, sort of." The younger gem softly chuckled, "I'm not really sure with her, honestly. But, I don't have a lot of friends, real friends, like you. If I can, I want to keep the ones I have. Will you help me?"

Pearl closed her eyes, taking a moment to think before looking back up at her companion, "...If you're going to be talking with White, you need a plan. You need to know what you're going to say before you go there, and not wingit."

A wide smile stretched across the diamond's face before she was leaning forward, placing a short kiss on the smaller gem's mouth before pulling back to look her in the eyes. "You're the best, Pearl."

Blushing, Pearl smiled, pulling back slightly from the diamond's hands, signally for her to let her go as she did so. "Did you have anything in mind to say?"

"Not really." Orange answered sheepishly, "I can do speeches, and I'm getting better at schooling my features. I just...what am I supposed to say without downright demanding, or telling her I care about them? I already know she wouldn't like that."

"You'll have to ask for an audience first." Pearl informed her, "She may deny you, considering you're on probation."

"Yeah, but..." Orange's face lit up as a thought hit her, "oh!"

"What?"

"I'm on probation, but she permitted Iris to come see me for Diamond matters." Orange explained, "This is my court, I have every right to speak with her about it's future. She can't turn me away so easily then."

"That...could work." Pearl was hesitant to agree, nodding before adding, "But Orange, you should know, and I say this in the capacity of a Diamond's pearl, that may work for the others, but White can turn you down no matter what."

Orange's eyebrows scrunched up in confusion, "What?"

"She does so to the other Diamonds often enough when she feels the matter isn't important. She sees it as wasting her time."

"What kind of way is that to rule? Ignoring your peers?" The young diamond questioned, "Yellow would never waste her time with something trivial."

"White Diamond sees it as otherwise."

Crossing her arms, Orange pursed her lips as she mulled this new information over, "...I'm starting to see White does things much differently then I thought. Maybe she has a reason for it though." She offered, looking to the smaller gem before her, "She's always ahead of everyone else."

"Perhaps."

"Whatever the case," Orange shrugged, arms falling back to her sides, "I should speak to her about this."

"Orange, will you listen to my advice?"

"Of course." Orange agreed without hesitance.

"Wait until your probation is lifted. You're not leaving for your palace until after the coronation, there is time. If you wait, instead of trying to force the topic the same week you incurred trouble, it will seem as if you have no respect for what White has done. You could be seen as insolent, and you won't be helping your friends."

Working her jaw, the young Diamond took a moment to honestly consider her word, finding the wisdom in them, "...So I should just wait until yellow comes."

Pearl nodded, "I believe it would be for the best."

"I don't like sitting on my hands." Orange mumbled, hand combing through the back if her hair as she sighed, "I'm not very cut out for patience."

"You waited for me." The smaller gem countered, "You had plenty of patience then."

"Well, that's different. And I wasn't exactly patient, so much as persistent."

"Even so, take a page from that. When the week is up, you will be going through the steps you will have to take, and memorizing things you never thought about. Let the work wait until then." Pearl suggested, "This may be punishment being here, or you could see it as a break from everything that's about to come."

"A break?" Orange parroted, surprised by just how much she liked the thought.

"You'll have gems you never met constantly in your space, your fellow diamond's, ceremonies, you'll be back to training, and there will be little time for much else. So, I propose you take this chance to just...breath."

"I won't be in this room for much longer." Orange agreed, head tilted down and eyebrows pinched as she gave it serious thought, "And I do have some things to do, with these pads Iris brought me." Orange looked back up at Pearl, a small smile gracing her lips as she met her lighter colored eyes, "Have you gotten to see it?"

"The ledger?" Pearl questioned, waiting as Orange nodded her head in affirmation, "No, I'm not privy to such things."

"Well, you are with me. Look." Orange turned, picking up the copper pad once more, activating it and allowing Pearl to see the list of numerous gem designations, none really sticking out to her, but it had been the quantity Orange had been interested in showing her anyway. "All these gems are going to be mine. I can't believe it. I mean," Orange paused her scrolling to look to Pearl, "I'm sure it's tiny in comparison to the others, but just look at it. All these gems, they're going to be stationed under me."

Pearl nodded, taking the open pad from her and scrolling herself. A few gems she knew personally, if distantly, glad that she would know Orange had at least a few competent gems to work with. But there were so many, a lot that there was simply no way she could know them, or ever cared enough to remember them. Complete strangers, being thrown together to start the beginning of a new court, mere structural pillars until Orange could make her own gem to lay the real foundation of her own court. "It must be alarming for you."

"What is?" Orange blinked, confused.

"To suddenly have these gems you don't know with you." Pearl responded, motioning to the pad still in her hand, "You're going to be on your own in your palace. Will you be alright?"

"I'm going to be on my own?" Orange repeated, her eyes widening as she considered this, and the real implications behind Pearl's word.

"Don't think about it like that," Pearl said, attempting to quickly tapper off that line of thought she could see the younger gem delving into, "think, you're getting the space you wanted."

"I..." Orange covered her face with her hands, shoulders tense and voice muffed by her palms as she admitted "I'm scared, Pearl."

Closing the pad, Pearl turned to her, reaching up to place a comforting hand on the Diamond's arm, "Orange? Look at me."

"Why am I in such a rush to do everything?" Orange's hands fell away from her face, moving out in a quick gesture that knocked the smaller gem's hand from her arm, "I never even thought about it like that. I knew I had to question their loyalty, but I'm going to be alone. Besides the Topazes and Iris, I probably won't know anyone there. How am I supposed to trust any of them?"

"You'll have a Pearl." She answered, "You will have her. And you'll see me, when we can. And your Carnelians." Pearl offered the younger gem a small smile of comfort, "You're going to talk White into giving them to you, remember?"

"Heh." Orange chuckled weakly, hands falling to her sides as she shrugged, "I guess."

Stepping to her, Pearl placed her hand in her own, squeezing it as she spoke, "I did not mean to ruin your excitement."

"You didn't." Orange eventually breathed out, relaxing as she accepted a hug from her, pulling her close as she continued to speak, "I'm glad you said something, at least you were here instead of me being alone and realizing it."

Pulling back, Pearl smiled before offering the closed pad back to the diamond, who took it, staring at the copper cover with the four diamonds emblazoned across it.

Giving it a little shake, Orange motioned her head towards it as she looked back to Pearl, "I still have to go over these, and get them back to Iris."

"I will see it's returned to her, when your ready."

"Do you have the full night cycle to yourself?"

"I should."

"Will you stay?" Orange questioned, "I could use some good company."

Pearl smiled, "I had no other plans but to see you."

"Come," Orange held out her arm for her to take as she motioned behind her, "sit with me, and we can look together."

Pearl followed Orange, arms linked as she was lead, not towards their normal spot near the windows, but for the end of the bed, where Orange sat down, leaning her large frame against it for support. "I see things have been cleaned."

"Pumice do great work." Orange grinned, "Thank you, by the way."

"For?"

"Contacting my Agate. And explaining what was going on." Orange added, "You've helped me more than you know."

Pearl smiled, kneeling down to take the spot next to her. "I'm glad to help."

"Here." Orange lifted her arm, motioning for Pearl to rest her head against her chest, waiting but a moment as she hesitated before leaning against her, adjusting her legs to accommodate the new angle as she nestled herself against the diamond's side.

"You're going to fall asleep like this." Pearl noted, already seeing the young diamond relaxing more against the bed as she pulled her a bit closer to her.

"Nah..." Orange said as a small yawn escaped her mouth, the diamond grinning sheepishly down at her, "well, Maybe."

"You don't sleep as much as you should." Pearl chastised lightly.

"Maybe I'm outgrowing it?" Orange offered as a counter.

"Or, you're pushing yourself. Your health is important."

"I know." Orange agreed, "Maybe I am a little tired, but it's fine. Right now, let me just concentrate on you. Why don't you tell me about your day?"

"My day isn't as exciting as you think."

Orange leaned her cheek against the top of Pearl's head, enjoying the new found closeness between them. "Try me."

-------------------------

Even though Orange had agreed to call it a break, the cycles still felt like they dragged on with nothing much to fill the voids her routines had given her. Another visit from Iris, this time accompanied by Pearl, was the only real switch in her schedule. The pads of data that had been given to her the only real source of entertainment during the day before Pearl would join her if she could.

The pad from White, unsurprisingly, was simply more material for her to learn. As if nothing had happened, or was happening, she was still expected to continue her studies.

Beyond what White had given her, she had taken to the different pads for a different kind of distraction, taking an interest in the ones that were collaborations done to present her with information, readying her for a fledgling court she didn't even have yet.

As asked, she refrained from demanding to see White, even though every time she eyed the roster of gems that would be heres until she finally gave it back to her Agate to keep, she could not help but note the spaces where Five and Seven should be listed. She hadn't bothered to tell them either. Not that she had gotten the roster, or that they weren't on it. She didn't want to get their hopes up by telling them she planned to speak with White, nor did she want to crush them by telling them they hadn't been chosen in the first place. If she had to let them down, she only wanted to do it once, and she simply didn't know what to do besides keep it to herself.

After days mostly spent alone, with only her thoughts and unchanging pads, the day she had been anticipating had come.

Freshly released from her room, Orange stood in one of the unused rooms with floor to ceiling windows, overlooking the opposite side of the place from her wing, giving her an astounding view of the Diamond's square, as well as the three other Diamond's palaces around it, their colors standing out amongst the buildings surround them.

Flanked by the Carnelians, who also seemed to be enjoying the change in scenery, she nearly pressed her face to the glass, staring in anticipation as she watched the brightly colored hand ship descend from the clouds, making a short circuit around the golden building before docking, fingers going limp as it was powered down.

Orange's face lit up at the sight, having waited in the room simply to witness the moment with her own eyes, feelings of excitement and joy filling her as laughter bubbled out of her as she exclaimed, "Yellow's home!"

-------------------------

Author's Note: The next chapter will include the schedule and date for the 3rd Diamond bomb event (pretty much a week straight of chapter updates daily), as well as links (DeviantArt and Tumblr) to the special 23 page promo comic for the DiamondBomb, so look for that when it comes out.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

2.1M 111K 63
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader ┕ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
980K 53.2K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...
275K 9.4K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. ━ Lando Norris x Fem!OC © KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
481K 10.1K 37
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.