The Queen's Red Lake

By SkylarJapera

Hal Ashes is banished to Red Water, a mysterious town, to live with her grandmother. Naive to her surrounding... More

I
II
III
IIII
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX

XVIII

437 35 0
By SkylarJapera

I lay in bed and stare up at the ceiling that must be twenty feet high. I inhale and exhale, breathing in the plants that are surrounding the room. Vases of a Silverleaf, Golden milkweeds and other plants that I cannot name and is not allowed to touch reminds me of someone I don't want to think about.

The door to the room open and I shut my eyes and pretend to sleep.

"Get up."

I peek my eyes open and Sasha is in her battle gear, minus her sword. She peers over at her plants and examines them closely before moving one away from the sunlight and another closer to the sunlight. I lift up and Sasha glances at me. "It's time for you to go back home." She tells me.

I frown. "You said I can crash here."

Sasha shrugs, "It's been ten days. I've buried Eliza peacefully—" She clears her throat. She looks at me with a scowl. "I want my room back."

I roll my eyes, "Fine. Whatever."

"Plus." Sasha pushes. "Queen wants to speak with you."

"I don't want to talk to her." I spat.

"You respect your Elders." Sasha reminds me. She finally looks away from her plants and goes into her closet before tossing me an outfit similar to hers but without the phoenix symbol. "Queen will not stop nagging me until she sees you. Get dress." She commands. "Queen and I were able to defend why you missed Eliza memorial however, you are important now and there are responsibilities that come with winning the solo battle and having high status."

I roll my eyes but begin to change. Sasha glances at me as I remove my shirt. She turns away and heads for the door. "You also need to eat." She then slams the door behind her. I run my hand over my face in frustration.

It doesn't take long before I'm walking the halls of K level. It is odd staying here but I'm comfortable and away from all the chaos within the town. I meet Sasha by the elevators and she's staring at Eliza statue. Her eyes finally meet mine and I ask, "Could we go the back way?"

"No." Sasha answers and the elevator door slide open. I inhale and step inside and the ride down makes me anxious. "You will get your new uniform soon. It will hold the dragon symbol."

I nod my head but I'm really not listening. The elevators door slide open and the entire hall becomes silent. Sasha holds her head high and steps out first. I follow behind her. I squeeze onto the dagger that rests on my hip for comfort. I stay close behind Sasha and keep my eyes away from all of the on-lookers. We are almost at the door but luck is not on my side.

Javier meet my eyes first and he calls my name, "Hal." This result in the others turning around. Sakiya stares at me with anger and disgust in her eyes. I squeeze the hilt of my dagger tighter and continue out the school doors behind Sasha.

We decide to walk to Queen's cafe and I freeze. Sasha gives me a moment before she is pushing the door open. The bell rings above us and the Elder's including my grandmother turn toward us.

"You're late." Ford is the first to speak.

Sasha does not give him the satisfaction of responding. She chooses to stand by the wall and I stick next to her. Ford's face is still badly bruised even after ten days.

"What are we up against, exactly?" A tall man I recognize from Kalahari speaks. "Faye has returned and no one seems to know her plans." He looks toward Ford. "Your nephew Dimitri, he is responsible for all of this. What ties does he have with Faye?"

"I don't know." Ford snarls. "That boy has always been a disappointment. However, I would have never thought he was apart of something so evil—"

I squeeze my fist, annoyed.

The man clasps his hand behind his back. "The throne is empty and one of the most powerful witches of all time has returned to your town." He snarls. "We did not choose you all to become Elder's to fail. We do not fail."

"I don't think you have the right to point the finger, Eldritch." Ford spats and stand on his bad leg. "You allowed Elijah to murder Eliza right under your nose!"

Eldritch eyes blaze in rage and even Sasha stiffens beside me. The room becomes thick with tension but Queen interferes her voice soft but commanding. "No one saw any of this coming." She speaks her eye twitching as she makes eye contact with all the Elders in the room. "Faye is still powerless or she would have made her move by now. We need to focus on finding her. She shouldn't be far."

Ford smack his lips and lean on his cane. "Put, the champion and Sasha on the mission. We have more important matters to attend."

"You do not command me." Sasha speaks, her voice booming like thunder but calm as the wind. It reminds me of Eliza.

Ford smack his lip in disdain.

Sasha doesn't give anyone time to say anything more because she is walking out of the cafe. I chew on my bottom lip, awkwardly and choose to follow her. I find Sasha sitting on one of the nearby benches. Her jaw is clenched tight and her knuckles are white from squeezing them so tightly. I sit next to her and the wind blows softly against our skin. The trees sway and the sun shines down brightly warming our faces.

Sasha stares off into the distance and before I could open my mouth to say anything Queen is coming from around the building. Sasha rolls her eyes before storming off. "Sasha, wait." I call for her.

Queen grabs my shoulder and I turn in anger. Her hair is pinned up on the top of her head and she's putting more weight on her cane—staff than usual. I give her entire body a once over and cock my head to the side confused, "Why are you not fully healed?"

"The healer's spells are not powerful enough to heal her dark assaults," Queen explains. "We are basically mortal against her."

There is a long pause and I take notice to how she doesn't call her by her name.

"There is so much to explain." Queen starts.

"Now you want to explain—" I snarl. "Why should I trust anything you say?"

"I was protecting you—" Queen starts but I cut her off.

"No!" I scream. "You were protecting yourself."

"Do not raise your voice at me." Queen hisses her eye twitching. "Everything I do is to protect you." Queen inhale and exhale. "Please. Just come by tonight. We will have dinner and I will tell you everything. I promise."

I back away, "I'll think about it. Sasha needs me now."

Queen look past my shoulder where Sasha disappeared moments ago. "She will not grieve. If she does she will have to accept that her friend is gone." Queen pulls me into a hug and I want to push her away but her smell invades my senses and I can't come to hate her even though that's all I want to do. She kisses my forehead. "I love you."

I bite the inside of my cheek. I don't say it back. I won't say it. I'm angry and she deserves to feel what I'm feeling. This hollow emotion of not knowing who I am and this stab to the heart of being betrayed. I turn to leave and search the town for Sasha.

The sun is at its peak by the time I find her. I stop by a few shops and ask around before someone is pointing me in the direction of a local park. She is sitting on a swing and she looks so—normal. It's odd. I approach slowly and she looks up before rolling her eyes. "I wish to be alone." She tells me.

I ignore the eye-roll, sit on the swing next to her, and follow her gaze. There is another statue of Eliza. It's carved with skilled and stands tall with beauty.

"Eliza is dead." Sasha speaks. "Atlas is in a coma. I'm alone."

I want to say I'm here but I know that's not what she wants to hear. I'm probably the last person she wants to be around. "What do you want?" I ask.

She stands, "Revenge." She gazes at Eliza new statue one last time before walking away.

We head back toward the school property and I break the silence. "I'll just need my things and I will give you your space back."

"Finally." Sasha replies.

I roll my eyes, "If you didn't want me there then why did you offer?"

Sasha doesn't give me an answer.

We walk in silence through the tricky halls of the school and run into Javier and the others. I approach them, "Hey."

Javier gives me a weak smile.

Iris chooses to speak first, her voice calm as usual. "The Elders have called us in for questioning. I thought you should know."

I look at the rest of the group oddly, "What will you tell them?"

"Everything." Sakiya spats.

I freeze. "I'm sorry—I know Queen convinced you guys to keep your mouth closed."

"We will not be able to lie any longer." Iris explains sadly.

I look away, shameful. "I know— I'm sorry about Dimitri and everything—"

"Sorry." Sakiya chuckles darkly. "We warned you about him."

Before I could open my mouth Sakiya continues, "And let us not forget your demonic abilities and the fact Faye is your mother. We could go down for treason. I won't spend the rest of my life in prison for you, Dimitri, or your evil ass mother."

"Faye is not my mother." I snarl and Sakiya steps back in fear along with the others. I run my tongue over my teeth and I can feel the sharp fang there. I could only guess that my eyes were glowing purple. "Do what you want." I finish with a strong hiss.

Sasha leans on her hip and say, "You all have no loyalty."

The hall becomes dark and a figure moves within the shadow. Sasha presses me against the lockers away from the dark figure and I grunt in pain. The figure moves quickly and Javier screams as it enters his body through his mouth. Sasha didn't have her sword but she pulls a dagger from her boot.

"Javier." Iris scream but Sakiya and Zaria pull her back.

Javier open his eyes and they glow red. He cracks his neck and rolls his shoulder before making eye contact with me. I swallow. Finally, he opens his mouth and his voice is dark, dripping with evil.

"Queen is in danger."

Javier's mouth opens wide and the shadow moves out his body before disappearing within another shadow in the dark hall. Javier falls to the ground and Iris hurry to his body.

I look to Sasha and she nods her head. "I'll catch up. I need to grab, Athene."

I sprint out the front doors of the school and all the way across town before I'm pushing myself harder across the bridge. By now, the moon is high in the sky and the lake is red as blood. I finally make it to Queen's house and the door is kicked open. I squeeze onto my daggers tightly and enter the home slowly.

"Queen." I call but no one answers. "Grandma." I try again.

I step back just in time when a sword comes swinging in my face. The person leaps and I block the next assault, barely. I grunt and swing my daggers before kicking him in the chest. He soars backward and connects with the wall.

He gets back to his feet quickly, charge my way, and tackle me to the ground. We fall onto the polish wooden floors and he elbows me to the face. I flip us over and find my way on top before wrapping my hands around his throat. His eyes widen as I begin to squeeze the life out of him before his neck breaks.

I stand, wobble on my feet, and hold my bruised face. I hear someone creak behind me. I swing my dagger but it connects with a familiar sword. "It's me." Sasha says. She cocks her head to the side as she stares down at the lifeless body. "Guess you didn't need my help."

I ignore her comment and search the house for Queen. I find her nowhere and my heart begins to beat against my chest in panic. "Where is she?" I scream in anger. Sasha looks around the room more closely and she squats down before seeing a trail of blood disappear behind a wall. I follow her gaze in confusion and Sasha runs her hand up the wall before pushing.

The wall slides open which reveal another room. I gasp, surprised. Velvet curtains fall from the ceiling, cases of books take up most of the walls and a desk in the far corner. Sasha and I walk deeper inside and immediately we notice Queen's body on the floor. "Grandma!" I call. Queen's eyes flicker open and my hand puts pressure on the open gash in her lower stomach. I turn to Sasha. "Heal her!" I demand.

Sasha hovers her hand onto Queen's wound but it doesn't heal. "What's wrong?" I question. Queen shoves Sasha away and explains, "I'm still affected by her damn dark witchery." She grabs onto my chin and pulls my face closer. "Listen to me. Elijah and his followers did this. He is searching for the Sinister Key and now he has the map." Queen begins to cough up blood. I turn toward Sasha and order, "Go get help!"

Sasha hurries out the secret room and Queen forces me to look at her, "You cannot let him find the key. He will open a portal to the Underworld." She explains. "Gateway to Hell. He will do anything to bring his parents, souls, back. Even if it means making a deal with the Keeper."

I shake my head in confusion, "I don't understand—Faye visions. She has spoke of the key—"

"Don't trust her." Queen spats. "You cannot trust anyone—not even the Elders." Queen coughs up blood and her eyes flicker, "Soon, the Elders will find out everything. I do not regret a thing. I love you, Hal Ashes." She squeezes me tight before her eyes slide closed.

Something moves behind me and I turn my dagger.

It's Dimitri.

I blink away my tears and look up at him in disgust and anger.

He stands in different armor that has a metal faceguard that leaves his brown eyes exposed, a leather jacket that has metal protection in his lower arms and shoulders, and leather black pants that disappear in his black strapped boots. He walks further into the room and the black boots echo on the floor. He removes the metal faceguard that reveals his entire face He looks saddened, "I'm sorry." He apologizes.

"I don't want nor need your apology." I hiss.

He exhales and his features are unreadable. "I apologize for not warning you sooner. Queen has always been nice to me, when no one was." He pauses. "However, I will not apologize for bringing your mother back. She is not the enemy."

"She's not my mom." I snap.

Dimitri exhale, "I shouldn't have lied. I won't ever lie to you again."

"Fuck you."

"I promise—" Dimitri places the metal guard back on his face. He walks closer, bends down, and pull a tube from his pocket. "This will heal her but the spell will take time." His voice sounds different behind the metal guard. I don't like it. I don't like this new Dimitri. "Faye wishes Queen dead but, I don't want the same things."

"What does Faye want?" I question while pouring the liquid down Queen's throat. Her eyes flicker open for a second before shutting back.

Dimitri stands, "Her daughter's love." He pauses. "And more importantly—the Crown."

"Of course." I roll my eyes. "It's always about power."

"It is hers as much as it is yours." Dimitri says teleporting within the shadows and appearing closer to the desk in the corner.

"What are you?" I question, intrigued.

"Shadow-Walker." He answers. "Faye gave me the ability to hide in the shadows. I am her spy. With her blood, I became stronger. I have the ability to travel through the shadow world." He moves his hand and a dark figure travels within the air. "Occasionally, I'm able to create my own shadows." It vanishes. "I'm still working on it."

"You possessed Javier's body?" I ask.

Dimitri nods his head rapidly. "It took meditation and a spell to be able to do that." His eyes are bright and brown with excitement as he explains his ability to me. It reminds me of the old Dimitri who wanted my acceptance and craved my attention.

"Hal." Someone screams my name in the distance.

Dimitri vanishes within the shadows at the sound of my voice. Sasha storms into the room with the healers behind her. She approaches me, squeezes my shoulder, and whispers, "She is strong." I chew onto the bottom of my lip and watch as the healers take Queen away.

The hospital room is dull. I sit in the nearby chair and watch Queen sleep. The healers have concluded that she is trapped in a dreamless state. "Basically, a coma." I asked them while rolling my eyes. They left hours ago leaving the two of us alone. I yawn in my hand and stare at the cream walls and the massive flowers that gave the room some life and color. The town of Red Water loved Queen and many people left cards, bears, and flowers to show their respect.

I don't remember falling asleep but when I blink my eyes open the sunlight is shining through the thin curtains and I have a cramp in my neck. I move my body out of the awkward position and stretch my limbs before yawning in my hand. When I turn I almost jump out of my skin at the person who is standing by Queen's bed.

"Hal." I swallow at the voice I have not heard in months. "What have I told you about leaving your guard down. Have you learnt nothing?"

I look up in brown eyes that match my own. "Father."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

865 27 32
Angels and demons, the classic dichotomy of good and evil. It's easy to leave it at that, but have you ever met one or the other? If you could, would...
114K 3.8K 54
What if your family made a deal with demons of the night and now they've come back to collect on that IOU? What if you are the IOU? Evelyn has finall...
20.7K 571 33
Some people are more unlucky than others, Evelyn knows this more than most, after being kidnapped from her house she finds herself at the mercy of cr...
143K 5.5K 47
Books 1& 2 of The Reckoning For thousands of years Lucifer has been waiting to rule humanity. When he finally discovers the sign that his time is nig...