The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

A Plague of Lies

1.3K 56 7
By Skipology

Khaana stood before the gates of the fortress of Bebbanburg, she took the form of the steed and upon her back sat not Uhtred but Brida.

They stood at Uhtred's back as he rose high the head of Scallion. Alefric watched them from the battlements.

"I am Uhtred of Bebbanburg! And I will take what is mine!" Uhtred shouted.

Brida gripped at Khaana's mane "Easy, Brida." Khaana spoke to her mind. "I have been placed with you, you will be safe child. " She said. Brida gave a nod as Uhtred tore off back for the woods as Alefric ordered his men to ring him Uhtred.

Khaana and Brida followed.

"Khaana, keep Brida safe, I shall get them off of our trail." Uhtred called as they slowed near steep hills between the trees. "Of course." Khaana hummed ridding fast deeper into the trees.

Meanwhile Uhtred made himself busy, tying long branches to his horses tail to sweep clean the hoofmarks. While Khaana's steps made no mark in the earth his earthly mount did.

"We shouldn't have done this, Khaana." Brida said as she let Khaana take her deeper within the trees. "We should be out there seeking Ubba, we tell him what happened and we let him avenge Earl Ragnar." Brida said quietly.

"Ubba, cares more for wealth and women than the honor of a fallen allie. Earl Ragnar died fighting with a sword in his hand...while burning in flames set by saxons..."

"And danes! Khaana! Trators he needs to know." Brida shouted.

"Interrupt me again, and I shall flick you from my back. Understand me?" Khaana said in a slow calm. Brida scowled but fell silent.

"In Ubba's eyes Earl Ragnar died a good death. The fairness of it does not matter. Kjartan came and he took, from his own? What does it matter to the sort of Dane that Ubba is. Earl Ragnar, was a man who valued honor, in his own way, yet in still he did." Khaana sighed heavily hot air blowing from her nostrils.

"You grew up under his ways of life, passed down from his father Ravn. Ravn though a mighty warrior in his day and very wise, was gentler than most...not by much yet still. You must understand, Earl Ragnar is not Ubba. Nor any other Lord or Master among Danes, Earl Ragnar was different." Khaana said.

"So what do we do now? Who do we turn to then? If not Ubba? Say you are right? If you are with us Ubba will listen to us. You were sent here to serve Earl Ragnar and his blood and Uhtred is his son." Brida reasoned.

Khaana chuckled "my child your eyes are disillusioned by the romantics of the Danes. Ubba will take me, he will shake me to that fraud of a seer Storri and he will use me. Osbert was Earl Ragnar's son, but you - you were his slave, a well treated one, but a slave nonetheless. As was I. Ubba won't care for you beyond your privates, bosom and healthy womb." She said.

Brida waked Khaana's neck "its not true!" She cried.

"He would use you as he would use me, but your usefulness would end sooner, then you'd be slain or left to die. And Osbert would die if only to defend your pride." Khaana continued.

Silence took over, and lasted for a long while until she heard Brida sniffle.

"So what then?" Brida asked masking her cracking voice in a cold tone. "Will you abandon them, will you tell us to leave them all - after all Earl Ragnar did for you. After all Sigrid did, Young Ragnar?" Brida asked her.

Khaana spotted Uhtred coming up the slope "I know of those to which I am bound. Ragnar is safe across the sea, Osbert is the last child of Earl Ragnar. I will see that he is safe in the memory of both his fathers. And You Brida have been in my care all these years. You slept in the barns with me, you ate of extra scraps I brought you. You are mine Brida. I will not take either of you into harm." Khaana's voice was hollow and Brida coukd hear anger slipping through.

"This loss was not alone on the shoulders of the children." Khaana whispered.

He'd beaten her, he'd kicked her and sometimes she loathed him. Yet, Earl Ragnar was her only hope of vengence against the Saxon kings of England who bound her in irons in acts far more heathenistic than that of Pagans. It may have died with him, Young Ragnar was enthusiastic about seeking said vengence with her, yet - he was no warlord, not yet.

Nor was he there.

"So we do whatever Uhtred says?" Brida asked her.

"No, you hide and wait and trust me. You set up camp and then I must away for a few days." Khaana said.

"Must away? Why to were?" Uhtred asked. Khaana looked up at him in shock, she'd only linked the connection to Brida.

"You heard me?" She asked.

"I did, I always do why so suprised? " He asked. "Because I spoke only to Brida - you are casting lines into my thoughts on your own." Khaana said.

Uhtred smiled "a feat only Ubba has managed - haha." He laughed.

"It is not funny." Khaana grummbled. "Yes it is, you can no longer keep secrets from your pup Khaana." Uhtred chuckled.

"Stop it, this is no time for this. Khaana why leave us?" Brida asked.

"Its only for a time, there are things I must see and relay." Khaana said. "How long?" Uhtred asked.

"No more than three days." Khaana said quickly. "Why even ask me?" Uhtred asked. Khaana sat, sliding Brida off her back she then took to her true form.

She grasped the alabaster beads around her neck and stood before Uhtred. "Because this holds me bound to any and every oath I give. I pledge service to Earl Ragnar. He is gone and while Young Ragnar still lives, he is very far. You are Earl Ragnar's son, so now I serve...you." Khaana explained.

Uhtred shook his head "no, you are my friend you serve no one, I will remove that thing from you." Uhtred said reaching out a hand he grasped the necklace.

With a jolt, Uhtred quickly pulled away as the skin of his palm blistered. "It cannot be removed," She said, carefully taking Uhtred's hand she stole from him the burns and he watched her hand blister.

"Then go, but you don't have to ask me. You may not be free but I say you can do as you please. Just...come back, and tell me should you go." Uhtred said.

Khaana smiled and gave his head a pat. "I always return, Osbert. Let's find you two a place to settle so I may take my leave. The soon I can return the better." She said.

"You never explained why she calls you Osbert? Even still." Brida asked as she got onto Uhtred's horse behind him.

He laughed silently and grinned "I still have no answers to that question myself." He said.

Khaana smirked from were she lead them through the trees. "Because you are still the little runt to me, Osbert." She called back. "The runt you now serve?" He shot pack playfully.

Uhtred looked over his shoulder to Brida with a grin "She is happy." He said. "Odd all considering." Brida muttered. "You do not understand, now she can walk as herself, not a mutt or a horse or anything else unless she pleases." Uhtred said.

He watch Khaana walk ahead of them, her pace swift, he'd wondered if she'd start jogging.

"She has wanted this for a long time, almost a long as..." Uhtred stopped. Brida did not yet know of Khaana's stolen wings and he was not sure he should mention it.

_________________________________

After miles of travel Khaana, Uhtred and Brida came to a halt. Khaana could feel the hair on her arms bristle and her nose burned. "I can taste the air." Brida said carefully looking about the light fog.

"It smells rank, take care." Khaana murmured.

Glancing to Uhtred, Khaana quietly slipped off the clear path and into the trees, watching carefully as He and Brida moved forward.

They came to a small village, it had been sacked and not a live soul could be seen. Brida and Uhtred dismounted their horse and moved as silently as they could.

A single arrow flew from one of the wrecked houses. It cute trough the stillness and just missed Uhtred.

Brida moved out of view and with slow careful movements Uhtred closed in on the direction the arrow came from.

The fog and mist started to thicken, Khaana poured the illusion across the small village until it was shrouded in white. Uhtred took cover in it, but another arrow shot out blindly.

Khaana took up a stone and hurled it in the direction the arrow was shot from, a lone man dodged. Feeling that his cover was blown he took a chance and wandered into the mist.

Khaana eased the fog to allow Uhtred to see his target, but as the mist started to clear, Uhtred found himself gazing at the head of the arrow held ready to fire.

To the suprise of all around, an axe was silently flung through the air, and the bowman fell on his face to the ground. His body twitching as he hollared from the hatchet lodged in his spine.

Khaana looked up to find Brida hidden no small distance behind where the bowman had stood, and couldn't help but smile in pride. She clapped silently in praise.

Brida and Uhtred were quick to suround the injured bowman.

"What happened here?" Uhtred asked.

"I-I can't move..." groaned the Bowman.

Brida strode next to him, leaning over she ripped her axe from his spine. "You're back is broken." She stated dryly, going to stand behind Uhtred.

Khaana slipped out from the trees and started to examine the ruined village, ears keen on thier conversation.

"I will ask again, what happened?" Uhtred questioned, kneeling down to speak to the fallen man. "Answer me and I will end it." Uhtred offered.

"We were attacked." The Bowman said.

"By who?" Uhtred asked.

"Danes..." said the bowman.

"You lie? Why would Danes sack one of the Saxon villages that feeds them? There was peace, by agreement with the king." Uhtred said.

Khaana rummaged through what was left in the homes, stables and sheds. She filled potato sacks fill of her findings.

"A Saxon slave, killed his master and a wedding party in the night as they slept. They hunt him and thought maybe he was hid here." the bowman said through pained breaths.

Uhtred glanced back at Brida, and Khaana made her way back sacks filled with furs, food, and useful items that could be sold - even if at a meager price. This was only a village of farmers.

Khaana tossed a small pouch in the air and caught it, it clinked and jingled softly. "He speaks the truth, whoever was here, was here with purpose. They have left most plunder untouched." Khaana said.

She tossed the small pouch to Brida who caught it, giving it a shake "silver." Brida said before carefully pocketing it away.

"What was the name of this Saxon slave?" Brida asked.

"U-Uhtred...they called him Uhtred." The Bowman said.

Uhtred exhaled and stood up, pacing about. "End it." Pled the Bowman.

Uhtred looked to Khaana "can you heal him?" He asked. Khaana looked down at the man suffering in the dirt. "No, I don't heal, I take and to take this is beyond a wound. A broken back, it is an affliction - permanent. " Khaana said.

Uhtred nodded and took out his dagger, moving swiftly to cut back the pain, he stuck the man at the base of his spine and the Bowman's life slipped away.

"Go ahead say it." Uhtred sighed.

Brida shrugged "say what?" She asked with a sharp tongue.

"What you are thinking." Uhtred muttered.

Brida narrowed her eyes a bit and crossed her arms. "I am thinking you were born with a turd were your brain was meant to be." She said.

Uhtred chuckled and looked up at her "thank you." He said.

"We should have gone to tell Ubba the story as soon as it happened." Brida said watching as Khaana went to fetch the horse, leading one of the now abandoned horses behind her.

"So we do it now." Uhtred said.

"Now there is another story, if we we go to Ubba bow he will believe the first story he heard and he will kill you." Brida said.

The two fell silent.

"If you could write we could write him.." She said. Thinking on her words she cracked a small smile "heh...if he could read..." She snickered.

Uhtred chuckled as well. "Fine...we've no other choice, we do as Khaana says...we will go to Ubba's lands. And wait a bit for Khaana if her plan doesn't work...we try Ubba." Brida said.

Khaana lead the horses to them, she loaded up the bags onto Uhtred's horse. "You've lots of provisions now. And a few silver coins. I must leave you to find place to rest. Dealing with the bowman has wasted much time. Time we do not have." Khaana said.

Brida and Uhtred looked to each other. She'd never been away from them longer than at most a couple of hours, ever since they were but children.

"Khaana," Uhtred called, Khaana turn. "Don't whimper now runt." She chuckled. Uhtred bumped his forehead to hers. "How will you find us?" He asked.

Khaana tapped the corner of her eye. "I have eyes across the land, Osbert." She said with a smirk.

Khaana could feel her hair shift and hear the sound of a blade tearing through it.

Turning she spotted Brida tucking the lock of hair into her her shirt. Khaana held out her hand expectantly while Brida cut a short strand of her own hair.

"Here, for luck...Uhtred, give your some of yours." Brida said placing her hair in Khaana's hand.

Uhtred did as told and handed the lock of hair over.

Khaana chuckled and Brida glared "I-I'm not worried or anything. It's just we all could use a bit of luck right now." Brida stammered.

"Mother bear is leaving and you are scared. " Uhtred chuckled. "I am not. It's just...we'll we could ask the gods to watch her. But they're the ones who punished her right? So we just give her a bit of extra luck. It's not safe - many of the Dane lords know of Khaana. And may try to keep her." Brida went on.

"They fear her, there is nothing to worry about. I'd say we need the luck more than she." Uhtred laughed.

"Oh stop it. Nevermind then..." Brida muttered.

Khaana pet the top of their heads "I am grateful either way. Now go, we must part. I will find you - in 3 days, it should be only a day after you've reached Ubba's lands. Stay on unworn ground, if there is a path or trail it is not safe." She said.

The two nodded, and mounted their horses. Khaana stood and watched them head into the trees until they had vanished.

Khaana inhaled deeply and released it. She looked up to the sky. Her thoughts mapping out what she now needed to do.

First and foremost, she needed to tell Ragnar his father was dead. That he was no longer 'The Younger" just simply Ragnar. Long with that news that his family as a whole had been slaughtered in his absence.

She did not want to be the Herald of such news, she wasn't sure she could take his reaction. With their bind of blood and bone, his grief would pour into her as if she were an empty cup. Even still, for word to reach him by any other would be unkind.

After bringing news to Ragnar, Khaana would have to seek out the Dane lords on her own and find out two things.

One how bad was th story of Uhtred killing Earl Ragnar. Word travels fast and it all too often becomes stretched. The worse the tale the harder it would be to stay safe and hidden, it would also make seeking a Lord to take them in harder.

Which was the second thing Khaana had to find out. Was there a lord among the Danes who would take in two Dane raised Saxon's into their service?

She could spin lies and gain the lords favor bribe them with promise of her power for sanctuary for Uhtred and Brida. But she would not put her trust in the goodwill of a warlord. It was equally as likely that they take her captive and slay both Uhtred and Brida.

Khaana needed to spy and gather intel.

Stealing her nerves, she headed into the trees. She couldn't waste anymore time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21 4 6
In the wake of her Mam's death, Krystal Monarain has turned to escapism, throwing herself into the fantastic stories she was told as a child and the...
37.8K 654 19
Chaotic, Coldhearted, Evil. Raven black hair, ice blue eyes and a devilish stare that could freeze everything she had in sight. Njorun Noraide, Katte...
17.5K 505 45
Part one of The Mรณrrigan's Wolf series, a The Last Kingdom Fanfic Series. Featuring Finan and a female OC Faoladhean (FAY-luh-yin) is part of one of...
309K 23.9K 74
War A word that should inflict fear and terror is seen as the new normal. Kharis is a slave in the castle of Leonidas of Bethillore, Supreme commande...