HOMESICK - 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘢𝘭𝘬𝘪...

By -abrahams

NEVER LET THEM TAKE THE LIGHT BEHIND YOUR EYES More

𝐇𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐂𝐊
𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐘𝐋𝐈𝐒𝐓
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄
𝟎𝟎𝟎 | AS SHE KNEW IT
𝟎𝟎𝟏 | DEMOCRACY OF MERLE DIXON
𝟎𝟎𝟐 | THROUGH THE SEWERS
𝟎𝟎𝟑 | HIGHWAY HOME
𝟎𝟎𝟒 | BACK TO KANSAS
𝟎𝟎𝟔 | CLOSING IN
𝟎𝟎𝟕 | FIVE LIVES FOR ONE
𝟎𝟎𝟖 | GOOD INTENTIONS
𝟎𝟎𝟗 | THE SURVIVAL CRITERIA
𝟎𝟏𝟎 | GUILTY CONSCIENCE
𝟎𝟏𝟏 | GUILLERMO
𝟎𝟏𝟐 | PEACEFUL SOLUTIONS
𝟎𝟏𝟑 | FATHER DEAREST
𝟎𝟏𝟒 | GROWING GRAVEYARD
𝟎𝟏𝟓 | JUST ANOTHER CASUALTY
𝟎𝟏𝟔 | A BIT OF FAITH
𝟎𝟏𝟕 | ALL THAT REMAINS
𝟎𝟏𝟖 | LONG LOST
𝟎𝟏𝟗 | TEST SUBJECT
𝟎𝟐𝟎 | DECONTAMINATION
𝟎𝟐𝟏 | MATTER OF TIME
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎

𝟎𝟎𝟓 | TO THOSE WE'VE LOST

1.2K 54 83
By -abrahams

THERE WAS NO adjusting to the new camp, even after all this time. Mya had never really found much comfort of sleeping in a world like this, especially in the same tent as her father. It wasn't as if Ed gave her the time of day anymore, unless, of course, he wanted something from her or he wanted to insult her. What put her mind at ease though, was being able to make sure Sophia and her mother were safe as they slept, that was the only reason she didn't change tents. She probably would've started bunking with Glenn weeks ago if it wasn't for them.

Raindrops pattered on the fabric of the tent, growing louder as sleep attempted to claim Mya. It was no use, she wouldn't get any rest tonight. Not in this tent, not when her mind was still racing with thoughts of the family she'd left behind and the redneck still on the roof in Atlanta.

Cautiously, Mya slipped out of the tight embrace of her younger sister, who looked so safe and at peace in her sleep, carefully unzipping the tent. The rain hit her instantly, cooling her down as they did so. Standing up straight, Mya contemplated going into the RV, maybe reading a book and trying not to wake Dale or Jim, that was until she saw Shane sat on top of it, only a baseball cap to protect him from the downpour. He hadn't noticed her exit her tent.

Being sure not to draw any unwanted attention to herself, Mya gently hauled herself up the ladder. "Any room under that umbrella?" She whispered to get Shane's attention.

Shane gripped his gun tightly, almost pointing it at Mya before relaxing, "Dammit, Mya, I thought you were a geek." He told her, his frustration exiting his mind just as soon as it had entered, she hadn't meant to scare him after all, "Almost shot you."

After the gun had been lowered, Mya sat down next to Shane, "Geeks don't climb up ladders." She assured him, before pausing as she doubted herself. The idea of geeks being able to climb up ladders made her shudder, "I don't think." She corrected.

Letting out a soft chuckle, Shane nodded slightly. He seemed more relaxed than he had been earlier, that was a good sign, right? "What did you want, anyway?" He asked her.

"Couldn't sleep. You need any help keeping watch?" She asked him, offering him a comforting smile. Sure, she wasn't much good in a longe range fight, but it'd be better to have more eyes than one. If she couldn't sleep, she may as well do something useful instead.

Shane glanced down at his own weaponry, "You even know how to shoot a gun?" He asked.

Rolling her eyes at his callous attitude, Mya shook her head truthfully. "No, but an extra pair of eyes never hurt anyone." She added on before gently swinging her legs back and forth off of the roof of the RV, "Besides, you seem like you need someone to talk to."

"What d'you mean?" Shane asked her. He raised an eyebrow, signalling his confusion, however, Mya noticed him hurriedly look away. As if he was embarrassed, he knew exactly what she was talking about, he just wasn't comfortable with it.

Mya sighed softly, attempting to find the easiest way to address the subject, there really was no easy way. "Shane, I know you and Lori.. Had something." She told him, the words felt wrong in her mouth, like she knew she shouldn't be talking about it. She gently touched his arm, in hopes to reassure him, "Don't worry though, secret's safe with me."

Almost as soon as the words left her mouth, Shane's shoulders slouched, "That obvious, huh?" He asked her. Mya wondered whether she was the only one who had noticed it or whether others had seen the same small things that she, too, had.

She smiled sadly, "You look at her like she's the only thing that matters to you." 

Shane seemed ashamed with his actions, which made sense, considering how close he had mentioned he was to Rick, "Yeah.. How are you dealing with everything?" He questioned, brushing off any mention of his relationship with Lori.

It was Mya's turn to lower her head. It was a difficult question with a difficult answer, "I can't stop thinking about Faith." She admitted, wringing her hands as she brought up her daughter's name. She'd do anything to get Faith back. "Seeing Rick find his family again, gives me hope.. Y'know? Maybe I'll find my daughter."

"You said your husband was.. Is used to living off the land?" Shane recalled, quickly correcting himself. Just the word 'was' practically knocked Mya sick. She couldn't imagine losing the only person who had ever loved her as much as she'd loved them. "Surviving, shooting guns?"

She figured it was better she let it slide, she couldn't think about losing Gareth, "Yeah." Mya chuckled softly, "Total survivalist. Guess that's what a military dad'll do to you. Maybe it's a good thing though." She assumed.

Shane nodded in agreement, "Sounds like he stands a better chance than anybody. I'm sure he'd protect Faith too, maybe just as much as you would." He told her, reassuring her. Better than she had reassured him.

Despite the hope she'd been given. Mya buried her head in her hands. The military, people who had trained to fight, they were dropping like flies. Nobody was safe. "I don't know anymore, it's been months since this whole thing got started." She mumbled through her hands, "I just.. Shit, I miss them so much and everything with my mom and Sophia is terrible. I just want to protect them from.. Him." She ranted.

Shane sighed, "Hey, c'mere." He reached out, pulling Mya close so that she rested her head on his shoulder. She definitely needed a hug, that was for sure. "It's like you said, we'll figure it out, alright? You're not alone, Mya." He told her, repeating the words she had used back at the campfire when discussing Daryl and Merle.

Blinking back her tears, Mya nodded, "Neither are you." She added on, "That's what I came here to tell you. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to drag my issues into it."

Finally have the courage to look up, Mya turned her head to Shane, only to realising he was leaning in for a kiss. For just a moment, she contemplated kissing him back, only a moment before she remembered Gareth. It had only been a few months, he could be alive for all she knew, she couldn't. Shane seemed to realise this as he moved away at she same time as she did.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." He apologised immediately.

A brief rush of annoyance ran through her system, it didn't last. "It's fine." She stated, resting her hands in her lap and she turned back away again. She cleared her throat awkwardly, "We're both just lonely and scared out of our minds, I get that. But, Shane, as far as I know, I'm still married."

Shane nodded, once again, seeming embarrassed. The action had been impulsive on both their ends, but it shouldn't have happened. "I know." He paused, "Uh.. If you ever need to talk about that, I'm here for you."

"Yeah, same with you, but I should probably get back to my tent before anyone wakes up and realises that I'm gone." She responded, finding the strength to smile at him.

Shuffling over, Shane allowed Mya space to move and leave the roof, "Alright, you should get some rest." He told her, as she stood up, "If you insist on telling Daryl about Merle tomorrow, you're gonna need it." 

Gripping the ladder, Mya nodded, "Goodnight, Shane." She acknowledged before she climbed back down the ladder. The rain had now almost stopped completely.

Retreating to her tent, Mya ran through the situation in her head. One thing wouldn't leave her mind, the thought of her husband and daughter being out there somewhere. Maybe if she'd searched harder, maybe if she had gone back to Atlanta to find them, she'd be lying in a tent with them instead. Just maybe.

//

i'm slowly losing inspiration for these author's notes but HEY !!

i have no idea why i impulsively started writing this but here you go, this might be the shortest chapter for far since it's only 1400 ish words but it's only supposed to be a filler and ihopeidontgetmurderedforthatshanescene

thank u sm for reading though !! <33

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194K 6.6K 65
𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐢 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐡𝐢𝐦. 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐞�...
12.9K 299 10
I want this to be a SPOILER-FREE ZONE
627K 16.3K 71
𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘴𝘦𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘢 𝘸𝘰𝘳𝘭𝘥 𝘧𝘶𝘭𝘭 𝘰𝘧 𝘣𝘳𝘰𝘬𝘦𝘯 𝘱𝘦𝘰𝘱𝘭𝘦? ...
6.1K 203 12
this girl might be the death of me. literally -#10 TWD (4/4/24) -#80 DARYLDIXONFANFICTION (4/22/24)