The Queen's Red Lake

By SkylarJapera

Hal Ashes is banished to Red Water, a mysterious town, to live with her grandmother. Naive to her surrounding... More

I
II
III
IIII
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX

XVI

508 38 3
By SkylarJapera

The metallic-red blood flows like a lazy river. It reminds me of the time I wanted to donate my blood but my father wouldn't sign the form. I did not talk to him for months. I had to watch as all my friends voluntarily have their blood drawn so it could be used for transfusions. I was envious of them. I wanted to be apart of saving someone's life, I wanted to be a hero. Looking at my blood now, I didn't feel like a hero.

I'm scared.    

The robed man hovers close by and watches with amazement as my blood drips into a blood bag. "Do not fear death." He speaks. "Welcome it. I will not disrespect your remainings but, I will bury you in the Gardens of Kalahari."

I can feel myself becoming weaker by the moment, the room is becoming blurry, and I can barely hear the robed man, "It won't be long."

I shut my eyes before forcing them back open. I can see a figure behind him and I instantly believe my mind is playing tricks on me. It is Faye. She is standing in royal attire and we are surrounded by the library again. The robed man is gone.

"I'm dead?" I question.

"You will be if you continue to be weak." Faye speaks.

I'm offended, even in death.

"You must break free." She continues her brown eyes staring into my soul. "I didn't help you during the solo battle for you to die now." She pauses. "Find the key or we will all perish."

The room begins to spin again and there are winged creatures flying above me. "Battle is this way!" People are screaming in agony, houses are burning to the ground, the castle is in flames. I remember this vision from when I touched Carol crystal ball. I thought it was a memory but it is a vision from the future.

I look up toward the moon and it becomes red as blood soaks the ground. The vision swirls again and we are within the castle and Elijah sits upon the throne in his navy blue robe with everyone bowing to his feet. "I will open the gates to the underworld." He chuckles. "And we will all bow to the keeper."

He doesn't look the same. His skin is not brown but dark grey and his eyes are black.

The library surrounds us again, "You must stop him." She says. "When he brings me back from the Underworld. I won't be strong enough to defeat him, not as you will."

A powerful force collides with my chest, I inhale as much air as possible, and my eyes open. The robed man stands in shock and I swing my legs up and wrap them around his neck before squeezing with all my strength. I can feel myself transforming. He stares into my purple arises and he smiles before accepting his fate. "I am honored." He croaks before I snap his neck.

I release him and his body fall to the ground with a hard thud. I then swing my body and connect my feet with the ceiling before pulling down onto the chain with all my strength. The chain buckles before breaking. I fall onto the ground and groan as my back hit the floor. I hurry to my feet and search the robed man for a key.

I use the key to unlock the chain and Sasha body falls into me. I hold her and help carry her out the dark basement. We climb a few more steps and there is no one else in the house. I lay Sasha down onto the couch and clean her wounds the best way I can. I then force her to drink the water from the sink.

I look around for clothes and I change into something clean before grabbing loose pants and a shirt for Sasha. When I come back into the room she is lifting up and trying to stand. "Don't force yourself." I tell her.

She touches her lower body and begins to mutter something under her breath and her wounds begin to heal. I stare in amazement. She rolls her shoulders and the color returns to her body and she doesn't look like she is on the brink of death anymore. However, she stumbles when she tries to walk.

"Too much makes me weak." She explains. I nod my head.

"I'm fine." I tell her. "You don't have to worry about me."

Sasha looks up at me with a scowl on her face. "I wasn't." She walks upon me and snatches the clothes out my hand before disappearing into the bathroom to clean up. I roll my eyes but explore the small home. I find our weapons on a table near the door. I grab the daggers and squeeze them, the pleasure of being connected to them making me smile.

"What are you smiling about?" Sasha appears behind me.

I jump in fear and turn around. She's wearing fitted trousers and a basic grey t-shirt. She moves around me and grabs her sword, Athene. She straps it to her back and kicks the front door open with her feet. I roll my eyes, "Dramatic."

When I step out the door I have to use my arm to shield the brightness to my face. The air is thick and the heat is indescribable but we are surrounded by trees. But, these trees rise upward forever, above it's distant like it could touch the clouds. I stay close to Sasha as we hike through the forest, stepping carefully over the roots that cover any type of pathway.

"I don't ever remember seeing any trees like this in Red Water?" I speak after hiking for twenty-minutes. "Where are we?" I question.

We climb a hill and sweat is starting to build on my forehead. Sasha clenches her jaw, aggravated. "We are not in Red Water, demonic." We finally reach the top of the hill and as I look over it there is a city and castle surrounded by the desert. "Welcome to Kalahari. The Great Land of Thirst." She says.

I literally want to drown myself in the nearby lake but I'm sure none of that exists in the freaking desert. Sasha is hiking with purpose and when I open my mouth to ask a question she completely ignores me. I remember the term Kalahari, this is where all the powerful witches live, including the Crowned. Eliza.

But, she was dead.

As we get closer to the gates I open my mouth and ask, "How will we get back to Red Water. We must stop Elijah from opening the gateway to the Underworld—" I do not expect her to attack me but honestly, she has always been very quick and efficient when it came to getting me on my back. I groan as my body connects with the hard ground and everything becomes dizzy. I'm still missing plenty of blood from my body.

"What the fuck?" I snarl. Sasha turns me around on my stomach and pulls my wrist together before tying a rope over my wrist tightly. I hiss from the burn and before I know it I'm being pulled to my feet. I blow my hair out my face and scream at Sasha before forcing my shoulder forward. She does not expect the attack and she stumbles backward. I take the advantage and charge forward and we both fall to the ground. I use my teeth and bite her shoulder and she snarls in pain before wrapping her hand around my neck before squeezing. I cannot defend myself because my hands are tied tightly behind my back. I begin to see dots as everything becomes dark, the sun not blinding me anymore.

I inhale when she releases me. She stands tall above me and it reminds of the first time in the forest when we played capture the flag. "What the hell is wrong with you." I scream but my voice is not as loud as I want it to be because my throat is sore. "I saved your fucking life, bitch."

"I didn't ask for your saving, idiot." Sasha again pulls me to my feet but this time she is alert. I've learned my lesson though. I will not attack again, not yet. "You're my prisoner. I will deliver you to Eliza and The Elders. They will do what they must with you."

"Are you serious." I scowl. "Eliza is—"

Sasha's body goes rigid and I choose to keep my mouth shut. It is sad that she still has hope that Eliza is still alive. However, I remember the truth in Elijah's eyes. Eliza was dead and there was nothing Sasha or myself could do about it.

The glimpse of The Land of Thirst did not do Kalahari any justice on the top of the hill. It is nearly hidden entirely from view behind towering walls and the golden gates that hold intricate patterns. The walls stretch upward like the trees in the forest, reaching out like arms drawn around the land and disappearing into the sky.

The golden gates begin to open and I am not prepared for what is on the other side. "How is this possible?" I question in awe. Sasha ignores me and continues to yank on my rope as we hike closer. A band of guards with weapons approaches us.

They wear ankle-length maroon cotton robes. Its long sleeves are wide enough for their hands to be covered as the man in the front stands in a classic monk pose. It features a hood but they all wear it down whereas in the town of Red Water they hide their features. They are not nearly as fancy as Elijah attire. However, you can tell it is meant to show people their status as a symbol of a Phoenix is stitched onto their shoulder.

A dark-skinned man steps forward and he speaks, his voice deep with honey, "State your reasoning of approaching Kalahari from the front gates. This action is illegal. The only entrance is through the portal from within the castle walls." He pauses. "We are at war. All lands are in lockdown."

Sasha cocks her head to the side and I notice the quick glimpse of confusion in her eyes. She speaks anyway, "I am here to speak with the Crowned. It is urgent news." She yanks onto my rope again. "I also have a prisoner for proof."

The man clears his throat, "You shall enter and speak with the Elders. Eliza the Crowned has been pronounced dead thirty-six hours ago. She was poisoned."

Sasha body freezes in shock. I want to hate her but I feel nothing but sorrow for her loss. I can see that she and Eliza had a special bond. "What of Atlas?" She questions.

"That is unknown." The man answers. "Please hurry inside. We must shut the gates. We will escort you to the Elders."

As we continue to walk up the pathway to the castle I do not expect Kalahari to be silent. There are buildings surrounding each road and nature. But, it is dead silent. Not a single evidence of life. I squint my eyes and see a figure behind a window but they move quickly. I yank onto my rope and Sasha turn around annoyed, I stare at her with fear in my eyes. Something is not right. I scream in my head hoping she can understand me through my eyes. I did not know much about Kalahari but from what Dimitri told me, this is where all the powerful witches and sorcerers live.

It should be booming with life.

Sasha turns around and she looks down at the cotton robes on one of the men. There is a bloodstain, you can barely see it because of the color but its there. Sasha moves quickly that I barely have time to prepare myself for battle. She pulls her sword, Athene and turns swinging the sharp blade to cut my rope letting me free.

I hurry and pull my daggers and one of the robe men come toward me from the left. I dodge his sharp weapon and side-kick him to the face. Sasha fights the other two men and I focus on my enemy. I punch him in the face and he staggers backward before I'm swiping my dagger across his neck. He holds his neck desperately trying to stop the blood from gushing out. It is too late. He falls to his knees, dead.

I don't notice the dark-skinned man charging from behind but Sasha throws her sword and it buries itself into his back. He falls before he can reach me. She walks forward in anger and pulls the sword from his back. He croaks before dying. She looks up at me, "We're even."

I roll my eyes.

Women and children begin to come out of shops and homes. They surround us and Sasha ask, "What happened here?"

One of the women speaks first, "The castle has been overthrown. We have been hiding for two days. Since the death of Eliza." She looks away sad.

Sasha clenches her jaw, "How is that possible? Where are the warriors?"

"They are all gone." The woman explains. "After the message of Eliza death and the terrorist attack on Red Water Arena, they all left with all of the warriors. Kalahari was supposed to be in lockdown but there were traitors within the castle. It was too late before we could escape. We could only hide."

Sasha runs her fingers through her hair in confusion. "Why would they leave the castle defenseless?"

The woman shrugs her shoulders, "Important matters in Red Water. They didn't know there were traitors in the castle. Someone is trying to steal the Crown—"

Sasha walks away and hikes toward the castle. I look to the woman one more time, "Thank-you." I rush behind Sasha. "We should help them. How will they protect themselves."

"Not my problem." Sasha replies. "I need to get back to Red Water."

"We need to get back to Red Water." I remind her.

Sasha grunts but doesn't respond. I pull onto her shoulder aggressively, forcing her to turn around. "I'm not your prisoner." I tell her. "Not anymore. We are a team."

Sasha clenches her jaw but she nods her head in acceptance. "We have the same enemy. The enemy of my enemy is my friend." She pauses. "For now." She shoves my hand off her shoulder, "You are still the enemy, demonic."

Kalahari castle is surrounded by trees like great armies defending their home. The strong trunks reached out in the air protectively as if there are usually archers keeping guard using the trees to keep them hidden. The great expanse of green enhances the castles' beauty and appreciation of nature even though we are in the middle of the desert. "How is this possible?" I find myself asking yet again.

"Witchcraft." Sasha surprisingly answers. "The burning of witches became common around the world. The Coven of the Eclipse decided to create land far away from humans reach. The middle of the biggest desert in the world. There is no water and it is impossible for humans to travel this far out without dying of thirst. With their great power, they created nature with their magic. You can grow plants and some can control the weather where it will only rain over Kalahari walls and sometimes in other areas to help the nearby animals to survive climate change that humans created over time."

I touch the nearby trunk and I smile as I feel the magic within the bark. Sasha watches me curiously before she is turning and hiking toward the castle. Once inside it is empty. I expect servants but there is no one around.

We head down dusty stone stairs that lead to the dungeon. It reeks and I crinkle my nose in disgust. All of the cells are full of staff from the castle and they are relieved to see Sasha face. "Sasha." Someone calls. She hurries to that particular cell and I search for the key before opening the cells.

Sasha throws her arms around one of the older men and he squeezes her tight. It is odd seeing Sasha show any emotion that is not snarky, angry, or sarcastic. "Tell me the truth." She demands as she pulls back to look into the eyes of this man.

"She is dead." He answers. "Poisoned. Her body remains in Red Water. We cannot even hold a respectful ceremony. She should be buried in the Gardens of Kalahari where she will thrive with mother nature."

Sasha clenches her jaw. I want her to grieve. I wonder how many times she has to hear it before she believes it. Maybe Atlas will help her if he's not dead. I shake my head. I don't know what she will do if he's dead too.

Sasha whispers as we all walk back into the main hall of the castle. I can tell this older man is important in the way he walks. His hand is clasp behind his back and he holds his head high. It oddly reminds me of Eliza. I didn't get a chance to know more about her but I can see that she was a great leader. Everyone in the castle is grieving over the loss.

He turns around, looks at me curiously, and then turn his back and listen to Sasha low whispers. I follow them but also keep my eye out for an escape route. I still didn't fully trust Sasha. The servants split off and there is only me and the robe-less Elders who all walk the same. We enter another room and there are mirrors everywhere showing off our reflection.

I look at myself and almost gag in disgust. My clothes were battered, my hair wild, and my skin dirty. "I would have never expected Elijah to be apart of this. What he seeks is impossible..."

"The dragons won the solo battle." Sasha squeezes her fist. She hates to admit I beat her. "He has a chance at the Crown."

"With Eliza gone, it is rightfully his." The Elder speaks.

Sasha frown, "He wishes to change the laws of witchery. I must stop him, avenge Eliza, and return her body."

The Elder nods his head and wave his hand over the mirror. It pulses as if it is breathing. Before I could question what is happening Sasha is grabbing my hand and pulling me inside the massive mirror. Everything swirls in a way that is indescribable and I land on my face before I am releasing my guts on the floor.

Sasha towers over me and rolls her eyes. I wanted to punch her in the face. I lift up and notice we are on Level-K within the school.

We hear steps and Sasha pulls her sword and I'm shocked to see Dimitri and the others come down the stairs. "Hal." Dimitri and Javier both scream at the same time. They then look at each other in anger before bringing their attention back to me.

The girls ignore them and they approach me. Zaria pulls me in a hug, "You're alive." Iris squeezes my shoulder and Sakiya crosses her arms annoyed before asking, "What the hell happened to you?" She crinkles her nose. "You stink."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

796 50 83
𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐭𝐡 𝐛𝐞𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐢𝐭 𝐚𝐥𝐥. 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐭 𝐢𝐭. ~ For five years, Evelyn turned up missing. Locked at the bottom...
20.7K 571 33
Some people are more unlucky than others, Evelyn knows this more than most, after being kidnapped from her house she finds herself at the mercy of cr...
143K 5.5K 47
Books 1& 2 of The Reckoning For thousands of years Lucifer has been waiting to rule humanity. When he finally discovers the sign that his time is nig...
753 94 33
Book 2 in the Red Void Series, parallel to Saltwater & Ink. Takes place in the same time frame, but from Thorn's point of view. AN: Please read Sal...