A Heart's Desire

By PrincessGG101

When Kion is faced with a mysterious illness, Queen Rani becomes depressed at the fact that the one she loves... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: The King and his Queen
Chapter 2: A Strange Illness
Chapter 3: The New Queen
Chapter 4: Long Live The King
Chapter 5: Death of a Queen
Chapter 6: The Fire Flower
Chapter 8: Two Sides
Chapter 9: Duties of the King and Queen
Chapter 10: Lions and Cheetahs
Chapter 11: Secrets and Truths
Chapter 12: Fire at the Tree of Life
Chapter 13: Can't afford to Lose
Chapter 14: Betrayal
Chapter 15: A Second Chance of Love
Chapter 16: A True Queen
Chapter 17: We Are One
Chapter 18: Little Miracle
Chapter 19: It is Time
Chapter 20: Uninvited Guest
Chapter 21: Destiny
Epilogue
Author's note

Chapter 7: A Promise

2.6K 70 22
By PrincessGG101

"Fuli?" Kion asks in a more serious tone, "Where is Rani?"

Fuli sighs. If nothing had hurt Kion in the past, this will surely break him.

"I don't know how else to say this but..."

"But what?"

Fuli looks at Makini for help. The young Majusi steps forward.

"Queen Rani is dead," Makini sighs.

Fuli and Makini don't say anything else. Kion stares at them stunned. His heart beats fast and his breaths are shakey. Rani was dead? This can't be possible. He must have heard them wrong or that this was a joke.

"No. I don't believe you," Kion snaps.

"She was found dead at the bottom of the canyon a few days ago," Makini explains.

"You're lying!" Kion screams as tears start to prickle his eyes.

Fuli and Makini glance at each other, but neither of them say anything. Kion breaks into tears. He curls himself into a tight ball and covers her eyes with his paws.

Makini quietly walks over to him and says "Kion...we know how you feel. Rani was special to everyone".

Kion growls at her. Her slaps her hand away, claws unsheathed. Makini shrieks in shock as she jumps back.

"Don't you dare mention her name! Leave me alone!" Kion roars.

Makini holds her staff close to her as she tries not to cry. Fuli examines her hand to see if Kion had scratched her. His claws must've missed her by a hair. Fuli growls at Kion.

"We know you are upset Kion. You are hurting. We all are, but it is no excuse to hurt others. You out of everyone should know that," Fuli says calmly, but the threat evident in her voice.

"Leave!" Kion orders.

Makini leaves the den a little fearful of Kion. Fuli stands her ground, but she too turns to leave.

"Find me when you are ready to chat...your highness," Fuli says quietly as she glares at him.

Kion ignores her. Fuli leaves the den, anger making her blood boil. Makini stands there waiting for her outside the den.

"Are you alright?" Fuli asks calmly.

"I'm fine. Thank you," Makini replies with a smile.

"Let's leave Kion alone for a while. Give him some time to calm down. He shouldn't have lashed out at you".

"He's upset. It's fine. He'll most likely stay inside for a few days".

Fuli nods, "I'll let the others know he's ok".

A few days pass and Kion did not leave the den once. As far as Fuli knew, he sat in the same spot motionless. He barely ate or drank anything. As a new day comes, the young cheetah queen leaves her den, about to go for a hunt. She quickly hunts a zebra, eats her share and starts dragging the carcass to the Tree of Life.

"Fuli!" Yells a voice.

Fuli drops the carcass and smiles as Azaad approaches.

"Morning Azaad," Fuli says.

Azaad smiles a charming smile, "Say, I was wondering if you and I would like to spend some time together. It's been a while since it was just you and me and I think a little break would do you some good".

"Sorry Azaad, but I've got duties to attend to. Being Queen is hard and even harder when Kion won't leave the den," Fuli sighs sadly.

"It's not your fault," Azaad says with ears folded slightly, "I understand. Another time right?"

"I promise".

He gives Fuli a quick nuzzle before running off again. Fuli's smile fades as she looks at the carcass. She sighs and drags the carcass to the Tree of Life. She drags it inside and drops it at her feet. She stands back and looks at Kion. His back was facing her and his ears didn't even twitch. Fuli looks at the other carcasses that were hunted for him, but all of them were left untouched and were slowly rotting. The flies buzzing around them were loud and annoying. The smell didn't help either.

"Kion?" Fuli breathes.

No response.

"Kion, look at me when I'm speaking to you," Fuli says a little louder.

Still no response.

"As your Queen, you will look at me when I talk to you," she demands.

"You are no Queen," Kion mumbles, still facing away.

"Rani gave me the title in her absence," Fuli explains, but she doesn't get a reply, "You need to eat, Kion. At this rate, you will starve to death".

"And I will die like Rani? Probably for the best. I have nothing now".

Fuli stamps her paw on the ground and the loud bang echoes throughout the den. Fuli marches her way in front of Kion and glares at him.

"Nothing? You have nothing?! Kion, you have more than anyone could hope for! You have friends who care and worry about you! A family living in the Pridelands! A Kingdom who looks up to you and respects you! You are a king! You live in prosperous land! How is that nothing?! If Rani could see you wallowing in self pity, she would be beyond disappointed to see someone so mighty and strong turn into a disappointment!" Fuli yells.

Kion looks up at her and stands to be higher, "Don't. Say. Her. Name".

"Or what?! Rani stayed by your side for days, hoping you would get better! She loved you Kion! She trusted you to rule beside her! She would not want her kingdom to fall to ruin because her 'king' decided to follow his queen into death! You have the power to protect this land. Better than I could. You are still the King and no one else wants to rule".

Kion looks at Fuli a little surprised. His muscles relax as he thinks about Rani and what Fuli had said. She was right.

Fuli sighs, "Just think about what Rani would have wanted for you and your kingdom. Come find me when you are ready to talk more".

Kion watches as she walks to the entrance of the den. She stops and looks back at him.

"Please eat something for once. I think eating something might help," Fuli says before disappearing from view.

Kion sighs and looks at the food Fuli had hunted. His stomach growls and after a little hesitation, he begins to eat.

Fuli takes a deep breath as she sits at the river of patience. The gentle late afternoon sun warms her face as she smiles up at the light. She loved the late afternoon sun. It was soothing. She closes her eyes and listens to the breeze flying through the trees and the occasional chirp of a bird and the river carrying logs downstream. Fuli's ears twitch to the sound of someone approaching. She opens her eyes and looks over her shoulder.

"Kion?" she says surprised, "I wasn't expecting to see you out here so soon".

Kion sits beside her and looks at his reflection, "You wanted to talk?"

Fuli nods, "I don't mind waiting for you to clean up a little if you want".

Kion shakes his head, "I'm fine".

Fuli groans and steps into the shallow part of the river. The cool water sends a shiver down her spine.

"I don't think you realise how dirty you look. You look like a rogue".

Doing as he's told, Kion follows her into the river. The water cleans his fur of dust and leaves his fur golden brown.

"That's better," Fuli says as she scrubs a spot of dirt on his shoulder, "You needed a bath".

They get out of the river and sit side by side.

"Time to talk?" Kion asks as water drips off his mane.

Fuli sighs, "I wanted to catch you up on everything that's happened".

"Go on".

"When you got sick, everyone feared the worst when Makini didn't have a cure. Rani wouldn't leave your side. She never did. Not once. Due to her absence, things in the kingdom were getting a little rough. They needed a leader, someone to depend on. No one wanted to take full responsibility for her duties so she gave me the title of Queen, just for a little while. That was the plan at least," Fuli explains.

Kion notices her pause and he urges her to continue.

"I took care of things as best I could. No one really saw me as a leader, but I guess I somehow gained their trust over time. I've done more than my fair share. I took care of the kingdom, went on as many patrols as I could, fixed every little problem and tried to help Rani".

"How did she die?" Kion asks quietly.

Fuli sighs and bites her tongue to hold back tears, "I'm not exactly sure. As far as I know, she left the den one night and went to the canyon. She was found dead that morning".

She hears Kion sniff and he covers his face with his paw. He takes a few deep breaths.

"Did she have a funeral worthy of a queen?" Kion asks.

"Yes".

"Is her body at the willows?"

"Yes".

Kion stares at the ground. Fuli doesn't say anything. She knew this was hard for him.

"Why have you continued Rani's duties?" Kion suddenly asks after a few minutes.

Fuli sighs, "I don't know. I guess I feel like I have to. Rani wanted me to take care of things so I am".

"Technically you didn't have to continue when Rani died. Why do you still wear that symbol of trust on your forehead?"

"I wanted Rani or you to relieve me of this. I know what you're going through Kion. I lost my mother when I was very young. If you need someone to rely on or consult with, I am always here for you. If you don't want me to help you, say the word and I will go".

Kion thinks about what she said carefully. Fuli was always honest with him. He trusted her with his life. She had helped him when they travelled to the Tree of Life whenever his scar bothered him. She was willing to help him again.

"Stay," Kion says.

"What?"

"You have always been right when it comes to what is best. You took charge when I couldn't when I got my scar. I want your help. I need your help again," Kion explains.

Fuli gives him a gentle smile, "I will help you. I promise".

"Thank you".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.8K 359 11
A year has passed since Kion was named King consort of the Tree of Life. Thus far, Kion and Rani enjoy their new life together but when a new lion en...
20K 206 16
Kion is a Knight and warrior Prince back home, but is given the chance to become a King. Join Kion and his Lion Guard as they travel to a faraway Kin...
104K 803 15
Kion and his friends arrived at the Tree of Life, where he meets Rani, the future Queen of the Night Pride. He felt something , at a first glance, b...
3.5K 18 10
Kion and Rani are finally King and Queen of the Tree of Life and they hope for a great future. But then a visitor comes to the Tree of Life and she s...