The Queen's Red Lake

By SkylarJapera

Hal Ashes is banished to Red Water, a mysterious town, to live with her grandmother. Naive to her surrounding... More

I
II
III
IIII
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX

XIII

500 39 6
By SkylarJapera

I stand in an open field and clutch my knuckles into a tight first. The grass is taller than I've ever seen here in Red Water, meadow-like but still green. The sun shines above the sky and brings out the open field and my three opponents charging toward me. I inhale and prepare myself for round twenty.

Javier is quick, he comes from my left and jump before coming down with a strong kick. I barely dodge the assault but I move out the way. Iris approaches me from behind swiftly, I turn and put up my forearm to block her blow. I'm pushed backward, but I keep my footing even though the tall grass is difficult for me to maneuver.

Iris and I go toe to toe and she is quick. She gives me a left jab before changing her style and round-house kicking me to the face. I tumble over and fall onto the ground. I growl underneath my breath. I look up and roll over when I see Iris coming down with another kick. "Fuck." I hurry back to my feet out of breath.

"Sasha will not stop." Iris reminds me. Javier comes from behind me and I swiftly block his attack before going on the offense. I give him a powerful side-kick to the chest. He staggers back and Zaria replaces him. Her eyes are encouraging but her punches are deadly.

I block each blow. I am losing my breath quickly. I try for offense but Zaria steps to the side before giving me a sidekick. I fall into the tall grass yet again. This time I choose to just lay there in defeat. I've taken several classes, father believed it was important to learn to defend yourself at a young age. However, actually having to fight was not as easy as hitting dummies and battling your friends.

Iris throws her hand out to help me to my feet. "You just have to watch for your opening. Sasha is strong, but it will not be impossible to beat her."

I chuckle, "Are you serious? You guys have a better chance of beating her than me. I only have two more days to train there is no way I'll be ready by then."

Sakiya comes into view, "We can cheat. I'm sure Carol can whip something up with her weird plants."

I roll my eyes but she is right. I need some form of advantage. "No." Javier instantly disagrees. "If we are caught cheating not only will we be severely punished but we will also be expelled from school."

Sakiya clip her tongue. "This is why we do not get caught, asshole."

I look and rub the sweat off my forehead. "She's right, Javier. I won't win alone."

Javier clenches his jaw and storms away. "I'll take all the blame." I shout after him but he ignores me and continues walking away. I hiss at the tightness in my muscles and lay back into the grass. I look ahead at the enormous estate ahead of me. I was surprised earlier when Sakiya was eager to train at her home. However, I did not expect an estate that loomed proudly behind creaky black iron gates.

It is a beautiful sight.

Iris takes a seat next to me, "The view never gets old."

I lift up slightly. Sakiya and Zaria have disappeared to retrieve water and snacks. "Where are Sakiya parents?" I question curiously. "I didn't notice anyone walking inside."

"They're gone." Iris explains, sadly. The wind blows softly, her ash-gray hair dancing along with it. "The fire at the library."

I gasp and everything begins to connect. I now understand why Sakiya is involved with the conspiracy. She understands Elijah's anger but does not support his ill-rational actions. I squeeze my eyes shut trying to picture all the faces at the library in my visions.

"Please do not bring this up again. We do not speak of her parents." Iris says, closing the conversation.

I nod my head and lean back on my elbows. As Sakiya comes out of the home her gaze seems to be somewhere else as Zaria speaks animated about a particularly exciting subject. I wonder to myself how was the Sakiya before the burning of the library. Was she always so cold and angry? I doubt that. Sakiya toss me bottled water and I catch it with ease, "Call the one who talks to the dead." She tells me. "We're gonna need him to win this stupid competition."

Later that night, we meet Dimitri at the cemetery. It is the same as I remember minus the storm and mud. Dimitri rushes up the hill with a heavy bag on his shoulder. He is wearing his normal attire but when he comes closer he throws off his hood which shows his mostly healed face and white hair. He smiles at me and greets everyone.

"Hi, Dimitri!" Zaria speaks excited before pulling him into a hug. It is odd seeing the trust most of us have for Dimitri now. Iris is still cautious but she waves anyway, Javier does not say a word, and Sakiya chooses to open her mouth and mutter, "Yeah yeah. Get on with it zombie boy."

Dimitri rolls his eyes but I give him a cocky-smirk and nudge his shoulder, "What you got?"

Dimitri throws out a huge blanket for us to sit on. We all get comfortable as he begins to work in silence. Iris takes advantage of this time and explain the final level of the Elder's Fest. "The solo battle is always fought on the battlegrounds of Red Water Arena for everyone to witness."

I roll my eyes, "Great." I mutter sarcastically. "I'll be defeated in front of the entire town."

Iris gives me a sympathetic smile, "The Elder's from Kalahari, Rulers, and of course, Eliza will be in attendance.

I wanted to scream, instead, I just lay back and stare at the stars as Iris continue on, "There will be a ceremony afterward that you will have to attend if you lose or win. This will be your chance to meet all the Rulers, Elders, and Eliza the Crowned. It is respectful to speak to each and every one of them."

"Yeah yeah." I mutter counting the stars and connecting them with my fingers. I smile thinking of how my mother and I use to do this for fun.

"Now." Iris poke me and I groan but sit up anyway. "The weapon of your choice will be hidden on the battleground, the same as Sasha. The goal is to retrieve the Horn of Flames before your opponent, then you shall blow into it."

I sit up fully, "So, I do have a chance. It is more of a race than a battle."

"Not quite." Iris answer. "You can only retrieve and blow into the Horn of Flames if your opponent is down. If you are too knock Sasha down and she is to get back up. You cannot retrieve the Horn of Flames."

I groan into my hands. "I'm going to lose."

"Stop being a whiny bitch." Sakiya cuts into the conversation. She towers over me and Iris and her hair is in a high ponytail and she is still wearing her attire from earlier today. "Come here and see what Dimitri is boiling."

We walk a few yards across the cemetery to see Dimitri, a campfire, and a black pot boiling on top of it. I get close and almost puke at the smell. "No way." Dimitri ignores me and put on a pair of oven mitts and remove the pot and pour it into a metal container before sealing it shut. He tosses me the container and smile, "That will give you a boost of strength, speed, endurance and the ability to read your opponent's attacks before they move."

I twist the jar open but Dimitri's eyes widen and he snatches the container away, "You can't now. It only lasts a few hours. Enough time to drain out your system once the competition is over."

Javier folds his arm with a scowl on his face. His hair is down today and falling at his shoulders, "Don't do this Hal. Losing a battle that everyone knows you're going to lose is better than getting caught cheating. You will be expelled and your reputation will be destroyed."

"I told you before, Javier." I hiss. "I don't care about the competition. I just need access to Level K."

Javier follows behind me, "Why not just break into Level K?"

I roll my eyes. As if I haven't thought of that before. "If you can find me away into Level K before the competition I will not take the stupid potion."

Javier open his mouth to argue but I cut him off, "That's final. Find me away inside and I won't take the stupid potion. I'll actually lose purposely and you all can keep your witchery laws the same."

Javier's clench jaw expresses his anger in my proposition. "Let's meet at the campus tomorrow night. I'll get you access to Level K."

The next night comes fairly quickly. I wait for all the lights in the house to be shut off before I am sneaking out of the house and biking across the red lake and toward campus. I see the other waiting at the side of the school in the shadows.

"Took you long enough." Sakiya mutters while rubbing her arms up and down to get heat in them.

I narrow my eyes annoyed. "Try sneaking out of Queen's home." I snap back. "Now let's go."

Javier leads the way and the others follow close behind. He brings us to a basement door and he pulls the latch and we enter the school from below.

"Okay nice job." Sakiya comments as we walk the tricky halls of the school. "You snuck us inside but how will you get us on Level K."

"Shut-up, Sakiya." Javier mutters.

Iris squeezes Javier's shoulder. "We should all calm down."

Zaria chews on her bottom lip and chooses to stick close to Sakiya hip. I twist the ring on my finger and Dimitri looks to me in concern. "Are you okay?"

I chew on my bottom lip. I'm on edge and the competition is tomorrow. "The Phoenixes for once have a chance of winning." I tell him. "I'm nervous."

"No matter what happens tomorrow. You leave the battlefield a winner." Dimitri smile.

I shove him. "That's corny as hell."

He chuckles and shoves me playfully. We make it to the elevator shaft and Sakiya rolls her eyes again. "Dude. Are you serious? I thought you knew a back way or something. There is no way we can get this elevator open. It's heavily coded—"

Javier snaps open a box and it is filled with wires. He pulls the red wire out and snaps it apart. The elevator doors slide open. Sakiya instantly shut up from shock. He places the cover back onto the box and we all step into the elevator.

Everyone is anxious that the ride up is silent.

Finally, after a ten-minute ride upwards the elevator doors slide open and my eyes widen at the sight.

Level K is a status symbol, it is purposely set above the other students. It is where it needs to be, separated and untouchable from the other peers as it glorifies its power and opulence. The architecture symbolizes Phoenixes, from the golden detailed pillars to the burgundy painted walls and draping Phoenix flag.

A statue of Eliza stands in the center of the room. She is wearing a battle uniform with a sword in her grasp. Each carving is detailed. It's beautiful in every sense. As we step further into the room we notice the lights floating above us and lighting the halls.

"Wow." Sakiya mutters. "It's beautiful."

All stair rails are ornate mahogany, carved and polished that it shined. I turn to Javier as we climb the stairs, "Where is the library?"

"This way." Javier points. We follow close behind him and as we walk the light above us continue to glow.

"How in the hell you know so much about this Level?" Sakiya questions skeptically.

"My great-grandfather help construct this place. My father walked these floors as a child." Javier replies. "They promised my family and I access but that was obviously a lie."

"You never told me." Iris chooses to speak.

Javier shrugs his shoulders. "My great-grandfather was livid until he died. That is why my father doesn't push me to go to school. He says no matter what you achieve they will still treat you like dirt. My father keeps the Level K plans locked away for future plans he tells me." Javier finishes annoyed. "I never told you because it wasn't worth telling."

Iris looks away sadden. "It's worth it to me."

Dimitri glances at the two of them curiously. The walk becomes silent and we finally reach the library. It takes ages for Javier to figure out how to open the black metal gates. "You will have to hurry." He tells me. I hurry inside and sprint down the right hall. The others follow behind me and Javier chooses to keep watch.

Something catches my attention and I walk along another path, separating from the others. It is as if energy is pulling me. A huge opening presents itself to me. There are nine pictures hanging of men and women that were killed in the burning of the library. There are also news articles, stating it was an accident, but it is all a lie. I turn the corner and there is another metal gate, but it is locked.

Crowned and Elder access only.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. My dagger begins to glow, I retrieve it before putting it towards the lock. It magically opens. I walk inside and there are numerous books all around. I open the one that is labeled demonics and snap pictures quickly with my phone. I then walk deeper into the room and the metal table in the center of the room catches my attention first. I glance down at my watch. I didn't have much time.

I approach the table and flip open the book. There is a section of pictures of the nine people who died in the fire. "Cult members." I read aloud. Each page had a file on each person that had died. I turn the page again and a force hits me, it is not painful. I'm accustomed to the feeling.

Instead of an empty dark room, there is a group of people standing and pacing back and forth. They wore the Elder cloaks and they were all hooded. Hiding their features. There is also Eliza standing in the center. I instantly notice another person and it is my grandmother, Queen. She tosses a few files onto the table. "They are planning to summon her back." Queen explains. "From what I have gathered she has been speaking to them through a mind link from the underworld."

One of the men steps forward and slams his fist onto the metal table, the files soaring everywhere. He is dressed as an Elder. "I thought you took care of her." He shouts. "You promised she wouldn't be a problem anymore."

Queen looks up in anger and points her finger, "Do not raise your voice at me. My power can do so much against someone who was a member of the Coven of Eclipse. I could not destroy her soul. I could only send her to the underworld."

"How is she able to communicate with us from the underworld?" He spats and I step closer because his voice sounds familiar. "She is dangerous. If she somehow summons herself back to Red Water, she will have a chance at the Crown. That is not what we want." He hisses. "She will put us back in the dark ages or worse, kill us all."

Eliza shifts and rubs the nape of her neck. She looked worried. This is the most emotion I have seen displayed on her face. She looks younger, but she still hold an air of authority. "The Rein on Demonics and the Fall of the Coven of Eclipse is before my time and rule. I can only make decisions that are best for my people, today. We shall arrest the cult members for practicing dark witchery."

"Eliza." One of the men speaks. "If we put them on trial we will have to be honest about everything."

"Maybe it is time, to be honest with the people." Queen replies. "We cannot control what our ancestors decided to do with the demonics."

"We have created certain laws for necessary reasons." One of the men speak.

Queen rolls her eyes ignoring the men in the room. "The cult members sole purpose is to summon Faye back to life." I gasp at hearing that name. I knew that name well. I glance down at the dagger I was holding. "If they succeed there is no telling what Faye's ultimate plan is."

The Elder scowl, "She will first attempt revenge on you." He hisses. "We all haven't forgotten why you decided to murder her in the first place and why your son decided to run away to the human world."

Queen flick her fingers and the Elder flies backward and connects with the nearest wall. His hood falls off his head revealing his face. "Do not test me, Ford." She spats. I freeze, stare with wide eyes, and clasp my hand over my mouth in shock.

There is always speak about Elders but no one actually knew who the Elders were because of the hoods. It never dawned on me to question who was making these political decisions.

"Do not bring my son into this conversation." Queen sneers.

Eliza stands, "Silence." She commands.

Queen turns her shoulder and Ford's body slides down the wall before he is hitting the floor with a grunt. Eliza places her hand behind her back before squeezing them into a fist. "I hold the Crown and my decision is the only one that matters. We shall arrest the cult members and if necessary." She pauses. "We kill them."

Ford's lips twist with a smile and Queen's eyes widen. "Eliza—" She calls her name as if Eliza is a young girl. "Your parents."

"This meeting is over." Eliza clenches her jaw.

I can hear someone calling my name in the distance. Suddenly, I'm yanked backward. I push Dimitri away. "Why did you do that?" I hiss.

"We have to go." He yanks me again. "Or we get caught."

I look around the room one last time before sprinting behind Dimitri and out the library. We rush back out the main hall and pass the statue and down the elevator. Moments later we make it out the school and off the property.

I'm silent the entire walk back to town. The others go their separate way and Sakiya squeezes my shoulder and says, "Hope you got what you needed cause you're definitely going to get your ass kicked without that potion."

I roll my eyes, "Thanks a lot."

Dimitri follow me back across the red lake. "What did you see?" He questions.

I look at him in confusion but he shakes his head. "I know that look." He explains. "The look, as you've just had a vision or been pulled into a memory."

I chew on my bottom lip. "Sakiya parents, Elijah and Eliza's parents, and the others were apart of a cult and I think—" I pause and take a heavy breath. "I think maybe my grandmother and your uncle had something to do with their deaths."

Dimitri's eyes widen, surprised. "Ford is a narcissistic asshole but he's not capable of murdering nine people."

"I can be wrong." I shrug my shoulders and yawn in my hand. "I'll see you for the competition tomorrow. Bring the potion."

Dimitri arches his eyebrow. "But—"

"Javier is just going to hate me. I will need access to the library again. I have more questions now than I had before." I run my fingers through my hair in frustration. "Carol was right. Why did my father wait so long to introduce me to this world? Why did he leave in the first place?" I look down at my hands that are tingling to squeeze the hilt of the dagger that is strapped to my thigh. "What am I?"

Dimitri chooses to not say anything. He gives me a final nod and says, "I will have your back just as you had mine." He then makes his way back across the blood-red lake. I sneak back into the house and scroll through the pictures I snapped inside the library. I zoom in on the pictures, it is blurry because I was in a rush, but I could make out some of the words.

I squint my eyes trying to get a better read on the pictures. There are photos of demonics. Men, women, children and winged creatures I have seen before in my visions. However, they do not look harmful. The men are standing with their arms folded and eyes red, children are smiling and laughing showing off their fangs, and women are sitting upon the winged creatures. I stare at the pictures in confusion. 

Demonics aren't monsters.

I do not remember falling asleep but my door sliding open awakes me. I lift up thinking it is my grandmother. Someone charges toward me and I instantly react and swipe my daggers at them. They hiss and someone else charges in and throw a black bag over my head. "Stop it, champion." It is my grandmother's voice. "It is apart of the challenge." My heart begins to beat wildly against my chest. I hold on tight to my daggers unable to see. I'm pulled forward, escorted out of the house, and placed inside a car.

The ride is silent. I'm escorted into another building and then into a warm room. The bag is pulled off my head and I move ready to attack but I take in my surroundings and notice Elijah and Eliza standing on the other side of the throne hall, surrounded by hooded Elders.

I scowl.

Elijah is the first to speak, "You'll have to forgive my champion. She was caught by surprise."

The man I sliced with my dagger grunts annoyed. Sasha stands next to me in her battle uniform. I look down at myself. I'm dressed in my sleeping clothes. I roll my eyes.

"You could have warned me that there is a creepy ceremony before the battle." I snarl shifting uncomfortably.

Sasha smirk amused but she chooses to stay quiet. One of the hooded Elders step forward and he explains. "Before you is the fountain of mystery. Of your choice, you shall put in your weapon you will battle with during the final level."

I chew on my lip nervously. I haven't been apart from my weapon since I discovered it. Sasha chooses to step forward first. She raises her sword high. "I choose my sword, Athene, I am confident in its power and grace." She walks upon the fountain of mystery and places her sword delicately on top of the water and the sword sinks dramatically. She gives me a smirk as she walks back. I roll my eyes, over the dramatics.

I step forward and choose not to say anything about the name. I didn't want any of them knowing who the dagger used to belong too. "I choose my daggers." I mutter with no enthusiasm. "It slaughtered the snake who killed Lauren. Ya know, the murder you all covered up."

Everyone in the room gasp.

"For Lauren." I mutter before tossing the two daggers into the fountain of mystery. However, the fountain blast off a powerful force that knocks me back onto my back. I watch as the water begins to bubble and splash violently before turning deadly red.

The Elder's all stands and I groan in pain, my ears ringing from the blast. Once the water stops swishing violently I stand and make my way back over by Sasha. She eyes me curiously.

"What?" I hiss. "The Elders is not what you think."

Now it is Sasha turn to scowl. "What do you know?" She cocks her head to the side. "You come here dressed in pajamas and disrespect our customs."

"Your customs were created from lies." I snarl.

I'm not prepared for how fast she is able to sidekick me. However, yet again I'm collapsing to the hard floors. I grunt. She leans over me and snarl, a dagger close to my neck. "Look around because this is the closest you'll ever get to Level K, Dragon girl."

I chuckle at the situation because I didn't care about the honor or customs. I just wanted the truth. Plus, I've already witnessed the beauty of Level K. Sasha doesn't enjoy my amusement and she presses the dagger closer to my throat. "I'll enjoy destroying you."

"Enough." Eliza commanding voice thunders throughout the hall. Sasha pushes me back and stands tall above me.

She bows in shame. "I apologize, Crowned."

Eliza waves her hand. "Save it for the real battle."

I stand and move around my muscles. A bag is placed over my head again and I'm escorted back to Queen home. When the bag is removed Queen is walking out onto the porch and pulling me inside before shutting the door.

She has a meal prepared for me and my hands twitch because I don't have my daggers. It's as if a part of me is missing. "Your behavior at the fountain of mystery is the talk of the town. Everyone is closing shop to see you battle Sasha."

I poke at my breakfast. "Yay." I mutter sarcastically.

Queen places her utensils down elegantly. "Why do you choose to get under Sasha's skin? The Elder's skin? It is an honor to be selected as a champion for the Solo battle. The Dragons have never made it this far. You should be proud."

Apart of me wants to spill everything I have been going through since I've arrived in this town. The voice in my head, the visions, the daggers, the conspiracies, but I couldn't trust my own blood. I continue to poke at my meal. My appetite is suddenly ruined.

I do not respond and Queen sighs sadly. She stands and holds her cane. She squeezes my shoulder lightly and says with a huge smile on her face, "I am proud of you Hal Ashes. You're everything I thought you would be."

I cannot stop myself from smiling. The acceptance any child would want from their grandparents. Soon, the Dragons are appearing at my house. Including Elijah. He gives me a wicked smile. I get into the truck and we drive toward the arena.

As we drive through the town it is silent and just as Queen stated all the shops are closed down.

We finally arrive at our destination and the battle arena is huge. I'm still clueless about how the battlefield will look. As we walk inside there are people all around screaming in excitement. Some are holding up Phoenix flags and some are holding up Dragon flags. They all somehow show respect to Lauren.

The battle arena reminds me of a futbol dome.

I am escorted to a room where the others and Elijah stand and wait for me. Elijah is the first to speak. He steps forward and gives my shoulder a squeeze. "Good luck." He mutters and walks away.

I roll my eyes. "Great speech." I mutter.

The others help me prepare and I put on the battle uniform Elijah left for me on the wall. The pants are tan fitted and could slide easily into matching boots that had straps and various pocket knives and small daggers. The shirt is simple and covered with a light jacket.

I pull my hair back out my face and Zaria grab a white tape and begin to wrap my knuckles. I squeeze them to test them out and she gives me an encouraging smile, "Remember your training. You will be fine."

Iris then speaks, "If possible. Try to find your weapon first."

I nod my head and my heart is accelerating from nerves. We all walk down the long and dark hallway and the closer we get to the huge metal doors the more I can hear stomping from the people who came to watch.

Dimitri pulls me to the side and he hands me the container. I open it to gulp the nasty substance down but before I could it is knocked out of my hand and falling onto the floor.

"What the fuck!" I growl toward Javier.

"You promised you wouldn't cheat." Javier hisses back in a low tone. I look down at the black substance on the dirt floor and run my hand over my face in frustration. Javier walks toward me, "Hal. Come on. You got this—" Javier grunts when he is shoved into the wall by Dimitri.

Zaria scream as the two of them begins to tussle with each other. Dimitri goes low and tackles Javier onto his back. My eyes widen at the surprising strength. "Do you know what you've done." Dimitri spats as he continues to pound Javier.

Javier finally gets the upper hand and he tosses Dimitri off of him before punching him square in the face. Dimitri stumbles back and I step in between them.

"Stop." I roar. "Stop it!"

Dimitri holds his left eye and Javier wipe the blood from his lip. My hand began to twitch even more from anger and the nerves. Dimitri chooses to open his mouth first. "You've ruined everything. Hal needs to win this competition. You think everything is about you, Javier." Dimitri spats his name. "It's not!"

"Dimitri calm down." I say trying to squeeze his shoulder but he shoves away from me. He paces back and forth and squeezes his head. He begins to mumble to himself underneath his breath and it reminds me of the old Dimitri in the woods.

"Who is speaking to you?" I question getting closer to him.

"I need to think." He hisses.

I arch my eyebrow in confusion but before I could question further the metal doors begin to ring as they lift open. I glance at Dimitri retreating back one last time before turning and walking out onto the arena dirt field. The doors close behind me and stomping is the first thing I hear. I then notice the huge pyramid in front of me that I would have to climb to reach the Horn of Flames.

I glance around and people are screaming and shouting while continuing to stomp their feet. I also notice in a private section is where all the Rulers, Elders, and the Crowned sits. I look around and I do not see Sasha. I'm guessing she is standing on the other side of the Egyptian pyramid.

Eliza stands and her hair is pulled away from her face in a tight ponytail. She lifts her hand and the entire arena becomes silent. The only thing you can hear is the wind whistling. It is silent for several heartbeats and everyone stands in unison. I arch my eyebrow in confusion because I swear if she starts to sing Red Water anthem or something I will laugh.

"Defend your title. Defeat your enemy." Eliza roars. "You are the chosen Champion."

Eliza takes a seat and one of the servants steps forward and blows into a horn. I react quickly and set out to find my daggers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

865 27 32
Angels and demons, the classic dichotomy of good and evil. It's easy to leave it at that, but have you ever met one or the other? If you could, would...
603 88 20
As the newcomers to the village, Gardener Howe and her family have never been accepted. Always having been treated as stranger, Howe feels out of pl...
100 15 14
As Hell reins terror on the earth, can one child bring back humanity and defeat the Devil himself? After millions of people vanish and the dead rise...
753 94 33
Book 2 in the Red Void Series, parallel to Saltwater & Ink. Takes place in the same time frame, but from Thorn's point of view. AN: Please read Sal...