The Queen's Red Lake

By SkylarJapera

Hal Ashes is banished to Red Water, a mysterious town, to live with her grandmother. Naive to her surrounding... More

I
II
III
IIII
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX

XII

490 46 4
By SkylarJapera

Rain beats against the tent roof, drops of water running down, and the sides ripple in the gusting wind making the edges flap wildly. I shiver from the breeze and wonder when did it start to rain. The festival had to be over by now. I glance around the tent as I am held, hostage. Dimitri stands next to me and Carol sits Indian style in the far corner. Sakiya folds her arms and stares at me with judgmental eyes and Zaria stands closely next to her but her eyes hold understanding.

Javier blocks the exit of the tent but he doesn't shiver from the cold. Iris squeezes my shoulder and repeat, "It is time for you to tell the truth, Hal."

"Sakiya is right about the library. It wasn't an accident." I start getting straight to the point. Sakiya eyes go from anger to confusion and then satisfaction while a smirk rests on her lips. "I've been having these visions and The Others Will Return."

Everyone in the room gasp.

"Impossible." Javier instantly disagrees. "What lies have you been drilling in her head?" He questions Dimitri.

Dimitri chooses to not say anything. He instead bows his head away in shame. I step slightly in front of him. "Calm your tits." I hiss. "Anyone could be listening." Paranoia is creeping in my skin and after seeing those winged creatures in my vision, I had a totally new perspective of life. "We need to win this competition." I say.

Sakiya cackles in laughter, "Are you kidding me? Look around. We are all that is left. Everyone decided to drop out after Lauren was murder. Use your brain for once." Sakiya finishes while pointing at her head.

I clench my jaw because my patience is wearing thin by the second, "We have a chance without them."

"How is that?" Sakiya ask.

"We are tied." Iris speak. She looks to me and cocks her head to the side. "Hal defeated the snake. That places us only a few points below the Phoenixes. If we defeat Sasha in the solo battle we could win."

The others stare at me in shock. "You killed the snake?" Sakiya asks her eyes widen in shock. She steps a few feet away from me.

I wasn't planning on telling them because it was a difficult subject to bring up after Lauren's death. I look at Iris and wonder to myself how she knew. "Yes." I answer. "Beginners luck, I guess." I shrug.

Dimitri stares at me as if he knows I'm lying. There is always something more to the story. I didn't understand it myself. But, the two daggers that hide in my bag, engraved with Faye's name is always on me.

Just in case I needed to protect myself.

"You're still holding information." Zaria speaks up. She looks sadden. "We cannot help if you do not trust us."

I sigh. She is right. I open my bag and pull out the two daggers. Carol's eyes widen and she hurries and closely looks at the weapon. "Where did you get this from?" She questions curiously.

"From the weaponry box before Hunting season." I explain. I flip it over and examine it closely. "There is something special about it."

Carol looks closely and notices the name that is engraved. "This is an ancient weapon." I squeeze it because I didn't want her to take it. Carol cock her head to the side and stare me in the eyes. "You're connected to the dagger. It goes everywhere with you."

I nod and shift awkwardly. I didn't want to admit it out loud but since slaying the snake I sleep with the daggers underneath my pillow.

"These daggers were carefully forged by a specialty swordsmith and then heavily spelled by a very powerful witch." Carol explain. She then held her hand out and asks, "May I?"

I chew on my bottom lip and hesitantly pass her the dagger. She grabs the hilt of the dagger and instantly screams in pain. I jump back in shock and the blade drops to the ground. I hurry and pick it up and look at Carol's hand that is red as fire as if she was burned. Her eyes water in tears and Zaria grab a cloth and inspect the damage.

Carol snatches away from Zaria and back far away from me and the dagger, "That is not ordinary witchcraft. That dagger was spelled by someone very powerful and dark."

"Demonic?" I question looking down at the dagger I was squeezing in my hand.

"Maybe." Carol hiss. "I don't have much knowledge of Demonics or dark witchery but it had to be spelled before The Rein on Demonics. After that everything Demonics owned was burned and it was rumored that a few things that could not be destroyed were tossed to the bottom of Red Water's lake."

"This is after the Coven of Eclipse was murdered?" I question wanting to know more. Carol looks at me in confusion.

"Who is the Coven of Eclipse?" Javier ask.

Sakiya chooses to speak up, "The Coven of Eclipse was betrayed by their own when she decided to practice dark witchery which was forbidden and illegal. The dark magic wraps around your soul and gives you powerful abilities. This practiced basically created Demonics. The Coven of Eclipse decided to murder all of the demonics but they didn't live long enough to see the day. One member poisoned them and fled the castle in Kalahari. However, all demonics was slaughtered in the cruelest way. Women and children hung and burned at the stake. It was a massacre, basically genocide. They didn't have anyone to rule afterward. Hence, the creation of Elders. The Coven of Eclipse was the last coven to rule."

Everyone looks to Sakiya in shock and confusion.

"You're studying the wrong history." She hisses mostly toward Javier. "You think it's all conspiracies. After the war, Red Water and the other lands is created because most wanted to live a normal life away from witchcraft." She uses quotations as if that saying is a lie also. "All the darkest secrets are hidden right under our nose."

"What makes Eliza so important? Why is she the Crowned." I question. I still didn't quite understand the ruling.

Sakiya rolls her eyes and huff, "Eliza and Elijah are descendants of one of the members in the Coven of Eclipse. Their blood is what gives them a chance at the Crown but Eliza is the chosen one."

I still look ahead in confusion. Iris takes this chance to speak. "Only the ones who carry the blood of the coven is allowed to rule and compete for the Crown. Eliza has been victorious for years. She is and will always be the Crowned in Kalahari." She pauses. "Elijah carries the blood also but he will never rule."

"But, it's possible for Elijah to become the Crowned?" I ask. "For Dragons to get access to Level K."

If there is a key. It had to be hidden away on Level K.

Sakiya cocks her head to the side before she burst into laughter. I roll my eyes. She could never take anything seriously. "We would have to defeat the Phoenixes and then Elijah will have to compete for the Crown. It is not as simple as you think. These things were created to keep balance and a certain someone with the Crown. Eliza was literally taking away at a young age to Kalahari to be molded into what she is now."

"But, Elijah has a chance. They're twins. They hold the same blood." I push. "It is Elijah's birthright just as Eliza."

"He is not the chosen one." Sakiya pushes. "Or he would have been selected by the Elders and not Eliza."

"But." I argue. "If we defeat Sasha in the Solo Battle. We will get access to Level K. I don't care about the Crown. That is up to Elijah if he chooses to compete against his sister."

"What are you trying to get at?" Javier asks in confusion.

"I need access to Level K." I push annoyed. "The only way to do that is to win this competition."

"Elijah is not fit to rule." Carol stands and comes closer. "He was raised as a spoiled brat here in Red Water. Eliza is here for the competition and to keep a close eye on her twin brother. He has been a loose cannon since the death of his parents. He believes the burning of the library is a conspiracy. Once this is all over, Hal, Eliza will return to Kalahari."

"Murder of his parents." Sakiya corrects. "How many times do I have to say they were murdered." She clenches her jaw and squeezes her fist for a second. "I don't blame Elijah. If it is possible he should challenge Eliza for the Crown." She finishes with a shrug. "The Elders have been covering shit up for years now. But, it's not like we're going to win. So, this conversation is pointless."

Carol ignores Sakiya's anger and brings her attention back to me. "That doesn't explain how you're able to wield that dagger." Everyone turns to me suspiciously. "Where did you even get it from?"

"I told you already." I hiss annoyed. "It was in Elijah's stupid weaponry box."

"How did Elijah get his hands on something so powerful?" Carol ask as if she doesn't believe me. I am getting irritated by the suspicious looks. Carol is always so nice to me, now here she is interrogating me like I'm the villain.

"I don't know." I growl. "Maybe he swam to the bottom of the lake and retrieved it himself." I hiss with sarcasm. I throw the dagger back in my bag. "I will not stand here and be interrogated by you of all people. You almost killed me."

"Me." Carol gasps in horror. "I'm not strong enough to spell the damn crystal ball and it was fine before you touched it. Your grandmother had no line of family and suddenly you pop up out of the blue claiming to be her granddaughter. Then, The Others attacked you and now here you are trying to change the history of ruling. If Elijah takes the Crown he will destroy everything in his path."

I roll my eyes at the dramatics. Political views never changed, even in the small town of Red Water. After a millisecond of silence, I narrow my eyes in suspicion, "How did you know about The Others attacking me in my home? I never told anyone that."

"Rumors spread quickly when you know where to listen." Carol explains. "If you defeat Sasha in the solo battle you will change the course of history and even witchery."

Before I could question more the flap of the tent is being opened. My grandmother stands in the entrance and she is holding a burgundy umbrella with a gold trim above her head. Everyone gasps when Eliza walks in behind her. The others immediately bow and I stand with my head high. Queen cane claps me on the back of my ankle and I hiss before slightly bowing my head. Eliza doesn't show any emotion. She is as calm as ever.

Eliza stands beside my grandmother with her hand clasp behind her back. She looks straight ahead, not in the eyes of anyone. Queen, however, chooses to speak her voice holding only authority. "Hal." She hisses. She seems shocked to see me here."The festival has been over hours ago. Why are you not home?" She questions.

I clench my jaw, thinking of a lie.

"Do not lie." She narrows her eyes. I roll my own and hiss when I am assaulted with the cane again.

"We were hanging out." I push through my teeth annoyed. "We lost track of time."

At this point, Eliza is making her way around the tent. Carol is desperately trying to hide the crystal ball with her body. I narrow my eyes suspiciously. Why are they here? I think to myself curiously. I turn my attention back to my grandmother. "Plus." I push further. "It's raining. I didn't want to risk getting sick."

Queen scoff like she knows I am lying. The tent becomes silent and no one expects Eliza to break it.

"There is a powerful aura here." Eliza speaks. I didn't know what to expect from Eliza. I've only seen her in her school uniform but today she is wearing dark fitted pants that are tucked into her dark boots that held several straps. Her shirt is hidden by her thick and dark modern cloak and her hair, as usual, is braided back in a tight braid. Her bronze skin glows on her face but her brown eyes focus on the aura of the tent. We all stand nervously and my eyes flick towards Carol. Say something. I scream at her through my eyes.

Carol claps her hand and jumps forward in excitement. "You must be mistaken." Her voice is loud and jolly as usual. "I promised everyone I wouldn't blow anything up this time." She jokes.

Sakiya laughs and I narrow my eyes. She never takes anything seriously. She wipes tears from beneath her eyes and asks, "May I leave?" She bows her head slightly. I roll my eyes at this. "I'm sure my guardians are looking for me."

Guardians? I think. I cock my head to the side curiously and remind myself to ask Iris about that.

Eliza holds her hand up.

Sasha and Atlas walk inside the tent and block the exit. Sasha arches her eyebrow at me in confusion and Atlas gives me a quick and curt nod. He looks better. They sport the same outfit as Eliza. I swallow. I'm trapped yet again. Dark witchery is considered illegal and I bet whatever aura Eliza is feeling feels dark. I chew on my bottom lip, stick my hand into my bag, and squeeze the dagger with my right hand.

Queen glances at me suspiciously.

"Witchery is often misguided and sometimes witches make erroneous assumptions." Eliza speaks, her voice holds authority. "I, however, do not."

"I assure you—" Carol speaks but she is cut off when the flaps of the tent are being open yet again.

My eyes widen in shock. Elijah walks in and holds the normal cocky smirk on his face. "Sister." He bows in a mockery manner.

Eliza pulls her attention away from me and onto her twin brother. It was odd seeing the familiarity in their features but Elijah's voice rumbles like thunder, whereas Eliza's voice commands the wind. Two forces of nature. Two views. It is a dangerous concept, but Carol is incorrect. Elijah had the blood in his veins.

He is fit to rule.

"You are going against The Elders law." Elijah speaks with a cocky smirk.

"What do you know about The Elders law?" Eliza inquires, her voice is as calm as the silent wind but powerful enough to destroy trees.

"It against the rules for the opponent's Head to visit the one chosen for the solo battle." Elijah smirk widens. "It could cause distress or even possible gambit. Are you here to convince my champion to purposely lose?"

Eliza never shows emotion in her face but if you pay close enough attention you can see why she keep her hand clasp behind her back. Her knuckles almost turn white from anger. I'm guessing Elijah has made a point from the glint in his eyes. She recovers quickly and speaks, "You have yet to select your champion." She cocks her head to the side and her eyes even glint for a millisecond. "Point to your champion."

Woah. I think to myself. They were definitely twins, just from different worlds. Elijah clenches his jaw. Eliza is very intelligent and from being around politics and ruling I'm sure she knew how to turn this around and take control over the situation.

Elijah clenches his jaw and you can see the anger sparkle in his eyes. The key difference between the twins, Eliza did not wear her emotions on her shoulders.

I look to Elijah who eyes are scanning over me and the others. He had to choose a champion now instead of waiting to train us to see who is best. He is clueless to who is best fit to go against Sasha in the solo battle.

"Hal Ashes." He speaks after a silent heartbeat.

My eyes widen, everyone in the room gasp and Queen raises her head high proud. I really wanted to roll my eyes at this moment. I am not prepared to battle against Sasha.

Eliza makes eye contact with me and her eyes is a glossy mocha brown. She nods her head respectfully and then turns to step around Carol. She finds the crystal ball quickly as if she knew where it was the entire time.

I squeeze my temples.

Eliza hesitantly places her hand on the crystal and I hold my breath. The crystal ball glows and then swirls before showing Eliza an image of herself and the Crown. Eliza removes her hand and look to Carol. "This is a child's toy."

Carol narrow her eyes, offended. I almost chuckle. "It is supposed to be fun." Carol explains.

Eliza places her hand back behind her back. She looks toward me one last time, "Champion." She nod. She then turns and walks out of the tent with Queen close behind her. Sasha's eyes catch mine with amusement. She gives me a cocky grin before turning and leaving the tent with Atlas close behind her.

Elijah squeezes my shoulder and gives me a grin. "Champion." He shakes with mirth. "I advise you all to use a cloaking spell next time you decide to use powerful witchery, it hides the aura." He walk toward the flaps and then turns before winking. "I do support cheating to win this competition. But, I do not advise getting caught. I shall see you my champion in three days." He bows in a mocking manner.

I clench my jaw annoyed.

"And you say he is fit to rule." Carol voices.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

272 38 29
"Erase every last trace of her, Leigh." Those were her mother's last words. Her sister, Skylar, who had gone missing five years ago, suddenly needed...
1.3K 201 25
After hitting her head and falling unconscious at a park during her school trip, Snow woke up twenty years into the future... A future that is, where...
143K 5.5K 47
Books 1& 2 of The Reckoning For thousands of years Lucifer has been waiting to rule humanity. When he finally discovers the sign that his time is nig...
169 15 12
When siblings Robin and Terra, are forced away from their comfortable home due to their abnormal powers, they are faced with double lives. However an...