Carnivore

Av SnappyCockatiel

"I don't want to let you go, but I can't stand to watch this." In a world where Fantasy is now Reality, Dream... Mer

Reader Guidelines [Updated 06/April/2020]
Act One - Regnum Noctis
i) Bestia Umbra
ii) Rancor Ignota
iii) Sanguis Opera
iv) Fissum
v) Repudium
vi) Mors Spiralis
vii) Indutias Relaxantur
Act Two - Credo in Arce
i) Probitatis
ii) Commodi Immemor
iii) Ostracismo
iv) Parietibus aut Lacundaribus
v) Impetum
vi) Concurso
vii) De Dimissione
viii) Actio ei Voca
ix) Octavius Missus
x) Reliquum Tempus
xi) Transuerso
xii) Subfocatio
Act Three - Gravis Animarum
i) Advenae
ii) Aequo Amino
iii) Seco
v) Conscendo

iv) Angustiarum

830 75 16
Av SnappyCockatiel

IT HAD BEEN A PECULIAR AFTERNOON FOR MANY REASONS. Far too many that Kirishima Eijirou had expected and by the following morning he was concerned.

Extremely concerned.

But he wouldn't voice it aloud. Not right now when he was as involved with Kennedy Zinnia's current situation as he was.

The usual, almost ritual afternoon snack-run had taken an awkward and rather odd turn upon the arrival of Zinnia's once-been classmate at the front of Yuuei, and as Zinnia lead the way, arm casually linked with the buxom bunny-girl's own and bouquet of bright flowers in her other, Eijirou followed along a few paces behind. He kept his hands buried in the pockets of his pants, maintaining a casual front in spite of the curiosity that was gnawing away at the back of his mind.

He vaguely recalled seeing a bunny-girl fitting this girl's appearance in a couple places, one indeed being back at the Hospital one time, another time guaranteed, though the where and why was evading him.

But it didn't matter right now.

His phone vibrated away within his pocket, undoubtedly due to an ongoing onslaught of messages from Kaminari demanding answers to any and every question he had on his mind. He'd ended up muting his phone simply to be free from the incessant chimes it would make so he could mull over his own thoughts, and of course make sure his friend didn't push her limits and wear herself out.

Regardless, he doubted he'd answer many of the torrential questions the blond had much later, anyway; It wouldn't be manly to gossip, regardless of the fact that Zinnia had essentially told him to come, too.

Soon enough, the three had wound up at the usual fast-food store, and the bunny-girl legitimately turned rigid at the sight of the store.

'I-I don't--' The bunny girl had began, however a yelp escaped her as Zinnia appeared to ignore her and seemed to drag her inside by force.

A remarkable feat considering physical strength was not in Zinnia's possession right now.

They had wound up taking the usual table, and after a brief moment of intervention, Eijirou had essentially forced Zinnia to sit down and let him order for them, not unlike she had done when Kaminari had joined them that one time. He was greeted by the familiar lilt of Zinnia's head towards the right, far less subtle than usual with more of her hair unable to be tied back, but she said nothing more than her request of anything sweet. Not that he was surprised, considering the girl's sweet tooth.

It took the Bunny-girl, now formerly introduced as Kobayashi Ritsuna, took at least four attempts to stammer out a request for just a cola, with an unsteady fist full of coins held out promptly to pay for her beverage.

Kobayashi seemed to remind him quite a bit of Midoriya and the way he would reduce to a nervous, stuttering mess the moment attention fell upon him. Except, for some reason it felt remarkably different. He couldn't exactly place why, however.

'I'm back.' Eijirou announced as he returned to the table with a tray of orders in his grasp, smiling amiably as he set both the cola and caramel pudding in front of the two girls. 'I asked them for extra caramel sauce for you, Zim.'

'I can tell.' His friend affirmed promptly as she scooped up her small bowl. 'Thanks, Eiji.'

The stuttered thanks he also received from Kobayashi were squeaked out promptly, as well.

However, the awkward silence that soon stretched out was uncomfortable, especially so for Eijirou, who'd decided he might as well start on his usual burger and fries. The shy Bunny-girl fidgeted with the straw of her drink almost obsessively before Zinnia decided to be merciful and break the silence.

'So... Kobayashi-san, was it?' The petite girl began between bites of her pudding, earning a prompt, frantic nod of Kobayashi's head. 'I appreciate the bouquet and the kind words, really. But, well... why did you come all the way out here to see me?'

Eijirou paused mid-bite of his burger to actually cast his friend a surprised look.

She sat unperturbed by her own question of course, absent-mindedly stirring her pudding into a lumpy puddle of lumpy caramel and egg, scarcely lifting her gaze from the contents to fix Kobayashi with a glance.

'I-I-I... w-well...' The bunny-girl stuttered, shrinking awkwardly in her seat.

'Oh, no need to be nervous.' Zinnia spoke up as she pointed her spoon absent-mindedly in Kobayashi's direction. 'I'm just curious.'

'I'm n-not?'

'You're not very convincing, there.' Zinnia responded.

'O-oi.' Eijirou cut in as he gently elbowed his friend to grab her attention. 'You're starting to get a little cut-throat there, you know?'

'I'm just being blunt.' She rebuked.

'Too blunt, Zim.'

'N-no! It's my f-fault!' Kobayashi cut in with a rather wry, albeit shy smile. 'I a-always sound l-like this... I g-get a lot of m-misunderstandings! It's o-okay, really...'

Misunderstandings?

'Oh, are your stutters neurological?' Zinnia asked with a clear tilt of her head.

Thankfully, it appeared Kobayashi wasn't offended by Zinnia's blunt questions and comments.

Eijirou took a large bite out of his burger as he leaned back in his seat and proceeded to filter out the questions Zinnia began to ask; He couldn't understand most of her medical words, anyway.

'K-kind of. Y-yes?' Kobayashi agreed meekly. 'I-I can't make m-my ears stand up l-like they used to e-either. I have ongoing d-d-damage because of... r-reasons?'

'Ongoing damage?' Zinnia pressed. 'Like deep contusions in the broca area of the frontal lobe?'

'U-umm, I think... m-maybe?'

'Is it a permanent speech impairment?'

'Oh. Y-yes.'

In spite of Eijirou's attempts at filtering out the two girl's brief conversation, the boy promptly choked on his burger.

'You know, Eiji, this love you have for meat is getting a little out of hand.' He faintly heard Zinnia quip as he coughed and wheezed in his seat. 'You're supposed to eat it, not inhale it.'

'Your concern for my wellbeing is touching...' The male gasped out.

'I'd be more concerned or worried if you couldn't handle a mere burger, Mister Riot Trainee.'

At that remark, Eijirou couldn't help but chuckle.

'Eat your pudding before you liquify it, already.'

'Caramel Pudding flavoured drink could be nice. But Pie would be best.' Zinnia mused with a smirk. 'Actually, now I want pie.'

'So?'

'Eiji, let's go get pie.'

'Is that your way of saying you want to watch that hunter series again?'

'No, but now that you've brought it up Eiji, we must buy pie and finish season 3.'

'The stores here aren't accustomed to your sudden cravings for cherry pie, Zim.'

'Psh... They should be.'

'You're just going to have to wait until my Mom decides to make some again.'

'...Can we sneak the ingredients into her fridge and trick her into making it today?'

'No.' The redhead denied with a scoff.

'But I want piiieeeee!'

'I'm not going to try and manipulate my Mom into serving your whims, Zim.'

'Come on, it's pieeee!'

'I'll ask her if she can make some and bring it in to class when she does, okay?'

'But I want's it noooooowwww.'

'Eat your pudding, Zim. You're being ridiculous.'

However, before Zinnia could respond in kind, a bright, chiming laugh echoed from the opposite side of the table, bringing the two to turn their attention upon their guest.

Kobayashi Ritsuna giggled through a hand clasped over her mouth, looking as if the banter between Zinnia and Eijirou was the most hilarious thing she had witnessed all month. The two cast each other a brief glance as the bunny-girl spluttered out stuttered apologies through her giggles and attempted to reign in her laughter.

He didn't think their banter was all that funny, but apparently it was.

'So, back to my original question, Kobayashi-san.' Zinnia decided to speak up as she sunk back into her chair, drawing the bunny's immediate attention within an instance. 'What brought you to come find me, today? Really?'

'T-to thank y-you?' The bunny responded hesitantly.

'Yeah, I got that from before, but why?' Zinnia pressed, a little more serious now that her attention was away from her fixation on sweets and the sudden reminder of a supernatural-occult television series. 'I don't mean any offence, but I honestly don't remember anything about you beyond seeing your name on the blackboard.'

Huh?

Eijirou turned to cast the tiny girl a curious look.

'O-oh... y-yes I... I th-thought that might be the case...' Kobayashi spoke with a sheepish smile. 'B-but you really have h-h-helped me. M-more than once.'

'Do you mind... I dunno. Enlightening me on that bit?' Zinnia insisted, her decimated pudding well and truly forgotten at that moment as she placed her undivided attention upon the bunny-girl. 'Because I'm really drawing a blank here.'

Eijirou eyed the look across Zinnia's face, from the perplexed expression and the telltale lilt of her head to the side that she always did when she was confused by something.

It looked like she was honestly having trouble remembering any instance, just as she said.

Even if it was minor given the head injury she had sustained that day of the villain attack, the fact that she was having such trouble was mildly concerning.

'Y-yes, umm... The s-second day of s-school you umm... I-intervened when K-Kanzaki-san a-and her friends were th-threatening m-me. About m-my desk?' Kobayashi proceeded to explain to the best of her abilities, though her brown did seem to furrow at the lack of response Zinnia offered in return. 'Th-they tried to h-hit you b-but you used your q-quirk to stop i-it? Y-you were given d-detention because o-of it, a-and those girls k-kept h-harassing you since?'

Zinnia remained silent without response.

And it appeared that Kobayashi was a little perplexed about the situation as well.

'D-don't you r-remember?' Kobayashi inquired hesitantly.

'I remember getting detention for something stupid, yeah.' The tiny girl responded with a sigh, ruffling her haywire hair with a tiny hand. 'I don't remember anyone making my life miserable, though.'

'Wh-what?' Kobayashi spluttered. 'B-b-but they got detention w-with you! They h-harassed y-you the whole time! E-even wh-when those v-villains came, th-they were still m-making things h-hard for you!'

Zinnia was silent at first before she let out a wry chuckle and simply said, 'Oh. Them. I remember now.'

However Eijirou remained silent, observing the micro-expressions in Zinnia's features.

Contrary to the relief that visibly engulfed Kobayashi at Zinnia's agreement, Eijirou was not the least bit convinced that she had suddenly remembered. Her expression was still off, head still lilted in confusion, and he could see a small, telltale twitch of her smile and the absent-minded tugging of her hair she seemed to do when she was uncomfortable.

Just like the way she would act whenever he would ask her if she was alright, or anything to do with her health. Exactly like she did when she was hiding something from him; and knowing her so well for the time he did, he knew without a shadow of doubt that there was something wrong.

Her memory was fine in every other regard; She wasn't having trouble remembering things, generally. And that Doctor friend of hers was confident that there was nothing concerning with her memory.

This wasn't good.

He was worried.

And that fake, insincere smile of hers did nothing to ease his concerns.

However, the sudden collision of a ketchup sachet against the middle of his forehead was prompt to jostle him out of his spiralling thoughts, and return his attention to the conversation at hand.

Or the lack of, more specifically.

'Eiji, you're letting your burger go cold.' Zinnia remarked with a raised brow, alerting the redhead to the fact that he must have drifted off to thought. 'How could you let an innocent burger waste away like this?'

'Oh, right!' He shook himself out of his stupor and promptly took a bite of his cooled burger. 'Sorry, lost in thought.'

'Clearly.' She scoffed.

But his thoughts weren't pushed aside, and instead, he watched, and worried.

Upon their departure from the take-out store with exchanged numbers and a brief pocket of farewells, Eijirou escorted Zinnia to ensure she got home safely. He mulled over his thoughts, offering brief responses whenever Zinnia would ask something of him, and once she was safely inside and the door was shut, he turned on his heel and proceeded to head home.

With a brief stop at a supermarket to pick up certain ingredients his mother would need if she did in fact agree to baking that pie for Zinnia.

The days repeated for the most part.

He would escort Zinnia to and from Yuuei, wait for her outside of Recovery Girl's office while she underwent her healing sessions, and generally kept himself within eyeshot of the girl if he could actually help it.

She never told him how well her healing sessions were going, only that she still needed them, and she never involved herself with class more than she had the first two days.

Iida seemed to feel the need to scold the girl for her apparent lack of interest in class almost on an hourly basis, instructing her to participate whole-heartedly like everyone else. And with each repetition, the class rep grew stricter, sterner, even. It was hard for Eijirou to keep his mouth shut and let things be, to not step in on Zinnia's defence and inform Iida that Zinnia's health prevented her from participating properly. Oddly enough, it was to his benefit that Kaminari decided to open his mouth in the girl's defence, and earned Iida's reprimanding lectures instead.

If it weren't because of Zinnia's wishes on the matter, Eijirou would have already done so the first time the class rep had reprimanded the girl.

The days ticked by until the eve of the Yuuei's Sports Festival, and Eijirou was standing outside of Recovery Girl's office, waiting for Zinnia to emerge after her healing session. A duffel bag of Zinnia's belongings rest on the floor by his feet, a change of clothes and everything else she would need to spend the night in lieu of their packed day tomorrow.

He was still brimming with worry, concerned with the inconsistencies that gnawed away at the back of his mind.

Eijirou had enough time since that afternoon talking with Kobayashi to have pieced together exactly what it was that Zinnia seemed to have forgotten.

It was those girls, the ones that the bunny girl had mentioned to have caused Zinnia a lot of grief in her short time at Sarayashiki High. She didn't remember them, not their names, faces, or even the fact that they even existed.

It was eerie, even with the answer he got from Recovery Girl when he stopped by during lunch break to ask her about it.

'It's not uncommon for people to suddenly forget things in the wake of a traumatic incident, Kirishima-kun.' Recovery Girl had told him solemnly when he'd presented the question to her. 'It's a coping mechanism you find in many sufferers of traumatic disorders, and given the events that have transpired around that school, I'm not the least bit surprised that Kennedy-san has at least one set of symptoms of it.'

And his answer?

'Just give her time, Kirishima-kun. It's only been two weeks since the incident, and these things can only heal with time. If all she's forgotten is bullies she likely won't meet again, then it's okay to leave her be, right? Just watch over her like you're already doing. That's all you can do.'

He had no answer.

He knew that Recovery Girl was right.

Perhaps it was because the last time he pushed aside Zinnia's condition, he later learned she was going through open heart surgery all alone, and he still felt horribly guilty for being so thoughtless. Perhaps he was trying so hard to make sure he didn't go and make that same mistake with her, he was worrying over something normal.

But he couldn't help that edge of foreboding, that edge of worry that still gnawed away at the back of his mind.

'Well, Kennedy-san, that's the best I can do for you right now.' Recovery Girl's voice rung out from within the office, approaching the door he was standing by quicker than he expected. 'Depending on how well your condition holds up after the Sports Festival tomorrow, I may be able to give you a clearance to go back to training under Seiya-sensei on light duties. Right now though, you've at least dodged a bullet with that worst-case scenario of Seiya-sensei's. Now we have to make sure you don't tip back towards it.'

'Thank you.' Zinnia's sleepy mumble echoed in response.

Back to work?

Eijirou turned his head towards the door as it clicked open, and out came Zinnia's sluggish form, still as pale as usual, and a few paces behind her was a rather relieved looking Recovery Girl.

'Now remember, pace yourself carefully, Kennedy-san. Always watch for that symptom you told me about and when you feel it surfacing, you must take action to remedy it immediately.' Recovery Girl instructed the girl sternly, all the while she piled a decent handful of gummies into Zinnia's tiny hands. 'I will be watching you tomorrow, and if I feel like you're overlooking the warning signs your body is giving you, I'll pull you straight out of the festival.'

'I understand, Recovery Girl.' Zinnia responded dutifully.

Hearing that was a load off of Eijirou's shoulders.

But he kept a respectable silence, none the less.

'Good.' Recovery Girl reaffirmed with a brief pat to Zinnia's head from atop her wheeled desk chair. 'In that case I look forward to seeing those new ideas you have with your quirk tomorrow.'

'Okay.'

New ideas?

'Now the both of you should head home now.' Recovery Girl continued as she looked up at Eijirou's silent form just a few feet away. 'You've got a big day tomorrow. Go get an early night.'

'Yeah. No problem, Recovery Girl.' Eijirou was the one to speak up that time, earning a closed-eye smile from the elderly woman as she shooed them both away.

Eijirou didn't hesitate to lift up Zinnia's bags from the floor by his feet, and he paid the pout she shot at him not a second later when he tugged the bags out of her immediate reach.

'Oi, Eiji--'

'So what are these new ideas you apparently have for the festival?' Eijirou cut in over the tiny girl, earning yet another pout in response as she walked along after him. 'They'd better be good since you haven't even bothered to share it with your best bro, here.'

'It's a surprise.' Zinnia promptly announced with a grin. 'Sorry Eiji, but you're going to have to wait and see.'

'Huh. Well that's a shame.' Eijirou mused with a dramatic sigh. 'And here I thought best bro's get better privileges than friends.'

'You really think Dedenne knows anything about it?' Zinnia quipped.

'I think you're failing to let me in on some badass stuff you have planned.'

'Badass? Hardly. It's just more fun this way.'

'I'm hurt, Zim.' He complained with a fake sniffle. 'And here I was about to message my mom and ask her about pie...'

'Wait!' Zinnia squeaked as she latched firmly to his arm. 'There's pie?!'

'Maybe...'

'What kind of pie?!'

'I was going to ask about it. But if you're so determined to have me wait and see these ideas of yours tomorrow, pie will have to wait, too.'

'Noooo! Wait! I want pieeee!' His friend complained dramatically. 'I'll tell you, okay! Your mom makes a mean fruit pie!'

'I dunno. It wouldn't be manly to spoil your surprise, after all.'

'It's not manly to torment your friend with bribes of pie, either, but here we are.' The tiny girl quipped.

'It was a joke, you know.' Eijirou chuckled.

'I know.'

Perhaps his worrying could be put aside for the time being.

Right now, things seemed like they were improving for the girl, and he had to respect that.

As he followed a much more enthusiastic Zinnia throwing demands over her shoulder that they finish Season Three of that series she was so interested in, he guessed the only thing he could do right now was watch.

She was hiding things from him, but he shrugged them off and decided that it could wait until another time.

--=[Submitted September 6th 2019, at 3409 words in total]=--

Sorry about the wait everyone, and I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I'm trying to get back into writing, but it's taking me a lot of effort to get over this writing block. I'm hoping once things in life start, well, sorting themselves out, I'll be able to.

Some of you guys are already aware of this, but for those who don't, I've got a kind of survey put up in my dropbox about an issue I'm having with something on Wattpad. The direct link to the survey is on my main page, either on my about tab or in my announcements, please check it out if you haven't. This will also be brought up on my Marionette update I will post in a couple days as well.

Anyways, all the best guys~!

<3 Loki-Roki (Until the Handle Change).

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

849K 34.6K 130
Izuku Midoriya had always been interested in Quirks. He loved studying them and discussing them with his father. It was due to this interest in Quirk...
137K 3.6K 47
When U.A. High opened its doors for the first time, everyone wanted to go there. With the entire staff being made of top heroes, both retired ones an...
173K 7.9K 25
cold concrete. darkness. it's the first few things that float back to you as you wake up in a building seemingly trashed and decaying. a strange powd...
3.5K 246 51
In a world where 80% of the human population possess ability's called quirks, it's easy to get lost in the idea of heroes and villains. Gushing over...